Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

err posted:

Is the C1 the most recommended cheap OLED now or something? I am looking for one and seeing all these posts about it.

Yea it's not really cheap, there are way cheaper OLED's, and there's also some much more expensive options. But it's 100% the best value for money if it's within your budget, especially if you want to be able to do 4k/120hz on a modern console/pc. It has every modern feature, supports everything you could want to do on a TV, and doesn't really compromise anywhere while still being reasonably priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Hi guys,

I am looking for a tv for 500 or under (i live in germany so EUR). I will be hooking it up to a switch and my pc.

Im not a graphics nut- i havent bought a tv in 10 years and usually use a computer monitor.

I have a collection of old consoles and it would be great to sometimes hook them up so if there is an option that has scart/ rgb etc inputs that would be great, but im guessing unlikely. If not i would also love suggestions about a method of hooking up old stuff to said tv...

Cheers.

Alex

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think the pro-tier way would be to find yourself an industrial crane to lift a PVM into your place.

Modern TVs have a bunch of video and audio processing that can sometimes cause lag with older consoles, plus the whole "using CRT limitations as hacks around poo poo" like transparency that older games used to do.

There's also converter boxes like the Framemeister that would help you hook an SCART signal to an HDMI-port on a TV. Or multi-inout switches if you want the traditional GAMER display of 12 consoles you can play at any time.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 14, 2021

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

mattfl posted:

Is there any reason not to use the built in apps on the C1? I use my Roku Ultra device for youtube tv and Plex. It would seem the built in apps work just as well if not better. Especially the Plex app as there seems to be some HDCP 2.2 software bug preventing devices plugged in via HDMI from working correctly. It's a known issue with 2021 LG OLEDs. Right now if I try and play one of my 4k files from my Plex server on my Roku I get an error about HDCP 2.2 not being supported. However if I play the same file from the built in Plex app it works fine. Using ARC/EARC it's also sending the audio back to my receiver just fine as well.

The main issue I’ve seen is that most smart TV built-in apps are hard limited to 60 Hz, which results in 3:2 pulldown judder with movies on Netflix/HBO/etc. That said, from my research it’s pretty hit or miss as to what streaming boxes support 24 Hz apps, and playing around with TV motion settings may render the judder moot anyway.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does it make sense that I should upgrade my 4K AppleTV to the newer one because of the higher frame rate HDR for my QN90a? Also, I'm seeing some judder on 1080p content from my Plex that I am unsure if an upgrade would justify. I just don't know enough about this stuff to tell what's meaningful or not. Thanks in advance!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I would upgrade just to get rid of that terrible remote.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I would upgrade just to get rid of that terrible remote.

I already picked up the new remotes when they were released.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

Does it make sense that I should upgrade my 4K AppleTV to the newer one because of the higher frame rate HDR for my QN90a? Also, I'm seeing some judder on 1080p content from my Plex that I am unsure if an upgrade would justify. I just don't know enough about this stuff to tell what's meaningful or not. Thanks in advance!

Try killing the plex app and starting it back up.

I noticed some judder recently and the app was the problem. And no, you’re not going to benefit from that since your source material is 24fps.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Try killing the plex app and starting it back up.

I noticed some judder recently and the app was the problem. And no, you’re not going to benefit from that since your source material is 24fps.

Thanks, will give that a go. Is there any content that will benefit from the 60fps 4k? YouTubeTV, Netflix, HBO Max, etc? Or is this a fringe benefit from the new ATV?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TraderStav posted:

Thanks, will give that a go. Is there any content that will benefit from the 60fps 4k? YouTubeTV, Netflix, HBO Max, etc? Or is this a fringe benefit from the new ATV?

except for the hobbit movies, no. that’s the standard your eyes are used to.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 85" X91J $2198 shipped - includes $100 Visa gift card and 4-year accident warranty from CPS.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I picked up an LG C1 to use as a second monitor for couch gaming and also to hook up a Mister to, to play old games. I got it from Best Buy and their extended coverage sucked (in my opinion).

It has a 1 year parts and labor warranty from LG but I’m a bit concerned about burn in. What’s my best and easiest option for protecting it, aside from not using it to play games? Are there other companies that will extend my warranty for a reasonable price? I just bought it today.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Chinook posted:

I picked up an LG C1 to use as a second monitor for couch gaming and also to hook up a Mister to, to play old games. I got it from Best Buy and their extended coverage sucked (in my opinion).

It has a 1 year parts and labor warranty from LG but I’m a bit concerned about burn in. What’s my best and easiest option for protecting it, aside from not using it to play games? Are there other companies that will extend my warranty for a reasonable price? I just bought it today.

I've had my LG C6 for 5 years now, played many many hours of video games on it, and have never had any burn in. You'll be fine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yo I’m not really a TV guy, question:

That’s not taken upside down, my gf’s tv is non-responsive stuck doing this and the old power cycle dance doesn’t help

Is this easily saved or is it time for a trip to Costco?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Simply sit further back and also hang from the ceiling

I would take it back if it’s under warranty if that’s wha thou mean by taking a trip to Costco.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s one dude in this thread who’s so jealous right now.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Wheeee posted:

That’s not taken upside down, my gf’s tv is non-responsive stuck doing this and the old power cycle dance doesn’t help

Sounds like an opportunity to live up to your username

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s one dude in this thread who’s so jealous right now.

