Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ulf posted:

STOP DOING JIHAD
  • OFFWORLDERS WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE GIVEN SIETCH NAMES
  • YEARS OF WEIRDING yet NO REAL-WORLD USE FOUND for prana bindu
  • Wanted to stop a harvester anyway for a laugh? We had a tool for that: It was called a "THUMPER"
  • "Yes let's follow qizarat to another world where we will see endless water that none can drink" - Statements dreamed up by a sun-crazed madman
LOOK at what Fedaykin have been struggling for all this time
(these are REAL visions from REAL mahdi)

"HE IS THE KWISATZ HADERACH"

"I WILL KILL HIM"

"SOO-SOO-SOOK!"

They have played us for absolute fools

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, the ring is how the charter for Arrakis was signed at the ceremony.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The ducal signet can be thought of as a coat of arms. Nowadays I think most people think a coat of arms is merely decorative, but in their heyday they were a type of authenticated signature. DocuSign for the middle ages, as it were.

Does any other book series come close to having the quality of world building as Dune? My friend promised to read Dune if I'd read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I feel like I got the microscopic end of a guild heighliner-long stick.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How it manages to compact sand, on the other hand, is a very good question - because silica compacts really poorly.
Arrakis is so dry that static electricity is like a classical element, alongside Air, Fire, and Sand.

So I'd always imagined it was that.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

- The Harkonnen vehicles shown in the intro are their harvesters; in contrast to the one the Atreides are shown using later, the Harkonnen harvesters look like enormous swollen ticks.
The art book actually goes into this, basically they wanted the harkonnen harvesters to feel like fists boring through the deserts and settled onto the tick esque design with the same feel.

Similar vibes to their huge bloated gunship and their chunkier thopters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Think Piter computed the possibility that Paul lived but obviously wasn’t like big up front with that data

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The sand compactor mechanism isn't that important, but it does give a nice explanation for how the Fremen are able to bury themselves at will. And it ties in to the "liquid sand" thing the worms have going on. I thought it was a really nice touch, for something wholly invented for this film. e: actually it is mentioned, Paul uses it to tunnel out of the buried stilltent, it's specifically called a "static compaction tool."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

The ducal signet can be thought of as a coat of arms. Nowadays I think most people think a coat of arms is merely decorative, but in their heyday they were a type of authenticated signature. DocuSign for the middle ages, as it were.

Does any other book series come close to having the quality of world building as Dune? My friend promised to read Dune if I'd read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I feel like I got the microscopic end of a guild heighliner-long stick.

People poo poo on ASOIAF but it is good in that sense

Also lord of the rings of course

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always interpreted the ducal ring to be ancient archeo tech that mysteriously interacted with technological documents to certify signatures

It was probably just a simple ring pressed into wax

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

skasion posted:

Herbert doesn’t lean on this too hard but a signet ring is absolutely a legal artifact. It’s what authenticates a document as being from the Atreides Duke.

In a moral sense. It's a ring, you can duplicate it with a piece of wax and a knife. It's not some 1024-bit PGP key, it's a piece of carved metal. It's a symbol of ducal authority, it's not an authenticator.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not to get too deep but humans are inherently respectful of official symbols. It’s not that a simple signet ring is easy to duplicate. It is. It’s that it is hard for humans to do it because we believe in the power of symbols

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

euphronius posted:

Not to get too deep but humans are inherently respectful of official symbols. It’s not that a simple signet ring is easy to duplicate. It is. It’s that it is hard for humans to do it because we believe in the power of symbols

I would download a car.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Prolonged Panorama posted:

The sand compactor mechanism isn't that important, but it does give a nice explanation for how the Fremen are able to bury themselves at will. And it ties in to the "liquid sand" thing the worms have going on. I thought it was a really nice touch, for something wholly invented for this film. e: actually it is mentioned, Paul uses it to tunnel out of the buried stilltent, it's specifically called a "static compaction tool."

there's a whole scene where he has to macgyver his way into a sanddune to rescue their pack.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bin Gyver. Please

