Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Rime posted:

Pumps survived, now 100-500 RV's are on fire.

https://twitter.com/AndreaWoo/status/1461017982188986371

lol this is 100% insurance fraud like their insurance doesn't cover water damage but does fire

edit: oh I missed a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I mean, it could also just be someone who really enjoys irony and isn't above a bit of arson

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

T.C. posted:

I mean, it could also just be someone who really enjoys irony and isn't above a bit of arson

Don't dox me

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

T.C. posted:

Wouldn't be shocked if there were pipeline breaches somewhere, but I don't think this is one for the original Trans Mountain line. The pipeline's the red line iI sketched into the picture. It's not between the two legs of the highway or even beside the highway. It's on the other side of the river past a road and some other stuff. You'd have to have lost an entire hillside on that side for it to end up in a river, and it'd be inside of a slide. You can see that side of the river in one of the videos and it' doesn't look like there's a problem over there.

There are other pipes in that area, and I also have no idea where the new unoperational pipeline is in that area, but I'm pretty confident that isn't the original trans mountain pipeline sitting in the river.

This is correct, I spoke to a few people this afternoon and they think it's the Enbridge 30" Natural Gas pipeline which is now in the river in the videos.

There's suspected damage to TM somewhere which is being investigated, and its still offline, but it's not here.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Socko posted:

Are there any plants that are lawn-like, but with deeper roots? Wooly thyme is my go-to, but its root depth isn't really much different from lawn grasses. It doesn't need to be mowed, and it's more drought tolerant than grass. It's not as sturdy as grass in terms of foot traffic, but it works fine for light use.

Ever look into buffalograss?

https://www.stockseed.com/Shop/buffalograsses

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Don Cheadle Captain Planet is the hero we need and deserve.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YL97QjGEx6s

Just a Moron has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Nov 18, 2021

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/kentindell/status/1461100613140467721

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

loving lol

Mameluke posted:

as a canadian i think i hate our demon kkkracker nation more than yours

yours has a modicum of self-awareness at least

yeah, same

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

aaron’s gonna laugh when the next series of heatdomes flash fry everyone in their homes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyJwmaykObA

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

take_it_slow posted:

This! Look up “direct drive” or “daylight drive” solar. Doxxing myself a bit here, but the farm I’m living on (still not a cult) is extensively employing this tech. We have a dc well pump that pulls water up 250 ft, moves it 1/4 mile to the house, and pressurizes our tanks to 60+ psi, at 10 gpm, on 180 volts of solar.
Edit: it’s a gruñidos sqflex; it’s been going strong for five years now. Obviously, there are a lot of different pumps depending on your specific situation, but I just want to emphasize that this is way more important and worth investing in than a battery system, and will work just fine without one. PM me if you’ve got any questions.

pump water up while the sun’s out, let it come downhill to run wheels/turbines

if you have the topography, gravity makes a hella sick battery and water is heavy af

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanks for the plant suggestions, everyone!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
some towns in bc were already running low on food and had to have food airlifted in

this is going to be the biggest disaster that's ever hit canada and literally nobody mentioned it yesterday in the office

toronto truly is the centre of the universe lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hot house tomatoes? get out, I got poop house maters

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I end up with tomatoes growing everywhere in my garden because my chickens love eating tomatoes as treats during summer, then I use their poop as compost. Somehow the composting process doesn't kill all the seeds so I end up with random poop tomatoes too.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Okay looked at some data regarding emissions from car fires and lmao yeah having these burn down is tbh a humungous gift. Each of those would have produced at least 10x the emissions of this burn in just several years of driving around

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
lmao

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

quote:

'Poomatoes' found growing wild in British bay

So much raw sewage is pouring into the sea near holiday beaches on the Kent coast that hundreds of ‘poop’ tomatoes are growing on the shoreline and from seeds in the human excrement, say appalled residents.

They have reported the sight of ripe tomatoes at Pegwell Bay in Kent, along a stretch which has been the centre of a pollution uproar.

Local wildlife enthusiast Nik Mitchell, who runs the Wildlife Conservation in Thanet page on Facebook, said “In recent years I have found lots of the evidence of raw sewage going into our rivers and seas, normally things like floss harps, plasters, applicators and earbuds.

“But poop tomatoes is a new one to me.

“The human body tends not to digest tomatoes and they are a large part of our diet.

“So as the untreated sewage hits our waters the seeds have been washing up along the coastline all around Thanet but it is only in Pegwell Bay where there are fertile conditions and they are able to grow.

“I am very in touch with Pegwell Bay and this is the first time I have noticed hundreds of tomato plants growing. They are great for snacking on whilst doing my litter picks!

“When talking about the sewage spillages I like to point out to people that it’s not just our seas being polluted it is our rivers too and it’s not just raw sewage it is heavily polluted road runoff too.”

