Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

does anyone have that site with all the FF4 background stuff that didn't make it into the game

the world is extremely fleshed out, it's just that there was nowhere near enough room in the script to include it all

like, Mysidia is the home of a great conflict where people abused the power of light and dark in their magicks and all of their strongest stuff was sealed away after a cataclysm stemming from their unchecked power. where is that in the game?

It’s hidden behind an urn so nobody can ever reach it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The only thing that slightly irritates me replaying TZA is it's kind of a hassle to play with a guide open, but I feel like I have to, because XII has so many loving sidequests that require you to talk to some random NPC two towns ago that you've forgotten about, like the Ktjn sidequest. Yeah the rewards aren't usually anything super amazing or anything, but they're useful, and I don't want to miss out.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

grieving for Gandalf posted:

does anyone have that site with all the FF4 background stuff that didn't make it into the game

the world is extremely fleshed out, it's just that there was nowhere near enough room in the script to include it all

like, Mysidia is the home of a great conflict where people abused the power of light and dark in their magicks and all of their strongest stuff was sealed away after a cataclysm stemming from their unchecked power. where is that in the game?

And also had a population of like 100 people haha. I've read that before and it's neat info but the population counts are very odd.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

I bet things would've gone different in FF7 if Aeris had a gun.
Not like there are limits to the amount of weapons you can get unless it was 100. Grenades and other attack items are sold in stores. Shinra doesn't even care about the armed populace enough to do anything about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

HD DAD posted:

It’s amusing that even Balthier is confused as who the main character is.

Balthier is the main character of a different story.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bruceski posted:

:hmmyes:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Like with Tactics and Vagrant Story, FF12 is telling an intimate story while there's this big Grand Scale thing going on alongside it. I think you could still get that if Ashe was the viewpoint character as well as the main protagonist, but it's not quite the same story. Like, Ashe's story is one of a less powerful kingdom caught between two empires and she's trying to protect it when others only see it as a pawn, or the gameboard at best, and has her own personal pain influencing her decisions. Vaan's story takes that a step further down to the people in the kingdom and even Ashe isn't operating at their level until the end of the Lighthouse, when she understands that the Fantasy Nukes truly aren't worth the cost. You would still get her rejection of vengeance/power if the story were entirely her own, but it would lose something without Vaan there having gone through the same thing with much lower stakes at the beginning of the story, and for that part to resonate he had to be the viewpoint level at which things started off.

It's easy to lose track given the game's willingness to let you get distracted, but Vaan starts off obsessed with revenge, forgives Basch before you even get out of the mines, and has gone all the way through to self-understanding by the time you leave Jahara. He gets a full arc with personal stakes (kidnapped Penelo) and denoument (brother's "ghost" and eventual rejection of that lie) in the first... call it quarter to third of the game. And as that wanes Ashe's picks up to repeat the whole arc on a larger scale/stakes.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
https://youtu.be/oORNagSrlNs

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Bruceski posted:

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings only for the Nintendo DS!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
FFVII First Soldier trip report:

I’m not a battle royale enjoyer but if I were, I still couldn’t see a reason to play this. Even with a controller, it feels bad to move around. The parkour is pretty clunky, the netcode isn’t great (occasionally bumping of things or clipping through things even while on good wifi), and the super jump you get from aero sometimes just teleports you a few feet ahead over the obstacle in your way.

The guns are mostly fine, and switching from a gun to melee is quick and you go right into it after just one button press. Going from melee to gun takes a bit, and switching from anything to magic takes long enough that with the time to kill being so short in this game it is a bad idea.

The magic basically just sucks. It doesn’t do bad damage but it moves so slow that you’ll never hit a character that isn’t sitting still. I guess it’s more for area denial?

I have absolutely played worse battle royale games, but this just feels like a worse version of Apex Legends.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bruceski posted:

A different, concurrent story.

The coolest thing about Balthier is that he’s an engineer with machinist heritage and a true talent/affinity/upbringing around machinery and at the end of the day he decides to partner up with a hot bunny babe that’s basically an Oracle, and completely respects her side of things.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Found another FF5 bug - Zombied character wielding the Healing Staff will not proc the heal, but WILL continuously queue more and more attacks only while the window is active.

It's not a full hardlock, you can queue another ability and alt-tab out until you hear it go off, but drat that's a weird one.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Mandoric posted:

Found another FF5 bug - Zombied character wielding the Healing Staff will not proc the heal, but WILL continuously queue more and more attacks only while the window is active.

