Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That scene read more as "scientist who only loves his work" than queer to me, but I can understand why someone would think differently.

Yeah, 100%! That's how I read that scene too. Scientist who only loves his work (and his close platonic friend) is part of why its easy to make an ace reading of Viktor.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

it's not like Riot is being even remotely subtle on the Cait/Vi pairing so it seems unlikely that Viktor was intended to be a super secret gay guy to avoid chinese censorship or something like that.

Interestingly, even if the writers were intending Viktor to be read entirely as straight, and literally every person who worked on Arcane came out and said "yeah, we wrote and designed and animated Viktor to be 1000% heterosexual", that wouldn't invalidate the queer subtext, as authorial intent doesn't invalidate the text. That said, your very likely right with regards to authorial intent (especially the riot CEO types who have control over the highest level of decision making).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It does not help that Viktor/Jayce is one of those popular "tragic" ships people have because of their shared history and intellect. To the point where canonically in the actual written lore (and seemingly true in Arcane as well) they're described as completing one another (from both perspectives) as no-one else can keep up with their work except one another.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rob Filter posted:

Yeah, 100%! That's how I read that scene too. Scientist who only loves his work (and his close platonic friend) is part of why its easy to make an ace reading of Viktor.

Interestingly, even if the writers were intending Viktor to be read entirely as straight, and literally every person who worked on Arcane came out and said "yeah, we wrote and designed and animated Viktor to be 1000% heterosexual", that wouldn't invalidate the queer subtext, as authorial intent doesn't invalidate the text. That said, your very likely right with regards to authorial intent (especially the riot CEO types who have control over the highest level of decision making).

That's fair, and I can certainly understand people wanting to see more representation!

At least it doesn't seem as bad as the star wars sequels where suddenly Finn developed a severe case of the not gays and they just sorta.. shoe horned in a relationship

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"Here Finn, have another minority for your straight romance, don't be getting any ideas over that white lady."

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I binged all six episodes over the past two days, and I absolutely love this poo poo. Can't get enough of it. I don't care about League of Legends, have never played a game of it, but this is a story, world, and characters I care about. It doesn't hurt that the animation is top notch, the music is interesting and evocative, and the voice acting is incredible. All that's left for them to do is stick the landing. I really hope they're able to.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://imgur.com/a/omGmCEj

Here is an album of 4k upscaled stills from the show

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
it's ridiculous how well each of those stills hold up as a piece of stand-alone art

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

In stills it just looks like some insane concept art, crazy that you can actually watch it move

also lol

https://twitter.com/TFT/status/1461393777646616579

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I could go back and re watch it but are we sure he wasn’t reacting to the dude that just got thrown out?

He isn't, but part 2 makes it evident that she knew Vander and the kids personally and was clearly just pulling Claggor's chain.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That scene read more as "scientist who only loves his work" than queer to me, but I can understand why someone would think differently.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I'm autistic and have ADHD, and I have plenty of days where I get so involved in trying to solve a particular problem or finish working on something that it'd take a crowbar to get me out of my seat.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Jerkface posted:

In stills it just looks like some insane concept art, crazy that you can actually watch it move

also lol

https://twitter.com/TFT/status/1461393777646616579

https://twitter.com/NetflixFR/status/1461279180394582018

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going through a rewatch with my wife and realized they didn't do Claggor wrong in any way which I think goes back to my point about not-doing the standard Hollywood tropes because most animated tv shows would have used a super heavy-set person as comedic relief but not only does he accomplish the same things as the other kids, but he's pretty much good in a fight & respected by the Dad figure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Asema posted:

Going through a rewatch with my wife and realized they didn't do Claggor wrong in any way which I think goes back to my point about not-doing the standard Hollywood tropes because most animated tv shows would have used a super heavy-set person as comedic relief but not only does he accomplish the same things as the other kids, but he's pretty much good in a fight & respected by the Dad figure.

Yeah. I was a bit irritated at first when he ate the cupcakes because FAT GUY LIKES TO EAT but then he's like doing fireman's carry throws on punks like two scenes later. My only problem (it's not a problem) is I kind of wish we could have seen more positive interactions between Jinx and Powder with the boys to hammer it being a family home more?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 18, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah the cupcake thing is really the only joke they make and frankly... those cupcakes looked delicious I do not blame him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I saw those cupcakes my first thought was that I'd be furious if nobody ate one.

And yeah, him hurking his opponent up and powerbombing him during the fight ruled.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Claggor is indeed cool and good, and the only bad thing about the cupcakes is that it isn't confirmed that Caitlyn made them.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Honestly Claggor gave me pretty strong Wedge from FF7R Vibes, but with even less Standard Fatphobic Humor. He's just a tough bruiser of a kid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly Claggor gave me pretty strong Wedge from FF7R Vibes, but with even less Standard Fatphobic Humor. He's just a tough bruiser of a kid.

