Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Human Tornada posted:

Getting tetanus or rabies is worse than any shot could be.

Oh poo poo I misread it completely. Thought he said the shots where supposed to be extra unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not giving a child my balloon hat?

I would not give up that balloon hat.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I would also absolutely not.

And in this case it would have been easy for the staff member to just say “I’m sorry but these are needed for an event this evening.”

There, done.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for leaving a romantic vacation with my wife early because I missed my son?

quote:

Me and my wife have a five year old son, I work out of town for two weeks and she is a stay at home mom. I have 6 days at home every two weeks. My wife planned a romantic vacation because we have been trying for a baby and it’s been stressful plus she doesn’t get much alone time except when my son is in school but she’s usually doing other things like running errands, etc. So this was a chance for her to get a break and to bond. Unfortunately I ended up needing to work into my off days which meant I’d arrive home Monday night and come back the following Sunday evening. This meant that I got to see my son for only a few hours before leaving to go on vacation.

We drove to a location about four hours away. The first night here was nice, we went out to dinner, had a romantic bath and then had sex (this is important later). The following morning I really missed my son and asked my wife if I could we leave a day early, so leaving Thursday instead of Friday. She told me that she didn’t think we could get a refund for that night and didn’t want to waste it and would like to finish the vacation. We later went to lunch and I again brought up leaving a day early and just eating the cost of the hotel, she told me she didn’t want to waste the money and she’d stay and take a train home. I told her I didn’t want to leave her alone. When we got back to the hotel I asked her what she’d do if I did leave, she asked me if she agreed to leave right then and there if I’d go and I said yes, because I wanted to see my son, I also just bought a motorcycle and need to do some work on it before leaving again as well as having some time for myself. She got very upset and accused me of only agreeing to go on the vacation so we could have sex freely since our son is having sleep anxiety and currently sleeps in our bed and once I got that I wanted to go home so I could work on my motorcycle. This ended up in a huge fight and she basically said she didn’t feel like I wanted to be there and my comments had soured the vacation so she just wanted to pack up and head home right then and there. She ended up packing and storming out of the hotel and checking us out so I didn’t really have a choice to stay.

She cried most of the way home and I told her that I was not the one who wanted to leave, I only asked to leave a day early but she said I’d made it clear I’d rather go home and there was no point in staying with someone who didn’t want to be there. I truly miss my son and wanted to see him more than just two days. My wife doesn’t seem to understand this and says her feelings are very hurt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alchenar posted:

Everyone participates in the food preparation and cooking process, it's part of the ritual and also it's hard not to participate when the conversation is in the kitchen and it's obvious who isn't pulling their weight.

This. I have a big family that gets together for the holidays, and the kitchen is a constant madhouse of people ducking in and out to tend to whatever they brought or helping out with whatever, bitching over oven times and temperatures, retrieving the cat that snuck in to steal some turkey, etc.

In a functional, loving family, the whole insanity of the family getting together to share and cook Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner is all part of the fun and memories.

The OP of that story is not part of a functional, loving family.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Cythereal posted:

This. I have a big family that gets together for the holidays, and the kitchen is a constant madhouse of people ducking in and out to tend to whatever they brought or helping out with whatever, bitching over oven times and temperatures, retrieving the cat that snuck in to steal some turkey, etc.

In a functional, loving family, the whole insanity of the family getting together to share and cook Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner is all part of the fun and memories.

The OP of that story is not part of a functional, loving family.

Yeah, same pretty much. Our family rotates the venue each year so the same people aren’t always stuck cleaning and washing up etc, and everybody brings a specific plate - eg persons a, b and c bring salads, persons x, y and z bring desserts, persons d-f bring snacks, and so on.

Having the entire extended family descend on your place for the entire day and not contribute a loving thing sounds awful and exhausting.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

limp_cheese posted:

I don't think you are going to convince me you love your wife.

Betting he still has a thing for Stacey too.

Maybe her mom, too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

A huge part of the bullying problem in a lot of schools flows straight from the top.

When I was in high school, I got pulled into the office once, and was informed that a student (they refused to tell me who) had printed their own school newsletter thing and handed it out, and published a bunch of lovely comments about students they disliked. Apparently (they also wouldn't let me see the newsletter), it said that I liked to touch children.

The whole thing was a big blur because I hadn't heard about any of this 30 seconds earlier, but the takeaway was that they had called me (and the other students, presumably) in to get our reaction to this, with the implication being that if they could get all the students to sign off on this being just a little laugh, they could avoid punishing the perpetrator.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for leaving a romantic vacation with my wife early because I missed my son?

