Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Charliegrs posted:

You should probably still get the booster

I'm still not eligible for at least another three months, even assuming they bring the age limit down to mine before that point.

The industry is varying levels of uptight about testing depending on the venue, but I'll be trying to get one anyway as my 90 days pass will have run out by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can't believe I ran into a "the flu kills more people" aregument while walking my dogs in late 2021.
This is why I keep tons of memes on my phone

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the old CDC forecast model from mid July, right before the US got hosed by that massive delta surge:

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1415781827969753098

Today's forecast:
https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1461092680017096710

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

It could turn out to be a nothingburger this time, fingers crossed

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Man i love piecing together 4 charts with multiple x and y vectors and trying to make sense of it. Much better than someone writing a few sentences.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Wendigee posted:

Man i love piecing together 4 charts with multiple x and y vectors and trying to make sense of it. Much better than someone writing a few sentences.

Ignore the first graph in "today's forecast" since that's projected deaths rather than projected cases (I mean, uh, don't ignore it, just be aware that it isn't relevant to the rest of the comparison). Minus that, these graphs project a pretty grim winter.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
One of my soon to be out the door and knows it coworkers is vaccinated, but has been dropping some worrying hints at having gravel for brains.

We're taking hits like:
"vaccines aren't necessary"
"I get microdoses of covid at work anyway"
"Myocarditis in boys and men so my sons won't get the shot until they're older"

On the daily.

Can't wait until they're gone but I have this reflexive fear that they'll hire someone worse if they don't just shuffle the work duties off on me.

Same person was saying vaccine mandates don't work and was pissed at me when I pointed out that they did or they wouldn't have gotten their jabs.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wendigee posted:

Here's a few sentences:

Covid is over. Open Biden. Hot Cheeto Wings available now at Applebees.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wings? :blastu:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Austria's "lockdown" actually looks super weak, they're only placing restrictions on unvaccinated people but they're allowing a ton of exceptions and it doesn't look like they'll really be policing the restrictions anyway. It's just another aspect of their Schnitzelpanik plan to increase the vaxx rate by mildly inconveniencing the unvaccinated ("You won't be allowed into restaurants to eat schnitzel without a vaccine passport!") until they give in and get jabbed.

But on the previous page of the thread, a poster from Austria posted, unless I misunderstood their country of residence:

busalover posted:

One hour ago, police came to check on my parents. Mother opened the door, had to identify by name. They wanted to see my dad as well, mom told them he's asleep. Had to go wake him, had to tell them his name as well. They both have covid (double vaxxed), and the austrian government wants to hand out fines if you're not at home. Tomorrow the lockdown for the non-vaxxed people starts.

I was thinking about this the other day, jokingly speculating if they're going to send police to everybody's home. Well apparently they do? lol

How about it, busalover, are they actually enforcing this lockdown for the non-vaccinated? Or just the quarantine for those who tested positive? News reports about it are thin here in Sweden.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I miss the IHME models that always showed covid dive bombing to elimination after every peak lmao

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

This is why I keep tons of memes on my phone

It's loving wild to me that there was a month (I think maybe December 2020?) when there were a 9/11 amount of people that died each and every day.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Does anyone have a source on the COVID antibody response to a single dose of vaccine?

Up here in Canada it's looking like we're going to be spacing our 5-11 year old doses out by 8 weeks starting before the end of November, which means 1 dose a few weeks before Christmas break and one dose in January/early Feb. What I'm wondering is if my kiddos get dosed 2-3 weeks before Christmas, how much of a response can we expect them to mount by the time they're off school? Anyone who has a source on this (in adults even) would be my best poster friend.

e: I found this source but I can't understand it because I'm not a science literate guy.

Antibody Responses after a Single Dose of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA Vaccine
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2102051

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

But on the previous page of the thread, a poster from Austria posted, unless I misunderstood their country of residence:

How about it, busalover, are they actually enforcing this lockdown for the non-vaccinated? Or just the quarantine for those who tested positive? News reports about it are thin here in Sweden.