In that final encounter, when he noticed the wall behind them was crumbling and said "I'm going to get us out of here," I was like, gently caress yeah! Then everything went to poo poo. :(

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jetrauben posted:

Truthfully speaking the voice actor sounded like Badger from breaking bad which I think also does Wedge from FF7R but then I looked it up and it wasn't him

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that I liked about the cupcake joke was that the joke wasn't that he likes food, the joke was that he was casually able to grab the cupcake while doing the parkour with so little effort that there wasn't even time to show it onscreen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2657260174

Nice animated wallpaper if you use wallpaper engine

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that I liked about the cupcake joke was that the joke wasn't that he likes food, the joke was that he was casually able to grab the cupcake while doing the parkour with so little effort that there wasn't even time to show it onscreen.

I mean, it's both.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
twitch stream is up

The waiting screen was showing tweeted art with arcane-related tags, and a lot of it was very suggestive Vi x Caitlyn art. They turned it off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gobbeldygook posted:

twitch stream is up

The waiting screen was showing tweeted art with arcane-related tags, and a lot of it was very suggestive Vi x Caitlyn art. They turned it off.

I joke to people about Riot having infinite money, but jesus christ Riot has infinite money.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gobbeldygook posted:

They turned it off.

Cowards

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

I joke to people about Riot having infinite money, but jesus christ Riot has infinite money.

they make like 2 billion in revenue a year and they've done it for a decade plus.

They have a huge coffer

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I watched the first 3 episodes earlier in the week and wasn’t sure if I liked it because I used to stay up until 2am playing LoL 10 years ago, or because it was a genuinely good show, but after finishing episodes 4-6, it’s clearly both. I was skeptical about Riot’s ability to expand into other mediums/genres of games, but this was fantastic. It also makes Dota Dragon’s blood look like something a kid whipped up on their own for their portfolio, rather than an earnest attempt to expand the game world beyond the game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Saw the ending of the show tonight. I haven’t watched the rest of the show, but the ending is cool.

1stGear posted:

As someone who has been working this show, it is insane how expensive this must have been.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah I don't doubt that they spend 6 years making 3 films worth of movie quality animation and spent every bit as much as Disney and Pixar and Dreamworks (RIP) do.

Well they only rendered it at 1080p so maybe that saved some money but not much.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 20, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Currently watching the final episode set.

:stonk:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a loving ending.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Goddamn, I really hope they are not gonna make us wait another 6 years for the next act :stare:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I really cant see how they can avoid making a second season.

Show good.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Dude that ending loving banged

I wasn't expecting them to set up for season 2 so aggressively but I'm both amped for it and surprised by how much material they managed to give themselves to work with for it

cait and vi not kissing is suboptimal but again, season 2

oh also the ending of episode 7 was loving SICK holy poo poo

e: oh i forgot to mention and might as well gush more before i go to bed, but oh my god that warwick teaser

Monicro fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 20, 2021

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
also

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That ending is NOT loving FAIR

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

SirSamVimes posted:

That ending is NOT loving FAIR

It's loving Halo 2 all over again! :argh:

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Really strong ending, looking forward to the next season.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel kind of amusingly vindicated, what with (episode 9 post-ending spoiler thoughts) Singed arguably being the only true villain in the show, almost everything that goes wrong for the Zaunite characters goes back to Singed. Viktor's mentality comes from meeting Singed, Silco's power is built off of Singed's chemicals, Jinx's madness was exacerbated heavily by Singed's healing method. Dr Warcrimes is the true villain (also hi Vander/Warwick glad you exist).

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I find it kind of interesting the way Silco and Mel developed in these last episodes. Based on everything Silco did in earlier acts and how he was presented, I thought he would betray Jinx in the end. But no, when it came to Jinx he loved her just as much as Vander did. He was undoubtedly a villain, but he meant everything he said. Hell, his epiphany about Vander and family before Jinx grabs him might have eventually led him to become a Vanderlike figure. Too bad Jinx was by that point too hosed up to realize that Silco was about to come to a decision that he wasn't going to sellout his family even for his ultimate goal. I also noticed that Jinx/Powder not getting the full context for a situation and imagining the worst happened in every act, and each time it happened, it was a little worse each time, culminating in the last scene.

Mel also appeared to be this villainous manipulator for most of acts 1 and 2, and then act 3 reveals that no, she was genuine all along. Not quite sure what to think of that. Its interesting at least. She just might be dead now, unless that weird shimmer in the armor plates embedded into her skin does something. I think its most likely that she dies and becomes a motivator for her mother to stick around and bring in more Noxus stuff, and potentially to do something to save Jayce even if most of the rest of the council die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Really great ending, Holy poo poo. I'm a bit annoyed by the cliffhanger instead of epilogue resolution, but I'll take it if we get a 2nd season of the same caliber. I was hoping they'd resolve it and then just set season 2 in Noxus, and thar can lead to a season 3 in Demacia or something.