Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

I'd spend it on replacing the headlight assembly with the one the limited gets. I don't want the leather seats but I have to have the lights, which are apparently plug and play.

Ooh the headlights on my Impreza are terrible. Do you have more info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Charles posted:

Ooh the headlights on my Impreza are terrible. Do you have more info?

Seems kinda steep and rather limited (har har) https://www.fastwrx.com/products/subaru-led-headlamps-2018-2021-wrx-sti

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve found them for 1500 total but I’d also try to sell the stock to recover some of it.

I did have a red STI Limited show up down the road for MSRP.

:getin:?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I would 100% go with that over a WRX, especially at MSRP. Even more so if you plan on keeping things stock for a while for the warranty - FA WRX is just not that great stock, but the STI is still super fun and direct from the factory.

If you’re gonna go with an old platform, might as well go with the most classic experience you’re gonna be able to find. DCCD is really nice to have as well.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
STI

e: speaking of, if anyone debadged their STI and wants make a couple bucks, i’ve been wanting to slap one on the outback for trolling purposes

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

The other outdated option is the HU and speakers, easily fixed with that 4k extra. Seems like a decent deal really and its a great car. If they gave you a vin you can check to see if the sticker shows up here https://subaruwindowsticker.com/

edit: or the sti if its in the budget range

Fingat fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 17, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I plan to not keep it stock are the rev/lag issues fixed with tuning, other stuff, and practice driving it? I may end up not wanting to go full STI...

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Yes, they are absolutely fixed with a tune. If you’re not familiar with tuning, the most common off the shelf option is by using a Cobb Accessport and their in built tunes. They are the most conservative out there, and from what I recall, it did help but it was fairly subtle. The bigger issue with these cars is that there is a noticeable drop off in torque towards the rev limiter which makes it feel..not great when trying to rev it out.

In stock form, the car will also pull timing from you quite often to prevent knock, in practice this means that it doesn’t feel very consistent - I would constantly have jerky shifts because I would be off by a second predicting what the car would do.

The other OTS tune I ran was from MAPerformance, which genuinely made the car brilliant. Rev hang disappeared, torque delivery was super consistent and it wouldn’t constantly pull timing on you. The car finally felt fun instead of trying to deal with it’s quirkiness. I think i used their 93 tune without any other mods for 15k miles with no issues before running a custom one.

Here’s the big thing though - it is very possible that if you bring your car in for a warranty repair, it could be denied if the dealership makes a case that the tune was related. I just got lucky and nothing happened, but ymmv.

Personally, i would still think about an STI as that thing is gonna hold its value. There’s no other manufacturer making anything close to it, and it’s so analogue feeling that it’s a genuine throwback. I would love to own one again and I wouldn’t touch/mod a single thing on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

A guy at my local dealership I've been using for years is offering me a 2021 WRX Premium in the Rally Blue for 33 out the door including tax. My 2019 Forester got an offer for just over 37. I'm thinking about doing this because I love the WRX and want a stick again. I can't test drive the car without a deposit until it comes in because they don't even see the lot when they do.

I feel like that price isn't too stupid for an incredibly stupid market. Thoughts?

Get it Get it Get it Get it

just make sure it’s in good order

Edit: I just saw the stuff about the STI. FFS get that one instead, but yeah. loving trade in that Forrester, you’re going to die one day.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Kicking in the dealership door:

Someone on the internet told me I was going to die. Red please.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rolo posted:

Kicking in the dealership door:

Someone on the internet told me I was going to die. Red please.
Is this not how everyone buys cars :confused:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dk2m posted:

Yes, they are absolutely fixed with a tune. If you’re not familiar with tuning, the most common off the shelf option is by using a Cobb Accessport and their in built tunes. They are the most conservative out there, and from what I recall, it did help but it was fairly subtle. The bigger issue with these cars is that there is a noticeable drop off in torque towards the rev limiter which makes it feel..not great when trying to rev it out.

In stock form, the car will also pull timing from you quite often to prevent knock, in practice this means that it doesn’t feel very consistent - I would constantly have jerky shifts because I would be off by a second predicting what the car would do.

The other OTS tune I ran was from MAPerformance, which genuinely made the car brilliant. Rev hang disappeared, torque delivery was super consistent and it wouldn’t constantly pull timing on you. The car finally felt fun instead of trying to deal with it’s quirkiness. I think i used their 93 tune without any other mods for 15k miles with no issues before running a custom one.

Here’s the big thing though - it is very possible that if you bring your car in for a warranty repair, it could be denied if the dealership makes a case that the tune was related. I just got lucky and nothing happened, but ymmv.

Personally, i would still think about an STI as that thing is gonna hold its value. There’s no other manufacturer making anything close to it, and it’s so analogue feeling that it’s a genuine throwback. I would love to own one again and I wouldn’t touch/mod a single thing on it.

I am somewhat car stupid, but the Cobb Stage 1 OTS tune made a big difference on my mostly stock STI. Runs noticeably smoother across revs, less hang and less knock.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Has anyone upgraded speakers on a crosstrek? How do I make this thing not sound like a tin can?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Has anyone upgraded speakers on a crosstrek? How do I make this thing not sound like a tin can?

you’re never going to fix the engine

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Drove the STI. Clutch feels amazing. Went in expecting a quirky shifting experience but it was smoother than my mustang was. This thing was like riding a bike right out of the lot. Engine was nice and responsive, awesome performance in the high range and on the highway.