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

I made a drunken agreement that if my friend read Dune I'd read Red Rising. He's done and seen the movie twice and I haven't started.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

euphronius posted:

Bin Gyver. Please

Lisan-Mac-Gyver

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ulf posted:

STOP DOING JIHAD
  • OFFWORLDERS WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE GIVEN SIETCH NAMES
  • YEARS OF WEIRDING yet NO REAL-WORLD USE FOUND for prana bindu
  • Wanted to stop a harvester anyway for a laugh? We had a tool for that: It was called a "THUMPER"
  • "Yes let's follow qizarat to another world where we will see endless water that none can drink" - Statements dreamed up by a sun-crazed madman
LOOK at what Fedaykin have been struggling for all this time
(these are REAL visions from REAL mahdi)

"HE IS THE KWISATZ HADERACH"

"I WILL KILL HIM"

"SOO-SOO-SOOK!"

They have played us for absolute fools

Something Usul Forums > General Wormshit > Sandwarrior rides, fremen tractors, interstellar screeds: ARRAKIS BUTTHOLE NATION

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tongue of the guyvers??

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Very carefully
loving ha!
I genuinely love responding with that answer for various things, but I completely failed to see how it was the obvious answer to my own post. :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Phanatic posted:

In a moral sense. It's a ring, you can duplicate it with a piece of wax and a knife. It's not some 1024-bit PGP key, it's a piece of carved metal. It's a symbol of ducal authority, it's not an authenticator.

It wouldn't serve as incontrovertible proof of identity all by itself, but in a society as insular and stratified as Dune I could see it carrying a lot of weight. It's not like some rando can go online to download the design, or even have access to official documents that are sealed with it, so anyone with the access and ability to fake it... probably wouldn't, because that's Just Not Done by civilized people. At the very least it wouldn't be something that could be easily dismissed.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

I made a drunken agreement that if my friend read Dune I'd read Red Rising. He's done and seen the movie twice and I haven't started.

Thought you meant the Tom Clancy book and I was like.... weird but ok.

edit: I read the character names on Wikipedia. You have my condolences.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A mentat or BG witch could tell if a seal was fake

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Phanatic posted:

Impossible. Imperial Signet Ring Conditioning is well known to be unbreakable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mossyfisk posted:

Impossible. Imperial Signet Ring Conditioning is well known to be unbreakable.

Nah, it suks

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
There's precedent for things like the ducal ring today - see chinese company chops (:lol: the ARM CEO in TYOOL 2020 was fired, refused to turn over the chop, and has been legally running the company since then). Regardless if its silly or not, there's a huge precedent in human culture to assign a lot of power to a physical item.

Without the ring, there is a very good chance that the Landsraad would've told Paul to gently caress off because they can't prove he is who he says he is.

Jewmanji posted:

Thought you meant the Tom Clancy book and I was like.... weird but ok.

edit: I read the character names on Wikipedia. You have my condolences.

Anything with color-based societies makes me think of Apprentice Adept :shudder:

edit: read the wiki synapsis... there's a harry potter house element for elites ruling a slave mining society on Mars? I'm circling back around to trashy-intrigued

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 18, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The guild out of anyone knows who Paul is , relic jewelry notwithstanding

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It fits with Dune's subversive look at heroes to set up the ring as something of a Macguffin, only to have it not matter in the slightest by the end of the book.

euphronius posted:

I always interpreted the ducal ring to be ancient archeo tech that mysteriously interacted with technological documents to certify signatures

It was probably just a simple ring pressed into wax

The first sentence was written by Brian and the second by Frank.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

stratdax posted:

Are the twins boning in the book?

leto II is never horny

(they were not boning tho. leto became a worm and never scored)

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
bene tleilaxu: goddamnit he's gotta be horny about something!!!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vampire Panties posted:

Without the ring, there is a very good chance that the Landsraad would've told Paul to gently caress off because they can't prove he is who he says he is.

Random dude shows up out of the desert *with* the ring, says “I’m Leto’s heir!”, he still can’t prove he is who he says he is. Possession of the ring can’t do that.

