Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Our needy little pandemic baby will wake up from a nap and start hollering until we pick up her up and cradle her/rub her belly. This was alarming at first since Katya barely makes any noise and we didn't have any other frame of reference, but turns out she's just a noisy cuddle bug.

e: she is baby

Harold does this too, including the ‘laying across shoulder like a purring scarf’ thing. He’s lucky it’s heartwarming because he kneads me too and it hurts :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat recently discovered the shower and will now bolt across the apartment to jump in as soon as I finish showering. I can't figure out the appeal, because she doesn't lick or drink any of the water - she just sits down facing the faucet, stares for a while, then jumps out and complains loudly about me drying her off. (I would just leave her alone, but she was leaving damp spots on furniture/etc that aren't meant to get wet)

Sigh.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
FLEAS. GODDAMN FLEAS.

Oh, don't you huff at me when I squirt topical flea repellent at you, cat, you're the one bringing home your bitey little friends.

No, I don't care that you're flouncing off, in fact it makes my life easier when you're not under my feet as I'm hoovering all the carpets and putting all the soft furnishings you've been sitting on in the wash.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jayne Doe posted:

My cat recently discovered the shower and will now bolt across the apartment to jump in as soon as I finish showering. I can't figure out the appeal, because she doesn't lick or drink any of the water - she just sits down facing the faucet, stares for a while, then jumps out and complains loudly about me drying her off. (I would just leave her alone, but she was leaving damp spots on furniture/etc that aren't meant to get wet)

Sigh.

Mine are equally enamored with falling water. My tuxedo will plow through shampoo bottles lined up on the counter like a bowling ball to jam her head under the faucet when I'm washing my hands, but they all but ignore the little fountain-style water bowl I got them :argh:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My cat is so precious every time I sneeze she runs up to me to comfort me like she does when I have anxiety. She doesn't understand what the sneezes means but she knows what she must do just in case...

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Mine are equally enamored with falling water. My tuxedo will plow through shampoo bottles lined up on the counter like a bowling ball to jam her head under the faucet when I'm washing my hands, but they all but ignore the little fountain-style water bowl I got them :argh:
Oh, yeah, mine goes nuts for the sink. She's still too timid to try jumping into the shower while it's actually on, but she'll circle and stare at the water through the inner sheer shower curtain. I thought about buying a cat fountain, but I feel like that's just inviting puddles.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mine used to not care about the shower and would just wait by the toilet for me to get out, but now she meows worringly when I get in. Only if I’m in it though. I can run the water and do anything else and she won’t care.

She also hasn’t ever done the slow squint and it makes me sad :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So we brought our cat back from the vet after a weekend stay to unblock him, he's mosdy but in better health than Friday. Though he seems to be grinding his teeth whenever he eats, is this a stress behavior or something due to nausea from the medication?

Edit: apparently he only does it with soft foods, he'll eat kibble without any conplaint. But a pate or one of those pureed treats seem to cause him pain.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 16, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Okay how much should I be feeding Quill? She's 5 months old now, about 5.5lbs, and she gets 1.5 cans of this royal canin kitten food every day (half a can with each meal, three times a day). She's starting to get to the point where she eats the whole meal in one sitting or so, whereas before she ate maybe 2/3 of it and then ate the rest over 2-3 hours.

She looks on-target for weight, still has clearly defined hips and such, definitely not 'heavy'.

The royal canin insert doesn't make any sense to me:

So if the cat was 7-12 months, the range is 3 to 2 1/4 cans in 24hr? But if they're 5-6 months the range is 3 to 3? That doesn't make any sense to me.

e: used a calculator and it suggested 2 cans per 24hr. We also add about a tablespoon of dry food with the three feeds so maybe a tiny bit less than 2 cans of wet a day.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 17, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The rule of thumb is 20 calories per pound. So if you want to be precise that's what I'd use to start with, going up to 30 per pound if kitty is high energy.

But it's also fine to eyeball feeding them and keep an eye on their body shape. The vet will give recommendations during their annual checkup too, so doing whatever is fine as long as you take the advice.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think growing kittens also have more leeway to just eat as much as they like. I've seen a lot of fat cats but never a fat kitten!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

The rule of thumb is 20 calories per pound. So if you want to be precise that's what I'd use to start with, going up to 30 per pound if kitty is high energy.

But it's also fine to eyeball feeding them and keep an eye on their body shape. The vet will give recommendations during their annual checkup too, so doing whatever is fine as long as you take the advice.

Organza Quiz posted:

I think growing kittens also have more leeway to just eat as much as they like. I've seen a lot of fat cats but never a fat kitten!

Alright, thanks both. It's more a selfish thing where I don't want to go through having to reduce the amount I feed her and having to see the realization of betrayal in her eyes.

