Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Liverpool having a pretty dubious definition of "actual" cheese

what would you call that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Karate Bastard posted:

Ghostbusters went about it all wrong didn't they. Typical defense contractor big spending.

Sort of. Regular vacuum bags don't hold ghosts very long after the vacuum's turned off, and ones made specifically for ghosts didn't filter dust well. So the Ghostbusters had better, professional equipment that wasn't necessarily available to laymen, and wasn't always necessary for every job, but was absolutely the best at doing what it was designed for. Kind of like exterminators as compared to traps and sprays you can buy at the store.

A vacuum is fine for mundane hauntings and, like, transfers of benevolent spirits, but for dangerous hauntings and possessions, you want pros with the right equipment.

e

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

People get bent out of shape when someone calls a Kraft single cheese. Really buying in to the propaganda from the cheese council.

SpacePig has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Nov 18, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

About 35¢ extra on any diner burger?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I would just like to point out that there is an actual kind of cheese called American cheese and it is not Kraft singles. It’s merely another, closely-related horrible abomination

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SpacePig posted:

People get bent out of shape when someone calls a Kraft single cheese. Really buying in to the propaganda from the cheese council.

Isn't it the cheese council who wants to prevent people from referring to Kraft singles as cheese? Aren't they the ones who would be bent out of shape?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Isn't it the cheese council who wants to prevent people from referring to Kraft singles as cheese? Aren't they the ones who would be bent out of shape?

yes, that's precisely what that post implies

are you working for the cheese council?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scratch Monkey posted:

I know they call it Canadian cheese in Canada.

We do?

Only Canadianism I know of related to cheese is how "Kraft Dinner" became a common synonym for macaroni & cheese since that was what they called their product and it was so dominant.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

yes, that's precisely what that post implies

are you working for the cheese council?

Hmm. I could just be stupid, there's that too

e: for some reason I read it as "people get bent out of shape over the terms 'process cheese food'" like a brick-wall comedian

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Nov 18, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A bookmark.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

I bet they call it British cheese in the UK. I know they call it Canadian cheese in Canada.

Shockingly, Britain is actually very good for cheese. Even the most gammony britisher still buys Cheddar, which is an actual real cheese and generally pretty good and is rightfully snobby about the plastic texture of American cheese. And once you move beyond that we somehow have more varieties of cheese than France. My local cheese shops have lines going out the door and into the street, demand for specialty cheeses is so strong. It's wild.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Cheese is actually one of the few places traditional British cuisine is good, yeah.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We take our cheese seriously. One man even built a rocket to harvest Moon Cheese, rather than wait for the shops to open.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bug Squash posted:

Even the most gammony britisher still buys Cheddar, which is an actual real cheese and generally pretty good and is rightfully snobby about the plastic texture of American cheese.

American cheese, even the individually wrapped slices kind, is also "an actual real cheese." It's not loving fictional. And if you think it has a "plastic texture" then you probably forgot to unwrap it before trying to eat it. Yes, I too prefer cheddar; that doesn't mean american cheese isn't "real."

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

zedprime posted:

A bookmark.

Not much book, what's mark with you?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Scratch Monkey posted:

I bet they call it British cheese in the UK. I know they call it Canadian cheese in Canada.

Lol, :canada: has decent cheese, it's just crazy overpriced. That's American cheese or maybe a kraft single if ya got that brand loyalty.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bug Squash posted:

Shockingly, Britain is actually very good for cheese. Even the most gammony britisher still buys Cheddar, which is an actual real cheese and generally pretty good and is rightfully snobby about the plastic texture of American cheese. And once you move beyond that we somehow have more varieties of cheese than France. My local cheese shops have lines going out the door and into the street, demand for specialty cheeses is so strong. It's wild.
Red Leicester 🤤

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You.might want to lookore carefully at the labels. A lot of it is actually a "cheese food product", which means made with at least some actual cheese, but mostly consists of sodium caseinate and other dairy derivatives. Especially the cheap individually wrapped stuff.