Lol this guy sucks. Sounds like he is lying to himself as much as reddit

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

This one been posted yet?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woman-outraged-horrible-encounter-running-215845382.html

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I would dearly love to help with the Thanksgiving preparation, but every time I try I get told to just go sit and wait. I'm not trying to get an early start on the deviled eggs Mom, you're in your fifties and your joints are shot to hell from thirty years of working in hospitals, let me help! I think she's too proud to admit she could use the help.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

lovely snipe,

(Update) My(m27) wife(f26) lost her job after leaving early numerous times out of concern for her friend's(f26) mental health after her miscarriage, but when I tried to talk to her, she made me out to be the enemy
[new]

That escalated not so much quickly as thoroughly.

Lol friendo 100% did everything in her power to cause this so her bestie would be divorced too. Both ex husbands are better off because both these women deserve each other.

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

cumshitter posted:

AITA for just leaving instead of accepting my "most annoying" award?
She's definitely The rear end in a top hat, I mean, her classmates went to all the trouble of getting a 100L barrel of pig's blood and rigging it to the ceiling to spill all over her and she just left?!

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for refusing to celebrate Thanksgiving with MIL after I promised to cook the turkey?

quote:

We currently live with MIL in her house of horrors. FIL left her a year ago and took the furniture because his mistress liked the aesthetic. MIL makes excellent money, I'm talking upper six figures, maybe love seven, but she can't be assed to get new furniture, so there is literally no couch, no chairs, not loving table. Her excuse is she is never home so it would only benefit us. It's pretty depressing, but whatever.

I asked permission to have a guest spend the night for my birthday and MIL was cool with it. I invited my best friend "Sharon". Sharon works at a law firm and her boss "Mike" is a mega rear end in a top hat. Mike is MIL's best friend since high school. I actually met Sharon's partner and than Sharon through him. Sharon loves to make fun of Mike, just to blow off steam. I've had rear end in a top hat bosses, so I get it. Also important context. MIL is never home. She is in love with her job and when she isn't at work she is seeing someone and goes to his house. I didn't even know MIL was home that night, but Sharon was making fun of Mike, doing her usual comedy routine and I heard rustling and giggling. I thought my husband was loving around or something, and went to the door and MIL and Mike were out there listening.

Sharon freaked out and was almost in tears, trying to apologize to Mike, but he was being an rear end about it. MIl was just laughing and said it wasn't her fault. they were up in her bed and could heard some of our conversation, so obviously came down. When my husband said it was weird that Mike was in her bed, MIL immediately played the victim about how she has no furniture and no where else to entertain.

Mike has been tormenting Sharon at work since the incident. I feel like MIL did this just to stir the poo poo, and I said I was no longer interesting in sharing a holiday with her, and will not be cooking the turkey. Now I dont think MIL really cares about me but she wanted me to cook the turkey. she was going to do all the sides and she is an excellent cook but convinced the turkey is going to be dry and wants me to take the blame. I said she didn't act like family, so no family holiday.

Now MIL is playing the victim and saying she was so excited to host (how was she going to host with no table???? how?) The extended family is taking my side and saying it is her first holiday being divorced and it was going to be our first time meeting her boyfriend, so I should show support. Some have even brought up that she let us live with her, but I feel like she hurt someone I deeply cared about for no reason, because MIL is aware of how Sharon feels about Mike and chose that night to have him over.

My husband says we can skip her dinner and go to my parents, but I'm getting so much poo poo from everyone and MIL has been nasty to me for the past couple days because she doesn't want to do the turkey.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Soylent Pudding posted:

r/relationships: we went out to dinner, had a romantic bath and then had sex (this is important later)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for refusing to return the $600 dollar gift I bought for mom for Christmas?

quote:

To start I want to mention that unlike my wife I have a very good relationship with mom. And because my siblings can always afford pricy gifts for mom this year I decided to gift her something nice and expensive for once on Christmas though I'm currently unemployed but I work for the past few months and my wife and I have a joint account.

The problem began when my wife found out I purchased a $600 dollar necklace for my mom to gift her on Christmas using our joint account- She went off on me saying I should've told her and shouldn't have taken money from our joint account that she uses to pay the bills and rent especially now that were struggling. I asked why should I tell her since it's for us both but she reminded me that despite that being true (1. I no longer work and (2. 600 is a lot and I should've consulted her but the reasons i didn't are (1. I feel that it's my money too and I can make purchases using our joint account and (2. I know if I told my wife she'd refuse to let my buy the gift solely because she hates my mom. She yelled at me saying that is her hard earn money I threw away and needed to return the necklace but i refused because mom already knows about it. She responded that this is no longer our joint account since I no longer earn money and that if I want to gift mom expensive items then needed to earn money. She insisted I return it but I said no and it escelated to me calling her bitter and control after she pointed out I never got her anything in this price range.

