Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1461420449733218317

They are so bad at communication.

This makes the protection sound much worse than it is for a couple of reason. They should have rolled the infection ratio into the other two. People on Twitter, even serious journalists, are going to think that vaccinated people are dying at three times the ratio they actually are.

At least as bad is that these are crude rates, not adjusted for independent risk factors of the groups. Unvaccinated people skew younger. They’re starting from a better baseline, once again making vaccines look worse than they are at protecting any individual person.

That's so crap. It boggles the mind this probably went through teams of people before being posted. 100% the idea that it's 50/50 whether you end up in hospital vacced or unvacced is going round facebook right now. (I know that's not even what it doesn't say, I just have enough experience seeing how some people parse these things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Just need health insurers to start charging the unvaccinated more. Ours already does this for smoking.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Knowing that it exists is not the same as having a full understanding of how it's going to affect things here in the United States or that it will even make it here in the first place. Plenty of variants have only shown up regionally and quickly died out before spreading to other areas.

How exactly did I understand better than the CDC how things were going to progress? Like, if you are right it's a pretty horrific condemnation of the CDC because i'm an untrained idiot and it was clear as day what would happen.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

dwarf74 posted:

Just need health insurers to start charging the unvaccinated more. Ours already does this for smoking.

I mean, I always figured that was gonna be the endgame; why should Blue Cross voluntarily choose to pay for a six-figure ER stay out of the goodness of their heart for some idiot that chose that outcome instead of going into walmart twice to get a vaccine

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Convinced mom to get booster. Didn’t have to go very far into my prepared nbullet point list.
:toot:

I wish everyone else the best of luck prodding their family and friends to getting the Fauci Ouchie.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Craig K posted:

I mean, I always figured that was gonna be the endgame; why should Blue Cross voluntarily choose to pay for a six-figure ER stay out of the goodness of their heart for some idiot that chose that outcome instead of going into walmart twice to get a vaccine

Because if they do they will draw the attention of the antivax's political backers like DeSantis. The insurers can just charge everyone more becuase whose going to come in to protect a much smaller group of vaccinated patients hospitalized due to a breakthrough case.

pigz fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 19, 2021

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Convinced mom to get booster. Didn’t have to go very far into my prepared nbullet point list.
:toot:

I wish everyone else the best of luck prodding their family and friends to getting the Fauci Ouchie.

I'm kinda going the other way and divesting to the extent i can.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Rosalind posted:

I personally find the talk of a COVID zero strategy via extremely strict lockdowns, enforced quarantines, and mandatory test-and-trace in the US exhausting for the reasons described--it just isn't ever going to happen with the current situation of the US politically. Endlessly posting in this thread about how these interventions would solve all our problems, while perhaps true, only serves to derail conversation from more grounded discussions.

It's fascinating to watch Americans in this thread demand it, within their already completely broken country, when Australia and New Zealand have been forced to admit defeat when they both had way, way more public backing for COVID-zero as a policy over the past 18 months. Running a country is not an RTS game where the citizens are all automatons who exist only to marshal resources and achieve an optimal result.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Today marks the 20th month anniversary of when I stopped listening to a single thing the CDC had to say about COVID and I'm proud to say that I'm COVID free to this day as a result

Insurance charges going up for unvaccinated isn't gonna change poo poo, because people in this country think private insurance is the best thing in the world until they have to interact with it when they realize it's a nightmare, and at no point can they change anything about it even a little bit by any means so the 2nd thing they find out is that whatever they think doesn't matter

There's one country left pursuing the policy they want and they have public opinion behind it. Their remaining task is monitoring shores for US intel agencies landing submarine based squads to spread the disease to undermine them like we did in Cuba. Crying about COVID Zero in the US lol, what wonderful hypotheticals

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Epic High Five posted:

Today marks the 20th month anniversary of when I stopped listening to a single thing the CDC had to say about COVID and I'm proud to say that I'm COVID free to this day as a result

Insurance charges going up for unvaccinated isn't gonna change poo poo, because people in this country think private insurance is the best thing in the world until they have to interact with it when they realize it's a nightmare, and at no point can they change anything about it even a little bit by any means so the 2nd thing they find out is that whatever they think doesn't matter

I suspect there are also plenty of people who ignored the CDC and ended up with COVID, or who followed the CDC and did not get COVID. For a thread so fixated on RCTs and robust evidence, attributing your lack of COVID to stopping listening to the CDC seems a bit of a stretch.