My vet doesn't want to spay until 6 months, I'm worried she'll have an estrus cycle before then (and thus be more at risk of cancers later in life), should I find another vet to do the spay 'early' or should I just get it done at 6mo? Thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Six months is traditional and the upside is the odds are against her going into heat. You can find doctors that will do it earlier but it can be challenging work because the organs are so tiny at that point.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Organza Quiz posted:

This was our vet's advice, but only until she was old enough to be spayed. After that we gave her what we give our adult cat (something like 45-50 grams a day in dry food, wet once a week because I wouldn't want to only eat kibble).

Kimchi was spayed at 5 months and a bit at the vet's suggestion, I assume pandemic planning had something to do with that as well. Have you brought up your concerns with your vet? It depends on the cat and their development as well because it can be a risky procedure when they're too small.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Whenever my wife takes a bath, Boots the Younger spends a good five or ten minutes in there staring in concern and meowing as if he's concerned that she is willingly immersing herself in water. He also loves to hop in a freshly-drained tub, meow a few times, and hop out.

Princess stalks my wife in the bathroom and rolls around like a goober on the bath mat.

Elder Boots follows me in for a bath or shower and proceeds to turkitty on the bath mat so that I can't get out without stepping on him.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My cat will patiently wait for me outside the shower just to lick the water off my skin. I have no idea where she picked this up or what she gets out of this.

I indulge her for a few seconds before it starts freaking me out a little bit, idk why, she just gets really intense about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When they were kittens our current cats loved the post shower routine, they'd jump in and lick the water and stare in amazement at drops from the faucet.

Now they're mature lazy cats and they can't be bothered to give a poo poo. They have determined the water is not a threat and is just a silly thing that humans do.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wednesday has trained me to scritch her (specifically the base of the tail spot) when I piss. I realised this when I woke up in the night recently and she was in the bathroom waiting before I had chance to really clock that I'd woken up to use the toilet.

The downside for her is that she refuses to leave when I am making GBS threads, so she gets shut in with me until I am done which she does. not. like.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Cats make surprisingly good lap warmers.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Bollock Monkey posted:

Wednesday has trained me to scritch her (specifically the base of the tail spot) when I piss. I realised this when I woke up in the night recently and she was in the bathroom waiting before I had chance to really clock that I'd woken up to use the toilet.

The downside for her is that she refuses to leave when I am making GBS threads, so she gets shut in with me until I am done which she does. not. like.
My partner's two cats Merlin and Kali love to lounge in the bathroom and drink from an old teakettle that we keep on the floor for them in there*. When I stayed with her over the summer, at first I tried to close the door whenever I had to use the toilet, but they would moan and cry and paw incessantly until I opened it. Now I leave it cracked when I go in and they usually follow immediately and get up in my business. Staring up at me with soulful blue eyes when I'm trying to poop.

*They do each have their own water bowls in other rooms, but for some reason they love poking their heads into the top of this kettle to drink. Merlin sometimes also dips his paw and licks off the moisture, it's rather cute. We just change / top up the water any time one of us showers.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
:lol: if you don't live alone like a misanthropic hermit and just leave the bathroom door open at all times. But yeah both of mine will frequently keep me company while I'm trying to do a Sudoku puzzle or something in there :mad: And also lick shower water off my shins until I shoo them away with my foot. What the hell cats?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I have little foam stoppers on the top of my doors so they can’t even close all the way. Shame on you if you don’t let kitty guard you while you poop :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Harold will sit in the hallway and guard the door while keeping an eye on me, yes. Maybe it's because his poop zone has a little roof to hide his shame from the world but mine doesn't.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gloom posted:

*They do each have their own water bowls in other rooms, but for some reason they love poking their heads into the top of this kettle to drink. Merlin sometimes also dips his paw and licks off the moisture, it's rather cute. We just change / top up the water any time one of us showers.

My cat has a water bowl but insists on drinking from a mug on an end table. If the mug is missing or otherwise has too little water in it, she will just sit on the end of the couch and stare at you.

This literally started 6 years ago because one morning I was hungover and drinking water out of a mug, and I left it unattended for a minute or so. The next thing I see is my cat with her head as far in as possible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've always figured it's because cats appreciate fresh water and us humans are much more likely to be drinking stuff fresh out of the tap. Even if you get them a fountain bowl it sits out in the open all day and maybe they like cool crisp water just as much as we do.

I have noticed when a cat head has been crammed into my water glass and I pour it into their bowl as I carry the now contaminated drink to the kitchen they will follow me and take a drink.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God, yeah, every single cat I've every known is obsessed with the bathroom. Our three cats will come and hang out and demand pets when someone's on the toilet, often all at the same time. Two of them are obsessed with watching me shower, and one will hop in the tub and drink my leftover shower water - and taught one of the others to do the same. One of our cats was obsessed with the toilet when he was a kitten, and actually JUMPED IN while I was peeing once.