She's insisting I return it and at least get a cheaper one but I'm done being the one with the least expensive/valubale gifts to gift in the family. She is making this her hill to die on. Aita?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing to return the $600 dollar gift I bought for mom for Christmas?

This one might be above reddit's pay grade. Just too much nuance and way too many things to consider.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for prioritizing a pie server over my husband's career?

quote:

*Names are changed). I (26f) am married to David (28m). I enjoy baking and cooking, and right before Canadian Thanksgiving (beginning of Oct.), I baked a whole bunch of apple and pumpkin pies and froze them for later. My husband David, about 3 weeks ago, was asked to bring a dessert item for a potluck at work. He's a teacher, and also the only male teacher at his school (rest of the teachers are female-this will be relevant later on in my post). He doesn't like to cook or bake usually, so David asked me if he could bring two of my pies to school for the potluck. I said yes, as I didn't mind and I had lots of pies to spare. The issue was that he also wanted to bring my two pie servers to work with him as well. I said no initially, because I didn't want them to get lost or forgotten. He assured me that it would be fine and that I was being unreasonable for worrying about it. Cue the day of the potluck, a friday, when he returns home, no pie servers in hand. I asked him what happened, and he said that he forgot, but he'd get them next week (on the monday). Well, that didn't happen, and each time I asked, he said he forgot or was busy, etc. Finally at the end of that week, he brought home two pie servers, but one of them wasn't mine. It looked similar, but definitely not mine, and he asked me if we could just keep it, to avoid having to talk to his coworkers. I said "Absolutely not, I want it back." Two weeks go by with occasional reminders from me asking when he's going to get it back, and then yesterday, he says I need to stop asking because I'm not getting it back. Apparently, all the coworkers are female and he feels awkward interacting and talking to them. There is never the right moment to enquire about it, which is why he let 3 weeks lapse. He feels that it would be embarrassing for him to ask them for help to figure out what happened to my pie server. He says that I am making a big deal over nothing (and he has offered to buy me a new one). I am very angry and frusterated with him about this whole situation. I have told him that I am never helping again with another potluck, and he can't take any of my kitchen tools/items to "borrow". I threatened to contact his principal and coworkers over email to enquire about the pie server, since he won't talk to them, and he said I was being an rear end in a top hat/would damage his career. He said that I like lording this situation over him about a silly pie server. I just don't feel respected in this situation. I will accept his offer for a brand new pie server that I pick out, but the whole situation is still really nagging at me, and I want to know whether I was the rear end in a top hat for taking this argument too far, and being unreasonable?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for spending $600 of my wife's money on my mom?

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for leaving a romantic vacation with my wife early because I missed my motorcy--I, I, I mean my Harley I, I mean my chopper I mean hog I mean

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

I didn't know Tom Brady posted on reddit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

r/relationships: we went out to dinner, had a romantic bath and then had sex (this is important later)

Nice humblebrag, sex-haver

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

webmeister posted:

I mean, at 12, it's marginal, right?

12 is a year before high school, and absolutely not marginal to still believe in Santa

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

WIBTA: If I don't have my roomates join for my friendsgiving

quote:

I don't know them very well but we sublease rooms to them, while we own the home. We're planning on having our friendsgiving here and don't really want them to be apart of it. They can go to kitchen and whatever they do normally, but just eat our food and sit with us during it. We're not friends, but we do all live respectfully, at most I'd say they're acquaintances. Now I'm not going to tell them they can't, but I won't ask them to join either, so nothing really changes for them, we're just having people over.

More Context: They have access to the kitchen, though they rarely cook. They both share a bathroom while we use the bathroom in our master bedroom. It's not on Thanksgiving day, it's on Saturday. If they want to have people over they usually tell us, or they just go to there room with people they invite, one of them did have birthday party months ago, but hasn't happened again since. They're allowed 3 quests without telling us, but anymore we'd like to be notified. They also have access to the living room, but I've haven't seen them ever use it. They're pretty introverted people. They are also free to go to the kitchen, but usually when one of us does cook, we try not to get in each other's way.

