Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cinara posted:

Going over 100% accuracy completely ruins your accuracy, it seems to roll it over, so you need to be at exactly 100%. You have to be careful you don't pick up any attachments that modify accuracy or play Walker with his accuracy buff on kill.

I didn't have this experience myself, running at 100% accuracy plus a Laser Sight.

AA12 with 100% accuracy, high reload, and the Compensator is hilarious. Just brrrrrrrrrrt through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These are the 3 cards I used for 100% accuracy:

Here's the full deck but I just play on recruit/veteran in public games, it's probably not great if you do serious runs with a good team

But 70% or 80% accuracy may better than 100% because a little spread really helps clear big hordes of ridden.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 16, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
AA12 or TAC14 for the slug shotgun build? I've been trying to make a hybrid SMG/shotgun deck work and while the SMG can do great against hordes, the shotgun usually leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to killing specials quickly (though that may just be the tallboy family being horseshit as usual)

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Aside from the two discords in the OP, is there any other discords? I don't seem to see any regular groups lately...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

toasterwarrior posted:

AA12 or TAC14 for the slug shotgun build? I've been trying to make a hybrid SMG/shotgun deck work and while the SMG can do great against hordes, the shotgun usually leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to killing specials quickly (though that may just be the tallboy family being horseshit as usual)

I find the AA12 is among my best tools for keeping exploders from closing on short notice.

I'm led to believe if you can get reload speed up that the TAC14 because the shotgun equivalent of an bullet hose.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God drat. Every time I try and play this game at the end of a workday, and it gets to about 11:30 PM Central, the connection goes to absolute poo poo and I have no idea why. I don't seem to have that problem with other games, but this game gets unplayable around then every time I try.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So it turns out you're not actually in the humvee, you just become an invulnerable, yet still targetable entity.
Retch acid still gives you the debuff onscreen also.

https://i.imgur.com/IX5BhC2.gifv

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think 100% accuracy LMG is even better than 100% accuracy shotgun. LMGs have some really heavy per-bullet damage that's only counteracted by low accuracy and slow reloads. With +100% accuracy and +100% reload speed all of their drawbacks go away and they kill specials way faster than 100% accuracy/reload shotguns while still being able to chew through crowds.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apropos of nothing, I do not blame anyone quitting the game after experiencing Act 3 map 1, what a loving disaster of a map that highlights all the bad design choices in this game, particularly when you roll the good ole "boss card at the beginning of the act" situation

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think my friend and I are done after the internment facility/mass-grave-with-special-grenades pair of levels at the end of Act 3. They seem really annoying and I don't particularly want to try that last one again. Even on recruit.

Plus his Gamepass trial is almost up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Apropos of nothing, I do not blame anyone quitting the game after experiencing Act 3 map 1, what a loving disaster of a map that highlights all the bad design choices in this game, particularly when you roll the good ole "boss card at the beginning of the act" situation

It gets sooooo much worse than that lol.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
That final act 3 level is rough but if you build decks specifically for it it becomes relatively trivial. Stack a bunch of speed/stamina and grenade capacity and one decent use speed card. Bring Karlee for some more use speed, carry as many stun guns as you can hold and just sprint full speed throwing grenades at every node, every time you are low on grenades throw one right on top of a grenade box, open it, loot and keep running. Once you break every node the specials stop spawning and the ogre dies incredibly fast with the damage bonus on the T-5 grenades.

Honestly the level before it was harder just because of that final section, but if you can bring a bunch of firecrackers / pipe bombs you can just keep baiting the zombies away from the doors and rush your way through killing only a few specials.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

odiv posted:

I think my friend and I are done after the internment facility/mass-grave-with-special-grenades pair of levels at the end of Act 3. They seem really annoying and I don't particularly want to try that last one again. Even on recruit.
This is the level that put my group off the game, possibly for good. The level is so large, and spawns are so frequent, that it seemed inevitable we'd get some bullshit mutation spawn combo. Like the four simultaneous Crushers I mentioned in an earlier post.

