Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

In Zeta Reticuli born and raised
buzzin' 'round earth was hanging out with the greys
Chillin' out probin' lights strobin' all cool
And all projecting good feelings at some kids in a school
When a couple of greys tried to make a big show
flying too wild out in New Mexico
they got in one little crash and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with Sandia to a secret mountain lair'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Edit: I dunno what happened. Pretend I empty quoted the kickin' rad aitee rap.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZceqzM231lU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Mesa Blorpbillies!

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I kinda wonder how well nukes would work to clear out orbital lanes in the event of Kessler syndrome.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Vernii posted:

I kinda wonder how well nukes would work to clear out orbital lanes in the event of Kessler syndrome.

you break satellite in two. You now have two satellite

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Vernii posted:

if we used them all on earth, we wouldn't have to even worry about kessler syndrome anymore

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think the poster is imagining that a nuke evaporates everything it touches instead of just making the pieces smaller

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fresh p'nti of bird lair

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I beamed down to the desert bout seven or eight and
Saw some guys in some lab coats and said “word up , I’m from Zeta”
Wow what a shithole, I’d traveled so far
Just to live in a cave with some dude named Lazar

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

If anything I could crash this craft in a bunker
But I thought "Nah, forget it, Lue, disclose it to Tucker!"

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think the poster is imagining that a nuke evaporates everything it touches instead of just making the pieces smaller

To be fair, it's how explosions worked in Worms

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

peanutty rap is canon now

also Lue is kicking around my neck of the woods, wonder what he's up to
https://twitter.com/LueElizondo/status/1461336544975867906?s=20

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rickshaw posted:

To be fair, it's how explosions worked in Worms

i dunno about all u nerds but i learned about explosions from Scorched Earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMzemVO2CH0

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That game was so drat awesome back in the day

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Azathoth posted:

That game was so drat awesome back in the day

used to murder scrub smurfs on kali.net a million years ago...makes me want to play it again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Congress is throwing $TEXAS at this now
https://twitter.com/ddeanjohnson/status/1461341149088604160?s=20

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

I didn't get a chance to braindump my thoughts on consciousness when that conversation was more prescient but gently caress it here goes:

Whatever consciousness "is", I find it interesting that psychedelic experiences undertaken as more of a spiritual endeavor (versus hehe funny colors) have left me with this profound feeling of connectedness to all things - almost a sort of quantum animism where nearly all matter "has" or interacts with the field of consciousness, but most things aren't complex enough to be aware of that fact (even if that sounds reductive I apologize to all inanimate objects struggling to self actualize).

Those themes from that NDE post a few pages back are familiar too. There's this distinct sensation that whatever "I" truly am, it is much older and larger than the temporal meat shuttle I currently reside within. Each time I have these "aha!" moments it's always accompanied by this warm familiarity of "...but you knew that, you just forgot."

Connecting to the larger mycelium network that entangles disparate dimensions or stupid monkey experiencing divine psychopathy as a way to attach a narrative to meaningless chemical interference, I don't know and I don't particularly care. It's a neat sensation all the same okay thanks for coming to my TED talk 🦜

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:emptyquote:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/blackvaultcom/status/1461395374074064899?t=1tZV3CnykXo6LinxM9ryVw&s=19

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the "extraterrestrials" in the report are just "what if the USSR takes over space and uses it to invade the USA". tremendous cold war fever dream energy

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

haha yes!! hell fuckin yeah!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

For anyone thinking "I don't want to read that" this is the loving abstract

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

What in the hell

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

What in the hell

Space war

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I read like half of it and it's just about space war with the soviets if the soviets take over mars/high orbit and what the USA needs to do to head them off so we don't end up with a dreaded space colony gap

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

skewetoo posted:

Space war

the few. the proud. the space marines

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Objurium posted:

Whatever consciousness "is", I find it interesting that psychedelic experiences undertaken as more of a spiritual endeavor (versus hehe funny colors) have left me with this profound feeling of connectedness to all things - almost a sort of quantum animism where nearly all matter "has" or interacts with the field of consciousness, but most things aren't complex enough to be aware of that fact (even if that sounds reductive I apologize to all inanimate objects struggling to self actualize).

Extremely same, except I think everything is consciousness. What does your mind look like from the outside? It looks like a brain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol what is this original clip from? Some kind of alien blooper reel or something?

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Objurium posted:

I didn't get a chance to braindump my thoughts on consciousness when that conversation was more prescient but gently caress it here goes:

you might enjoy this david graeber piece which speaks about this. i think about it all the time

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/whats-the-point-if-we-cant-have-fun

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

same

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

GWBBQ posted:

that's racist
woops I had no idea lmao

Azathoth posted:

As a bonafide 1/8th Irishman, I'll allow it.
thank u
whom amongst us

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Objurium posted:

Those themes from that NDE post a few pages back are familiar too. There's this distinct sensation that whatever "I" truly am, it is much older and larger than the temporal meat shuttle I currently reside within. Each time I have these "aha!" moments it's always accompanied by this warm familiarity of "...but you knew that, you just forgot."

Connecting to the larger mycelium network that entangles disparate dimensions or stupid monkey experiencing divine psychopathy as a way to attach a narrative to meaningless chemical interference, I don't know and I don't particularly care. It's a neat sensation all the same okay thanks for coming to my TED talk 🦜
Same, but my sensation was "dark" somehow. Instead of feeling unity, the impressions I got of life and consciousness were of a video game played on a tiny CRT. I don't think my ego liked it. It felt like it was an absurd conspiracy of people being put into bodies and forgetting for some reason but also there are all these little things around that let you catch a glimpse back past the fourth wall. This cosmology came across as a cruel prank somehow. All I could keep asking is why. Maybe I'm friends with those NDE pranksters from that post. Fuckin jerks

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

endocriminologist posted:

you break satellite in two. You now have two satellite

and you've just added a whole lotta delta-v.

I've seen EM nets proposed back in my R&D days. Basically a couple of satellites on each end of a long conductive net, as they orbit through the Earth's EM field it generates a current which could be used in addition to solar to power ion thrusters for station keeping.
https://www.space.com/12819-space-junk-cleanup-giant-net-tether.html

Another option is a big reflector sweeping out lanes and imparting small amounts of momentum from light to very slowly deorbit small junk, not terribly feasible and to work you need to focus the light for more momentum, and that creates fun disaster scenarios when it goes haywire and starts sweeping across continents.

The best solution is prevention, which at this point means going around to each satellite individually and tethering/light sailing it into a decaying orbit, at the cost of the taxpayer of course.

Really there are no good options right now, which makes blowing up satellites a really poo poo move.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
blowing poo poo up is totally badass though. i think that should be factored in

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Practice asteroid mining on all the satellites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
It'd be cool if the reason no regular Star Trek type aliens have visited us is that everyone eventually kesslers themselves and is stuck on their homeworld ...

until they achieve bird level technique