If you love the texture and glorious melting properties of American cheese, buy some sodium citrate. Nothing exotic about it, just citric acid with a sodium atom attached to get it polar. Heat some milk, add the citrate, and then add whatever real cheese you want. The citrate keeps the proteins from clumping and gives that smooth texture. Depending on how much cheese you add, you can make anything from a thin sauce to a sliceable block when cooled. I've done it with a nice aged Cheddar and it comes out amazing.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

DontMockMySmock posted:

American cheese, even the individually wrapped slices kind, is also "an actual real cheese." It's not loving fictional. And if you think it has a "plastic texture" then you probably forgot to unwrap it before trying to eat it. Yes, I too prefer cheddar; that doesn't mean american cheese isn't "real."

i always find it weird when you find people online who believe in the america conspiracy. like, there's somehow magically a whole extra country between canada and mexico that nobody has ever seen or been to but also just happens to rule the world. classic

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If the cheese is so good in England why are you using it as bookmarks?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Cheese is so good, that bad cheese is dirt cheap. Cheaper than bookmarks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, :canada: has decent cheese, it's just crazy overpriced. That's American cheese or maybe a kraft single if ya got that brand loyalty.

paying $49.99 for 400g of plain cheddar :canada:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MrUnderbridge posted:

You.might want to lookore carefully at the labels. A lot of it is actually a "cheese food product", which means made with at least some actual cheese, but mostly consists of sodium caseinate and other dairy derivatives. Especially the cheap individually wrapped stuff.

There is cheese-like crap you can buy but we all know the haters are not being that precise and are tarring all the singles with the same brush. You'll hear people say the word "processed" as if that means poisoned.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

DontMockMySmock posted:

American Cheese is real. It's even a "real" cheese. Kraft even sell it pre-sliced.

American Kraft Singles are real, but not a "real" cheese - they are a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product".

:ms:

thepopmonster has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Nov 18, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sally posted:

paying $49.99 for 400g of plain cheddar :canada:

Do you live in Nunavut? I've never even paid that much for beemster

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

MrUnderbridge posted:

If you love the texture and glorious melting properties of American cheese, buy some sodium citrate. Nothing exotic about it, just citric acid with a sodium atom attached to get it polar. Heat some milk, add the citrate, and then add whatever real cheese you want. The citrate keeps the proteins from clumping and gives that smooth texture. Depending on how much cheese you add, you can make anything from a thin sauce to a sliceable block when cooled. I've done it with a nice aged Cheddar and it comes out amazing.

Yeah, anything sold as actual "American cheese" is literally that only with a mild Cheddar or Colby as the base. "Processing" food most of the time is just stuff you'd happily do in your own kitchen or let a restaurant kitchen do for you, but people get real weird when it's on a shelf that way.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Cocaine Bear posted:

Oka is very nice because you can evacuate an entire building with it due to it smelling like some kind of disgusting medical emergency

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just chiming in to say Cooper is a very good sandwich and melting cheese. That is all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

thepopmonster posted:

American Cheese is real. It's even a "real" cheese. Kraft even sell it pre-sliced.

American Kraft Singles are real, but not a "real" cheese - they are a "Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product".

American cheese is pretty much the best cheese for hamburgers, and if you're a white American then there's a 99.9% chance every "queso" you've ever eaten was made with white American.

The confusion lies in that American cheese and those plastic Kraft singles are synonymous, when as demonstrated above they are very different.

Source: I'm the cheese council

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
cool cheese chat, check out this ho rear end giraffe

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Man, how'd humanity end up creating so many fermented victuals and libations

Must have been a lot of "Hey 𒀭𒊬𒂵𒉌 𒈗𒌷 you remember that milk we stored? You won't believe what happened. Let's try eating it"

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

drat tally OK!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Elfface posted:

We take our cheese seriously. One man even built a rocket to harvest Moon Cheese, rather than wait for the shops to open.

I watched a documentary about this fellow. A true hero :britain:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This plus the gerbil deepthroating it's water bottle spout are probably the videos I've laughed the hardest at

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
PYF Funny Pictures: Everybody's asking about hams. Well, now we're talking about cheese.

Someone start breadchat so we can get a sandwich going.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
ok I guess it's a hamster, but I'm not sure what the difference is

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Goon Boots posted:

Man, how'd humanity end up creating so many fermented victuals and libations

Must have been a lot of "Hey 𒀭𒊬𒂵𒉌 𒈗𒌷 you remember that milk we stored? You won't believe what happened. Let's try eating it"

More or less. "Mm, time for some delicious milk. Hey, what are these chunks? We may have something here... I know, let's dry and cure the poo poo out of them like we do for everything else."

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You finally found your mother’s spirit animal

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

thepopmonster posted:

First of all, it says it's cheese, right there next to the word "product." Second, I don't give a poo poo about arbitrary legal definitions - it's a loving cheese, it's real, stop being a loving elitist snob about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If that’s cheese, piss is water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mauser posted:

ok I guess it's a hamster, but I'm not sure what the difference is

Everybody's asking about hamsters. Well,