I agree that insurance charges probably won't have much effect beyond the margins, though. That said, the US should be taking any marginal effects they can get.

quote:

There's one country left pursuing the policy they want and they have public opinion behind it. Their remaining task is monitoring shores for US intel agencies landing submarine based squads to spread the disease to undermine them like we did in Cuba. Crying about COVID Zero in the US lol, what wonderful hypotheticals

:wtc:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I have been listening to the CDC for the past 20 months and I can also proudly say that I am covid-free. Happy day.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

I have been listening to the CDC for the past 20 months and I can also proudly say that I am covid-free. Happy day.

Huh. I have been selectively utilizing what CDC advice seemed beneficial and i, too, am covid free as of this morning's test.

It appears from this small sample of results that the CDC advice is irrelevant.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Is it still 2-ish weeks for antibodies to build up to "maximum" levels after the booster shot?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Abner Assington posted:

Is it still 2-ish weeks for antibodies to build up to "maximum" levels after the booster shot?
Around there

https://www.fda.gov/media/153482/download
https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.10.10.21264827
Small study, only ~50 people in each arm. Standard caveats about how humoral immunity is not all of, or even the most important part of, overall acquired immune reaction

(e: I have no idea why I decided to highlight Pfizer primary with moderna booster in particular)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Why is it using 100-mcg for Moderna booster?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OddObserver posted:

... Why is it using 100-mcg for Moderna booster?

Because it’s an independent trial that ran concurrently with Moderna’s own trial of fifty microgram boosters.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I mean we're millions of posts into this and doesn't it all basically boil down to...get the vaccine, get the booster, and then calibrate where your risk tolerance sits between never leaving the house and wearing a full respirator in bed and sucking and loving a stranger in a festival toilet and act accordingly.

Admittedly I'm in Australia and I'd be calibrating differently if I lived in Jacksonville, Florida. But I'm vaccinated, I'll get the booster, i mask up if i feel the need and I'll go to a pub if it ain't to busy but not a heaving flesh pit with no windows.

That's basically all we can do.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Got some questions, folks.

- my mom, who was in india took covaxine, which as far as i know, is the indian label for astrazeneca. the boosters were have in the u.s. are only for pfizer, moderna, and J&J. is it okay if she gets a booster with one of these vaccines?
- i got my pfizer jabs back in april/may, and i'm an otherwise healthy 37 year old dude. should i get the boosters as well?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Interweb posted:

- my mom, who was in india took covaxine, which as far as i know, is the indian label for astrazeneca. the boosters were have in the u.s. are only for pfizer, moderna, and J&J. is it okay if she gets a booster with one of these vaccines?

The UK does it. Pharmacologically, it’s fine

Where she may run into problems is that the emergency use authorization of the three vaccines available in the United States only permit them to be given as boosters for themselves or “another authorized COVID-19 vaccine”.

quote:

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine formulations that use Tris and PBS buffers (each 0.3 mL dose containing 30 μg modRNA) covered by this authorization will be administered by vaccination providers and used only to prevent COVID-19 in individuals 12 years of age and older with a two-dose primary regimen (3 weeks apart) and to provide:
  • a third primary series dose at least 28 days following the second dose to individuals 12 years of age or older who have undergone solid organ transplantation, or who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have an equivalent level of immunocompromise;
  • a single booster dose at least 6 months after completion of a primary series of the vaccine to individuals: 65 years of age or older; 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19; and 18 through 64 years of age with frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2;
  • a single booster dose as a heterologous booster dose following completion of primary vaccination with another authorized COVID-19 vaccine, where the eligible population(s) and dosing interval for the heterologous booster dose are the same as those authorized for a booster dose of the vaccine used for primary vaccination;

So she won’t be getting a “booster”.

Pfizer’s vaccine is fully FDA-approved, so she could convince a doctor to prescribe her that using their professional judgement.