It’s a really nice car. Also red seat belts what a world!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Drove the STI. Clutch feels amazing. Went in expecting a quirky shifting experience but it was smoother than my mustang was. This thing was like riding a bike right out of the lot. Engine was nice and responsive, awesome performance in the high range and on the highway.

It’s a really nice car. Also red seat belts what a world!

you know what you must do

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I bought it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

I bought it.

poo poo yeah

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Rolo posted:

I bought it.

My man

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think the reason I got to this car before anyone else is that it’s the tiny-spoiler trunk.

I like the giant wing, it looks awesome and it’s like the main focal point of the STI but I’m also totally cool with my daily just looking like a WRX with fancy stuff bolted on.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Rolo posted:

I think the reason I got to this car before anyone else is that it’s the tiny-spoiler trunk.

I like the giant wing, it looks awesome and it’s like the main focal point of the STI but I’m also totally cool with my daily just looking like a WRX with fancy stuff bolted on.

But look at this way if you decide to trunk swap later you wont be heckled. Ill make sure to keep an eye out for you and give you a wave.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was so stoked to drive it yesterday I didn’t take any pics so here’s what it looks like without the wing:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Great choice. It looks fantastic without the wing. People talk poo poo about the STI because its a bit long in the tooth but I think it’s a future classic. You get a real manual trans that shifts great and is pretty much unbreakable, a very well understood engine with a great aftermarket that is cheap to rebuild if it ever needs it, two Torsen diffs and a DCCD instead of a some garbage brake biasing that kills pads and overheats, direct mechanical shifter, and hydraulic power steering. The next STI will have more power but I predict it will be less engaging.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I think I’m going to keep it wingless, my first car love was the WRX so having all the parts of the STI jammed into what looks like one has become my happy place.

Suspension chat: The first time took it on the freeway entrance loop my eyes went wide at how this thing grabs the road. My last fast car was a mustang so I’ve never had a car that doesn’t take out an entire Cars n Coffee when I turn the wheel hard. This thing is like a happy puppy when I turn and I can’t stop smiling.

What a great car, I’m so glad I found this one. Thanks for the peer pressure everyone.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rolo posted:

Yeah I think I’m going to keep it wingless, my first car love was the WRX so having all the parts of the STI jammed into what looks like one has become my happy place.

Suspension chat: The first time took it on the freeway entrance loop my eyes went wide at how this thing grabs the road. My last fast car was a mustang so I’ve never had a car that doesn’t take out an entire Cars n Coffee when I turn the wheel hard. This thing is like a happy puppy when I turn and I can’t stop smiling.

What a great car, I’m so glad I found this one. Thanks for the peer pressure everyone.

Nice car, but the wing really makes it perfect IMO...

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m a no-winger myself. I think it looks sharper as an understated sport sedan that can rip than as a boy-racer-mobile

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All that wing, disruption of visibility, decrease in fuel economy for what, 300 pounds of downforce?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also am I a scrub if I bolt on an intake so I can hear the turbo?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

um excuse me posted:

All that wing, disruption of visibility, decrease in fuel economy for what, aesthetics

yes

(also it doesn't disrupt visibility at all)

Rolo posted:

Also am I a scrub if I bolt on an intake so I can hear the turbo?

Yes, definitely -- also that's my next/only planned mod, yolo

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol what?

Why would you try and convince me of something I can so easily just Google?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Subaru needs to make WRX/STi wagons again so you can just line the roof with spoilers to satiate your desire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

um excuse me posted:

All that wing, disruption of visibility, decrease in fuel economy for what, 300 pounds of downforce?

There is no way it makes even a third of that, haha

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Subaru needs to make WRX/STi wagons again so you can just line the roof with spoilers to satiate your desire.

Again, I seriously think we can trick subaru of america into making a crosstrek "STI" to match Ford's ST SUVs or something.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I love the wing but I would get self conscious having it while getting pulled on by your run of the mill family car

It’s a pretty loud statement to make is all I’m saying. I feel the same way about the Type R so this isn’t just a Subaru thing

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They’re making a Crosstrek STI hybrid already, it’s the 2022 WRX.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was going to joke that the WRX would need to be 50% cladding by weight to match the crosstrek but looking at both... they actually are about the same. That just raises the question of why they made a Crosstrek sedan!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

Again, I seriously think we can trick subaru of america into making a crosstrek "STI" to match Ford's ST SUVs or something.

If the Focus ST was still being made, probably. But the Edge ST is Forester size so you know Subaru would just put a turbo engine in that and pair it to a CVT only just to piss everyone off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cobb questions because I’m bored:

1. Can an OTS tune partially void the warranty if the broken thing is related?
2. Can you re-flash the stock tune and be like ‘lol idk what’s an ECU?’
3. Can you just flash, unplug it and throw it in the glove box? Mounting it looks dumb to me.

If it’s on the safe time-tested side I may try it someday. If it’s warranty-hosed territory I’ll stop there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres a times flashed counter on the ECU so even if you flash back they know its been messed with and if something the ECU controls then dies they'll have questions. Or maybe your dealership will gloss over that and bill lots of sweet rebuild time to SoA, idk how the math works out.

US law only prevents a warranty from being voided by third party services and accessories if that modification is what broke the thing. If you're flashing the ECU and you then have a power train issue that's sure going to look like it was something you did...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So sounds like I should take the car well past the break-in stock in case I have any factory defects that I’ll want to pin on the factory.