Interestingly, The Anacrusis -- another upcoming four-player co-op shooter with L4D alumni on the dev team -- just put out a dev blog talking about their AI director. What they learned from L4D and how they're evolving those concepts.

The Anacrusis - Introducing the AI Director Version 2.0

I know it's just words on a page until their game releases, but it seems like they understand the goal of a director AI better than the B4B devs seem to. It's supposed to make the players feel like they have the ultimate agency in the outcome: when they play well, it should seem like they've just barely scraped out a win against overwhelming odds. And when they die, it should feel like they always had a fighting chance and went down swinging.

B4B rarely did that for me. Often we'd barely finish a hard level, and someone would say "well, that was some bullshit", rather than "woah, that was amazing, I can't believe we won" -- something I hear a lot in my group Discord when we're playing Deep Rock Galactic or Payday 2. And when we wiped, it wasn't because we felt like we were playing any worse than usual; it was because the game decided to spawn some random bullshit on top of us, which made us go from "everything's fine" to "everyone's dead" within a few seconds.

That type of director system should err on the side of making the players feel like superheroes more often than not (even when it's busy killing them), and that's where B4B fails for me.

Cinara posted:

That final act 3 level is rough but if you build decks specifically for it it becomes relatively trivial.
In my opinion, you should not have to do this when playing on Recruit.

Or really at any level, since the game's boneheaded checkpointing system means that you're obviously not intended to spec for any specific map.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Anacrusis looks to have problems way, way beyond the AI Director implementation if trailers are anything to go by

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

In my opinion, you should not have to do this when playing on Recruit.

Or really at any level, since the game's boneheaded checkpointing system means that you're obviously not intended to spec for any specific map.

On recruit you really don't need to have a special deck, just play the level in the same way as I described with your normal deck. Any deck should have at least one good movespeed card, ideally Run Like Hell if you have that, and a stamina card also if you can fit that. The main issue with the level is you cannot play it like you would any normal level, you cannot stop to fight until every nest is dead or you will face endless spawns. It's a pretty poo poo level IMO and the way to beat it is unintuitive for most new players.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cinara posted:

That final act 3 level is rough but if you build decks specifically for it it becomes relatively trivial. Stack a bunch of speed/stamina and grenade capacity and one decent use speed card. Bring Karlee for some more use speed, carry as many stun guns as you can hold and just sprint full speed throwing grenades at every node, every time you are low on grenades throw one right on top of a grenade box, open it, loot and keep running. Once you break every node the specials stop spawning and the ogre dies incredibly fast with the damage bonus on the T-5 grenades.

Honestly the level before it was harder just because of that final section, but if you can bring a bunch of firecrackers / pipe bombs you can just keep baiting the zombies away from the doors and rush your way through killing only a few specials.

Is the level before the one where you are running through the fenced in area? We never had too many issues with just running through there.

The parts of the game that gave us a ton of trouble was basically the whole checkpoint that ends with T5. "the cabins by the lake" feels broken on veteran and the special spawns are insane with 4 players. It's usually a cakewalk with two players, but both that and the level after it feel totally over tuned with 4 people. Then T5 is loving insane regardless of how many players you have. I think it took us probably 8 hours and 5 sessions to actually clear that checkpoint.

Then ultimately the body dump made everyone quit. I can't even get anyone to try to finish it with me lol. Maybe another group wouldn't mind adopting me for a night and helping me get through that and the final level? I still would like to finish it personally but that level put everyone I know off of the game.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The parts of the game that gave us a ton of trouble was basically the whole checkpoint that ends with T5. "the cabins by the lake" feels broken on veteran and the special spawns are insane with 4 players. It's usually a cakewalk with two players, but both that and the level after it feel totally over tuned with 4 people. Then T5 is loving insane regardless of how many players you have. I think it took us probably 8 hours and 5 sessions to actually clear that checkpoint.

Yea holy poo poo Cabins by the lake is brutal especially if you don't know how to cheese the boat section. If you start the boat then jump back on the dock all the zombies chase the boat and then once the boat breaks they just... stop spawning. Then as you cross maybe 2-4 specials will spawn and the whole section is a joke. The end of the level rush is rough though, we had a few wipes there on veteran.

