Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://youtu.be/O-8Dj9yyc6g

This guy fyckin rules and I think this story is somewhat pertinent to the "China turning a blind eye to naughty business" discussion. China's a big rear end place, imo. poo poo happens. The mountains are tall and the emperor's far away and all that.

Lmao @ that businessman :batuka:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Atopian posted:

Oh wow tell me more about how China doesn't turn a blind eye to people working around rules.
Are you... familiar with how China works? In any sense?

Additionally, regarding 'Western hysteria' about the education reform, there mostly wasn't any. A couple of days and a few articles on "guess those big companies are dead won't someone think of the shareholders", then nothing aside from an occasional human interest piece, because most people outside China don't give a poo poo about the Chinese education system. The stuff people are talking about ITT is often direct experience with large numbers of people whose lives just got flipped upside down.
Now, I do suspect that things will be better in the end for having done it, but there was no reason - aside from callousness - for the government not to provide more guidance and support.

because they're mostly anglo foreigners, who gives a gently caress about them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SheenaGreitens/status/1461149205335003138

i get the distinct impression the conclusion of this event will be a strong late contender for the stupidest thing to happen in china all year

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

imagine making a terrible livejournal post and trying to wait it out by not leaving your room only for people who literally cant read it concluding from secondhand descriptions that youre actually a noble political hero who is being oppressed by nefarious forces

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrMarkPBarry/status/1461009192064626700

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Sounds like it's time for some....

Trickle-Down Economics

(piss)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sounds like they could use some more piss

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Catastrophic piss shortage
Korean Piss Crisis
Pee pee drought

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Squid Game but the piggy bank just fills up with more piss after each game

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grapplejack posted:

because they're mostly anglo foreigners, who gives a gently caress about them

No, they're not.

For every overpaid foreigner failing to show up sober and on time two days out of three, there are ~3 Chinese teachers / support staff keeping things going.
And while the foreigners can just go elsewhere and do something different, those Chinese teachers often can't.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

1 in 4 is even probably way off.

Most training centers don't even have any foreign teachers. It's not just English centers that are affected by this. And even then, not every English training center has any foreign staff.

BrainDance has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Nov 18, 2021

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

BrainDance posted:

1 in 4 is is even probably way off.

Most training centers don't even have any foreign teachers. It's not just English centers that are affected by this. And even then, not every English training center has any foreign staff.

drat, yeah, wasn't thinking properly.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
yeah it sounds like there is a shortage of good english teachers, sometimes english teachers at all, in the regular school system

almost like its why they did this or something

it sounds like it would be nice if there was a more specific plan that didn't leave teachers twisting in the wind sure but also any time i say something like this i find out that they did not, in fact do that, and whatever i was reading was western hysteria or it was like 5 minutes before things were taken care of.

so yeah i'll be holding back tears until i see how this plays out. they live in a country where they won't end up out on the streets because their industry got shaken up. i don't.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
so they're gonna bail out the real estate / real estate loan companies, huh? had hoped they'd let the fuckers drown

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

hot witch divorcee posted:

it sounds like it would be nice if there was a more specific plan that didn't leave teachers twisting in the wind sure but also any time i say something like this i find out that they did not, in fact do that, and whatever i was reading was western hysteria or it was like 5 minutes before things were taken care of.

so yeah i'll be holding back tears until i see how this plays out. they live in a country where they won't end up out on the streets because their industry got shaken up. i don't.

It would be great if you could stop calling the stuff I am personally seeing, in China, and hearing from Chinese people who talk to me, in China, as 'Western hysteria'.

I am in a city that is widely considered to be a testbed for educational policy, in a province that is considered to be a leader in education, and I have the local government public communications passed to me because it is a topic I am interested in.

Do I know everything about it? Lolno, definitely not. I don't read everything, I only go off public (if sometimes obscure) announcements, and China is hugely different in different areas. But the stuff I'm seeing and talking about isn't random news digests, it is literally the workers and managers and owners of different types of schools in a city in China, and the government communications to them.

I am hugely in favour of planned government and planned economy, and my problem with the current situation was that either this wasn't fully planned, or the plan was "gently caress 'em", at least for the past few months.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Atopian posted:

I am hugely in favour of planned government and planned economy, and my problem with the current situation was that either this wasn't fully planned, or the plan was "gently caress 'em", at least for the past few months.

you cross the river by feeling the stones

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eh I prefer caulking the wagon and floating

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

Eh I prefer caulking the wagon and floating

FORD IT

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, as another teacher in china, those cram schools are a loving plague and I'm glad theyre being shut down. for all I know my industry (international schools) could be shut down soon too. good. it's a loving scam, the amount these parents pay and how hard the kids are worked. I will agree that there are ways around it (like rich people hiring private tutors) that should be banned as well, but that's a lot more difficult than shutting down the big companies.

