Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Trafficked 2 kids from Legia Warsaw to fill out my bench. No wages and turns out they're good enough to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's kinda funny how some teams in like League Two have a Sign High Reputation Players club philosophy. If you look at these teams ten years into a save it's comical, they burn through like 11 managers in 10 years, presumably because, y'know, signing a high reputation player in League Two is impossible so every manager always has one foot in the sack.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/fmscout/status/1459563172256522240?t=H0bblYDFcHKvSLIlTgV_cg&s=19

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Holy lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that's like 5 xG right there

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And he went on to miss a penalty, I'm sure.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eh, just gimme a pint

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm getting towards the end of my season in the Irish Premiership, I'm doing better than in the Welsh Premiership (Welsh Premiership is ranked something like 109 in Europe, Irish Premiership is all the way up to 66 or so.) I'm currently first by seven points with nine games to go (and in massive debt.) If previous seasons are anything to go by I need four wins and a draw or two to win the whole thing (it won't be that easy.)

Something I've definitely noticed is that other teams are far quicker to adjust to my tactics than in Wales, which I feel is a function of better managers being given an intelligence/tactical boost. I played with two tactics, a 4-3-3 Gegenpress moderately direct tactic, and a 4-2-3-1 Control Possession tactic. I thought I was dealing with the halfway-point re-adjustment where teams realised I was better than I should be, so set up more defensively, so I changed to the cautious control possession tactic. Within about six or seven games teams started playing 5-3-2 and 5-2-3 formations against me, totally loving over my control possession.

It wasn't just that typical halfway-point "We should go more defensive against them!" You play each team four times in the Irish Premiership, and each time I played a team they seemed to come back with a counter to what I was doing the next game, i.e. the managers are a lot more tactically aware.

I think in the future I need to come up with a third formation for when my two "winning" formations fail. I'm thinking another control possession or even tiki taka approach, but this time in a diamond or mainly center-field approach that lets me have two strikers. I don't think I can go with another formation with two attacking wide-men, even if that means an almost re-haul of how I set up/fill out my squads.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you doing an "around the isles" manager run or did you go to Ireland by opportunity?

Winning the Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English league titles could be a fun challenge.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mans posted:

Are you doing an "around the isles" manager run or did you go to Ireland by opportunity?

Winning the Welsh, Irish, Scottish and English league titles could be a fun challenge.

I started unemployed, Sunday League experience, National C badge. I loaded a fair amount of nations. I didn't want to go to Turkey, no-one in Russia wanted me, so instead it was off to an even worse hellhole with Wales and Cefn Druids.

I did two seasons in Wales. Got Cefn Druids to 3rd the first season, 2nd the second season. I asked them to go pro and get me more coaching badges, but they refused. I couldn't see us beating TNS who were a pro team to our semi-pro, and another team seemed to have gone pro, so I think I did the best I could manage in Wales. I gave an ultimatum about going pro/badges, and they said, "Off you gently caress!" I was unemployed for a few months and just happened to get a job in Ireland, although my nationality is Irish. This is more of a journey-(wo)-man save than anything in particular. I just want to get all my badges and go from there (although I'll be hosed if I'm managing in the English Championship.)

I've definitely thought about doing a UK&Ireland save. Start in Wales, maybe. Then to Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland, then the Premiership, beginning at the very bottom.

I've also thought about doing a "Celtic League" save, but my experience with custom databases hasn't been good. What I'd want is a league system that combines Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I'd imagine it'd rival the depth of the English system, although wouldn't have as much money.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Speaking as someone very naïve about the series, what are the big differences that people have noted, good or bad, between 22 and 21? Both are at 92% thumps up on Steam; I own 21 outright and I currently have access to 22 via GamePass. Just curious.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Eh, just gimme a pint

Belenenses is fun as hell but i'm having trouble with the homegroan rule. Loaning from benfica/sporting is a pain because they're rivals, and most good free agents are brazilian.

Kalidou Yero seems to be a cheatcode for the 4th league though, just ping balls at him, he's got 18 jumping reach so you'll just win every game

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking as someone very naïve about the series, what are the big differences that people have noted, good or bad, between 22 and 21? Both are at 92% thumps up on Steam; I own 21 outright and I currently have access to 22 via GamePass. Just curious.

