Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

How’s Dusk for someone who never played boomer shooters? Is it something you sorta had to be there in order to appreciate?
I'm old enough to have played Doom as a kid but never really got into that genre super hard. Dusk owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Jesus Christ, I'm bad at Typing Of The Dead: Overkill. It's saying I'm in +58.000th place for the first level, on the easiest difficulty.

I will never give up, muscle memory has to kick in sooner or later

e: Typing Of The Bad

If you're really trying to improve your touch typing I recommend using one of the free online courses instead. Typing Club worked for me.

Repetition is the key not pressure and you'll develop far better habits/muscle memory than playing a typing game.

The games are fun to come back to but are very very bad for learning.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

How’s Dusk for someone who never played boomer shooters? Is it something you sorta had to be there in order to appreciate?

Dusk owns

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fez_machine posted:

If you're really trying to improve your touch typing I recommend using one of the free online courses instead. Typing Club worked for me.

Repetition is the key not pressure and you'll develop far better habits/muscle memory than playing a typing game.

Alright, why not. I just click Get Started and do the exercises?

Whatever happens, I am coming back to TOTD to improve my score

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Alright, why not. I just click Get Started and do the exercises?

Whatever happens, I am coming back to TOTD to improve my score

Yeah!

Don't stress about your times just go for accuracy and good hand positioning habits (if you're anything like me as an adult learner you've probably acquired some bad habits that'll be hard to totally shake). Do it in small chunks every day. You need to go slow to get fast.

When you feel like you've got in to a good place, you can start to aim for 5 star scores and even platinum-ranking the exercises.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

fez_machine posted:

After a good session just now, I can confirm Typing Club owns. I badly need to work on my form, and this seems like the ticket. Thanks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Can you tolerate lowfi graphics if they're on a solid gameplay base?
If so, get DUSK.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
DUSK looks a lot better in motion, I gotta say. It's difficulty level certainly isn't hard, if you like moving fast and shooting things you'll have a good time.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I'm the 15th guy saying Dusk kicks rear end, and if you're at all curious about it you should buy it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I hated formal typing lessons as a kid. Nobody was going to tell what finger to use to press what key; I was going to do it my way. I gave up on Mavis Beacon and sat in AOL chatrooms playing "scrambler" (unscramble the word/sentence before anyone else does) games for hours a day, then later got into the original Typing of the Dead. I type faster than anyone I've ever met. I guess my point is if you're frustrated by typing games, absolutely try formal typing tutors, but if you hate formal typing tutors, typing games are good too, and it's definitely possible to learn your own way if you practice enough.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Funnily enough I was forced to take a typing class in middle school and it was a bit of a pain because I had already taught myself to type thanks to being extremely online as a kid. I think ultimately the class did help a little bit, but these days I'm either all speed or all accuracy but never both. :v:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I had typing lessons and vaguely remember something about some really bizarre instructions for which fingers to hit which keys. I don't remember the details anymore, but staring at my keyboard now I'm thinking something along the lines of hitting "b" with your right hand finger (instead of the left), or hitting "r" with your middle finger instead of your index finger.
Also I can never remember any of the symbol keys on the number row.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The 'proper' way to type is fingers on asdf hjkl which puts B under your right index finger, yeah. I'm one of the people who taught themself to type as a kid and I have a bizarre fingerpecking style where I essentially only use 1-2 fingers on each hand and I wave my hands over the keyboard like I think I'm a DJ, but I type well over 100wpm anyway. Touch typing is unnecessary to be a good typist, imo just memorization of the keyboard and then trusting yourself to not look at it/think about it is all you need - which you can gain over time through any kind of typing.

I'm the weird guy who can type in game text chat and keep up with a voice chat conversation and I'm always a little flabbergasted that it's such a rare skill, hell a lot of people can't even manage to read text chat in games.

e: jkl; seems inefficient given how rarely you hit keys east of P but what do I know, I finger peck

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 18, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's jkl;
your keyboard even comes with a dang bump on the f and j keys so you can find the right hand position without having to look at it

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Anyone who doesn't type asdf jkl; is a cop and probably a communist.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's WASD being the default instead of ESDF that's annoying when you can touch type and are used to placing your fingers on the home row.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

Anyone who doesn't type asdf jkl; is a cop and probably a communist.

that's Detective Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau to you

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

hell a lot of people can't even manage to read text chat in games.
I would never stream a text-heavy game because everyone would leave in frustration with how fast I read dialog/text. i type at about 95 WPM and i guess i read around 450 WPM according to some screen reading test. idk if the two have a correlation between them or not

e: my reading WPM in games probably goes up because so much of dialog in games and especially JRPGs is very tropey, that i can hit to skip as soon as a dialog rolls out because the first half of a sentence usually predicts the second half

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

pentyne posted:

that's Detective Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau to you

That man would probably shut his eyes, pass a combination Interfacing-Savoir Faire Check, sweep his hand across the keyboard, and somehow type an entire 20 character password perfectly on the first try.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Games with textboxes and non-customizable text scroll speed are the worst.
The default speed is always at like 1/3 of my reading speed so I always have to press the skip button once per textbox to get it to actually finish filling out the box but sometimes you get the rhythm of mashing next wrong and accidentally press it twice and skip the textbox entirely and it's just a huge pain in the butt.
Just give me an option to make the text speed instant

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Text scroll is the worst. Unless it's for a very specific reason, like simulating an old computer taking half a second to draw out a screen full of text, text should be instant.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's understandable if the text is also voiceacted and it scrolls at the same spead the VA reads it.
But 80% of the time I'm still reading ahead faster than the actor speaks and then just skipping to the next line halfway through a sentence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The VA's should simply speak faster

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gaius Marius posted:

Suikoden Tierkreis

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gaius Marius posted:

Some insight into this: I agree (even though you're probably joking).

