Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

Gabrus is so hammered in this

What's up with his voice? He sounds like he ate Betsy Sodaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What's up with his voice? He sounds like he ate Betsy Sodaro.

did say he was mid-tour and did a full show literally just before this recording, where he was no doubt yelling as much as he always does lol

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Gabrus said Griffin has strong vibes of someone who rode the subway to school. I like griffin but that’s a sick burn. I’d join a special Patreon tier for an ep where Gabrus roasts Hodgman for an hour.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Gabrus said Griffin has strong vibes of someone who rode the subway to school. I like griffin but that’s a sick burn. I’d join a special Patreon tier for an ep where Gabrus roasts Hodgman for an hour.

Listening to Griffin describe the absurd, but low-rent kind of hippie alternative middle or high school he went to as a kid was a trip. It's the kind of school that is simultaneously weird/cheaply done but also can only exist in an ecosystem as large as a big city (or on a commune). Stuff like PE being "run around the way a rhino would," while some dude plays a piano.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

“The only adult child actor” killed me.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The Ate-TL running subplot of Mitch needing to poo poo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The ongoing saga of Mitch complaining about an audio problem that is undetectable to the listener while Emma shushes him.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol Yusong's podcast has only one single star review and it's from his parents.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

mlmp08 posted:

The ongoing saga of Mitch complaining about an audio problem that is undetectable to the listener while Emma shushes him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0QqiRfosx0

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
her podcast must be a riot

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nice coke shaming.

Dangercakes
Oct 21, 2005

Let cake eat them.
Nearly 2 weeks out of Dogdoughbarkfest and I still have the Let Me Be Frank theme stuck in my head. I will never know peace.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dangercakes posted:

Nearly 2 weeks out of Dogdoughbarkfest and I still have the Let Me Be Frank theme stuck in my head. I will never know peace.

Suckin at your brain
Like you're suckin on a titty

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mitch said Kowalick would drink Pedialyte and claim to have stolen it from a baby, then a baby would walk in and Kowalick would start cowering

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
More like Matt Kowardice

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol Yusong's podcast has only one single star review and it's from his parents.

I don’t know that I “get” Yusong. Is him not being funny whenever he pops on a bit?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I don’t know that I “get” Yusong. Is him not being funny whenever he pops on a bit?

kind of yeah

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Eh that's fair, not every guest is fun for every listener. I like his role and Biggie Feedbags are my favorite eps but if his deal doesn't work he's not on like 95% of eps. Kinda like I skip over Bugmane eps.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Eh that's fair, not every guest is fun for every listener. I like his role and Biggie Feedbags are my favorite eps but if his deal doesn't work he's not on like 95% of eps. Kinda like I skip over Bugmane eps.

I don’t have the double anymore, had bugmane been back? I feel like it’s been several years

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t have the double anymore, had bugmane been back? I feel like it’s been several years

Nah I don't think so. Just used him as an example of a guest I've skipped past after listening for 15 minutes and realized it's not for me. A more recent one was that hot dog salesman or whatever he was.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I could do without five+ minute manscaped ad reads tbh

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

indigi posted:

I feel like I'm having to hammer on my 30 second skip button a lot more lately. Across everything I listen to.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Fartington Butts posted:

I feel like I'm having to hammer on my 30 second skip button a lot more lately. Across everything I listen to.

I first noticed this recently on my iHeart podcasts. Just unstoppable deluges.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah iheart has like 2 minutes of prerecorded pre and post roll then a break every 12 minutes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

indigi posted:

At first it was a neat novelty but sheesh they really ran it into the ground.

I feel like there are more ads these days than a year or two ago and they're longer too. I never bothered to skip them in the past but these days I immediately skip.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The only prerecorded ads that have bugged me lately are on The Sloppy Boys. Half of them are absolutely incomprehensible "Enterprise solutions" kind of spots, and the other half are petroganda that Exxon or whoever really, really, REALLY gives a poo poo about climate change now and they're 100% committed to...being very concerned about it; not action at this time but let's not get crazy here, it's about incremental steps.

I like the Doughboys' Manscapped ads, but only the first time I hear them.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 24, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I thought sloppy boys was patreon

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

indigi posted:

I thought sloppy boys was patreon

It's Doughboys style, their "The Blowout" weekly bonus eps/new monthly episodes of Questions for Lennon are paywalled, the Friday main drink review show is free. A good listen...maybe not if you're in recovery, though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yusong owns, best ghost out there.

I get tired of the manscaped/CBD/hims nonstop ads on a few of my podcasts.

It reminds me of younger me seeing people watching Fox News and the audience not noticing that 90% of the ads were boner pills, gold, and survival food. And that funny DVD set about how to make a teen respect you.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
did you guys know you can fast forward the ads

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it owns. Just sometimes tricky while driving as I weigh an ad vs risk to self and those around me.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mennoknight posted:

yeah it’s annoying

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mlmp08 posted:

It reminds me of younger me seeing people watching Fox News and the audience not noticing that 90% of the ads were boner pills, gold, and survival food. And that funny DVD set about how to make a teen respect you.

I've been very cognizant of the progression of podcast ads from "Hey, young person, here's some fun stuff you could spend some discretionary money on" when I started listening to "You need a new mattress! With subscription meal kits, you could learn to cook for yourself, y'know? And, hey, how about spending a little more money on the kind of essentials you use every day?" a few years ago to "You're losing your hair and you can't get it up anymore. You old sack of poo poo. You still haven't learned to dress yourself so now Mack Weldon makes pre-coordinated chinos and shirts so you don't have to think about what you wear." today.

mennoknight posted:

Yeah but I typically still listen to native advertisements if I know the hosts have fun with them (Hollywood Handbook, Doughboys if Nick and Mitch both tackle the spot)

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
at least the doughboys haven't started doing crypto ads yet like podcast: the ride

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Some of the Doughboys ads have felt a little low-rent for a big enough show - nicotine gum with Nick and some weird post-workout supplement with Mitch.

Then again, I’d probably look down on Joe Rogan ads worse.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the only good podcast ad is the Hollywood Handbook one that got Brilliant Earth to pull their spots from the show

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

indigi posted:

the only good podcast ad is the Hollywood Handbook one that got Brilliant Earth to pull their spots from the show

Funky Factable: Human penus is almost two inches.

I'd expand that list to include:

- the HH ad that pissed off Inuit Quickbooks (You have to do your own taxes now because you slept with your accountant's kid)
- the HH ad that pissed off Away luggage ("Can't, or WON'T?")*
- the HH ad that pissed off Quip (Quip is the only toothbrush that is so high-quality that burglars will simply steal them rather than taking photos of themselves sticking it up their butts and replacing it while you're on vacation and you don't find out until you get the film developed)
- the HH ad that pissed off the guy who has like a dozen albums of songs with titles like "Poop Into a Wormhole" and "I Pee When I Poop [But Not the Other Way Around]"

Basically advertisers don't realize how good for them it is when Handbook does a "bad" ad, even before you find out that there was drama

*(Also a month or two after this one an article came out about how Away was a shining example of a tech startup with an absolutely toxic top-down corporate culture, making their "Pulled the ad from the episode within 12 hours of publishing" response even funnier)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Beaten.

I'll add the cards against humanity set

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 24, 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Maybe this is too obvious to even bother mentioning but the HH Harry's razors ads were basically all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Norm MacDonald would roast advertisers so much he’d constantly have to find replacements, it owned.