Looks like they're starting to realise that telling the unvaccinated to lockdown in some circumstances (with lots of exceptions) wasn't a great plan

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1461364403173924877

They're in a bit of a pickle over there, as are a lot of European countries

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...try=USA~GBR~AUT

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Fallom posted:

I miss the IHME models that always showed covid dive bombing to elimination after every peak lmao

A bunch of my friends work at IHME and I always want to ask them about this, like are they aware that their projections didn’t really get borne out by reality?

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I dreamed that my almost 2-year-old son got the jab last night. Vaccines for the littlest littles pleeeeaaaase

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Talorat posted:

A bunch of my friends work at IHME and I always want to ask them about this, like are they aware that their projections didn’t really get borne out by reality?

My sister just started working at IHME a month or so ago, I haven't talked to her since but I'm interested in hearing what's it like over there.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The gently caress happened in Austria?

Also, goddammit, why are cases rising again in USA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Number_6 posted:

The gently caress happened in Austria?

It's happening across many European nations:

One of the reasons I like the Our World In Data site is that you can load up all those countries and look at their comparative case rates, then you can switch over to their comparative death rates, then you can switch over to their comparative vaxx rates for a fuller picture of what's going on.
(Vaxx rates don't tell the full story but I feel they're usually at least somewhat indicative of the NPIs those countries also enact, but of course YMMV)

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...NLD~IRL~DNK~HUN

The US vaxx rate is roughly on par with Czech Republic, Slovenia and Hungary which is really not where any country in the northern hemisphere wants to be right now

Number_6 posted:

Also, goddammit, why are cases rising again in USA

Colder weather changes people's behaviour and pushes them indoors where they're all closer together, which is one factor. The US' vaxx rate is also lower than most of those European countries who are currently surging in cases, which is another factor.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Looks like they're starting to realise that telling the unvaccinated to lockdown in some circumstances (with lots of exceptions) wasn't a great plan

They're in a bit of a pickle over there, as are a lot of European countries

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...try=USA~GBR~AUT

Is that some new variant or something? I knew their vaccination rates weren't amazing but I didn't expect it to go vertical like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that some new variant or something? I knew their vaccination rates weren't amazing but I didn't expect it to go vertical like that.

As far as I can see they're pretty much 100% delta although I can't find any info on which sub-variants of delta they might have

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Delta plus waning vaccines probably. The effect odf those two (in whatever proportion, we don't know for sure) is more than significant. Without everyone boosted it's like having a much lower percentage of the population vaxxed than a few months ago.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The people living in the Alpine and Saxony region are very.. special in their ways. Especially about educated Prussians telling 'em what to do.
Doesn't help that they're bordered (or in Austrias case almost surrounded) by former commie states in meltdown.

You can make up your own story on why the map looks like that, if you prefer:

But yeah the Austria numbers are pants-shittingly bad. Incidences in the several 1000's, when what you see on the Danish border now (50-100) was considered the trigger for harsh lockdowns in Germany earlier this year.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 19, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The CDC just announced that vaxxed people are 1/3 as likely to get infected as unvaxxed people, 1/2 as likely for that infection to be severe and 1/7 as likely to die from infection

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1461420449733218317

Those are bald unadjusted population rates, even CSPAM as going "WTF that was a really irresponsible thing to tweet" LOL

E: for comparison, here's the last 30 days of data from King County WA. The adjusted rates are listed along the top and the pie graphs down the bottom are the unadjusted flat rates

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not that bad as published in the MMWR, the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, because only medical professionals typically read that.

The expectation is that will read it and understand that people who don’t first get infected with the virus cannot go on to be hospitalized or die of the disease.

As for the figures being unadjusted for age and other risk factors, professionals may want because the vaccine fairy didn’t visit everyone in their area at random, either. You may be concerned about the risk to you, personally, but the professionals want to know who’s going to end up in their hospital. A significant fraction will be vaccinated elderly people with breakthrough infections.

What’s pure idiocy is pushing the graphic to Twitter like that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 19, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sauer kraut posted:

The people living in the Alpine and Saxony region are very.. special in their ways. Especially about educated Prussians telling 'em what to do.
Doesn't help that they're bordered (or in Austrias case almost surrounded) by former commie states in meltdown.

