Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
someone on reddit compiled every Meltzer five star match by match time, which is great for the matches of shorter times that got five stars. Here's all the ones that are exactly 20 minutes or less

Dynamite Kid VS Tiger Mask - NJPW Big Fight Series 2 Day 19 - April 21st 1983 (6m 52s)

Dynamite Kid VS Tiger Mask - NJPW Big Fight Series 2 Day 19 - April 21st 1983 (11m 12s)

Kuniaki Kobayashi VS Tiger Mask - AJPW Gekitoh Exciting Wars Day 14 - March 9th 1985 (11m 22s)

Bandido VS Dragon Lee - PWG Battle of Los Angeles Day 3 - September 22nd 2019 (11m 53s)

Tomohiro Ishii VS Katsuyori Shibata - NJPW G1 23 Day 4 - August 4th 2013 (12m 17s)

Best Friends VS Santana and Ortiz - AEW Dynamite - September 16th 2020 (13m 3s)

Big Van Vader VS Keji Muto - NJPW Violent Storm In Kokugikan Day 2 - August 10th 1991 (13m 54s)

Bandido, Flamita and Rey Horus VS Black Taurus, Laredo Kid and Puma King - PWG Sixteen - July 27th 2019 (14m 12s)

The Fantastics VS The Sheepherders - NWA Jim Crockett Sr Memorial Cup - April 19th 1986 (14m 26s)

Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota VS Kyoko Inoue and Toshiyo Yamada - AJW Tag League Day 43 - December 10th 1993 (14m 49s)

Jushin Thunder Liger VS The Great Sasuke - NJPW Summer Struggle Day 8 - July 8th 1994 (15m 15s)

Kyoko Inoue and Toshiyo Yamada VS Akira Hokuto And Manami Toyota - AJW Tag League Day 43 - December 10th 1993 (15m 36s)

Rey Mysterio Jr VS Juventud Guerrera - ECW Big rear end Extreme Bash - Match 9th 1996 (15m 57s)

Lucha Bros VS El Hijo Del Vikingo & Lerado Kid - AAA Heroes Immortales XIV - October 10th 2021 (16m 25s)

Kyoko Inoue and Takako Inoue VS Cutie Suzuki And Mayumi Ozaki - AJW Dream Slam 1 - April 2nd 1993 (16m 44s)

Kota Ibushi VS Minoru suzuki - NJPW G1 30 Day 13 - October 10th 2020 (16m 58s)

Kenny Omega VS Rey Fenix - AEW Dynamite New Years Smash - January 6th 2021 (17m 1s)

Keji Muto and Shiro Koshinaka VS Akira Maeda and Nobuhiko Takada - NJPW Spring Flare Up Day 21 - March 20th 1987 (17m 4s)

Aja Kong VS Manami Toyota - AJW Doumu Super woman Great War ~ Big Egg Wrestling Universe - November 20th 1994 (17m 17s)

Atsushi Onita, El Hijo Del Santo and Tarzan Goto VS Horace Boulder, Negros Casas and Tim Patterson - FMW In Los Angeles - May 16th 1992 (17m 21s)

Undisputed Era VS Mustache Mountain - NXT - July 11th 2018 (17m 30s)

Hiroshi Tanahashi VS Katsuyori Shibata - NJPW Destruction in Kobe - September 21st 2014 (17m 57s)

Will Ospreay VS Bandido - NJPW BOTSJ XXVI Day 8 - May 23rd 2019 (18m 3s)

Tomohiro Ishii VS Hirooki Goto - NJPW G1 28 Day 6 - July 21st 2018 (18m 15s)

Ric Flair VS Terry Funk - NWA Clash of the Champions 9 - November 15th 1989 (18m 33s)

Bruiser Brody And Stan Hansen VS The Funks - AJPW Real World Tag League Day 15 - December 8th 1984 (18m 42s)

Tomohiro Ishii VS Kazuchika Okada - NJPW G1 26 Day 13 - August 6th 2016 (18m 43s)

Wild Pegasus VS The Great Sasuke - NJPW Super J Cup ~ 1ST STAGE ~ - April 16th 1994 (18m 46s)

Razor Ramon VS Shawn Michael's - WWF WrestleMania X - March 20th 1994 (18m 47s)

El Hijo Del Santo and Octagon VS La Pareja Del Terror - AAA When World collide - November 6th 1994 (19m 20s)

Kenny Omega VS Hirooki Goto - NJPW G1 28 Day 4 - July 19th 2018 (19m 29s)

Manami Toyota VS Toshiyo Yamada - AJW Mid Summer Typhoon - August 15th 1992 (19m 45s)

Bull Nakano VS Akira Hokuto - AJW - January 4th 1991 (19m 46s)

Jushin Thunder Liger VS Naoki Sano - NJPW New Spring Gold Series - January 31st 1990 (20m)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

kalensc posted:

Has Meltzer always taken 20 minutes to express 1 minute of concrete thought/analysis?