For someone who hasn't really got to grips with FM the RockPaperShotgun review deals with the elements that might be applicable best. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/football-manager-2022-review

The animation engine is better, according to everyone (I didn't really notice as I haven't played 21 for a few months.) The Data Hub makes it a lot easier to see how opponents will perform and how to adjust your own tactics. The Stamina changes have meant that certain tactics aren't as powerful as they were, at least long-term over a season when you end up dealing with injuries and player burn-out. The Staff Meetings make it a lot easier to find your way into some of the deeper elements of the game (so much so that this is the first FM in years I'd recommend to someone who hasn't been playing for yonks, or who never played before, and isn't a teenager, student or unemployed with all the time in the world.) I haven't had any Transfer Deadline stuff as I think it only works with big leagues. As someone who actually does the Press Conference stuff they've made it a fair bit better. There's more options, they seem a little more applicable, and the writing feels fresher.

Some things I've noticed but haven't been officially confirmed from SI/FM/Miles include opposition managers being better. I've found a good manager will adapt to your tactics a lot faster over a season compared to previous versions. At lower levels it seems harder to get good players, the whole, "Trial them and sign them," tactic isn't as powerful as it was, with a lot of the better guys just refusing to sign with you despite taking a trial.

Basically, it's a lot more polished. The big changes really feed into how you approach matches/get the most out of your team. And it feels more difficult, at least at lower levels.

Just play it on GamePass. The modding/save files are all easily accessible, so if you want to buy it outright on Steam or something they'll all transfer over.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

Some things I've noticed but haven't been officially confirmed from SI/FM/Miles include opposition managers being better. I've found a good manager will adapt to your tactics a lot faster over a season compared to previous versions.

There's nothing like this in the current build.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Generally I've had the most success in FM21 playing 58% possession when I'm a big underdog and 42% possession when I'm a big favorite. That's how it works in real life too right??

If it actually works as advertised/rumored than being unable to nightmare gegenpress 24/7 anymore in FM22 due to changes in how stamina works would be the biggest change to FM in years. Even in FM21 the optimal tactics (counter, counter-press, extremely urgent pressing intensity, close down hard on every player) should have your whole team on about 40% condition by half time.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 18, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sassassin posted:

There's nothing like this in the current build.

It could be the result of me moving to a league where we play each team four times, or it could just be me inventing stories out of raw numbers, which is something these types of games do. But I definitely feel better managers are better at being better this year.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

It could be the result of me moving to a league where we play each team four times, or it could just be me inventing stories out of raw numbers, which is something these types of games do. But I definitely feel better managers are better at being better this year.

Opposition managers respond the same way they always have. Relative reputations are reconsidered twice a year, which informs how defensive or attacking they make they default approach(es). There's no real mechanism for better managers being better at working out how to play a particular game.

The key issue with the current public match engine build is how well inferior teams keep the ball. It's the old "relegation battlers playing like Barca" issue turned up to 11. This might be creating the impression that other sides are playing better as you improve. This will change with the next match engine patch, it's not intended behaviour.

Pressing doesn't really work at the moment, but it's got nothing to do with stamina changes. The main changes they made to stamina were about players preserving energy when tired, rather than getting tired faster. You can set a high block all game but players engaging and trying to win the ball is very rare.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mrenda posted:

The Data Hub makes it a lot easier to see how opponents will perform and how to adjust your own tactics.

I keep reading people saying this but I kind of don't understand it - I know it's asking a lot for an effort post - but how do you make the data hub work for you?
The largest extent of what I get out of it is looking at whether to line up with my 5 3 2 or my 4 3 3 based upon their previous records against those records and whether or not to start the match/come back from halftime either more aggressive or cautiously (momentum graphs)

Is there anything in there deeper than that?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

I keep reading people saying this but I kind of don't understand it - I know it's asking a lot for an effort post - but how do you make the data hub work for you?
The largest extent of what I get out of it is looking at whether to line up with my 5 3 2 or my 4 3 3 based upon their previous records against those records and whether or not to start the match/come back from halftime either more aggressive or cautiously (momentum graphs)

Is there anything in there deeper than that?

I've only ever clicked on it by accident. Even in the example you give the game doesn't know how your 5-3-2 and 4-3-3 formations play, so other teams having success with similar shapes means very little.

They've added it because stats and data are really important in the modern game, but there aren't any visible attributes irl so we have to measure effects as a way of identifying cause. It can be interesting, and maybe you can learn some basic stuff from it, but there aren't really any secrets to figure out.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I mean that's the crux of it all - all the FM youtubers were like probably told to shout from the stars that this is amazing look at all it shows us!

