Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cats are parasites that exploit weaknesses in human cognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

i went and checked. the list goes dog, pig, horse, rat, otter, gerbil, cow, fish, crow, cat. then there's ducks, chickens, various other birds and eventually spiders and lizards.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best possible pet is a cat raised with dogs. It's a cat that's happy to see you, can go on walks, and sometimes even comes when called.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crespolini posted:

i went and checked. the list goes dog, pig, horse, rat, otter, gerbil, cow, fish, crow, cat. then there's ducks, chickens, various other birds and eventually spiders and lizards.

That's bullshit, a fish can't express affection. It's a fish.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

hey, whatever makes you feel better about sticking a hook in their mouth :shrug:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Crespolini posted:

there's been too many studies showing the opposite. cats are maybe ninth or tenth on the affection scale, somewhere after cows or crows.

how does one measure affection, pray tell

like, what's the SI unit for affection

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Cats are the best pet, sorry

Dogs are also good animals and make great pets for children and emotionally stunted manbabies/womanbabies

Fish are pointless unless you like the aquarium management aspect and see them more as high-maintenance decorations

Ferrets and rats both make great pets and are very entertaining to own, but the nature of the average ferret/rat owner has poisoned that well forever

Birds are awesome animals and their owners are shitheels for keeping them indoors

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you complain that you don't like Turkey because it's bland or dry, you are simply publicly stating that your parents couldn't cook and neither can you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sweevo posted:

Preach it!

Cats are the least interesting pet. They do nothing, have no personality, do not love you, and the only reason they even acknowledge your existence is because you feed them

people who aggressively dont like cats are psychopaths

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Crespolini posted:

there's been too many studies showing the opposite. cats are maybe ninth or tenth on the affection scale, somewhere after cows or crows.

What an absurd thing to say. Crows can't love, they only understand Respect and Fear.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

whenever someone gets all Biotruths about animals its as much a red flag as when they go all "females" about women

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crespolini posted:

As a former vet tech I suspect this isn't science, also stop hating cats you loving weirdo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
so i guess not being infatuated with the concept of cats is the same as hating them

yeah cat people are loving weird

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

People talking about their pets is fine. It's a major aspect of their existence and people tend to share their experiences with others. I forget that goons sometimes need to be reminded what actual social interaction is like

The worst, most pathetic thing a person can talk about is their internet experiences or things they saw on social media. That is an instant, not kidding, no hyperbole at all walk-off for me

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

so i guess not being infatuated with the concept of cats is the same as hating them

it's wild how aggro they get over me just posting what the science is. (i happen to like cats even, it's just i also like truth)

if i was hating i'd have said they came in behind crocodiles :discourse:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Nobody cares about your cats, no one wants to hear about whatever they did that day, nobody cares how clever they are or if they want pets or if they're being tsundere. Shut the gently caress up about your lovely child substitutes.

But theres an entire thread about it in Pet Island. So i think that you are objectively wrong here

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I will politely listen if someone wants to get into the cat characterization shtick but I will also gently steer the conversation away from that. In the PHUO thread however, I am not ashamed to admit that I would really prefer never to have those conversations. I honestly don't think most people are talking about their cats very often but those that do are extremely prolific and vocal

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Nov 17, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Crespolini posted:

citation needed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Crespolini posted:

it's wild how aggro they get over me just posting what the science is.

This was your science

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

:jerkbag:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Crespolini posted:

it's wild how aggro they get over me just posting what the science is. (i happen to like cats even, it's just i also like truth)

if i was hating i'd have said they came in behind crocodiles :discourse:

why do you hate cats so much though

did a cat hurt your feelings or something

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Gripweed posted:

This was your science

no one said *anything* about wasps (second from the bottom, btw)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dogs

Pros:
Good boys
Fetch stick
Protect your house

Cons:
Haram

Cats

Pros:
Soft
Warm
Cuddly
Divine animals
Will eat your face if you die decreasing food waste in an ecologically friendly manner

Cons:
Brain worms from poop

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It should be illegal to spread medical misinformation like “vaccines are harmful” and people who do it should be charged with a misdemeanor

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

It should be illegal to spread medical misinformation like “vaccines are harmful” and people who do it should be charged with a misdemeanor

Vaccines can cause negative reactions in a small number of people who get them

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The little recycling symbols that actually just tell you what kind of plastic the item is should be banned entirely. The only things that should be allowed to display anything suggesting recyclability are items that most waste districts can accept into their "recycling" programs.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've been in the hospital for a week and a half and I miss my cat. (That it could have been bacteria from a cat scratch that landed me here is beside the point).

PHUO: All you people who love and adore flesh eating bacteria are incorrect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crespolini posted:

There’s no such thing as a fish.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I've been in the hospital for a week and a half and I miss my cat. (That it could have been bacteria from a cat scratch that landed me here is beside the point).

PHUO: All you people who love and adore flesh eating bacteria are incorrect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrY9J58Qno

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Whether a pet loves you or not is irrelevant, all properly cared for pets are good and interesting to hear about. You can even feel a bond with a fish or a coral or a bug or whatever because it's something that depends on you to live. People always joke about cats eating you if you die so they're fine without you but in reality I think a "ate the owner" cat would be pretty hard to adopt out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You can even feel a bond with a fish or a coral or a bug or whatever because it's something that depends on you to live.

I'd even say the "depends on you to live" part is optional. It's entirely possible to have a bond with someone else's dog, or to make friends with a squirrel who lives in your yard.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Both cats and dogs will eat you eventually, but both also recognize their dead owner/parent/etc and prefer to not eat your dead body. They don't have a well-thought-out idea of mortality, but that do have an internal life of their own.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Powered Descent posted:

I'd even say the "depends on you to live" part is optional. It's entirely possible to have a bond with someone else's dog, or to make friends with a squirrel who lives in your yard.

well yeah I was just talking about pets you have. Liking other animals is good too.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Nov 18, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Whether a pet loves you or not is irrelevant, all properly cared for pets are good and interesting to hear about. You can even feel a bond with a fish or a coral or a bug or whatever because it's something that depends on you to live. People always joke about cats eating you if you die so they're fine without you but in reality I think a "ate the owner" cat would be pretty hard to adopt out.

I think the shelters probably don’t advertise the last part of that

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Platystemon posted:

There’s no such thing as a fish.

That's true, technically. But there are such things as catfish. (Very affectionate, great memories and come when called.)

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Crespolini posted:

That's true, technically. But there are such things as catfish. (Very affectionate, great memories and come when called.)

They used to be called the Nanny Fish and Victorians would leave their children in the catfish’s care.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
i’d eat cat if i was starving too

we will be bonded in flesh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cats eat their owners because their pissy metabolism cannot go like 2 days without food.

You will p much always see that the food bowls are empty. Like if you were stranded and ur cat had died in a way that wouldn't pass illness to you, pretty sure u would eat them too if there was nothing else to eat

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Manager Hoyden posted:

The worst, most pathetic thing a person can talk about is their internet experiences or things they saw on social media. That is an instant, not kidding, no hyperbole at all walk-off for me

You can add explaining TV shows and/or movies to this as well and I don't think I have to mention the huge irritant that other people's dreams are. Yes we know it was weird, everyone's dreams are weird.

PHUO most Netflix shows suck, Netflix has tons of awful content and it's becoming more and more difficult to justify paying for it every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
What they did to Faye alone justifies pirating every piece of their content in perpetuity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dm5Qz41W4g

also yes I would like to unsubscribe from catfacts

edit: dont @ me fins

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Nov 18, 2021