You can make up your own story on why the map looks like that, if you prefer:

But yeah the Austria numbers are pants-shittingly bad. Incidences in the several 1000's, when what you see on the Danish border now (50-100) was considered the trigger for harsh lockdowns in Germany earlier this year.

Yeah trying tum sum up the pandemic situation in nations like they're monolithic entities is lazy but it gives a handy snapshot for anyone who hasn't been paying attention to the situation. I remember early on it was noted that some country in the region (Switzerland, maybe???) had a very very clear demarcation of high & low regional case rates that also happened to to perfectly line up with whether they spoke German or French in that part of the country

On the other hand, poo poo's still popping off so it's probably way too early to write up the "story" yet
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1461419584846712840

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Scarodactyl posted:

Delta plus waning vaccines probably. The effect odf those two (in whatever proportion, we don't know for sure) is more than significant. Without everyone boosted it's like having a much lower percentage of the population vaxxed than a few months ago.

Most of Europe will not have waning immunity yet except for the very elderly. Second shots for 18+ adults didn't start to roll out until September in many places in Europe. Like, I'm ~40 and I got my first in June and second in August.
In the US, I can imagine waning immunity is a more significant factor.

Another Bill posted:

Does anyone have a source on the COVID antibody response to a single dose of vaccine?

Up here in Canada it's looking like we're going to be spacing our 5-11 year old doses out by 8 weeks starting before the end of November, which means 1 dose a few weeks before Christmas break and one dose in January/early Feb. What I'm wondering is if my kiddos get dosed 2-3 weeks before Christmas, how much of a response can we expect them to mount by the time they're off school? Anyone who has a source on this (in adults even) would be my best poster friend.

Assuming an MRNA or AZ vaccine, what I was told by my vaccinator was that after 2 weeks, there is evidence of some pretty decent immunity buildup. However, you don't get up to 90+% until two weeks after the second dose.
Someone ITT posted a really good chart of immunity rates by day, which basically matched that statement, but that was last spring so I have no idea where to find it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The CDC just announced that vaxxed people are 1/3 as likely to get infected as unvaxxed people, 1/2 as likely for that infection to be severe and 1/7 as likely to die from infection

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1461420449733218317

Those are bald unadjusted population rates, even CSPAM as going "WTF that was a really irresponsible thing to tweet" LOL

E: for comparison, here's the last 30 days of data from King County WA. The adjusted rates are listed along the top and the pie graphs down the bottom are the unadjusted flat rates

Really not sure how these numbers are calculated

From the King County dashboard:
Fully Vaccinated people:
44 deaths in last 30 days, out of population size of 1,642,181

Unvaccinated people:
61 deaths in last 30 days, out of population size of 617,819

(61 / 619776) / (44 / 1642181) = 3.7?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

The unvaccinated population has way fewer old people. They’re corrected for this, not just the size of the population at risk.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Another Bill posted:

This is Pfizer's main plot from their EUA submission. It's not antibodies, its total effectiveness (vs strains & conditions at the time)

Horizontal is time. Vertical is what fraction of the placebo & vaccine groups had gotten COVID by that point.
The groups start splitting at about 2 weeks, so there is some amount of immunity developing then. The vaccine group here got a 2nd dose at week 3. It's unknown what that line would have done if that hadn't happened.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Most of Europe will not have waning immunity yet except for the very elderly. Second shots for 18+ adults didn't start to roll out until September in many places in Europe. Like, I'm ~40 and I got my first in June and second in August.
In the US, I can imagine waning immunity is a more significant factor.

Assuming an MRNA or AZ vaccine, what I was told by my vaccinator was that after 2 weeks, there is evidence of some pretty decent immunity buildup. However, you don't get up to 90+% until two weeks after the second dose.
Someone ITT posted a really good chart of immunity rates by day, which basically matched that statement, but that was last spring so I have no idea where to find it.