What can do that is a horde of warriors who will shut down spice production and destroy the Guild and the Imperium. If he has that, his having the ring doesn’t matter. Being *Paul* doesn’t matter, everyone who depends on the spice is going to say “yep, that’s Paul, the only and rightful heir of Duke Leto!” and salute. Conversely, if he doesn’t have that army but does have the ring, he gets murdered as soon as he pokes his head out and dumped in a ditch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phanatic posted:

Random dude shows up out of the desert *with* the ring, says “I’m Leto’s heir!”, he still can’t prove he is who he says he is. Possession of the ring can’t do that.

What can do that is a horde of warriors who will shut down spice production and destroy the Guild and the Imperium. If he has that, his having the ring doesn’t matter. Being *Paul* doesn’t matter, everyone who depends on the spice is going to say “yep, that’s Paul, the only and rightful heir of Duke Leto!” and salute. Conversely, if he doesn’t have that army but does have the ring, he gets murdered as soon as he pokes his head out and dumped in a ditch.

iirc the dune encyclopedia has a long digression by a revisionist scholar who argues that "paul" was just a fremen leader who assumed the identity of an assassinated noble

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

StashAugustine posted:

iirc the dune encyclopedia has a long digression by a revisionist scholar who argues that "paul" was just a fremen leader who assumed the identity of an assassinated noble

IMO the ring is important because it brings a veneer of legitimacy to the Landsraad accepting a new Emperor. They had all gathered there to put down a religious rebellion - if the Fremen won, who knows what would have happened to the ruling elite. Much like history, the nobles will fight to the very bitter end before they let a wormherder tell them what to do. Once Paul shows up with the right costume for the party, they know he's one of their own and he wont' do anything radical like execute their families and socialize their wealth. Could the spacing guild have told the Landsraad to STFU and accept whomever, because they didnt want the spice to be destroyed? possibly, but I think thats the difference between a jihad and a universal civil war.

also - Jessica is the Baron Harkonnens daughter per the failson books If the BG plan went through correctly, would this mean the new KH would only have one set of grandparents?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Vampire Panties posted:

also - Jessica is the Baron Harkonnens daughter per the failson books If the BG plan went through correctly, would this mean the new KH would only have one set of grandparents?

That's not just a failson book thing, at least.
Maybe the shortening of the way refers to greatly simplified family trees, after the Hapsburg model.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jessica being the baron's daughter is in dune 1, aka dunes of dune. The mother being mohiam is encyclopedia/failson

efb

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

stratdax posted:

I watched the Children of Dune miniseries. it was quite good, production-wise. At least all the way to the last half hour where they realized they were out of time and rushed to get through the remainder of the book. The audience doesn't learn what Leto II's plan is, what he's doing or what the Golden Path is, so that's a problem. Maybe that's not a problem of the adaptations but of the novels, because from what I read in Dune and Dune Messiah, Herbert is never really clear about the bigger picture stuff or what people are actually working towards.

The big picture stuff is usually revealed when people are thinking to themselves and often when they're tripping their balls off, so it doesn't get adapted or might be easier for readers to ignore. The Golden Path directly calls back to the weird Jungian stuff made explicit in the early parts of Dune, where Paul senses that the jihad is inevitable because the Guild's monopoly on travel is threatening humanity with genetic stagnation (and so the collective unconsciousness is getting unreasonably horny or something, I remember the word estrus somewhere in that passage).

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Novel sexual archetypes (Fastest Leto)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Idaho: in a petersonian sense...

Moneo: What the gently caress are you talking about Duncan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Riot Bimbo posted:

Idaho: in a petersonian sense...

Moneo: What the gently caress are you talking about Duncan?
Duncan-69420 was trained as a Petersonian/Shapiran scholar, and was promptly crushed by the worm.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

That's not just a failson book thing, at least.
Maybe the shortening of the way refers to greatly simplified family trees, after the Hapsburg model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
My dream is a God Emperor HBO max or Netflix series. God Emperor wouldn't transfer to a movie well but would suit a series.

Are the Gholas just exact clones or sort of human hybrids? I remember in the books the first Ghola Ducan was different...