Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the suggestion was already accepted, but i'll just to second here that even though autohotkey is incredibly archaic and weird it is absolutely the tool for the job, and is able to do much much more than that besides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I used it to map a playstation controller’s analog stick to a slider in a crappy winforms GUI that was the only interface provided by a vendor of a swivelling camera mount. It worked great.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

thread, i have a new laptop running arch linux (that's not the problem shut up shut up) and the teetering pile of jank i installed doesn't support multitouch gestures. what is the best thing to throw on the pile so i can swipe to navigate forward/back in firefox, because those are the only gestures i really use

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
autohotkey is really good. i used to use it to hit 7 buttons in a weird loop for farming when i was playing mmos

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

thread, i have a new laptop running arch linux (that's not the problem shut up shut up) and the teetering pile of jank i installed doesn't support multitouch gestures. what is the best thing to throw on the pile so i can swipe to navigate forward/back in firefox, because those are the only gestures i really use

throw a macbook on the pile

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Jonny 290 posted:

autohotkey is really good. i used to use it to hit 7 buttons in a weird loop for farming when i was playing mmos

i've used it to automate fishing in torchlight and also used it to extract an entire database from an emulated as400 terminal into an excel spreadsheet. ahk is one of my favorite programs of all time!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"loops with delays" were banned on the particular server I was on for a while, but i built a script that would hit three buttons, wait 120 seconds until an ingame timer reset, and play windows_ding.wav . Admins said it was legal as i was the part making it 'loop' (i'd alt tab, hit the macro button and go back to shitposting)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my computer is making a periodic fading whining sound about every 15 seconds. i think it's coming from the power supply fan but it does this insidious thing where it stops literally every time i get close to it to check it out. it sounds kind of like it's resonating at some specific speed, or like it's constantly stopping and starting and making the hum as it accelerates.

is there a way to fix this without disassembling the PSU to put in a new fan, or is that my best bet?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

anyone have a dosbox config they like? it seems like i need to have opinions about things in order to choose a config and i really don't care enough to figure it out. I just want to c&p someone's upscaled config so i can confuse the poo poo out of my daughter with an old copy of Incredible Machine I found

edit nevermind i found this and its perfect: https://mattiasgustavsson.itch.io/dosbox-crt

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 30, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sagebrush posted:

my computer is making a periodic fading whining sound about every 15 seconds. i think it's coming from the power supply fan but it does this insidious thing where it stops literally every time i get close to it to check it out. it sounds kind of like it's resonating at some specific speed, or like it's constantly stopping and starting and making the hum as it accelerates.

is there a way to fix this without disassembling the PSU to put in a new fan, or is that my best bet?

it might be as simple as cleaning an extremely thick layer of dust off of everything.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Sagebrush posted:

well it involves disassembly but maybe a drop of oil in the fan bearings?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

what's a good oil for that? one of my cpu cooler fans gets a buzz at some speeds and always sorta has, figure it's worth a try to oil it before pulling and replacing

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Agile Vector posted:

what's a good oil for that? one of my cpu cooler fans gets a buzz at some speeds and always sorta has, figure it's worth a try to oil it before pulling and replacing

I've used a single drop or maybe two in dire situations of 3-in1. If you can safely direct it, ballistol can work but that would be hard unless you put it in a dropper bottle first.

I'm sure there's specialty oil for such purposes.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Is Calibre good at organizing data sheets and technical manuals? It looks like it prefers to store metadata in the database itself, whereas I’m more looking for a tool to edit metadata and rename/move documents into a sane directory structure, etc. Any other recommendations? All I have are PDFs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
steam oil

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

You might want to look at citation management systems. I think zotero and mendeley are the popular ones so i assume they're good.

