Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The midgame uniques really are extremely broken.

This team is practically invincible and kills minibosses of higher level within like 4 or 5 rounds on hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't like Nekomata. All of the other demons are fine but when I pass by a herd of wild catgirls, meowing and hissing, I Do Not Like It.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Here is something that has bugged me - is there any place in the game that tells you what the little status ailment icons mean? That was one reason I ignored them for so long. Yes, Z's is Sleep, Bubbles is Poison, and Hearts is Charm. What the gently caress about Mirage? I decided to try that giant boss in the first area and only after using the Avian skill did I realize the Weak in his Spyglass info is referring to Mirage because all it does is give me a symbol with no explanation of what it means.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

NikkolasKing posted:

Here is something that has bugged me - is there any place in the game that tells you what the little status ailment icons mean? That was one reason I ignored them for so long. Yes, Z's is Sleep, Bubbles is Poison, and Hearts is Charm. What the gently caress about Mirage? I decided to try that giant boss in the first area and only after using the Avian skill did I realize the Weak in his Spyglass info is referring to Mirage because all it does is give me a symbol with no explanation of what it means.

you can check the status of your demons in battle, that's how i worked out what all the status effects did. mirage lowers accuracy and might make you hit someone other than your target.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
My copy arrived a couple of days late so I only just beat the Tokyo Tower boss, but so far this game rules.

I like the essence system a lot more than 4’s demon whisper and 3’s magatamas, and the music and atmosphere are excellent.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

BabyRyoga posted:

The midgame uniques really are extremely broken.

This team is practically invincible and kills minibosses of higher level within like 4 or 5 rounds on hard.

I use the same team except Artemis instead of Alice, though I do keep her on hand for dark weakness and Daisoujou for ailment weakness

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I realized it a while ago now but it didn't dawn on me until...I dunno, the first real boss or maybe even after, that turn order is entirely set by party placement. Characters in first slot always go first and so-on. Agility determines turn order in every other Press Turn game I know of. I guess it was changed here to accommodate Magatushi skills; I always have my MC in the second spot now so the first slot can be taken up by my resident Jaki and they can start off any notable fight with the free Debilitate.

...I didn't realize you could even do this. I got used to MCs being locked in the first position and didn't even try.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

enojy posted:

You people are ridiculous. Hard mode is ridiculous. I made it to the first proper-ish boss at Tokyo Tower with Nahobino and another demon at 17, the other two at 14 or 15, and the thing just stomped the poo poo out of me in one turn (in "phase two").

thats just the game telling you your setup is wrong. i beat thhat boss at 14 or 15 on hard.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is there any way to beat the level 99 abscess at low levels (I'm in the 60s)? I hate having it on the map

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Is there any way to beat the level 99 abscess at low levels (I'm in the 60s)? I hate having it on the map

I abused sleep and picked them off one by one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah you gotta play real smart due to how little damage you do from the level difference. If you can do an opening salvo on the pixie and kill her in like one round from the magatsuhi critical move it makes it alot easier IME.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also I think my favorite boss theme so far is the one played for Oni and King Frost, among others probably but just giving two examples because the song rules and I wish I knw what it was. I'm scared to look up soundtrack info for spoiler reasons

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TopHatGenius posted:

I saw this earlier today.

And then an hour ago this was posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwf2v--h7Pw

Holy poo poo he did it already lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

enojy posted:

You people are ridiculous. Hard mode is ridiculous. I made it to the first proper-ish boss at Tokyo Tower with Nahobino and another demon at 17, the other two at 14 or 15, and the thing just stomped the poo poo out of me in one turn (in "phase two"). Maybe I'll try again if NG+ lets you carry over enough stuff...

Stux posted:

thats just the game telling you your setup is wrong. i beat thhat boss at 14 or 15 on hard.

I beat him at 13 on Hard a couple days ago. Things that help:
  • Dampeners. Specifically use a Dark Dampener every time he gathers magatsuhi, and I think using a Fire Dampener every other turn or so isn't a bad idea since you can kinda predict when the fire breaths are coming.
  • Debuffs from my pal Neko Shogun. Neko Shogun can get the full suite of debuffs (Fang Breaker instead of Tarunda but it's the same effect) so just have him keep the boss weakened. Takes a lot of the edge off.
  • Status effects. Specifically the boss can be put to sleep, and Mermaid (who is already great against him) learns Dormina.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

They could make that work.

Maybe they could work as one time use summons, that would be very effective for particular brief moments in the game but then become impotent once that time passes.

Using that meme of wizard Kermit saying "Behold, the most powerful spell of all. Are you ready to meet God?" as the killing blow on YHWH would be cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RubberLuffy posted:

I abused sleep and picked them off one by one.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah you gotta play real smart due to how little damage you do from the level difference. If you can do an opening salvo on the pixie and kill her in like one round from the magatsuhi critical move it makes it alot easier IME.