The house wasn't too bad actually, one good sniper on the roof can stop most of the specials from ever reaching the house while the other 3 players collect the crates. Have them bring all the crates to the roof and drop them off the edge then you can jump off as a team and do all 10 crates at once.

We played every level with 4 players so I have no idea if the game really feels any different with less. I do know that if I play solo with bots that most levels feel pretty easy, the only hard ones are any where you need to split up or carry crates, as the bots will never help you.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Can comfortably confirm that 100% accuracy build makes you a threshing machine. My only problem with it is that I don't click right and I used to be able to blame that on the gun

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

The Anacrusis looks to have problems way, way beyond the AI Director implementation if trailers are anything to go by

I went to go take a look at it and, wow, it seems really bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

I went to go take a look at it and, wow, it seems really bad.

I just watched this interview with one of the devs and I hate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N08Mo9pByk

It's a bunch of patting themselves on the back for deciding to use extremely generic solutions to solvable problems. Like they talk about how experienced players follow the same path every run and they needed an awesome way to stop that so they... place loot off of the main path. And they needed a way to make the game feel different every time you play, so they added this awesome system where... random perks spawn in the world.

Like I mean those are fine solutions to those problems but they are the solutions that every game made in the last decade used, how are they your talking points in an interview

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I'm trying the 100% accuracy set ups and had a pair of interesting moments today.

In the trailer camp, I got to see 6 retches spawn simultaneously in front of the safe room. Last time I saw exactly six retches spawn they did it at the end of a bridge. In this case, they just popped in after someone in a different part of the map startled some birbs.

In a later run, I was playing Mom. Made it to the estate in Act 3. I pick my card, but my card doesn't take effect. I press F to continue and... Mom is not in the safe room and I'm stuck as an invisible camera embedded in the wall. When the other players get to play, it says I have to wait to respawn.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I finally have a good one! A stalker grabbed me while I was up against the railing on a bridge and his momentum carried me through the geometry, so we were standing on air doing his hostage taker animation like it was looney tunes. After a second or two the game realized where we were and ragdolled both of us into the water

Other than that, has anyone else noticed that the Xbox players tend to be dumb as bricks? I don't mean normal pubbie stupid that's usually them not being a team player. I mean the kind of stupid that will refuse to use free medical cabinets, jump off ledges so they can't be rescued, run away from the safe room after everyone else is in, set off alarms immediately after they're tagged, run away from the group when a set piece horde is triggered, unlock the minigun and place it somewhere useless only to get downed on it, etc. I thought maybe it's been a few standouts that really colored my opinion, but then I checked my B4B friends list and it was all PC and PS5 players, so I had to ask if I'm getting bad matches of it's an actual trend others can see

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cinara posted:

Yea holy poo poo Cabins by the lake is brutal especially if you don't know how to cheese the boat section. If you start the boat then jump back on the dock all the zombies chase the boat and then once the boat breaks they just... stop spawning. Then as you cross maybe 2-4 specials will spawn and the whole section is a joke. The end of the level rush is rough though, we had a few wipes there on veteran.

The house wasn't too bad actually, one good sniper on the roof can stop most of the specials from ever reaching the house while the other 3 players collect the crates. Have them bring all the crates to the roof and drop them off the edge then you can jump off as a team and do all 10 crates at once.

We played every level with 4 players so I have no idea if the game really feels any different with less. I do know that if I play solo with bots that most levels feel pretty easy, the only hard ones are any where you need to split up or carry crates, as the bots will never help you.

Oh yeah, player count matters a lot but it's wildly inconsistent. having 2 players ramps veteran down a lot of the time but sometimes it will just randomly gently caress you. For the most part it's easier though. The second the team actually has to do an objective it becomes very hard though since the bots do nothing. With 4 players it seems like it's almost always firing all on all cylinders.

it's funny cause the part you described as a joke is always the worst part for us. The lake, eh. It's pretty consistent. The end run we just run through. But the part right after crossing the lake is bonkers. We will go from dead silence to an ogre/hag 3 tallboys and multiple hockers in 2 seconds flat, and it always seems to have alarmed doors that get triggered by stray bullets. I think that part right after the lake killed us more than anything else in the game.