Ok, pretty benign post. I wonder how this will play ou-

--

quote:

Sorry, but I think YWBTA. They live there, but you're going to exclude them, or exile them out of sight? It's a day for sharing. I can understand if they have somewhere else to go, but to tell them, "This is for us only, get out." is rather rude. Who knows, your friends might like them, etc.

quote:

op: I think it would be rude on their part to assume they can have our food. I'm not telling them to leave, but it would be pretty uncomfortable if they just pulled up a chair and set there, while grabbing a plate.

quote:

I gave my judgment elsewhere, but can we acknowledge the irony of this statement? You pretty much just described circumstances of the first Thanksgiving.

quote:

op: After seeing these comments, it definitely makes it seem like the holiday of entitlement. "OH you're cooking, well I live here so if you don't give me some, you're an rear end in a top hat. Please make sure to include me with your friends too"
--

quote:

It's kinda a dick move.

quote:

op: Man I've seen another post on here where someone didn't want to have their parents at Thanksgiving and they were NTA, but I don't want my roomates who I barley know I'm the rear end in a top hat? It just sounds like entitled roomates found this, and got their feelings hurt
--

quote:

Wouldn’t that be the opposite to the spirit of Thanksgiving?

quote:

op: Isn't it to celebrate what you're grateful for?
--

quote:

YTA. It's Thanksgiving—a holiday literally centered around sharing food and company with strangers.

quote:

op: I don't think that's how I'd describe the holiday, but difference of opinion.
--

quote:

Yes YWBTA. It’s awkward and unnecessarily alienating to have a big Friendsgiving event and not invite people who live with you. Would it really ruin your event to have them there? It’s Thanksgiving, a holiday that exists because once upon a time, complete strangers shared a feast.

quote:

op: So every holiday I'm supposed to include them just because they live there? Yeah I'd rather be the rear end in a top hat. You all sound so entitled lmao
--

quote:

It’s a slice of turkey and some stuffing is it really that big of a deal to offer? It’s kind of the idea of the day. Your friends might actually enjoy the guest stars at your dinner if they want to join. YWBTA

quote:

op: You're the type of person to just eat your roomates left overs without asking huh?
--
And, my personal favorite:

quote:

I’m Native American and you just showed why this holiday is a joke. You are an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

op: You would make a horrible roommate

why face your own sense of entitlement when you can just tantrum like a child and yell "ENTITLED" at everyone who disagrees with you

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
sigh, here we go again with those entitled indigenous peoples

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for leaving a bra on the floor to stop my brother from coming into my room?

quote:

Title sounds weird but I can explain.

I(18F) grew up in a very religious/Christian household. I’ve always been raised to keep stuff that’s considered feminine away from any men and children in my family. Besides my mother, I am the only girl in my family after six boys so that’s been a challenge for me.

I grew up sleeping on a bed in my parents room until I was around six. My parents then moved me into my own room since they didn’t want me sharing a room with my brothers. My brothers have always shown a little bit of jealousy towards this and seem to believe it’s not fully my room since my parents own the house. I grew up with them disrespecting my boundaries and constantly walking in without knocking. My parents usually blame me for this, telling me I should stand closer to the door when I change and shout out a warning when they open the door.

One of my brothers in particular does this at least three times a day. It was only recently when he walked in whilst I was laying in my bed and started messing with some stuff I had out. The thing he was playing with in particular was a small, handmade, cardboard robot one of my best friends made for me when I was around three. After I told him to stop he finally dropped it onto the floor and started talking to me. On his way out of my room he ended up accidentally stepping on it. I immediately got up to inspect it but it was pretty much flattened. He showed no remorse despite me trying to explain how much it meant to me. I then went to my parents but they did nothing and told me it was just a piece of cardboard. I tried to convince my parents to stop him from coming into my room but they refused to listen.

I had finally had enough so the next day I took three of my bras and placed them In front of my door. Later that day he opened the door and stepped on one of them. He just looked at me with a look of horror and walked out. A few minutes later I was called down by my parents who demanded to know why I had left my bras laying out where they’d be seen. I told them it was my room and it wasn’t my fault if he walked in there and saw them. They tried to give me a lesson on “living by the Bible” but I told them it was his fault for not knocking.

My whole family’s been giving me the cold shoulder for a few days and I’m starting to feel guilty and if I overreacted over a small toy.

AITA?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

the holy poopacy posted:

sigh, here we go again with those entitled indigenous peoples

Ugh, my native roommate keeps talking about "the rent agreement we both signed" and how I'm constantly "dominating their living space" or whatever idk. Anyway, I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because I stole all their stuff and killed a beloved pet on purpose, but I thought I'd ask Reddit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh, my native roommate keeps talking about "the rent agreement we both signed" and how I'm constantly "dominating their living space" or whatever idk. Anyway, I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because I stole all their stuff and killed a beloved pet on purpose, but I thought I'd ask Reddit.

Also, I gave them a blanket that had bedbugs. I knew it was infested but I really want their room to convert it into a games room. AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Piell posted:

AITA for leaving a bra on the floor to stop my brother from coming into my room?