It's not a full hardlock, you can queue another ability and alt-tab out until you hear it go off, but drat that's a weird one.

I had that happen to me too, thought I was softlocked, then when I alt-tabbed to mention it in the discord it eventually stopped. I had already queued a Holy Water by then so I figured it just timed out eventually and didn't realize it was alt-tabbing that fixed it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

blakelmenakle posted:

I had that happen to me too, thought I was softlocked, then when I alt-tabbed to mention it in the discord it eventually stopped. I had already queued a Holy Water by then so I figured it just timed out eventually and didn't realize it was alt-tabbing that fixed it.

How many get queued before it runs out definitely appears to be tied to window state; dipping immediately makes it only take a few seconds, while leaving it up holding Run for a while took well over a minute.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

jokes posted:

Barrett has a gun surgically attached to his arm and you know how many times he dies? Zero. And he becomes an oil baron!

Well, which version of FFVII are we talking about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Hmm, kind of interesting that this hasn't been added to the OP yet...

:raise:

The OP isn't going to host such blatant lies.

Barudak posted:

Really? I had a pretty fun time with it until 2.0 launched

Yes yes we get it, your gimmick is you only play terrible games and say that good games are bad.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't think I have literally ever gotten hit with Zombie status in FFV

Not a brag or a dig at anyone, just something I realized based on the current topic

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mandoric posted:

I ran into a bunch towards the end of the game. Miming a dual casted summon would straight hard lock the game, characters with the gold hairpin equipped wouldnt be able to cast a spell if its non reduced mp cost was higher than the characters current mp, some dual casted spells wouldnt play their animations (honestly a plus when dual casting bahamut and leviathan), I think there were a couple others. I was alarmed to run into like 4 bugs in a row at the end of the game but I suppose they all kind of centered around dual casting summons so odds are good you wouldn't see them earlier.

Remembered a couple more. When a freelancer would counter, if their atb was above 75% they would often times lose their entire bar, and occasionally throughout the game skipping a characters turn in battle while another character was about to fill their bar would soft lock the game for 20ish seconds.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Guessing all this bugginess is due to FFV having a lot more moving parts under the hood than any previous game

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yikes, those are some pretty hefty bugs. I guess I can be glad FFVPR exists for the new soundtrack and just keep playing the older versions. Though I guess maybe the bugs can be worked out by the mod scene? Though that's definitely a lot more work than just changing enemy names.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yikes, those are some pretty hefty bugs. I guess I can be glad FFVPR exists for the new soundtrack and just keep playing the older versions. Though I guess maybe the bugs can be worked out by the mod scene? Though that's definitely a lot more work than just changing enemy names.

I mean S-E will probably just patch it?

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Is there any way to get FF6 on steam anymore, so I can use mods? or do i just have to wait it out until the pixel remaster or whatever it's called

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Woodenlung posted:

Is there any way to get FF6 on steam anymore, so I can use mods? or do i just have to wait it out until the pixel remaster or whatever it's called

No and yes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If bugs are a turn off to someone, playing old video games is probably a bad idea

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

When a freelancer would counter, if their atb was above 75% they would often times lose their entire bar

I see this one a lot and just figured it was a weird quirk with FFV, since the last time I played the game past like.. Karnak was almost 20 years ago before I was even in high school.

I've also noticed that when enemies have multiple atttacks, your party's health doesn't go down until all the attacks have finished, E.g. Lenna has 1500hp. Enemy attacks once, Lenna takes 500 damage. Lenna has 1500hp. Enemy attacks a second time, Lenna takes 700 damage. Lenna now has 300hp. It's entirely cosmetic and I just chalked it up to engine weirdness, but it's there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

If bugs are a turn off to someone, playing old video games is probably a bad idea

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

characters with the gold hairpin equipped wouldnt be able to cast a spell if its non reduced mp cost was higher than the characters current mp,

oh yeah I ran into this one lol

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

dolphinbomb posted:

I see this one a lot and just figured it was a weird quirk with FFV, since the last time I played the game past like.. Karnak was almost 20 years ago before I was even in high school.