I talked everyone into playing again and we got the body dump on our first try tonight. I think that was the fourth or fifth attempt which makes it much less of a pain than T5 was. It seemed ridiculous the first few tries though. Also I get the complaints about the acid zombies now. We got through it but it makes that one part with the chain link fences super annoying.

Then we did the last level on recruit . I haven't tried it yet but I think that's gonna be a huge bitch on veteran lol.

It so funny that the last update pretty much just made the game harder and when the trophy for CH 3 veteran popped I looked and 1.6% of players have it. "Clearly the thing we must do in our game that 1% of players have finished on normal after a month is buff the zombies, nerf the players and not address the spawns"

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Then we did the last level on recruit . I haven't tried it yet but I think that's gonna be a huge bitch on veteran lol.

Nah, last level is absurdly easy if you have a half decent sniper. Just protect them and they will solo every phase.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

I finally have a good one! A stalker grabbed me while I was up against the railing on a bridge and his momentum carried me through the geometry, so we were standing on air doing his hostage taker animation like it was looney tunes. After a second or two the game realized where we were and ragdolled both of us into the water

Other than that, has anyone else noticed that the Xbox players tend to be dumb as bricks? I don't mean normal pubbie stupid that's usually them not being a team player. I mean the kind of stupid that will refuse to use free medical cabinets, jump off ledges so they can't be rescued, run away from the safe room after everyone else is in, set off alarms immediately after they're tagged, run away from the group when a set piece horde is triggered, unlock the minigun and place it somewhere useless only to get downed on it, etc. I thought maybe it's been a few standouts that really colored my opinion, but then I checked my B4B friends list and it was all PC and PS5 players, so I had to ask if I'm getting bad matches of it's an actual trend others can see

You aren’t alone. In my experience, Ps5 players are generally competent enough to get by. The Xbox players seem to range from “not a liability” to “I can’t tell if they have brain problems or are stoned to the bone”

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Richard Bong posted:

You aren’t alone. In my experience, Ps5 players are generally competent enough to get by. The Xbox players seem to range from “not a liability” to “I can’t tell if they have brain problems or are stoned to the bone”

The "refuses to use a healing cabinet on recruit despite having so much trauma they die in one hit" seems to be particularly endemic.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Probably one of those things where xbox players are mostly playing it "for free" and have no real investment beyond loving around in it, so there's way more xbox players than anything else

I'll have to make a gif later but before the patch my team was pleading with a guy to please use the healbox with free heals in it and he kept looking at it and turning around and walking away as we all pinged him and the box over and over

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Richard Bong posted:

xbox players can also be pc players, the ui doesn't distinguish between them if they're using xbox gamepass

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

PC Gamepass players are marked as xbox, and gamepass is currently $1 for 3 months, so players marked xbox are effectively free players right now

I was just playing 2 player with 2 bots and some random xbox player Holly, we were on the map where you have to blow up the boat. So we get across the bridge and... they don't loot the explosives. I spent 5 straight minutes pinging the bomb and saying "please pick up this bomb" in chat and over voice but they just kept defending the bridge. I alt-tabbed out and read the forums for 15 minutes while they just stood there in the background and defended the bridge and did nothing else. I alt-tabbed back into take a screenshot to make a post about how there are maybe bots, but right when I did they finally ran over and looted the bomb. I jumped off the bridge with the other bomb then alt-f4'd :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 18, 2021

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just watched this interview with one of the devs and I hate it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N08Mo9pByk

It's a bunch of patting themselves on the back for deciding to use extremely generic solutions to solvable problems. Like they talk about how experienced players follow the same path every run and they needed an awesome way to stop that so they... place loot off of the main path. And they needed a way to make the game feel different every time you play, so they added this awesome system where... random perks spawn in the world.