Even our foster cats do it. All the kittens would gather around anyone in the bathroom, including climbing into the pants around my legs. And our two current adult foster cats will beg pets in the bathroom - one of them, who is very shy, realized that if someone is on the toilet or in the shower, she can approach and get quite close to investigate you without the possibility of being touched, because you'd have to get up off the toilet or out of the shower to do so.

loving cats and bathrooms, man.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 18, 2021

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Harriet Carker posted:

Any ideas? Is this just cats being cats?

Do you have any windows that Latte is looking out of? There may be something outside - either sounds, or lights from cars passing, or the smell of cats moving around near your apartment - that could be the culprit.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Iron Crowned posted:

My cat has a water bowl but insists on drinking from a mug on an end table. If the mug is missing or otherwise has too little water in it, she will just sit on the end of the couch and stare at you.

This literally started 6 years ago because one morning I was hungover and drinking water out of a mug, and I left it unattended for a minute or so. The next thing I see is my cat with her head as far in as possible.

Adorable :) Merlin developed the habit when he stayed with my partner's parents for a few days over a winter holiday. They kept the full kettle near the hearth for humidity, and he started drinking from it, maybe because that way he could stay in the heat radius of the fireplace rather than go to his bowl in the kitchen. When we picked him up, we took the kettle too.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Two of them are obsessed with watching me shower, and one will hop in the tub and drink my leftover shower water - and taught one of the others to do the same.
The transmission of cat knowledge makes this especially funny. After we adopted Kali this summer, she learned to drink from the kettle by copying Merlin. Now they take turns, each waiting politely for the other to finish.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gloom posted:

The transmission of cat knowledge makes this especially funny.

You are now about to witness the strength of cat knowledge

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat also loves drinking from glasses, so since I also love it, it always takes a bit of effort to keep the water out of the cat's reach. If I leave it out, there will be a cat head in it when I come back

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine both leave standing water alone, but my fatass tuxedo will ninja her way across almost anything to get at a cup of milk if I leave it unattended for .2 seconds. I've tried giving her a little bit in a saucer and she turned her nose up, she's not even into the milk itself, she just wants to be doing something she knows she's not supposed to do :negative:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Takes No Damage posted:

she just wants to be doing something she knows she's not supposed to do :negative:

cat.exe working as intended

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Takes No Damage posted:

Mine both leave standing water alone, but my fatass tuxedo will ninja her way across almost anything to get at a cup of milk if I leave it unattended for .2 seconds. I've tried giving her a little bit in a saucer and she turned her nose up, she's not even into the milk itself, she just wants to be doing something she knows she's not supposed to do :negative:

I have to drink my milk in the kitchen while I make breakfast, because if I try to drink it with breakfast, my cat is on top of it. The problem is she puts her paw in the milk, in the classic "testing the water" thing cats do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I have to drink my milk in the kitchen while I make breakfast, because if I try to drink it with breakfast, my cat is on top of it. The problem is she puts her paw in the milk, in the classic "testing the water" thing cats do.

Wait is that why they do that? I thought it was just a dumb playing thing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sometimes it's playing but if they do it just a little bit before they drink it's because cats can't see the water level while the water is still, so some stick their paw in to test the water level so they don't have to test with their face. If you watch a cat who doesn't test with their paw then they'll usually gingerly lower their face in and sometime flinch back a teensy bit when they hit water.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I don't drink milk but mine are obsessed with yoghurt and cheese. I know they're lactose intolerant but I'll still let them lick a little plain yoghurt off my finger every now and then. Also cheese makes a great pill-pocket I've found.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a couch set from the 90s with that same upholstery. My cat loves it as a scratching post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Diana insists on eating the leftovers of my oatmeal, so I've started having to close the bedroom door while I have breakfast. She is cross about this.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to leave some leftovers in my plate for the cats to eat so now they’re sniffing at it and looking and me and I feel like a piece of poo poo. I really do have the brain worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Has anyone used the puffed sweetcorn litter? We're on the hunt for a new litter after the amazing one we bought to make up a postage limit turned out to be impossible to buy at a reasonable price. But the sweetcorn one says that some cats love to eat it...

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I don't drink milk but mine are obsessed with yoghurt and cheese. I know they're lactose intolerant but I'll still let them lick a little plain yoghurt off my finger every now and then. Also cheese makes a great pill-pocket I've found.

Wednesday always gets to lick the yoghurt pot. She's a big fan of banana flavour.