Then provide literally no actual examples of how to utilize the data as presented to come up with some conclusions that works in your favour.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mainly use the pass graph with the Force Opposition setting in match tactics to do the opposite of what they want to do and sometimes I'll use it to target specifically important people. In previous years opposition instructions was a lot of guesswork, this gives you some information.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

My biggest issue with the match engine is lone strikers seemingly being unable to ever score still. We're scoring plenty from elsewhere but one of mine hasn't scored for 14 hours, the other for 18. (Yet Ronaldo is banging in a hat trick every week for Man U, somehow.) I wouldn't really care but for the press constantly demanding to know why I don't drop them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pipski posted:

My biggest issue with the match engine is lone strikers seemingly being unable to ever score still. We're scoring plenty from elsewhere but one of mine hasn't scored for 14 hours, the other for 18. (Yet Ronaldo is banging in a hat trick every week for Man U, somehow.) I wouldn't really care but for the press constantly demanding to know why I don't drop them.

Post your tictac.

I've not really had that problem, it's my "star" striker in a front two that's going through a drought at the moment (getting shown up by literal children).

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pipski posted:

I'm similar. A lone striker just doesn't score goals but any of the AMs will, as well as mezzalas.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

sassassin posted:

Post your tictac.

A standard 4-1-2-2-1 wide gegenpress and a 4-2-3-1 with an AMC. Nowt fancy or involved.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
No wide centerbacks?!

Just make your goalkeeper handle all the scoring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heP1pf3nkbM

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
according to the data hub in my vanarama south career, just about every entry to the penalty box comes from the left, for every opponent. :ussr:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

No wide centerbacks?!

Just make your goalkeeper handle all the scoring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heP1pf3nkbM

Near post corners are nerfed in the next patch.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I won the Irish Premiership with Waterford with two matches left. The winning game I conceded within a minute, got one back on thirty minutes, had a second yellow card to go down to 10 men on 38 minutes, scored the winning goal on 80 minutes. Champions! (No trophy presentation screen though.)

The plan had always been to leave the Irish Premiership after this season, hopefully winning it and getting a boost to my reputation to move on up, but the board have more than doubled my wage budget. Now I have to have a big think about it all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pipski posted:

A standard 4-1-2-2-1 wide gegenpress and a 4-2-3-1 with an AMC. Nowt fancy or involved.

The lone striker is going to score two types of goals from open play - the long ball/early pass in behind that gets them 1v1 (include early crosses in this), and in sustained attacks where he's not the first (or often even second) player entering the box. Dominant teams will often see their lone striker failing to score even when the team is doing well because there's no space in behind to exploit early, and they're the poor sucker doing the donkey work occupying defenders while you pass it around.

For me this comes down to knowing when to put my striker on AF-A so they're leading the line and looking to spring in behind, and when to put them on DLF-A so they're dropping in and will rejoin the front later (with at least one runner in a central area breaking into the box early - an AM-A, SS-A or fast CM-A). I had great results with a powerful P-A with the 'Plays with back to goal' trait, who basically needed no babysitting he'd just stay central and work his magic.

Alternatively if the idea is just to keep the player and media happy makes sure your striker is a big lump and aim for him on set pieces. He'll score enough to stop losing faith.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So I've got two tactics on the go. A 4-3-3, a little more direct, higher tempo, high pressing for teams I'm expected to do well against. And a 4-2-3-1, low tempo, passing, control possession for teams I'm more likely to draw or lose to. I really feel like I need a third tactic for teams that pack their defence against me, playing 5atb (with wing backs) and seem to beat me on the counter. Do I just counter their counter with a sitting back technique that invites them on? Something like a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-2-2-2 with AMLs/AMRs? Or do I go with breaking down the defence with a 4-1-2-1-2 tiki-taka type approach through the center negating their wingbacks?

I'd like two forwards, and don't have the players for wing backs which'd involve totally rebuilding my team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

I'd like two forwards, and don't have the players for wing backs which'd involve totally rebuilding my team.

You don't need to go symmetrical, especially when trying to break down stubborn teams. This is one of my go-to shapes:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

So I've got two tactics on the go. A 4-3-3, a little more direct, higher tempo, high pressing for teams I'm expected to do well against. And a 4-2-3-1, low tempo, passing, control possession for teams I'm more likely to draw or lose to. I really feel like I need a third tactic for teams that pack their defence against me, playing 5atb (with wing backs) and seem to beat me on the counter. Do I just counter their counter with a sitting back technique that invites them on? Something like a 4-1-2-2-1 or 4-2-2-2 with AMLs/AMRs? Or do I go with breaking down the defence with a 4-1-2-1-2 tiki-taka type approach through the center negating their wingbacks?

For wingback formations the spaces will be out wide. A 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 will be 2v1 on both flanks and be able to pull players out of the central area, creating space for late runners. Or just win corners.

