Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m probably most easily reached through Air Goons discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The cockpits definitely feel cramped in VR. Since I'm a sim-only admirer of planes, I have no idea how the VR scale compares to real life, but I imagine most GA plane cockpits are much smaller than they typically appear on 2D screens.

It's basically a portapotty that 2 people fit into side by side. It's not for the claustrophobic.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Any goon that comes to Charleston will be provided a Diamond 20 or Diamond 40 ride, courtesy by me. Spare Bose A20 headset provided as complimentary service. The -20 is tight as all loving poo poo. We will be side-spooning.

Bonus is that we can take off between C-17s and Hornets.

Holy poo poo this sounds awesome I wonder if-

quote:

Hasty edit: Offer void for goons over 235lbs or maybe a bit more if fuel is dumped

Nah I guess Charleston is kind of far away from me for something like that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Holy poo poo this sounds awesome I wonder if-

Nah I guess Charleston is kind of far away from me for something like that.

:(:hf::(

We also exceed the seat loading in an R-22.

:(

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

:(:hf::(

We also exceed the seat loading in an R-22.

:(

Hey, New Years resolutions are right around the corner. Maybe I’ll start doing my stationary bike whenever I hit cruise in a tube liner.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
On my last day at uni some of us car dorks tried to hop into the aerospace dept's Harrier that we were extremely not allowed to touch.

I'm tall and all legs, so by the time my feet were on the pedals my shins were hard against the underside of the panel and my butt was still halfway up the seat with the headrest in my back.

I had already come to terms with not fitting in our formula student car, but not fitting in the cool airplane was an extra bummer :(

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Which aerospace dept has a Harrier lying around?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

guidoanselmi posted:

Which aerospace dept has a Harrier lying around?

I’d imagine a ton of them got sent to MX schools. Be a great way to teach pneumatics.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I don't understand, did your schools not have old Harriers kicking about the place? :confused:

I actually have no idea how it ended up there. Some googling shows it's a T4, tail no. XW270 but I can't find any history beyond RAF > ? > Cranfield > Coventry Uni.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

jammyozzy posted:

Coventry Uni.

Well I'll be: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/study-at-coventry/undergraduate-study/undergraduate-subjects/aerospace-engineering-and-aviation/

jammyozzy posted:

I don't understand, did your schools not have old Harriers kicking about the place? :confused:

My aerospace dept didn't have any planes. We tried building a spacecraft that no one wanted to launch :(

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

Coventry Uni.

My sincerest sympathies, fellow coventrian (for uni, like, 14 years ago or something, and then never went back)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are the weather changes out yet? what exactly are the weather changes?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I can't copy and paste from this view but was just reading them, so

Big patch, yay!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 18, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I read a early review that says weather transitions out of metars are jarring now. Like fog disappearing instantly. That sounds a whole like how xplane and activesky etc have done it for years now. Sure hope it’s not as bad as it is in xplane.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Sounds like how FS2000 used to be with the old Squawkbox program for vatsim. Hope it isn't that bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, if you want an L-39 with a recognizable Western-style cockpit you're not going to be satisfied with the base version of the DLC, just so you know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

So, if you want an L-39 with a recognizable Western-style cockpit you're not going to be satisfied with the base version of the DLC, just so you know.

Is the one that comes with the base version a recognizable, accurate Russian-style cockpit? Or does it just suck

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Any measurable difference switching between DX12 and DX12?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

Is the one that comes with the base version a recognizable, accurate Russian-style cockpit? Or does it just suck

It seems fine to me, just really confusing because you get m/s vertical speed and km/h airspeed and the AH is very odd, but you could theoretically get used to it I guess.

But if you want the ones with upgraded G5s, yeah, you need to get either the specific plane you want or the full package.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We have to buy the new planes and the air races stuff right?

Not sure how I feel about that but eh, I wasn't going to do air races anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

It seems fine to me, just really confusing because you get m/s vertical speed and km/h airspeed and the AH is very odd, but you could theoretically get used to it I guess.

I've been flying the MiG-21 in DCS for years so I have no problem with this :madmax:

And I don't use any sissy english cockpit label mods either

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

skooma512 posted:

We have to buy the new planes and the air races stuff right?

Not sure how I feel about that but eh, I wasn't going to do air races anyway.

I believe the new planes are free (Hornet, PC-6, Cub/Pitts variants, quadcopter thing)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Animal posted:

Any measurable difference switching between DX12 and DX12?

Apparently the FBW A320 doesn't work with DX12.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I bought the full package of air race poo poo because I'm a large dumb.

I literally can't take off in the P51s. It runs and then immediately loses power maybe 20 ft off the ground.

Okay sure I'm a dipshit, so I open the checklist and have the AI help me set prop RPM, throttle and try again but it literally does the same thing.

Edit: Hmm.. the North American Aviation P-51D mustang doesn't have this problem, but the Miss America version I tried first does?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 18, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you turn on the fuel selector

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I'm looking into flying gliders IRL next year. Would be nice if MS actually made some for 2020 like older MSFSs

e: guess this is a free 3rd party: https://flightsim.to/file/15090/as-33-me

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 19, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm trying out the new planes in this patch. lmao at the engine page on the octodecicopter:

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

PT6A posted:

But if you want the ones with upgraded G5s, yeah, you need to get either the specific plane you want or the full package.