I was JUST thinking about that guy haha

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

:rip:

it's out of warranty so new tv from costco it is then, thanks folks

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

TraderStav posted:

'Drive to Survive' on Netflix.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

"Life's Gone."

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wheeee posted:

:rip:

it's out of warranty so new tv from costco it is then, thanks folks

Amazon (canada) has the TCL 4 series on for cheap, probably the same in the US as well

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man. 83" C1 is 4600€ in Germany. You get 1000€ Cashback so net price is 3600€ including taxes. That is some sick pricing.

In Finland 77" C1 is 3000€. So is 77" A80J Sony. 83" sizes are 5000€.

Sony vs LG.. I guess I'll have to do with the 77" size since the Cashback requires a German address and bank account.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

5000 euros jesus thats like 10 million canadian maple hockey puck dollars

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

55" TCL 55S535 $398 shipped from Walmart

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

codo27 posted:

Amazon (canada) has the TCL 4 series on for cheap, probably the same in the US as well

:canada: here too

https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-Class-UHD...s%2C2155&sr=8-2

This looks pretty good for only $400? I have a TCL 6 series in my bedroom and aside from some vignetting at the corners I’m happy with it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Do any of you guys game on a Sony A80j? I’m nearly ready to pull the trigger on one, but I’m terrified by reports of the screen dimming by 50% when the TV detects a HUD or static game element. Evidently LG TVs dim only the HUD, but Sony dims the whole drat screen, aggressively.

I can’t figure out if this is an edge case or something regularly encountered though. Any firsthand knowledge?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Slow day at work so I spent some time skimming through the OP and the last 20ish pages of the thread. Then I spent some time browsing Google (wow that Shopping tab is not great), Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, etc. My main conclusion is that I am definitely going to gently caress this up and spend too much money on a TV that randomly switches colour modes, takes 3 minutes to switch inputs, and has random Bluetooth and wifi popup messages.

Anyways, I’m in Canada :canada:, trying to spend $1000 or less on a 65” 4K. I don’t think I need (read: can afford) OLED, and I don’t watch sports or own a PS5, so 60Hz is probably fine. Honestly 4K seems extravagant at this point, but I’m sure we’ll pick up a 4K AppleTV or something soon. Unfortunately the TV is staying above the fireplace, which is at the correct height if you’re standing up, and we don’t have room up there for a 70”+.

Qs:
1. At what point should I upgrade the wall mount? It seems to hold up our 50” Toshiba ok (from Target Canada’s closing sale lol), but the mount came with the house and I’m not sure what the specs are on it.
2. I’m thinking something like this HiSense or this Sony - any opinions? Or recommendations, if you’re also in the Canadian-fake-Black-Friday-sale boat

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Need to get a new TV soon and this is as good a time as any, probably.

Someone earlier in this thread posted the TCL 55" Class 5-Series 4K UHD Dolby Vision HDR QLED Roku Smart TV, sale sadly over so now it's US $480

Elsewhere I keep seeing things such as the SAMSUNG 55" Class Neo QLED 4K for US $1200

My question with these is essentially what the difference is that leads to them both being recommended picks - both QLED, both 55", both 4K, with the Samsung being over twice as expensive? Surely it's not just smart features and HDMI ports and all of that extra poo poo?

If anyone wants to specifically recommend something, this will be probably a 55" or 65" TV mostly to just watch sports and the odd movie on and our budget is probably around $1200 for the TV itself, I'm assuming I'll need a separate sound system if the first post is to be believed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not 100% but the TCL may not be a Full Array Local Dimming backlight (or may have less zones) than the Samsung.

The Samsung may also have a brighter panel, or 4k@120 support. QLED also means Quantum dots for better color.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Slow day at work so I spent some time skimming through the OP and the last 20ish pages of the thread. Then I spent some time browsing Google (wow that Shopping tab is not great), Amazon, Best Buy, Costco, etc. My main conclusion is that I am definitely going to gently caress this up and spend too much money on a TV that randomly switches colour modes, takes 3 minutes to switch inputs, and has random Bluetooth and wifi popup messages.

Anyways, I’m in Canada :canada:, trying to spend $1000 or less on a 65” 4K. I don’t think I need (read: can afford) OLED, and I don’t watch sports or own a PS5, so 60Hz is probably fine. Honestly 4K seems extravagant at this point, but I’m sure we’ll pick up a 4K AppleTV or something soon. Unfortunately the TV is staying above the fireplace, which is at the correct height if you’re standing up, and we don’t have room up there for a 70”+.

Qs:
1. At what point should I upgrade the wall mount? It seems to hold up our 50” Toshiba ok (from Target Canada’s closing sale lol), but the mount came with the house and I’m not sure what the specs are on it.
2. I’m thinking something like this HiSense or this Sony - any opinions? Or recommendations, if you’re also in the Canadian-fake-Black-Friday-sale boat

You really missed out on the TCL 4 series that was 499 the other day and would have done you fine. Find some models that are in your price range and check them against rtings.com

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Qs:
If the wall mount fits the new tv it would probably be able to handle a new bigger tv since they're so much lighter than previous generation tvs.