<p>The tomatoes are a new phenomenon, but DEFRA says its more likely to be birds spreading seeds</p>
The tomatoes are a new phenomenon, but DEFRA says its more likely to be birds spreading seeds

(Wildlife Conservation in Thanet )
MPs were slammed last month for voting through measures that will let water companies continue to pump sewage into our rivers which flow out to the sea.

In Pegwell Bay, there’s no rush to pick and eat the beach crop - disgusted residents have described them as ‘poop tomatoes’.

Washed into the sea from the sewage system linked to toilets, the tomato seeds have drifted to the shore and are sprouting.

Alice Toney, 31, a mum-of-two living two miles from Pegwell Bay, said "We went down there at the weekend for a stroll because the weather was good, and we were amazed to see tomatoes basically growing on the beach.

"I’d heard about it from some other local residents but I didn’t believe it - until I saw it with my own eyes.

"It’s worrying to think there are tomatoes growing there because they come from tomato pips in people’s poo and they are being fertilised by the human sewage going into the sea.

"What other damage must it be doing to the environment? It’s terrible and something should be done about it.

"I’m not keen to let my little ones run along the beach there if it is as polluted as this."

Earlier this year Southern Water was fined a record £90 million for deliberately pumping 16 to 21 billion litres of sewage into the sea between 2010 and 2015.

In August sewage went into the sea after Margate pumping station was struck by lightning and swimmers were subsequently advised not to enter the water.

Now hundreds of tomatoes growing on the coastline at Pegwell Bay six miles round the coast from Margate have been blamed by locals on the sewer outfalls into the sea.

Louise Marsh, from the Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland, which records sightings of plants including tomatoes in the wild, said "We find that tomatoes can grow wild anywhere that their seeds drop into nutrient-rich soil and have a chance to grow without being cut down.

"So they might germinate in picnic areas, near treated wastewater and in urban areas, near to bins and waste.

"But picnic areas often get mowers going over them, so you’ll find more tomato plants near sewage treatment areas because there aren’t as many people going there."

Rebecca Duncan, from The Rivers Trust charity, said "Tomato seeds aren’t broken down in the gut so tomatoes grow in sludge that is filtered out at sewage treatment works and therefore would also grow where untreated sewage washes up on the shoreline.

"The tomatoes in the video are growing along what looks like a storm beach. Things get deposited there during storm conditions when the waves reach up there.

"Then, because where they are deposited doesn’t get submerged very often, they can actually survive there too for a while they might also be more salt tolerant."

MPs voted against amending a bill to stop water companies dumping raw sewage into Britain’s rivers

A spokesperson at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) said: “There is no evidence that the tomato plants are associated with sewage discharges and the more plausible answer is that it is from sea birds feeding on nearby waste at landfill sites.

Britain’s sewer system, which is still largely Victorian, becomes unable to cope when there is too much rainwater, causing sewage works to become overwhelmed.

It is under these circumstances that water companies are permitted to release rainwater, and a smaller amount of untreated sewage, directly into rivers and the sea, to stop waste backing up in streets and homes.

But environmentalists say better infrastructure, like storage tanks at treatment works, or nature-based solutions like tree-planting, could better tackle the problem, which has become excessive.

Figures show more than 400,000 sewage ‘overflows’ took place into English waters last year, lasting a total of 3.1 million hours, compared to 293,000 in 2019.

Southern Water, who are permitted to pump treated sewage out to sea, said "Tomatoes evolved to spread by being eaten by birds and animals and the very resilient seeds not only survive passage through digestive systems but the through wastewater treatment processes.

"Tomatoes have been spotted near outfalls around the country for many years and are now self-seeding - many generations have sprung up fruited and then regrown from the seeds."

Environmental campaigners last month said it ‘beggars belief’ that MPs voted against amending a bill to stop water companies dumping raw sewage into Britain’s rivers amid concerns for swimmers on coasts.

here's that article. gently caress paywalls, i swear to loving gently caress.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
if i were a flooded agricultural area that supplies food to millions of people, i would simply find substitutes by growing my food elsewhere, such as poomatoes

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:34 on Nov 18, 2021

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/ReutersScience/status/1461037373161193480
the future is now and it is jetski cowboys

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Yes! Now this is the kinda poo poo I'm staying alive for

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Cold on a Cob posted:

some towns in bc were already running low on food and had to have food airlifted in

this is going to be the biggest disaster that's ever hit canada and literally nobody mentioned it yesterday in the office

toronto truly is the centre of the universe lmao

Good morning, thread. I left the coast for the interior two weeks ago to take care of two elderly parents, one in palliative care with pancreatic cancer and the other at level 3 or 4 of the 7 level dementia scale. For some reason my world has been extremely narrow since, I've been off line except for family text and email and the only news I've seen was a Fox News show one night. Fox News is right up there with Services Canada/Canadian Border Services/Revenue Canada scammers for preying on dementia patients.