If china was really really serious about reforming it's education, they'd reform the gaokao (college exam). that's what I'd like to see. I'd be really shocked if that happens though. it's such a pillar of chinese society. it'd be like 10x as big as shutting down the tutoring centers.

but I'm really in favor of Xi and what he's doing. even if it loses me my job, the needs of the people come over my needs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
bring back the eight legged essay

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SheenaGreitens/status/1461149205335003138

i get the distinct impression the conclusion of this event will be a strong late contender for the stupidest thing to happen in china all year

Do they want her to show up in camera saying that she's hungry for old chairman dick and wants his wife to commit ritual suicide or something?

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

It's incredible that they think they're helping lol

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Update:

Living conditions were atrocious, medical help was not provided, food was incredibly insufficient. The whole thing is shady as gently caress, the agency that sent them demanded a shitload of money in advance to give them work here, nothing that was agreed is being followed up on by said agency, the pay is late, and so on, on top of the passports being witheld. Workers were demanded to sign documents which were entirely in Chinese, and nobody who could translate was provided, which they couldn't understand and refused to sign, not having been given a single reason to trust the guys who gave them the documents. Both the Serbian security and the Chinese management are being extremely uncooperative.

Vietnam doesn't have an embassy in Serbia which makes things more difficult for the workers. One was successfully moved out of there, and there's talk about 10 more being able to leave, but that's woefully insufficient, with no sign of pay and passports for the ones who'd stay behind, it's ugly.

I guess we'll see how the PR decides to cover their asses in this mess. A lot of aid has been gathered for the Vietnamese workers (as in food, medicine, better clothing), but there are sharp limits to what can be done about returning them home. Those who care can't afford to help, and those who can afford to help don't care, or only care about milking this disaster for its full worth.

And god loving damnit, the media storm is brewing iterative fanfiction about this, with the actual awful events burried in an avalanche of made up bullshit. Like, tripping on each other competing who can add more RED SATAN decoration to the news. This is why I'm always skeptical towards this. As minor example, there's 60 people striking and demanding to go home, but you'll have the numbers like 500+ being broadcasted everywhere.

my dad has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Nov 18, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Do they want her to show up in camera saying that she's hungry for old chairman dick and wants his wife to commit ritual suicide or something?

I guess she has to facetime/zoom the WTA chair and convince him. Or do the Jack Ma thing and take a vacation in Europe.

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1461299843566120966?s=20

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

???

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Laying high speed rail at a blistering speed of 100 dead Tories per mile

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The British tories prefer to have people die from Covid to reopen pubs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Theirs is less. Tories only willing to lay track over the bodies of the working class.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Nov 18, 2021

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the inscrutable oriental values life too much and thus can never understand western values

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Guyovich posted:

you'll have to be more specific

He was infamous for telling graphic stories. He got banned. It was like the entire thread rallied about his gross stories. Fojar!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Peter Daou Zen posted:

didn't we have...somebody in the China threads that was a huge sexpat weirdo who GBS was in love with then kept revealing how actually hosed up he truly was??

lol was that the lactose intolerant guy that drank a carton of half and half every morning. but blamed his pants making GBS threads on gutter oil or whatever

i think there was a side story with some ethnic minority lady that he was loving or something. gbs thread is some mirror universe poo poo or something.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Say what you will about the dnd thread, the gbs one is absolutely dire

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hated that loving guy. made me sick. sharing stories of his "conquests" and bad mouthing them. man if, the people you get with are bad that's a reflection of you rather than them. that threads so racist I'm surprised it was allowed to continue existing. his stories werent even amusing, just orientalist bs. glad to hear he's banned

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

He also insisted well into this year that China was obviously covering up hundreds of thousands if not millions of COVID deaths lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh my god it's true Thomas the tank engine is real and they have to murder children to construct new trains and track

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fits my needs posted:

lol was that the lactose intolerant guy that drank a carton of half and half every morning. but blamed his pants making GBS threads on gutter oil or whatever

i think there was a side story with some ethnic minority lady that he was loving or something. gbs thread is some mirror universe poo poo or something.

I have an excellent memory, its all coming back now. Yeah remember his stories of describing a woman's . . .as peanut brittle. .

the minority woman was Mongolian. God im being flooded with horrible memories like The Giver now.

he really was there just to have sex with as many Chinese women as possible. . .

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/asiatimesonline/status/1461286177202393093

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ii1111/status/1461324226397454347