Like I mean those are fine solutions to those problems but they are the solutions that every game made in the last decade used, how are they your talking points in an interview

The animations are also quite bad looking. Something feels very off with the movement and shooting.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I heard you like razor wire

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 18, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Since I last looked, the game has crated even more playerwise by almost 40% (10k typ Steam down to 6k typ) from merely about 7 days ago. not good for Turtle Rock at this rate. I don't relish in it dying because it does do some stuff fairly alright, but man there's just so many boneheaded design problems, bugs, horrible qp/matchmaking/privacy settings issues, and not good top-down communication to appease people that it's entirely deserved.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Idk I’m still having a lot of fun.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

deep dish peat moss posted:

PC Gamepass players are marked as xbox, and gamepass is currently $1 for 3 months, so players marked xbox are effectively free players right now

I was just playing 2 player with 2 bots and some random xbox player Holly, we were on the map where you have to blow up the boat. So we get across the bridge and... they don't loot the explosives. I spent 5 straight minutes pinging the bomb and saying "please pick up this bomb" in chat and over voice but they just kept defending the bridge. I alt-tabbed out and read the forums for 15 minutes while they just stood there in the background and defended the bridge and did nothing else. I alt-tabbed back into take a screenshot to make a post about how there are maybe bots, but right when I did they finally ran over and looted the bomb. I jumped off the bridge with the other bomb then alt-f4'd :shrug:
Why not just do both bombs yourself? You sure showed him and yourself.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Because I would rather just alt-f4 than do that bomb run twice by myself :v:

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I am enjoying it but the game is hella rough. A lot of bad decisions focused on making the game hard instead of fun and patches for major bugs need to come faster. You can tell there is a really good game in there but I do question if these developers have what it takes to bring it out

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My group beat veteran and had a lot of fun during the process, there were a few really bad levels or card combinations but overall it wasn't too bad. We stepped into nightmare though and just did not have any interest after getting partway through act 1. The difficulty in early chapters is insane when you don't have your cards / good weapons, and pulling an early boss or bad set of mutations just ends the run right there.

There's a ton of good core stuff in the game but between the bugs and raw difficulty it's really holding the whole experience back. They need a 4th difficulty between recruit and vet badly, I know a ton of people that cannot make any progress in vet but find recruit far too easy. Nightmare can be hard but at the moment it often just feels unfun and up to RNG more than it feels hard.

Or you can just speedrun every stage and make 80% of them trivial and have no fun in the process.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna make it a policy to remake if the first level in any given run rolls a boss card or armored zombies, loving poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The 100% accuracy build has evolved into a new kind of bullet wizard.

Get 100% accuracy and 100% reload speed, then take the card that makes secondary weapons have infinite ammo. Also take the card that makes magazine sizes increase when you reload within 0.75 seconds of low ammo. Find a glock and just hold it down full-auto. It's now an infinite ammo SMG with near-instant reloads and perfect accuracy, and best of all the fire animation can't keep up with the glock shooting full-auto so you end up holding the gun at a 45 degree angle while bullets fly straight out of you, like a wizard's staff shooting fireballs or some poo poo.

After that you can take a bunch of stuff with huge penalties to ammo or aim down sights. Since there's a reload speed card that gives -stamina efficiency I added the card that removes sprint but makes backpedal/strafe have no speed penalty and doubled down on things with sprint penalties. I took all 3 cards that increase bullet damage. At the end of the day I have 100% use speed, 100% revive speed, 100% reload speed, 100% accuracy, infinite ammo, do a ton of damage and I never need to shop so I can spend all of my money on team upgrades/healing/random intel/whatever.

Stacking a bunch of use speed makes so many things a joke. Boarding up windows in the church is literally instant, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You might look at fitting in Bomb Squad, as a single card it has to be one of the most powerful options available. It lets you instant delete any mutation with a single frag, and with a build like that tallboys would be your biggest bane due to a lack of raw burst damage.

It also works on propanes and barrels and gas cans which is hilarious because there's so many of those things around.