Slapping a soulless Garmin on an authentic military trainer just seems so disgusting.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

plester1 posted:

I believe the new planes are free (Hornet, PC-6, Cub/Pitts variants, quadcopter thing)

There are free new planes, but the P-51, T-6, and L-39 are only in the paid DLC. $20 gets you the stock versions of those planes plus the ability to do the air races. $60 gets you that stuff and also 10 real-world variants of each (and 10 pitts variants). The variants are just skins when in the air races' quick match mode, but outside of that they have minor performance or aerodynamic differences based on the customizations made to each plane irl.

$20 for a pack of three new planes on its own ain't bad though. $40 more for the rest seems kinda iffy to me personally, but maybe it's good for people who are really into this stuff. The variants are $10 on their own which is kind of lol, but MS said it's so they don't poo poo all over the third parties who can't compete on value. But you can buy an upgrade to the full collection for $40 minus whatever you've already spent on individual planes, so MS is kiiind of already making GBS threads on third parties anyway lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the 40 dollars just gets slightly different versions of what's in the 20 dollar thing?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

So the 40 dollars just gets slightly different versions of what's in the 20 dollar thing?

Basically, yeah.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol they made the afterburner so loooong

the effect from behind looks pretty good at night though

Also, afterburner was unbound in controls for me, had to assign it a button which unlocks the last 20% of the throttle range

my first reaction this plane is.. well this is kind of a joke in many ways after the DCS F-18.. but hey it's still kinda cool

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 19, 2021

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

I'm looking into flying gliders IRL next year. Would be nice if MS actually made some for 2020 like older MSFSs

e: guess this is a free 3rd party: https://flightsim.to/file/15090/as-33-me
They are coming next year.

quote:

A popular aircraft type, gliders, was also brought up in the stream. Whilst the development team have listed it as a Q3 2022 release, it was confirmed that a new partner, FlightSim Studio AG would be working on bringing gliders to the simulator. Work has just started, but the team has acquired talent from Aerosoft and others to help create the best gliders in the simulator.

https://fselite.net/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-live-developer-qa-nov-17th-recap/

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

my first reaction this plane is.. well this is kind of a joke in many ways after the DCS F-18.. but hey it's still kinda cool

In terms of system depth or the flight model?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A pretty large number of cockpit elements can't be interacted with, but that's to be expected in a free military jet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FunOne posted:

In terms of system depth or the flight model?

The flight model seems fine from the little bit I've played with it so far. It is a fly-by-wire plane, after all. Flies like a fly-by-wire jet. It can break Mach 1 without much trouble as long as you aren't right down at sea level. It does make a sonic boom when you fly by, but since there's no flyby camera, there's no good way to hear it!

The system depth is nothing compared to the DCS F/A-18, since no combat systems are modeled. On the MFDs you have the HUD repeater, HSI, attitude indicator, some system pages, and that's about it. No radar or SMS or whatnot. The softkeys are there, but when you click them it just says "not implemented." The MFCD map works more or less, but the waypoint feature doesn't. INS does not need to be aligned on startup. Basic systems like engines are modeled correctly, so I was able to just hop in and use the same sequence I do in DCS (minus setting up weapons and aligning INS) and get going quickly.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
That's a better review than I expected honestly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Right, but relative to my earlier comment... it's not entirely cosmetic. I've only played around with the L-39s so far, but you absolutely get different cockpits based on what's installed in the specific aircraft they're modelling.

The base model of the L-39 is steam gauges (and very Eastern Bloc; an alternate form of the AH, m/s vertical speed, km/h ASI), then various other version (apart from slight performance differences) have either standard western gauges installed, or full glass, or a mixture of both. Each variant is bespoke, and I think there's an argument that no one really needs to give a poo poo about that... but you can if you want. (FYI: the Robin 1 variant is my preference, the AH gets replaced with a G5, the HSI thing gets replaced with the secondary G5, the VSI goes to FPM instead of m/s, but you still get the km/h ASI and such)

I don't know how much a difference it makes in the T-6 or P-51 because I haven't tried them yet, but I assume there's a similar mix of things you can have if you like.

Likewise, the new PC-6 has a few variants. I haven't checked the ski or amphib versions, but of the ones with wheels: the variant with the most liveries is glass, the other one is traditional gauges.

Honestly, it's all nerd poo poo, but I like having the option personally and even though I didn't initially plan to get the "complete" version I'm glad I did.

Also, the L-39 is fun as gently caress regardless of which one you fly and which cockpit it has and you should at the very least buy the base version because it's awesome. And, sue me, I like the upgraded cockpits because I'm already familiar with the instruments and it's more fun that way.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Honestly that’s cool. I would have figured the generic Garmin panel would be the basic pack and you had to pay to get the custom Eastern-bloc cockpit. Does the basic pack P-51 have the WW-2 era instruments too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Honestly that’s cool. I would have figured the generic Garmin panel would be the basic pack and you had to pay to get the custom Eastern-bloc cockpit. Does the basic pack P-51 have the WW-2 era instruments too?

I'm not sure, but I'll go check.

EDIT: The default P-51 is very rustic/authentic looking and also nearly impossible to fly even with rudder pedals and VR. Best of british luck to you if you manage to keep that fucker on the runway during the takeoff roll. It will also spin very enthusiastically if you should stall it in flight (probably realistic) so that's a fun bonus! I'm far from an expert on what it "should" look like, but it seems reasonable to me to say it's mostly accurate.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 19, 2021