Alternatively, she could be treated as not vaccinated at all, because she isn’t, legally speaking, in the United States. So she starts a primary course of one of the approved vaccines. From their she could either skip out on the second shot (assuming she doesn’t get Janssen), or get it as scheduled. Consider that the second shot may become necessary for travel, employment, etc. at places that do not recognize Covaxin.

People in the AstraZeneca trial in the U.S. had basically this problem when travelling to Europe. They held real CDC cards with their AstraZeneca information on it, but Immigrations only recognized U.S.‐approved vaccines. This is despite that fact that AstraZeneca vaccines were recognized for UK citizens.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Got some questions, folks.

- i got my pfizer jabs back in april/may, and i'm an otherwise healthy 37 year old dude. should i get the boosters as well?

Covishield is the Indian version of AZ. Covaxin is an unrelated inactivated virus vaccine.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 19, 2021

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Mr Interweb posted:

As I feel like it's been with the vaccines from the get-go, if it's available to you in your area, then take it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Interweb posted:

The U.S. has plenty of supply and much of it is going to waste.

Vaccine efficacy declines at any age. It’s just slower for younger adults.

You will be protecting not just yourself, but also others, because if your antibodies neutralize the virus, you will be unable to pass it on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

freebooter posted:

It's fascinating to watch Americans in this thread demand it, within their already completely broken country, when Australia and New Zealand have been forced to admit defeat when they both had way, way more public backing for COVID-zero as a policy over the past 18 months. Running a country is not an RTS game where the citizens are all automatons who exist only to marshal resources and achieve an optimal result.

Didn't you know, there's only two countries in the world, the United States and China?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Didn't you know, there's only two countries in the world, the United States and China?

Well, he did mention two other countries in the two-sentence post you quoted.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

freebooter posted:

ugh, I guess I'll have to drag the lockdown slider all the way to "weld everyone in their houses for two months"

there goes my achievement run. i was really hoping Australia or New Zealand could unlock "zero COVID" but it looks like China is the only nation to successfully eradicate the virus

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Me in lockdown: zugzug

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

The U.S. has plenty of supply and much of it is going to waste.

There is weird myths that vaccine is being just poured down drains in large amounts but that is not actually a thing,

15 million doses have been wasted, but ~450 million doses have been delivered. It’s like 3% loss. The “vaccine programs are in shambles!” Stories are fun, but they manage that stuff pretty tightly.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Smoking was specifically carved out as one of the very few exceptions in the ACA to requiring the same premiums for everyone in a plan, regardless of health status and pre-existing conditions. Getting covid vaccination status in there would require a law amending the ACA. We all know the issues with that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

ugh, I guess I'll have to drag the lockdown slider all the way to "weld everyone in their houses for two months"

there goes my achievement run. i was really hoping Australia or New Zealand could unlock "zero COVID" but it looks like China is the only nation to successfully eradicate the virus

I can't understand why the people I've ordered locked into their homes for four months have started sneaking out after curfew - and wtf do you mean a country with 50,000 active and reserve soldiers can't "deliver food" to 25 million citizens in a continent-sized country? Furthermore, why are those 21-year-old reservists hanging out face to face on the barracks and removing their masks to smoke and drink and talk poo poo and also nipping off home to have sex with their girlfriends when the orders specifically forbade this?!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is weird myths that vaccine is being just poured down drains in large amounts but that is not actually a thing,

15 million doses have been wasted, but ~450 million doses have been delivered. It’s like 3% loss. The “vaccine programs are in shambles!” Stories are fun, but they manage that stuff pretty tightly.

You’re projecting.

I mention the waste not to criticize the professionals, but to encourage anyone who may have misplaced concerns about their worthiness to come and take it.

There are one hundred and fifteen million doses in refrigerators and freezers at administration sites right now, with more in the pipeline. America hasn’t been supply‐limited for more than six months.

The wasteage is an expected and accepted consequence of the national policy to vaccinate as many willing people as possible, even end‐of‐day walk‐ins.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/downloads/wastage-operational-summary.pdf posted:

As access to COVID-19 vaccine increases, it is important for providers to not miss any opportunity to vaccinate every eligible person who presents at vaccine clinics. We recognize that as we continue to create more opportunities to vaccinate more people, it may increase the likelihood of leaving unused doses in a vial. While we want to continue to follow best practices to use every dose possible, we do not want that to be at the expense of missing an opportunity to vaccinate every eligible person when they are ready to get vaccinated.

quote:

Providers should not miss any opportunities to vaccinate every eligible person who presents at a vaccination site, even if it means puncturing a multidose vial to administer vaccine without having enough people available to receive each dose.

And just for trivia, the most current public figure is that four point eight percent of all delivered doses have been wasted.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

You’re projecting.

I mention the waste not to criticize the professionals, but to encourage anyone who may have misplaced concerns about their worthiness to come and take it.

You said “much of it is going to waste.” Why lie?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You said “much of it is going to waste.” Why lie?

Why are you like this?

It’s not a lie to say that tens of millions of a thing is “much”, or to say that four point eight percent of a thing is much.

Would you describe “much of America’s money goes to the military” as a lie?

The difference between subjective and objective statements is like third grade stuff.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If you said that 4.8% of anything I produced in any industry I'd ever worked in was going to waste (and I used to work in ag) I'd say "wow that's pretty loving good"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:yeah:

Shrinkage of one in twenty is a good showing, given the constraints under which pharmacists labor.

I’m sure nations with national healthcare systems are doing better, but with the U.S. patchwork, it could be worse.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

:yeah:

Shrinkage of one in twenty is a good showing, given the constraints under which pharmacists labor.

I’m sure nations with national healthcare systems are doing better, but with the U.S. patchwork, it could be worse.

Yep sorry if I'd bothered to scroll up I would've realised you weren't decrying logistical failure but rather urging people to get their guilt-free boosters, my bad

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Are they? Is that claim based on anything? Loss of less than 5% on something extremely perishable is very good.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are they? Is that claim based on anything? Loss of less than 5% on something extremely perishable is very good.

It varies wildly up here in Canada. Supposedly Nova Scotia has disposed of 0.6% of doses but Alberta has wasted 10%. Overall national average is around 2.6%

http://globalnews.ca/news/8386244/one-million-covid-19-vaccine-doses-wasted-canada/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s official.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Expands Eligibility for COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters

quote:

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration amended the emergency use authorizations (EUA) for both the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines authorizing use of a single booster dose for all individuals 18 years of age and older after completion of primary vaccination with any FDA-authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will meet later today to discuss further clinical recommendations.

Pfizer | Moderna

e: I should mention that boosters have been approved for all recipients of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine since October twentieth.

Basically the only people this doesn’t apply to are under the age of eighteen—yes, even the sixteen– and seventeen‐year‐olds who have been eligible for Pfizer’s shot since the original EUA of December 2020, though of course a quarter of them have aged into the approved range by booster time anyway.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 19, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stereotype posted:

That’s how many die from drunk driving every year. Are you saying that dunk driving is okay?

Nobody is saying drunken driving is good but we will have to learn to live with it. Drunken driving helps many people get to work on time and people want to get back to living their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
OK, serious question. This isn't intended to be inflammatory even though, this thread:

With boosters for all adults likely getting CDC approval next week, what has changed in the past two months to change course from the original, age/vulnerable population recommendation? Is it data? Is it all political? Is it in response to a lower-than-expected population obtaining boosters due to misunderstood requirements and artificial gatekeeping?

Two months ago the booster bandits here were criticized for not following the science. But if the science (data) hasn't changed in the past two months, then how is it fair to criticize them now?

Alternatively, if the data suggests we all need another booster six months from now, why shouldn't I bandit one if the CDC is going to eventually, come out with a late recommendation?

Personally I'm generally OK following guidelines but I'm still thinking about my MiL who was turned away by her regular pharmacist two weeks ago despite qualifying, and if it wasn't at our insistence wouldn't seek one now.

I didn't mention it before, but coincidentally the day before my MiL tried to get her booster she had to bury her mother who just died from COVID (and very suddenly too). So to have that happen and then be told the very next day "no, you don't need this" by your pharmacist and ultimately government, only to be told "oops!" two weeks later, that's a serious mental toll.