Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Medium suuuucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Medium suuuucks

idk man I think video games are pretty cool overall

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The Medium is a game that gives you a constant feeling that something can happen any moment now but then instead nothing happens.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lammasu posted:

So I tried The Medium on cloud and it was...weird. Kind of hard to explain but I got like these blocky patches and when transitioning viewpoints the screen would just kind of scroll? Like I said it's hard to describe.

Be sure to use the review functions for xcloud. I flagged good life when it wasn't working and they fixed it in like 3 days.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Lammasu posted:

So I tried The Medium on cloud and it was...weird. Kind of hard to explain but I got like these blocky patches and when transitioning viewpoints the screen would just kind of scroll? Like I said it's hard to describe.

Maybe it could artifacting from streaming. I played a couple of games on the Cloud and noticed artifacts in the quality of the stream, and I've got a wired connection for my Xbox.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have never installed and uninstalled a game faster than The Medium.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Could just be artifacting yeah, I had a weird effect when playing Banjo Nuts and Bolts where it would just scroll refresh the screen every minute or so but then it stopped doing that after a while. It's the only cloud game I've played so far that's had that kind of issue, though I'm only playing Xbox and 360 stuff over the cloud so far.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Laserface posted:

I have never installed and uninstalled a game faster than The Medium.

You missed the ending with the theme of abuse victims being unstable monsters that need to die.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Medium suuuucks

It starts out amazing and continues amazing for a while and then it just loving does a 720 moonsault into a pit of poo poo and bad decisions.

Can't remember the last time a game lost me that fast and that totally, but maybe if I'd played 12 Minutes I might?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Thinking about reinstalling Forgotten City just to hang out with my boys Galerius and Duli

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

didn’t median accomplish its Patented Two Worlds mechanic by just straight-up rendering the entire game twice, meaning it ran like garbage in basically any environment? lol

Phil please renew the license for JoJo HD thank you

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 18, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Halo Infinite multiplayer is really good. The only annoying thing is that I have to exit out the app completely when I'm done because if I don't I get this "multiplayer not available" message and it won't connect me to a match again next time I turn the system on. Anyone else have that issue?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Halo Infinite multiplayer is really good. The only annoying thing is that I have to exit out the app completely when I'm done because if I don't I get this "multiplayer not available" message and it won't connect me to a match again next time I turn the system on. Anyone else have that issue?

Quick Resume doesn't really work for online games. You always have to manually quit them or they stop working.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bf2042 works fine you just click reconnect

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, I figured that was the case. A minor annoyance. But overall it's been a smooth experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beggar posted:

Thinking about reinstalling Forgotten City just to hang out with my boys Galerius and Duli

:hai: my dudes

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

enojy posted:

Just make sure, if you're also upgrading a receiver, that it has HDMI 2.1 ports, or at the very least, supports HDMI passthrough up to your designation. I messed up and bought a receiver that had been on market for like 4 or 5 years, so it maxes out at 4k60 passthrough, while the TV supports 120Hz. I guess I could rewire things directly to the TV's HDMI 2.1 ports and rely on eARC, maybe? I don't feel like I'm missing anything at the moment, though. Very few games target 120FPS right now, and I don't play any of them.

My plan for now is to connect my XSX (and PS5) directly into the HDMI 2.1 ports of the new TV and then use the ARC port to send audio through to my older receiver - I believe this will work? I want to avoid using the TV’s speakers.

Next year I’ll look into getting a new receiver that does 4K and has HDMI 2.1, etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes, should work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Augus posted:

didn’t median accomplish its Patented Two Worlds mechanic by just straight-up rendering the entire game twice, meaning it ran like garbage in basically any environment? lol

Yes

Also the games opening writes a whole bunch of silent hill checks it skips town on immediately

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most charitable thing I can say about The Medium is that it doesn't really utilize its core concept in any interesting way. Imagine what could potentially be unique or interesting under the conceit of "psychic woman freely traverses between parallel realities" and I guarantee you've already thought of something way cooler than anything in The Medium.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Boar It posted:

For anyone curious about what my controller sounds like I uploaded a recording. (Spoke about it yesterday, how I might have a defective controller due to weird rumble noises that I am not sure about)

https://vocaroo.com/16RBJ8FLjpnh

It is quite low in volume since I didn't want to mess with the audio in any way. But it was recorded from about an arm's length away by my desktop microphone and is much more audible in person. (At least on my setup I can barely hear it at the volume that I normally use) It basically sounds like an old school fax machine while I'm skidding around on dirt in Forza. Got a new one coming in a few days, will be interesting to see. But I am worried that one is cursed as well since the price landed at exactly 666 in my local currency.

So I got the second (series) controller now, and it is just as loud, if not even louder. So either this is the norm or I keep manging to buy defective ones. The second one is from a different retailer too but alas it seems to be defective. At least everyone I ask who has Xbox One controllers say theirs are quiet. Like I said before if I wear headphones it is possible to ignore it but if I were to play with speakers it would be nigh impossible with all the rattling and screeching emanating from the controller. Real bummer too since the addition of trigger rumble is fantastic and I love it in Forza, makes braking so much easier. But I guess I'll just return these and hold off for now. :shrug:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 18, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can you not purchase a new series controller?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

kri kri posted:

Can you not purchase a new series controller?

They are both brand new series controllers. (I don't know anyone with a series controller as far as I know)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 18, 2021

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I see Death's Door is coming to PS4/Switch so I hope that means it's also making its way to gamepass. More importantly, I hope the entire concept of timed xbox timed exclusives that are NOT on gamepass goes away completely.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wasn't the medium the game that tried to make you empathise with a pedophile

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wasn't the medium the game that tried to make you empathise with a pedophile

I think it was a pedophile holocaust survivor but I uninstalled fairly quickly

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My memory is that the game wants you to empathize with a traumatized person who lost someone in the holocaust and then kill them because it turns out they are a pedophile. I'd have to play it again, which, lol, but my memory is that the game is largely and very clumsily saying that people can both be victims of trauma and also monsters and the former does not excuse the latter.

IMO when actually playing the game, rather than reading 3rd hand accounts, the weight of the play experience is pretty tilted towards "gently caress this guy" and when you find out the back story it's a big "whatever, this guy can eat poo poo". There are a lot better reasons to dislike the game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Zachack posted:

My memory is that the game wants you to empathize with a traumatized person who lost someone in the holocaust and then kill them because it turns out they are a pedophile. I'd have to play it again, which, lol, but my memory is that the game is largely and very clumsily saying that people can both be victims of trauma and also monsters and the former does not excuse the latter.

IMO when actually playing the game, rather than reading 3rd hand accounts, the weight of the play experience is pretty tilted towards "gently caress this guy" and when you find out the back story it's a big "whatever, this guy can eat poo poo". There are a lot better reasons to dislike the game.

Clumsy is the way to describe it, I think. I really appreciated that game's aesthetic (cribbed hard as it may have been) and general feel, and I said as much a whiiile ago in this thread. But when rubber meets road and they start filling in what's going on, they handle a lot of extremely delicate poo poo with basically no grace and the whole thing suffers for it.

I'd want those folks to handle the next Silent Hill, but I'd want someone else to write it for them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn't want them near a silent hill, I think their tech is absolutely poo poo as well tbh

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Quick Resume doesn't really work for online games. You always have to manually quit them or they stop working.

Halo seems to be the only game that can recover from hibernation for me. Any other game with an online component needs me to force quit and restart the game but halo can reestablish the online component fine.

It really should be a toggle in the games settings (or system settings for a system wide change) whether you want to enable quick resume or not.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hitman works well enough with quick resume but that's a different kind of "constant online" connection.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

My fairly old HDMI receiver can't support 2.1 so I am connecting each console's HDMI to TV and then routing optical back out of the TV.

Is there any downside to this as opposed to using HDMI? Other than obviously losing the ability of the receiver to serve as a HDMI hub.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Been playing do muck Oblivion, good god. A console that can play Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim at 60fps… I must be dreaming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

My fairly old HDMI receiver can't support 2.1 so I am connecting each console's HDMI to TV and then routing optical back out of the TV.

Is there any downside to this as opposed to using HDMI? Other than obviously losing the ability of the receiver to serve as a HDMI hub.

I don’t think you can do certain higher-end uncompressed 5.1 audio formats over optical.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The future is now

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I didn't know anyone other than my in-laws that can't seem to figure out what hdmi-arc is used optical audio on a tv.
you are limited to old dolby digital 5.1 with it, not even dd+

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MGS 2 & 3 HD pack is $4.99

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/metal-gear-solid-hd-edition-2-3/bwx1kn6k55q1

It wasn’t even ever delisted.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Escape Goat posted:

Do your receiver and TV support ARC? It's also a fairly old standard at this point, so you may be able to use that to get audio to your receiver over HDMI (if supported.)

Edit: I read more into ARC and it too has bandwidth limitations to the point of splitting hairs between that or optical, so I'd just stick with the optical!

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I think ARC has similar limitations as optical, what stopped me from using it is it can't handle uncompressed 5.1 channel audio. eARC is what you want for that, and I really wish I had known that when I bought my current AVR.