Haven't heard yet if anything substantive came out of COP26 during its last few days. :rubby:

Two days ago I got some worried emails and texts from family concerned that I was now cut off. I knew things were wet on the coast but imagine my surprise when I opened the CBC website and was greeted with a wall of text and pictures of water, mud, and rocks where they shouldn't be. Joined the locust swarm at the nearest grocery store at 08:00 the next morning to make sure Dad has milk for his cornflakes. Too late. It's probably inappropriate to be wandering around the store giggling behind my mask at the empty shelves.

This area bills itself as "Canada's Only Desert". I'm a little fuzzy about how deserts work so I'm sure raining every night (sometimes heavily) is normal. Some the the fields are turning a bright emerald green and some bush is flowering up near the tops of the mountains around us. The rattlesnakes are probably getting moldy. When the storm came through it ripped up some of the candlebushes and turned them into tumbleweeds. Very cool but I do not want to get hit by one of those spiky bastards.

Sign on of the highway exits: "Osoyoos: Canada"s Warmest Town". lol, nah, that record is held by Lytton and they have the ashes to prove it.

If you pass someone on the sidewalk mumbling to themselves and giggling it's either a homeless person or someone who's been working with climate related data for the last few years. You can tell the difference - like feral and house cats the scientist looks better cared for. Either will appreciate a coffee and the scientist probably will accept a scritch behind the ears without biting.

Anyway, I'm off to make fruit salad and dispense opioids. Having a normal one.

And thanks for the thread title. :perfect:

fake edit: Cowboys on jetskis! I'm dying here!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

not yet

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:sickos:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

This is how the future survives.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

just casually learned that the Western monarch butterfly population has declined an estimated 99% since the 1980s

gonna plant some milkweed about it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
holy poo poo that thread title

that all sounds tough and i hope you get through it ok

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alobar posted:

disgusted residents have described them as ‘poop tomatoes’.

lmfao imagine if they knew

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I feel bad for the cows :ohdear:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Death to America encompasses Canada as well

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hot house tomatoes? get out, I got poop house maters

“Out House Tomatoes” was right there!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
A friend is wanting to get his feet wet and is asking for a book on climate science particularly. He will also accept studies: "any little nick in the mass of information through which I may be favorable guide is a start". Any help is much appreciated, I've had my head in this thing for ~15 years so I don't know where to begin to start.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A video of someone who survived one of the landslides in BC
https://twitter.com/globalbc/status/1461108250896740361?s=21

Perry Mason Jar posted:

A friend is wanting to get his feet wet and is asking for a book on climate science particularly. He will also accept studies: "any little nick in the mass of information through which I may be favorable guide is a start". Any help is much appreciated, I've had my head in this thing for ~15 years so I don't know where to begin to start.

The Uninhabitable Earth is outdated but appropriate in tone.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hexigrammus posted:

Good morning, thread. I left the coast for the interior two weeks ago to take care of two elderly parents, one in palliative care with pancreatic cancer and the other at level 3 or 4 of the 7 level dementia scale. For some reason my world has been extremely narrow since, I've been off line except for family text and email and the only news I've seen was a Fox News show one night. Fox News is right up there with Services Canada/Canadian Border Services/Revenue Canada scammers for preying on dementia patients.

Haven't heard yet if anything substantive came out of COP26 during its last few days. :rubby:

Two days ago I got some worried emails and texts from family concerned that I was now cut off. I knew things were wet on the coast but imagine my surprise when I opened the CBC website and was greeted with a wall of text and pictures of water, mud, and rocks where they shouldn't be. Joined the locust swarm at the nearest grocery store at 08:00 the next morning to make sure Dad has milk for his cornflakes. Too late. It's probably inappropriate to be wandering around the store giggling behind my mask at the empty shelves.

This area bills itself as "Canada's Only Desert". I'm a little fuzzy about how deserts work so I'm sure raining every night (sometimes heavily) is normal. Some the the fields are turning a bright emerald green and some bush is flowering up near the tops of the mountains around us. The rattlesnakes are probably getting moldy. When the storm came through it ripped up some of the candlebushes and turned them into tumbleweeds. Very cool but I do not want to get hit by one of those spiky bastards.

Sign on of the highway exits: "Osoyoos: Canada"s Warmest Town". lol, nah, that record is held by Lytton and they have the ashes to prove it.

If you pass someone on the sidewalk mumbling to themselves and giggling it's either a homeless person or someone who's been working with climate related data for the last few years. You can tell the difference - like feral and house cats the scientist looks better cared for. Either will appreciate a coffee and the scientist probably will accept a scritch behind the ears without biting.

Anyway, I'm off to make fruit salad and dispense opioids. Having a normal one.

And thanks for the thread title. :perfect:

fake edit: Cowboys on jetskis! I'm dying here!

this was a beautiful post and I feel enriched for having read it, thank you and good luck

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

tuyop posted:

The Uninhabitable Earth is outdated but appropriate in tone.

goddamn that's pretty intense

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

tuyop posted:

fuuuuuck

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Biosphere, hell, the whole drat lithosphere is collapsing

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is he looking for a textbook or pop science book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'd take a textbook recommendation regardless of what that other guy's having