Good thoughts. I'll throw myself against it tonight. Just got that and one other left and I can finally actually get exploring this map without impediments haha

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
You can also check your inventory for item spells. I had about 5 of those heavy ice spells. Might be RNG tho on how many you have. It's definitely a doozy on hard but very possible.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Harrow posted:

I beat him at 13 on Hard a couple days ago. Things that help:
  • Dampeners. Specifically use a Dark Dampener every time he gathers magatsuhi, and I think using a Fire Dampener every other turn or so isn't a bad idea since you can kinda predict when the fire breaths are coming.
  • Debuffs from my pal Neko Shogun. Neko Shogun can get the full suite of debuffs (Fang Breaker instead of Tarunda but it's the same effect) so just have him keep the boss weakened. Takes a lot of the edge off.
  • Status effects. Specifically the boss can be put to sleep, and Mermaid (who is already great against him) learns Dormina.

Also as an extra help you can recruit Apsaras by doing her quest, she comes at 16 regardless of your level and has Bufu proficiency so she's a second damage dealer with Mermaid. And her quest is as simple as abusing Dark Dampeners because the bosses only have Dark and physical

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

poe meater posted:

You can also check your inventory for item spells. I had about 5 of those heavy ice spells. Might be RNG tho on how many you have. It's definitely a doozy on hard but very possible.

Heck, I've been using item spells way more often than I ever have in other SMT & Persona games. I guess it's because a lot of boss fights can be a battle of attrition so every little bit counts.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Heck, I've been using item spells way more often than I ever have in other SMT & Persona games. I guess it's because a lot of boss fights can be a battle of attrition so every little bit counts.

It is how I got through the first phase of the 2nd area final boss. It was almost comical how well that worked.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
every time i get into that "ehh the overworld battles are now easy" mode i find that one unscouted dude who gets the drop on my party and KOs half the squad on turn 1

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any tips for fighting that Yungurlur abscess?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So a driving concern in fantasy fiction with gosd and demons is "why do beings with phenomenal cosmic power and immortality care about humans?" Humans have neither of those things yet are often at the center of the story. Some answer it by saying Human Faith empowers the gods. In terms of SMT, IVA said it's because only humans can truly slay gods and kill them forever while demons can only seal or wound other demons. Apparently here it's because we are all imbued with the lingering Knowledge/true full power of the old gods. This idea that YHVH ascended and hosed over all the old gods was super prominent in Strange Journey and IVA and still seems to be a big focus here. In SJ and IVA, YHVH made the previously beautiful gods - Asherah for example is a sexy blond lady yet she was turned into the ugly Asura - into weaker, demonic forms of themselves. I wonder if that will be touched on here more later as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that came from the chaos ending of 1

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Stux posted:

that came from the chaos ending of 1

Non-canon.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Forget Animal Crossing grandma, how about SMT grandma

https://twitter.com/Food4Dogs/status/1459672756983791618

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no thaht part is specifically canon lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am perhaps not a strong enough gamer for Hard mode, starting to just find it kinda frustrating. Maybe it's down to the pacing--every fight being a struggle for survival just kinda gets tiring, I think. I feel like I want the challenge to have some peaks and valleys rather than being all peak all the time. Not turning it down just yet though because even though I am weak and bad at video games I am also extremely stubborn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Forget Animal Crossing grandma, how about SMT grandma

https://twitter.com/Food4Dogs/status/1459672756983791618

This lady rules

She has good videos on Atelier games, too

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She's great.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
SMT granny is the most wholesome thing I’ve ever seen.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
only if she's chaos aligned

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Is magatsuhi wellspring worth the 150 glory investment in the fairly early game? About how much HP/MP do you get each turn?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
A pittance, less than ten percent.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Item Getter posted:

Is magatsuhi wellspring worth the 150 glory investment in the fairly early game? About how much HP/MP do you get each turn?

it's not a lot but its passive regen that can be clutch for longer fights. not like you have much to spend on glory anyway, if you don't get baited by the proficiency buffs and other crap. as long as you have enough glory for demon skills, slots, and the ability to let demons use items.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Item Getter posted:

Early game I would say no but it does seem like a good long term investment to help with sustainability.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
almighty damage is strength based, right? so not worth investing in for a magic build MC?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think almighty is just non-elemental, anything strength based will explicitly say so

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't know why they made Ippon-Datara sound like that but he rules. Sounds like he's completely unhinged, having his arm cut off, and enjoying every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

almighty damage is strength based, right? so not worth investing in for a magic build MC?

Assuming you are talking about the Aogami ability the fact it specifically called out as using the strength stat means that it is usually a magic attack.