This story is just so unbelievable. She'd never have unfettered access to internet to make this post much less know how to read and write

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Piell posted:

I wasn't aware the Bible had rules about bras.

She should also run from that household as soon as she can.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

WIBTA: If I don't have my roomates join for my friendsgiving

Ok, pretty benign post. I wonder how this will play ou-

--

--

--

--

--

--

--
And, my personal favorite:

why face your own sense of entitlement when you can just tantrum like a child and yell "ENTITLED" at everyone who disagrees with you

America.txt

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've had several tetanus shots in my life (FYI reminds me 2021 is supposed to be when I renew them), what's supposed to be worse about those than any other vaccination?

10 years ago, tetanus shots used a wider bore needle than most other shots.

Now, they are unremarkable.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Wait what? There is no indication that the roommates are native. Unless :thejoke:

For the record, if the roommates are indeed entitled and rude,I think they should be invited but have to make food and/or help clean up, as any host would. OTOH it’s not clear if they’ve even indicated they WANT to attend, it’s entirely likely OP is obnoxious and tedious to the point where the roommates would avoid it altogether on their own.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 18, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My experience with tetanus is that it isn't the shot that's the problem, it's the major pain in the arm muscle for the next couple of days. Didn't have that problem with a measles booster, any flu shot, or the J&J vaccination. My Moderna booster (yay mix-and-match) did hurt for two days, although not to the extent of tetanus. Tiny needle, barely felt the shot, but the immune reaction was memorable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Wait what? There is no indication that the roommates are native. Unless :thatisthejoke:

For the record, if the roommates are indeed entitled and rude,I think they should be invited but have to make food and/or help clean up, as any host would. OTOH it’s not clear if they’ve even indicated they WANT to attend, it’s entirely likely OP is obnoxious and tedious to the point where the roommates would avoid it altogether on their own.

uh, did you read it?

the op didn't say anything about the roommates being entitled or rude, op says they live respectfully. I'd bet dollars to donuts the roommates don't even know anything about this dinner yet

op is calling commenters on Reddit entitled and rude for reminding him that the spirit of the holiday is literally sharing food. One of the commenters said they were native American

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I had a roommate who would throw big dinner parties. I was technically invited but I had very little interest in hanging out with a bunch of people I didn't know for several hours, so I would politely say hello, make myself a plate of food and retreat to my room like the weird hermit that I am.

The bigger issue was that my roommate would use every pot in the house and stack the dishes high in the sink and all over the counters and then NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE MESS FOR AT LEAST TWO DAYS

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

uh, did you read it?

the op didn't say anything about the roommates being entitled or rude, op says they live respectfully. I'd bet dollars to donuts the roommates don't even know anything about this dinner yet

op is calling commenters on Reddit entitled and rude for reminding him that the spirit of the holiday is literally sharing food. One of the commenters said they were native American

I did read it, that’s why I offered a solution for either wild assumption we and reddit are making. And I said there was no evidence the roommates were native. Did you read my post?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I did read it, that’s why I offered a solution for either wild assumption we and reddit are making. And I said there was no evidence the roommates were native. Did you read my post?

they're riffing on the post because it would be even funnier and more ridiculous and missing the point of the holiday if they were native, a concept that completely wooshed by the op when a commenter said they were native. nobody is actually assuming the roommates are native

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

United States Thanksgiving is a preservation of nationalist myths told to uphold White Supremacy, YTA for having a dinner at all unless you’re putting in the same amount of time/money/effort/etc into supporting those locally who are unjustly forced into poverty, especially if said peoples are Native Americans.

I’m only being a tiny bit sarcastic. I do believe any modern Thanksgiving needs to reflect on the whys and hows of the day and I personally support it as a National Day of Mourning. As for the OP they’re not wrong, but they’re overthinking it. As a host they shouldn’t deny the roommates joining imo, but not for any holiday-specific reason.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rescue Toaster posted:

This one might be above reddit's pay grade. Just too much nuance and way too many things to consider.

I don't really see it? Like I'm sure specifics would add to the story, but he went behind his wife's back, drained their joint account, to buy an expensive gift he would never get his wife, because he wants to compete with his siblings.

If there were any details that would mitigate OP's actions enough to not be the rear end in a top hat, they would be included in the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't really see it? Like I'm sure specifics would add to the story, but he went behind his wife's back, drained their joint account, to buy an expensive gift he would never get his wife, because he wants to compete with his siblings.

If there were any details that would mitigate OP's actions enough to not be the rear end in a top hat, they would be included in the post.

:thejoke: