Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVazE2Ce84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3FWUqhi-g8

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvXEwZ6e_po

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_xnVCBGZ4

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 15, 2021

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Those two come up as "unavailable" in the US, are they geo-limited?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

They're on the YT channel of UKTV (the broadcaster that originally commissioned the show and had the rights from S1 to S9) rather than the official TM channel. I guess that's why they're geo-blocked. I can't find them anywhere else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All these clips really make me miss the live audience and everyone being able to touch/sit on each other. :(

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

stev posted:

All these clips really make me miss the live audience and everyone being able to touch/sit on each other. :(

Good news - live audience is back for Champion of Champions 2 and Series 13. Probably less sitting on each other though...

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've finally caught up with this thread after watching all 12 seasons of UK Taskmaster, plus the 2 NZ seasons, over the last 6 months. UK Season 12 is definitely one of the stronger ones so far, but the one task I've laughed hardest at in the more recent seasons has been the S10 task where the contestants had to make a cocktail without ever producing more than 60dB of noise - and if they did, they had to shout something at over 100dB, throw away their cocktail and start over.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I LOVE THIS

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One week Victoria doesn't know what football is, the next she's casually referencing VAR. What's her game?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I absolutely love Guz

:yeah:

Even in a great season he stands out. He's just so loveable :allears:
I'd probably find Alan disappointing if I didn't already like him from watching tons of QI, but everyone else this season has been fantastic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Justice for Old Goosebump Arms. :colbert:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

stev posted:

One week Victoria doesn't know what football is, the next she's casually referencing VAR. What's her game?

I believe my theory more now

Also hot drat Morgana is amazing

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
*Cold drat

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
What a fun episode tonight. Glad to see some tasks that weren’t overly complicated.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Never had someone having a literal mental breakdown has so much hilarity.

Oh. Ooooooh. Oh. Oh. Ooooh. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oooooh.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Taskmaster is my favorite show that regularly uses a marxophone.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Finals time! Almost time to bid farewell to (four of) our participants. Early on i really had Desiree as my pick to win but she seems out the running now. We still haven't seen whatever Morgana is up to in the title sequence is the bathtub with the balloon, so I guess we find out tonight. Will it be enough to keep Guz and Alan off her back? And can Victoria find 11 points and stay ahead of Katherine Parkinson's series total?

In international news, Croatia is the latest country to join the franchise. Some extremely dark and straight-faced promo material here
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFfMrIwMrFYxKL0nzcs2Xy777bk3zjU8z
First episode went out yesterday, still can't give a first-hand account of it.

I was having a chat with my sister about S12, the jam-spreading task came up and neither of us thought anyone nailed it. I thought it would be really interesting to see Frank Skinner be set that task, he was so collected and self-confident in the way he tackled tasks and I wanted to see what he'd regard as "cool". My sister suggested Bob Mortimer's attempt would be equally interesting, and it's hard to argue against that. So thread, if you could transpose a task to a different series and see a 6th attempt at it, which task would you give and to which different contestant?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'll be surprised if anyone but Morgana wins at this point. She's too good. Too powerful. Too spicy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Heavy_D posted:

I was having a chat with my sister about S12, the jam-spreading task came up and neither of us thought anyone nailed it. I thought it would be really interesting to see Frank Skinner be set that task, he was so collected and self-confident in the way he tackled tasks and I wanted to see what he'd regard as "cool". My sister suggested Bob Mortimer's attempt would be equally interesting, and it's hard to argue against that. So thread, if you could transpose a task to a different series and see a 6th attempt at it, which task would you give and to which different contestant?

For the jam one - James Acaster or Charlotte Ritchie. But really, the answer should usually be Rhod Gilbert.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I’ve decided I’m really pissed off with VCM using all caps to chastise everyone on Twitter as if she’s always hosed about on Only Connect. She never has this much (certainly not clothing), and it’s not surprising that people would ask if it was for Taskmaster.