A lot of overseas devs I've worked with are (overly) concerned with non-primary English speaking customers/players having a hard time following along and have requested that everything be read much slower than sounds natural. I have a feeling that my experience is not unique.

Dependent upon the game obviously but I feel a good mix for a text-heavy game is for full voiceover/subtitles during cutscenes or important moments and then a large variety of context-appropriate "Hrm?" or "Yes?" short vocal acknowledgements on initial in-game conversation activation with the full un-voiced text of the actual conversation displayed for the player to read/skip.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

ah, the far cry 2 solution

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ragequit posted:

drat you weren't kidding. howlongtobeat.com shows ~60 hours to complete, with 130+ hours for completionists.

Yeah I probably put 25 hours in it or so and just got to the point where I could even start the first DLC. Long rear end game. Too much good poo poo came out recently so I dropped it, but I'll probably play it again at some point, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

huh, Gunfire Reborn just came out of early access

thought it'd slip into 2022 honestly

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Yeah!

Don't stress about your times just go for accuracy and good hand positioning habits (if you're anything like me as an adult learner you've probably acquired some bad habits that'll be hard to totally shake). Do it in small chunks every day. You need to go slow to get fast.

When you feel like you've got in to a good place, you can start to aim for 5 star scores and even platinum-ranking the exercises.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's a way to adapt the exercises to my lovely azerty keyboard. For example, neither a nor ; are on my home row. It's a shame, since Typing Club seems really well done compared to the other sites I've googled.

zachol posted:

I had typing lessons and vaguely remember something about some really bizarre instructions for which fingers to hit which keys. I don't remember the details anymore, but staring at my keyboard now I'm thinking something along the lines of hitting "b" with your right hand finger (instead of the left), or hitting "r" with your middle finger instead of your index finger.
Also I can never remember any of the symbol keys on the number row.

The ones that trip me up are y and b, since they're about equidistant from both index fingers in the resting position. I'm also constantly getting keys that are next to each other mixed up, over and over. I don't know why my brain does this. I figure it's all just muscle memory, have to keep at it.

deep dish peat moss posted:

The 'proper' way to type is fingers on asdf hjkl which puts B under your right index finger, yeah. I'm one of the people who taught themself to type as a kid and I have a bizarre fingerpecking style where I essentially only use 1-2 fingers on each hand and I wave my hands over the keyboard like I think I'm a DJ, but I type well over 100wpm anyway. Touch typing is unnecessary to be a good typist, imo just memorization of the keyboard and then trusting yourself to not look at it/think about it is all you need - which you can gain over time through any kind of typing.

I'm the weird guy who can type in game text chat and keep up with a voice chat conversation and I'm always a little flabbergasted that it's such a rare skill, hell a lot of people can't even manage to read text chat in games.

Sure. I was a fast typer too, and right now I'm slower than your average eighty-year-old. The weird thing is, I don't think I could go back even if I wanted. It just feels wrong to hunt and peck now, even if it's still much faster. I'm going to unlock my true potential or die trying

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 18, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's a way to adapt the exercises to my lovely azerty keyboard. For example, neither a nor ; are on my home row. It's a shame, since Typing Club seems really well done compared to the other sites I've googled.

They have an AZERTY course but it's in French
https://www.edclub.com/sportal/program-17.game

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That link does not appear to be working.

Even though it pains me Flemishly, I suppose I could practice my French at the same time. Really working on that self-improvement™

e: I think it's this one:

https://www.typingclub.com/sportal/program-17.game

let's learn to taper comme un pro

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 18, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hey, remember Supreme Commander?

The Spring engine has been doing a lot of stuff but never quite to my liking.

And well. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLQmsTmYFA

Apparently it's coming to Steam in '22

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

typing chat made me remember goon-made Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing, gonna play that for a bit

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gaius Marius posted:

The real underlying solution is that writers should learn to be concise. It's a loving abomination how bad the writing is in virtually every RPG.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The real underlying solution is that writers should learn to be concise. It's a loving abomination how bad the writing is in virtually every RPG.

Getting flashbacks to the first Divinity: Original Sin

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You don't play a game about Sourcerers for its writing, you play it for its awesome elemental interactions and generally fun combat :colbert:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
What’s the name of that newer throwback 2.5 (might actually be 3d though) FPS that isn’t Dusk? I forgot to wishlist it the last time it came up. Maybe started with a P or an M maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

What’s the name of that newer throwback 2.5 (might actually be 3d though) FPS that isn’t Dusk? I forgot to wishlist it the last time it came up. Maybe started with a P or an M maybe?

Prodeus or Project Warlock

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Hwurmp posted:

Prodeus or Project Warlock

Prodeus! Yes, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There's also Ion Fury, which is literally running the same 2.5D engine as Duke Nukem 3D, and HROT, which really captures the Quake 1 software renderer aesthetic.