Personally i just print out little half size booklets of any reference i think I'll use but plenty of grad students use computers.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i have a buddy who once had an issue with a network outlet in his house. turned out that it was just hosed up enough that his NIC would fail and report no connection when trying to negotiate up to 1gb, but would connect fine when he forced to it to a slower speed (can't remember if 100mb worked or if he had to slam it all the way down to 10mb)

try manually setting the pfsense nic to 10mb and see if it connects

right, well, turns out it is something like this. the nic that doesn't get link with auto does work fine if manually forced to 100baseTX. probably either an actual break in one of the wires, so much untwisted cable at one end that it falls out of the gigabit spec, or something like https://superuser.com/questions/644228/why-is-my-lan-not-gigabit

anyway it turns out that linux actually has a built-in cable test tool now, but it only works with a very small set of nics:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/11ca3c4261cdb4e2f33e32daf6447f8185843317
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/search?q=cable_test_start

long shot, but anyone know if there's a USB ethernet adapter that would happen to use one of those? doubtful, since it looks like the feature is mostly in server nics or fancy stuff for automotive systems. looks like the rpi people were trying to port support for their broadcom chip but without success https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=316679

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cool

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
when you say the ethernet is provided to your apartment, who is actually responsible for the cabling and the equipment on the other end of the cable? if it's not you, at this point you should just contact them and say "hey, my equipment is failing to connect, please send someone to fix it."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

it turns out it wasn't my psu at all, it was the stupid comcast cable modem in the corner behind it. i knew my own computer parts weren't going bad.

i'm tempted to just open it up and oil the fan and see what happens. or unplug the fan, let it burn itself out, and take it back and say it broke and maybe the next one will be quieter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what would jesus do

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

it turns out it wasn't my psu at all, it was the stupid comcast cable modem in the corner behind it. i knew my own computer parts weren't going bad.

i'm tempted to just open it up and oil the fan and see what happens. or unplug the fan, let it burn itself out, and take it back and say it broke and maybe the next one will be quieter

pretty sure you can just go to the comcast store, give the disinterested clerk the gear with "the fan is making a noise" and they will give you a new one

that said, why are you using their modem for like $10/mo instead of buying your own

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo what kind of cable modem needs a loving fan

lol

you gotta get up in the wee hours to throw a tiny shovel of coal in that thing?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Raluek posted:

pretty sure you can just go to the comcast store, give the disinterested clerk the gear with "the fan is making a noise" and they will give you a new one

that said, why are you using their modem for like $10/mo instead of buying your own

yeah, they have a rotating stack of refurbed units and will grab the next one from the shelf

that said, I just bought my parents a modem and router to get them out of the two year cycle of the company crappy modem router combo failing and having to waiting for a subcontractor to plug a "new" one in or going to the store and drive there to help them set it up. the latter was easier because the dude with a magnet sign and a van never set anything up really

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

Yeah you're probably right. I turned it over on its side and at least now it's just making a gentle wooshing instead of the infuriating mosquito noise. If it comes back I will get a new one.

As to why I have it: I do own my own cable modem, but as of the last time I dealt with them, they wanted to charge me more (5 bucks a month but still) to use it. I assume this is because their integrated modem-router thing produces one of those xfinitywifi networks and they're trying to encourage people to do that.

If you set the modem up using their phone app it will spew out that public network, but on the device's own administration page you can just disable all Wi-Fi entirely, so I do that and use my own router, and so far I haven't seen any Xfinity networks in my house.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Incidentally if any of you know how to spoof the hardware MAC address on a Netgear cable modem please do tell

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

everything about this question reflects poorly on me as a person and I'm ashamed to ask but i can NOT figure this out: how do i re-enable the audio panel that shows up under notifications on an Android phone?

Backstory: i used to use google's app to play mp3s off my phone's hdd, but then they disabled that functionality so i tried to open an mp3 and see what happened. It opened in some dumb os media player thing with no playlist functionality or anything and i was so pissed off about it i long-pressed and silenced its notification out of anger. It turns out that i silenced literally all of the audio player widgets and it looks like either nobody else has ever done this and changed their mind, or it is impossible for me to come up with the right phrase to google for.