:colbert:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Amazing how quickly the series go. I feel like I spent more time getting to know the contestants in 1-5 even though they were less episodes.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Wow, great finale. Desiree actually had quite a comeback with two unimpeachable 5 pointers right off the bat, but the gap between first and last was never narrower than 2 points in the remaining three tasks.

While you know that they're always saving a good task for the end, I have to say how much I loved the proposals. Most irresistible is an great superlative for a task, and the five point efforts really nailed that aspect. Guz played to his strengths; he knew he wasn't going to sell it on affection, and when his face in the window turned steely and he revealed the horse head, that was amazing. Morgana really had some thought behind hers, the unspoken idea that it was the irresistible lure of a Siren, turning the tables by giving Alex a task and making him dress up, so much to love. I do think she missed a trick by not popping a balloon and then "popping the question".

Another great live task, one where not having the audience in the room was probably beneficial. All those shots where you could see Greg guessing with the contestant framed behind were beautiful. And Greg just absolutely nailing every single guess on the beatboxing round was incredible, why he's the original and best Taskmaster there is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A fantastic season. Watching VCM melt down was wonderful.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Scores were incredibly tight this time around (except for Victoria).

The ribena task seemed really dumb to me. I was sure anyone could drink something in that way. Apparently not.

The editing on the team of 3 task was sublime. They all fit their roles perfectly, especially Gus.

Proposal task was cute. Morgana managed to be absurd and eerie at the same time. Gus was Gus.

Heavy_D posted:

Another great live task

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watching VCM melt down was wonderful.

Yeah, it was great. Greg identifying Victoria when she was trying to be clever was :discourse:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The second half of this series really picked up the live tasks. They'd clearly been struggling to make them fun and interesting without a live audience but they smashed it. Alan's monster noise is one of the highlights of the series.

I think the drinking task would've been a piece of piss for any dedicated beer drinker. I just tried it with water and other than spilling some down myself it's not that hard.

I'd only actually heard of one of the next series' cast (Bridget Christie - and I barely know of her) and there aren't really any 'big names' but lately the best contestants have been the ones I'm not hugely familiar with so that's fine by me.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Ardal O'Hanlon would be the "big name slightly older comedian" in the coming series, most notably he was Dougal in Father Ted

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ironically he's the only one I don't recognize the name/face of. The rest were either on 8 out of 10 cats, or Mock the Week, or Unbelievable Truth, or w/e.

stev posted:

I think the drinking task would've been a piece of piss for any dedicated beer drinker. I just tried it with water and other than spilling some down myself it's not that hard.

I don't even drink beer and I was thinking "wtf? anyone could do this".

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The new cast looks great, although I barely know Judi Love

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That final task was amazing. Morgana did a very recognisable impression of Victoria with just one bird chirp! A very well earned victory for Morgana, she had a wonderful mix of genuine competitiveness, out of the box thinking, and simply being immensely funny doing anything.

itry posted:

The ribena task seemed really dumb to me. I was sure anyone could drink something in that way. Apparently not.

I'm not a drinker, but I've tried it just now with a glass of cold Ribena, and it's really easy to do if you use your tongue to create a seal between gulps.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm sure I'm the only one, but I really think its time to kill the team task or shake them up somehow by moving the teams around which I know could be difficult due to scheduling and all. Theres always been something about them that I've never liked, even going back to the first season. They feel clunky with uneven teams, which makes it harder to make a task where the extra person isnt giving the team such a massive advantage. Or you just get something lame like Guz sitting off to the side eating chocolate buttons while Desiree and Morgana do the real task, or Morgana just saying a code word or whatever and being done while Desiree and Guz do the code breaking.

Perhaps they could change it up and have 4v1 tasks where each contestant gets a chance to be the 1. I dunno just really not a fan.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 26, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DurosKlav posted:

I'm sure I'm the only one, but I really think its time to kill the team task or shake them up somehow by moving the teams around which I know could be difficult due to scheduling and all. Theres always been something about them that I've never liked, even going back to the first season. They feel clunky with uneven teams, which makes it harder to make a task where the extra person isnt giving the team such a massive advantage. Or you just get something lame like Guz sitting off to the side eating chocolate buttons while Desiree and Morgana do the real task, or Morgana just saying a code word or whatever and being done while Desiree and Guz do the code breaking.

Perhaps they could change it up and have 4v1 tasks where each contestant gets a chance to be the 1. I dunno just really not a fan.

I think it was in S2? Where they brought in Josh Widdicombe to serve as the third to even up the teams during one of the tasks, and I'm not sure why they don't do that more often. I mean it doesn't have to be Josh every time, I imagine he is probably busy, but it would be a good way to bring back popular former contestants for brief appearances while also preventing those awkward "we only really wrote this task for a team of 2" third wheel situations.

Although on the other hand, sometimes the pairings of two people end up making for a very charming team in a way that a team of three can't really do.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There are plenty of times where you don't feel the difference between the groups of 2 and 3, but this was not one of those times.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
perhaps the greatest final task of all time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it was in S2? Where they brought in Josh Widdicombe to serve as the third to even up the teams during one of the tasks, and I'm not sure why they don't do that more often. I mean it doesn't have to be Josh every time, I imagine he is probably busy, but it would be a good way to bring back popular former contestants for brief appearances while also preventing those awkward "we only really wrote this task for a team of 2" third wheel situations.

Although on the other hand, sometimes the pairings of two people end up making for a very charming team in a way that a team of three can't really do.

Al Murray will do every single one.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I think it's been particularly difficult with social distancing to come up with tasks that work just as well with two and three. It's only really been series 10 onwards where the third person gets sidelined while the other two get on with the main task. I do hope that doesn't continue once we get to series filmed after vaccinations.

I'm debating with myself now whether the ribena task was intended to be a tie-breaker, and it got upgraded because so many of them made a meal of it. Apparently it also ties in to an episode of No More Jockeys?

S13 line-up chat: Bridget Christie was a long shot on my Taskmaster wish list, and I was surprised and pleased to see her on the cards. Her stand-up is witty and thoughtful, but she also isn't afraid to get silly as well. Not much of her work on youtube but she has a show on UK Netflix called "Stand Up For Her" (which toured under the name A Bic for Her). Ardal O'Hanlon is probably the most recognisable face on the bill, obviously famous for for playing Dougal in Father Ted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4x6HuqSMdQ

The other three I don't know so well - people have been floating Chris Ramsey as a Taskmaster candidate for a while though, so I imagine he'll fit right in. No idea what to expect from Judi Love and Sophie Duker...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Heavy_D posted:

I'm debating with myself now whether the ribena task was intended to be a tie-breaker, and it got upgraded because so many of them made a meal of it. Apparently it also ties in to an episode of No More Jockeys?

That seems entirely possible, or maybe it works the other way around? All tasks are planned equally but when one turns out to be too dull or too easy they place it in the tiebreaker reserve.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That seems entirely possible, or maybe it works the other way around? All tasks are planned equally but when one turns out to be too dull or too easy they place it in the tiebreaker reserve.

IIRC from the podcast Alex has said they prepare around 5 tiebreakers each series and occasionally they get upgraded to full tasks.

I wonder what would happen if they have so many ties in a series that they run out of tiebreakers. Mud wrestling match?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was such a good finale jesus. Definitely one of my top 3 Taskmaster seasons along with 5 and 7. Victoria was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Escobarbarian posted:

That was such a good finale jesus. Definitely one of my top 3 Taskmaster seasons along with 5 and 7. Victoria was perfect.

Yeah, it makes it even more of a shame that David Mitchell doesn't want to do it. Victoria's so similar to him in how she approaches things that I think his worries about being on the show are unfounded.