I've also noticed that when enemies have multiple atttacks, your party's health doesn't go down until all the attacks have finished, E.g. Lenna has 1500hp. Enemy attacks once, Lenna takes 500 damage. Lenna has 1500hp. Enemy attacks a second time, Lenna takes 700 damage. Lenna now has 300hp. It's entirely cosmetic and I just chalked it up to engine weirdness, but it's there.

That one's intended; multi-part attacks (both from the player, which is bad for the player, and from an enemy, which is good for the player) proc simultaneously except if following the Twin Lance, which in PR closes out the current stack and opens a new one in order to fix ANOTHER infamous bug in terms of in-game time and then play the animation sequentially while pausing further ticks. It means you can sometimes get lucky and have a boss unload multiattacks all on someone who'd have died from the first, and while it would be nice to have NIN switch targets if their right hand killed or kill something with Assassin Knife swing damage and then Doom something else with the onhit, it makes both NIN and special weapons behave as expected.

e: you can see the apply-pause-and-animate time stop most clearly in PR by trying to target a low-hp enemy after another party member steps forward to make the killing swing (especially noticable with NIN and a onhit proc; you can ie not kill with right-hand Mage Masher, have Mute go off, not kill with Assassin Dagger, have Doom go off and finally kill, but as soon as the character steps forward you won't be able to move the cursor to that enemy.) But apart from at most the cursor spoilers, which I honestly don't recall either way, that's how it's always worked.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 18, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
On the plus side the remasters have great auto save systems!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you people want a real challenge, get 100% achievements on FF3’s DS/3D version like me

Don’t do this it’s awful

Although that version really didn’t have many bugs that I recall. Honestly it’s a pretty dang good iteration

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 18, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Okay now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t remember a lot of bugs, if any, in FF10, FF12, or FF13. I also don’t remember any bugs in the FF3 or FF4 remakes and I 100%’d them bad boys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I’m picturing a TFR goon shout to cloud when he lets her dead body float away into that water “this wouldn’t have happened if she had a gun”

Barrett has a gun surgically attached to his arm and you know how many times he dies? Zero. And he becomes an oil baron!

Incorrect. So far Barret has died just as many times as Aerith.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Goddamn they really butchered the bassline on Lenna's Theme in FFVPR, that track used to vibe so hard

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

jokes posted:

Okay now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t remember a lot of bugs, if any, in FF10, FF12, or FF13. I also don’t remember any bugs in the FF3 or FF4 remakes and I 100%’d them bad boys.

4 was wild bugwise. Most lategame weapons which were supposed to have elemental flags are treated as armor for flag purposes, removing Adamant Armor makes you perma-hyper-vulnerable to all its resistances, walking repeatedly through certain sets of doors eventually Missingnos your map position, and then in GBA ATB is broken and switching party order sometimes wipes all saves on the cart, while on DS the moon is actually many tiled moons and if you try to wrap around you lose the Whale.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

jokes posted:

Yea the FF5PR bugs really stood out because as a franchise Final Fantasy has been mostly bug free, and the ones it did have were fun helpful bugs, like having 255 Excaliburs in FF4 or Relm's Sketch bug.

Although maybe the way I should phrase it is they had a lot of bugs that weren't visible unless you were looking under the hood. Stuff like INT being broken in FF1, Magic Evade in 6, etc, etc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

MDef from armor just flat out not working at all in FF7 is something I never even realized because it's a pretty easy game so it never really made a difference.

My Fiesta-style run in XII starts with Vaan as a Machinist and Penelo as an Archer. This means that Vaan is pretty much going to be stuck with the weak Dagger for a while.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

PneumonicBook posted:

as a franchise Final Fantasy has been mostly bug free,

lmao

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
This thread sure is funny.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea the FF5PR bugs really stood out because as a franchise Final Fantasy has been mostly bug free, and the ones it did have were fun helpful bugs, like having 255 Excaliburs in FF4 or Relm's Sketch bug.

Although maybe the way I should phrase it is they had a lot of bugs that weren't visible unless you were looking under the hood. Stuff like INT being broken in FF1, Magic Evade in 6, etc, etc.

Every single FF game up until like....X has had some major mechanic or number that either did not work as intended or just didn't work at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every single FF game up until like....X has had some major mechanic or number that either did not work as intended or just didn't work at all.

Yea and playing through the games as released you largely didn't notice it. I mean I, at least, hadn't run into any enormous bugs that made me say hey wait this is obviously broken.

Maybe im misremembering and 11 year old me was very upset about evade not working at all in 6.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 19, 2021