It has persisted across a factory reset and reload, so it is probably in the settings somewhere i just can't find it

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Is it a mini player? Like has the play pause forward buttons?

You should be able to reset defaults for any app buuuuut what the hell is persisting thru a reset? Accessibility poo poo? Maybe set up a new user profile?

Is there a cache needs wiping?

I hope you like questions?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

down1nit posted:

Is it a mini player? Like has the play pause forward buttons?
yeah!

sorry, it is persisting through a reset and then loading my backup or whatever. So it is some configuration thing I did and not a bug.

but i think i just figured it out and i guess i misunderstood the problem from the get go. i just reenabled spotify notifications and that allowed the mini player to come back so i guess i also muted spotify at the same time? idk. phone oses are fucken weird and im too old to adapt to this poo poo.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Just post

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

it is all over the place. I think my graphics card just doesn't have the necessary space to render a whole 1440p screen. I get screen tearing on youtube and poo poo too

its a radeon r9 380 and it is 6 years old and wasn't even particularly good at the time of purchase

the screen tearing situation has gotten much worse. Is this something that could be caused by poor heat dissipation or voltage? this tower is pretty old and i'm wondering if replacing the fans and PSU might help.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

the screen tearing situation has gotten much worse. Is this something that could be caused by poor heat dissipation or voltage? this tower is pretty old and i'm wondering if replacing the fans and PSU might help.

I haven't had desktop screen tearing in a long rear end time, what os are you using?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh maybe thats it? the desktop in question is still running windows 7

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

when is the last time you cleaned the dust out of the heatsinks?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

probably never but maybe once like 5 years ago

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, hardware failure seems a pretty easy (but not very helpful) first guess, with the cpu/kernel spiking being caused by spurious interrupts from the failed chip

ok so I finally got around to fixing this. I had to swap in a new i/o board, which apparently is not an uncommon fault on that generation of MBAs. it was really easy and worked perfectly. I was gunshy to do minor work on a laptop but it was no problem at all. thanks yospos/ifixit

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Early+2017+I-O+Board+Replacement/135933

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
can you really not dump USB devices into a VM using Hyper-V? I was trying to do this on Win11 and didn’t realize it apparently is a hassle/can’t be done

Does Microsoft have a truce to not encroach on VMWare Workstation?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Let's do a detective thing.

So at 11pm two nights ago I lose all internet in the house.

Setup: cheap docsis 2 modem -> edgerouter lite -> netgear gs108 -> the other computers as well as my ubnt access point.

gently caress. reboot. nothing. no pings.

agggg my er lite died. it happens (when the flash storage wears out). i try a factory reset (this sucks as i had 10000 forward rules and dhcp assignments all set up). nothing.

panic.

ok poo poo look for routers online. they're all 2 weeks estimated ship. gently caress. i work from home this is no good

wait, i was a lazy rear end in a top hat and never sent back my stock xfinity modem router thing. plug that in, call xfinity. spend 30 minutes having the lady try to upsell me to the service i already have. they activate, i plug it into my desktop pc, i have internet. cool thanks lady.

ok we're safe. i plug the computer and the lan side of the xfinity router into the switch.

no internet. nothing. at this point i've reset the switch too so everything's lost its lease and i can't ping anything else either.

plug the computer back into the xfinity router direct. internet. plug it into the switch. no internet.

did i kill a dumb gs108?

thats weird. they last forever.

Unplug things one at a time.

wait. its working. when i unplug my Debian server's ethernet cable? what?

i rage power cycle it (this was stupid as i coulda turned its monitor on :haw: and investigated to see what happened. )

everything works fine now.

What the gently caress happened? The only thing I can think of is that some arp table poisoning happened somehow. I don't do any routing or vpn through the linux machine. it just hangs off the network and runs lovely VMs and my plex and stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
linux is toxic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a preview of a hbag post from 2027