Nah. He's usually not THAT brief :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kalensc posted:

Has Meltzer always taken 20 minutes to express 1 minute of concrete thought/analysis?

he's thinking twenty years ahead, he needs to slow his speaking or else he'll reveal the booking future of the entire wrestling world

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lid posted:

someone on reddit compiled every Meltzer five star match by match time, which is great for the matches of shorter times that got five stars. Here's all the ones that are exactly 20 minutes or less

Rey/Eddie from Halloween Havoc isn't one of them? Wow.

fake edit: ****3/4, it seems

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

kalensc posted:

That's kinda his gimmick.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I like how the YT paid preview segments will occasionally post an entire Dave tangent, almost like a warning if you're about to put down money.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

D.N. Nation posted:

Rey/Eddie from Halloween Havoc isn't one of them? Wow.

fake edit: ****3/4, it seems

one of the more notorious "well he's wrong" just like the entirety of Danielson's ROH run and for WWE the first Undertaker/HBK match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

I like how the YT paid preview segments will occasionally post an entire Dave tangent, almost like a warning if you're about to put down money.

it's an advertisement

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

D.N. Nation posted:

Is the warning that you've been a fool not to be a subscriber to get access to this stuff on the regular?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Is the warning that you've been a fool not to be a subscriber to get access to this stuff on the regular?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lid posted:

Dynamite Kid VS Tiger Mask - NJPW Big Fight Series 2 Day 19 - April 21st 1983 (6m 52s)

Having a hard time picturing a 7 minute ***** match.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Lid posted:

Dynamite Kid VS Tiger Mask - NJPW Big Fight Series 2 Day 19 - April 21st 1983 (11m 12s)

Were these actually two seperate matches that took place at different times of the show, or was this one match that ended prematurely for whatever reason and then restarted like nothing happened?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

1glitch0 posted:

Having a hard time picturing a 7 minute ***** match.

that is a bit of a minsomer, the match got restarted due to a double countout after 11 minutes and the second half was 7 minutes which ALSO ended in a double count out

both matches got five stars as one continous match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Heres the whole thing

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=209703080357774

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Awesome!!! Thanks!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Lid posted:

one of the more notorious "well he's wrong" just like the entirety of Danielson's ROH run and for WWE the first Undertaker/HBK match.

Hell in a cell was 5* 🙂

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dave has been experiencing star hyperinflation since 2019, if only we had some way to put ratings on the blockchain to fix this issue

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jackie D posted:

Hell in a cell was 5* 🙂

yes, and it wasn't as good as either Mania match

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dave's alarm clock for best new character.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
feed not updating for anyone else? theres a new ep on the site but nothing in podcastaddict

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

kalensc posted:

Getting back into wrestling (sort of) and I liked a lot of the Bryan & Vinny & Craig and Bryan & (bearded guy who is in some sort of control room?) segments I found on youtube.

I shouldn't expect to find much free content on their site yea? Eps from the 00s and 10s are usually subscriber-only right?

And what happened to other folks from F4W and WO, like Wade Keller? I used to print out (lol) his write-ups of Raw/Nitro/etc and read them on the bus wayyy back around 2000.

Yeah, most of it’s behind a paywall though the YT segments are decent tbh.
I don’t know it’s always been the case, but you will learn to understand and maybe even appreciate Meltzer’s pedantry with time and repeated exposure. He’s actually less like that on any show he’s in person for, but that’s few and far between.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Incessant Excess posted:

feed not updating for anyone else? theres a new ep on the site but nothing in podcastaddict

The Dave show was mislabeled as WOL

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lone Goat posted:

The Dave show was mislabeled as WOL

arigato

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

vinny complaining about the number of apron spots at full gear and i'm just thinking bro, it's part of the ring.

The dude can pick nits like no other

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

njsykora posted:

Dave's alarm clock for best new character.

Dave's got the alarm clock in the middle of the ring. Suddenly Dave's son appears with the smoke detector and confronts him in the ring. Almost immediately they're interrupted and out comes Dave's daughter with a half dozen stop watches. They jaw jack back and froth about who's going to win the contest for greatest distraction in WON history. Bryan sounds increasingly irritated on commentary.

Suddenly glass shatters. It's Dave's wife and bah gawd she's got a Beatles poster. It's a fatal four way with a Meltzer in every corner!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave Meltzer time cube

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

dave has been experiencing star hyperinflation since 2019, if only we had some way to put ratings on the blockchain to fix this issue

At the risk of :thejoke:, blockchain doesn't do poo poo about inflation, people just pretend it does because you can't actually buy poo poo with crypto so it doesn't get devalued by inflation, the dollar/pound/euro/yen does.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1461513958641192961

Who the gently caress is not voting for Okada, kick them out

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pylons posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1461513958641192961

Who the gently caress is not voting for Okada, kick them out

Strategic voting, mostly. Some voters will assume that Okada walks right in so they save their votes for people they want to keep on the ballot. This happens all the time with the baseball HOF.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm also guessing like Baseball hall voters you have some that probably don't think anyone should be unanimous for the hall or think Okada shouldn't have more votes than say Kobashi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If you don't vote for Okada you should be forbidden from ever watching or even THINKING about wrestling ever again. It's tough I know but them's the rules!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Voting for Johnny "the Bull" Stamboli

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Absolute A+ B&V show today. I'm dying laughing at the Von Wagner conversation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Strategic voting, mostly. Some voters will assume that Okada walks right in so they save their votes for people they want to keep on the ballot. This happens all the time with the baseball HOF.

It is absolutely not strategic voting and absolutely people with weird hang ups about current wrestling.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
lol at dave summing up wwe recruiting "they want ethnics"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

Absolute A+ B&V show today. I'm dying laughing at the Von Wagner conversation.

It's the little things. I still love it when Bryan's just listing stuff back-to-back-to-back that's annoying him about a given segment, and then: "this show SUCKS."

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

thank you random recommend youtube TNA B&V clip for reminding me of joker stings guard bird.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
BISCHOFF... SOLD FOR THE BIRD!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave gonna get lost having to start calling people by their non WWE names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Craig is a dumbass!