Either of those tvs should be fine for what you want. If you wanted to upgrade to a better tv, then I'd go for a Hisense 88g or a TCL 6 series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've had the TCL 6 series for about a year now and have been loving it, but i haven't had a chance to really get any use out of the 120hz panel. From my understanding it can display up to 120fps, but only in 1080p is that correct? I ask because I am picking up a series X and I think it'll play some older games at 120...How do I take advantage of that? It that a setting I need to toggle? Automatic?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, you probably have the same one as me that technically, the panel can do 4k120 but its lacking the HDMI 2.1 standard that would allow that capability. I dont know if thats a possible firmware update or not at some point, I probably wouldn't hold my breath for that though if it is possible with a company of that tier.

Manual will tell you which HDMI ports can do what (also have to factor in if you have any intermediaries like an AV receiver who's capability must also be respected). The XSX's bundled cable ought to be capable of whatever its able to pump out, and the system should then automatically be able to determine what res and refresh it can do if you go into the consoles settings.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

codo27 posted:

You really missed out on the TCL 4 series that was 499 the other day and would have done you fine. Find some models that are in your price range and check them against rtings.com

Animale posted:

If the wall mount fits the new tv it would probably be able to handle a new bigger tv since they're so much lighter than previous generation tvs.

Either of those tvs should be fine for what you want. If you wanted to upgrade to a better tv, then I'd go for a Hisense 88g or a TCL 6 series.

Thanks all, my wife and I went out and looked at some TVs in person and the TCL 5 series seems to be a good fit. Couldn’t find a Hisense to look at in person but the at the “entry level” price point :geno: the TCL’s looked better than the Sony, LG and Samsungs. According to rtings there is a newer version of the TCL 5 series (S546, replacing the S535) with better brightness but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral
PSA: After looking at my local Costco for a while and not being able to find the Denon S760H, I randomly looked at the Denon website and hey - this thing is widely available now!

https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-s760h

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speaking of TCLs. My parents called me the other day after the 2008 Samsung I gave them about 8 years ago started having problems (and by "started" I mean not working at all. The picture has been trash for like 3 years but they just used it anyways lol) and they wanted to get a new TV.

I explained to them in depth the best I could, why they should go with a TCL or Hisense, but to get a TCL since they can never figure out technology and at least I could try and troubleshoot it for them. Told them to get a 5 series since they would never use the features on a higher model. Tbh they are probably just going to try and plug their old DVD/VCR combo up to it with composite cables. But I did tell them they would love Roku TV etc. And that there is no way they should be walking out of there spending more than 700. My dad thanks me and agrees he will go with a 5 series.

15 minutes later he calls me "hey the best buy guy said a lot of these come back for repair and I should get a Sony". Well dad, I'm just going off like every consumer report online and my personal experience here, but maybe don't listen to some teenagers anecdotal evidence? How much is the Sony? $1300. Ok yeah, dad you don't need a $1300 TV. I look up the model. It sounds fine. Way more than they need. "go with the TCL". Ok son, thanks. We will do that. Suspiciously I don't get another phone call. of course they went with the Sony, because in my dads words "we didn't think we'd use the Roku".

My parents will treat me like their tech guru even though all I do is google stuff, expecting me to guide them through everything. But the second a complete stranger tells them anything they ignore whatever I have told them. I knew this was going to happen before they even walked into the BB.

Don't get me wrong the TV they bought seems fine https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/televisions/all-tvs/p/xr65x90j But they don't need a loving 120hz 4k gaming panel lol. And when they can't figure out how to use the controller the day it's delivered I'm not even bothering trying to help. Just gonna tell them to call Sony.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I picked up the Denon S760H at a nearby Costco for $440 and it's been great so far. As noted, it is not on their website anymore, but there are pallets of them in every Costco still, it seems. Mine had 8-10 just sitting there last week. (Sac Norcal area).

It was really easy to configure once you plug it into your network and capture the ip address and go to the web to do the rest which also makes it really easy to fine tune settings right from your laptop instead of futzing around with the remote or phone app.

I found it best to just totally ignore their Audessey microphone results thingie which sounded like crap and wanted to push way too much to the center speaker (Polk CS10) and surround speakers (Polk T15) and I just set the speaker distances and volume as I had them in my previous 2015 era Yamaha RX-V479. Having many more settings to tweak is also great.

After replacing my 2016 era HDMI cables with some new ultra high speed versions from Infinite Cables, I was able to do pass through of my Apple TV 4k to my 2016 era Sony XBR 930D 55". The TV has worked great over the years, but it does have that brutal input delay noted in all the reviews that is really annoying, so it's ready to be moved to the bedroom TV position soon and replaced with one of the around $2k 65" LG or Sony models out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Couldn’t find a Hisense to look at in person

Visions.ca sells them, with physical locations in certain major cities.