Wingbacks engage higher and earlier this year, which makes pulling them out of shape and exposing a back three easier. I don't like it as a defensive formation for that reason. When teams go Attacking they pile wide men forward and it's very easy to be exposed in the channels.

edit: Your two tactics look backwards to me. A low tempo 4-2-3-1 is what I would use as an endgame dominant team tactic to patiently break defences down, while playing more direct and putting three bodies in midfield is an underdog strategy for when teams are pushing forwards.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 19, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Love it when a 5* free agent from Eastern Europe randomly pops up in the scouting recommendations begging for a trial and maybe a warm place to sleep for the night.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And then when you try to sign them it's all Star Player, 30% of your wage budget, small minimum fee release, stepping stone promise, play only in this specific role you don't use, outlandish agent fee, and weekly blow jobs

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sassassin posted:

For wingback formations the spaces will be out wide. A 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 will be 2v1 on both flanks and be able to pull players out of the central area, creating space for late runners. Or just win corners.

Wingbacks engage higher and earlier this year, which makes pulling them out of shape and exposing a back three easier. I don't like it as a defensive formation for that reason. When teams go Attacking they pile wide men forward and it's very easy to be exposed in the channels.

edit: Your two tactics look backwards to me. A low tempo 4-2-3-1 is what I would use as an endgame dominant team tactic to patiently break defences down, while playing more direct and putting three bodies in midfield is an underdog strategy for when teams are pushing forwards.

It might be different next year. We were predicted to be 5th (of 10) at the start of the season. Despite being 1st at the halfway point no-one went all-out defense against us. There was a lot of balanced football, with 5atb balanced being tighter matches. I used the patient approach for that because it was mainly used by teams that were actually better than us but it meant we could hold out for a draw, or snatch a goal. For some reason, eight times out of ten, bottom-half clubs used balanced and more attacking formations, with that in mind I went with the 4-3-3 more-direct and usually beat them.

I think our squad strength combined with our predicted place messed things up a little in regards to what other teams would do against us, and our "First-at-halfway" didn't get granted full value.

I'm strengthening the squad, so I think teams will behave more predictably against what should be my more dominant team (and AI-predicted to be dominant team.) Combine that with European football to play in halfway through the season and I doubt I'll repeat my League of Ireland win. There's just too much going on. I was kind of blessed by leaving one cup early and most of the teams challenging me directly for the title having fatigue problems with European football.

I am gonna be absolutely reamed for wages though, if not this year, definitely next year when I have to give new contracts to my decent players. I'm just hoping there'll be a few absolute stars that still only view themselves as "Breakthrough Prospects" even though I'll be giving them real first team experience.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
How does one implement a full 5-man back line in this game, specifically a 5-4-1? That's always been my 'park the bus' strategy, but I don't know if it can allow me to hold possession and nobody can fully cede possession and soak up pressure forever. The idea is basically two fullbacks, two centre backs and maybe a libero/sweeper, but I would probably still need a Makelélé in front of the back line and that leaves me with almost nobody to counter or even keep possession. My other issue is people getting in behind the fullbacks. They need to go forward for width, but then it opens up counters on the wings. Four centre backs is probably too passive, and FM21 doesn't have 'wide-centre' backs. (talk about a contradiction in terms)

Eric the Mauve posted:

weekly blow jobs

Weekly?! Maybe for Ligue 2 scrubs

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

How does one implement a full 5-man back line in this game, specifically a 5-4-1? That's always been my 'park the bus' strategy, but I don't know if it can allow me to hold possession and nobody can fully cede possession and soak up pressure forever. The idea is basically two fullbacks, two centre backs and maybe a libero/sweeper, but I would probably still need a Makelélé in front of the back line and that leaves me with almost nobody to counter or even keep possession. My other issue is people getting in behind the fullbacks. They need to go forward for width, but then it opens up counters on the wings. Four centre backs is probably too passive, and FM21 doesn't have 'wide-centre' backs. (talk about a contradiction in terms)

In FM21 the 5-3-2 with wingbacks was my defensive system. Bog-standard AF-A/DLF-S combo up front to provide an outlet. Wingbacks on support retreat to the backline readily enough. Flat three in midfield allows you to clog up the middle and have players shuttle across to support wide areas when needed.

A pacey striker will score tons of goals against teams pushing forward.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When I'm trying to grind out a lead I usually use Attacking mentality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm convinced the "time wasting" instruction past about 80 minutes is just an instruction to show you highlights every thirty seconds.