Yeah, the UK's wide dosing interval was predicated purely on the 60ish percent immunity given by both AZ and Pfizer two weeks after the first dose - that if you can do a million jabs a week for 12 weeks, you save more lives by getting 12 million people to 60% than getting 6 million to 90% [1] - that it turns out this interval gives considerably better efficacy for AZ and slightly better for Pfizer was just pure luck.

[1] I know the split doesn't work quite like that because they don't give both jabs simultaneously but it's too early in the morning for maths.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Update:

quote:

Austrian Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg announced a full lockdown in Austria at a press conference Friday.

In addition, vaccinations will be mandatory from February next year.

In order to curb the latest rise in infections, Austria's nine federal states agreed to impose nationwide restrictions starting Monday. They are meeting with Schallenberg and Health Minister Wolfgang Mückstein in Tyrol in the western part of the country.

The Kronen Zeitung newspaper reported before the press conference the restrictions are to apply for 10 days. Reuters reports the lockdown could go as long as 20 days if need be.
https://www.dw.com/en/covid-austria-announces-lockdown-and-vaccine-mandate/a-59873499

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm proud of my little province, Prince Edward Island. This week we hit 91% of eligible people to be fully vaxxed, and our province has the plans ready to go once the 5-11 age group is approved. Permission forms have already gone out for clinics at the schools. Daily counts are usually single digits and community spread is rare and stamped down with extreme prejudice.

I'm in one of the safest places in North America but I still won't go to a bar or sporting events even though both are operating at the 'new normal' reduced capacities. I have no idea how the gently caress you people are able to keep functioning out there where you're surrounded by it.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm proud of my little province, Prince Edward Island. This week we hit 91% of eligible people to be fully vaxxed, and our province has the plans ready to go once the 5-11 age group is approved. Permission forms have already gone out for clinics at the schools. Daily counts are usually single digits and community spread is rare and stamped down with extreme prejudice.

I'm in one of the safest places in North America but I still won't go to a bar or sporting events even though both are operating at the 'new normal' reduced capacities. I have no idea how the gently caress you people are able to keep functioning out there where you're surrounded by it.

Simple, my attitude is just :rubby: since I can't do a drat thing about it.

:shepicide:

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

i played by myself A LOT as a kid so im probably better adapted for being a hermit than others but wow these last couple years have been stressful

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

chainchompz posted:

Can't wait until they're gone but I have this reflexive fear that they'll hire someone worse if they don't just shuffle the work duties off on me.

Oof but at the same time, I often prefer it when they dump stuff on me rather than bringing in someone else who might be terrible. There have been so many times I would've preferred to hoof it alone during my lovely early jobs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

curlys gold posted:

i played by myself A LOT as a kid

We get it, you wank

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
FDA has made Phizer/Moderna boosters officially open to all adults in the USA.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-receive-expanded-us-fda-emergency-use
https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-announces-fda-authorization-booster-dose-covid-19

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Anyone here watch the Morning Show? I finished the season 2 finale last night and drat talk about pandemic PTSD. I feel like it captures the beginning pretty well, all the confusion over how you get it and nobody really taking it seriously yet…

Can’t believe I used to just waltzed into work sans mask. Remember when the cdc said vaccinated people could be maskless around each other and we thought we’d won? :(

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

From the King County dashboard:
Fully Vaccinated people:
44 deaths in last 30 days, out of population size of 1,642,181

Unvaccinated people:
61 deaths in last 30 days, out of population size of 617,819

(61 / 619776) / (44 / 1642181) = 3.7?

Does your 2nd figure not include a lot of partially vaccinated people and young people who can't get vaccinated? Giving them a boost of numbers of people unlikely to die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

liz posted:

Can’t believe I used to just waltzed into work sans mask. Remember when the cdc said vaccinated people could be maskless around each other and we thought we’d won? :(

Lol, just come to the UK if you want to pretend the pandemic doesn't exist. I got a train to my parents today as it's the first time I've seen them in person and/or left my county since last year, and the train was packed shoulder to shoulder with barely 5% mask usage, and at least one of the unmasked hordes had a chesty cough that, if not covid, was definitely something transmittable.