Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Angry_Ed posted:

This has also happened to me on occasion but also could be even stranger at times

When I used to work at Best Buy I would occasionally go to the Target next door on my breaks. Somehow, perhaps colorblindness, despite my bright blue work shirt someone asked if I worked at Target

In my 20s when I went to a bookstore I frequently got mistaken for an employee since I wore all black, had a dude ponytail, and constantly looked disaffected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hwurmp posted:

when I was very small I had an incredibly bitter argument with another boy about whether a nearby piece of construction equipment was a front loader or a backhoe

I goddamn knew I was right

One loads in the front, the other pulls things back. Seems straightforward.

When they were expanding a mountain road near me I got to drive past some absolutely massive bits of equipment. Backhoe shovels you could fit multiple cars into, a pair of treads so large that moving it down the road took three of the four lanes. Really neat to see those in the distance and then perspective shifts. The treads were being moved in the middle of the night so it had the added effect of seeing the lights and then you start to see enough pieces to put things together but never the whole thing at once.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

i had no idea Janis was a triage nurse!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

riderchop posted:

i had no idea Janis was a triage nurse!!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
well what's her job!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

riderchop posted:

well what's her job!

Is it, or was it just part of the joke about Arlo complaining about his issues? I'm pretty sure she just had the standard comic office job before retirement.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Donacfunny (Online Animals)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm really enjoying this storyline of Jeremy getting into buying vinyl so that he has something to talk to his Dad about. It's sweet and it also makes sense for both characters. I know we've called Zits the anti-Dustin for a while but this one really highlights it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In Zits the family might have disagreements but you can tell they really love each other.

In Dustin, the three others despise Dustin, and that is how they love each other and not him.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Connie and Walt never sneer and Ed and that terrible girl do it all the time. That is not sympathetic behavior.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In Zits the family might have disagreements but you can tell they really love each other.

In Dustin, the three others despise Dustin, and that is how they love each other and not him.

Incorrect; nobody in Dustin is capable of love.

I've been thrown lately by how many of these Far Side panels I have simply never seen before, and I had a bunch of the books (though never picked up the fancy two-volume complete anthology.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "388 - Jucika, Her Husband And The Charwoman"

"389 - Jucika And The Film Star"

A bold man.

These strips are a bit :ohdear: reading them in order, though Jucika and Husband being flirtatious, high energy, high drama people seems only natural because they are.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I've been thrown lately by how many of these Far Side panels I have simply never seen before, and I had a bunch of the books (though never picked up the fancy two-volume complete anthology.)

I feel that way but I probably was beholden to desk calendars and reprints. I did look at some of the collections tho.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

It's barrels all the way down, Pig.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

The little motion swish on the pointer makes this one.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! December 6, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True December 31, 1918

Gay and Her Gang January 2, 1930

Oaky Doaks June 3, 1936

Mopsy August 11, 1937

Up Front September 14, 1944

Dark Laughter October 8, 1949

HO HUM April 18, 1957

Wee Pals February 23, 1966

Dogbert August 29, 1966

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter October 8, 1949

Still going to be a few more years until the Dodgers win the World Series, but at least next season Vin Scully starts calling games.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

howe_sam posted:

Still going to be a few more years until the Dodgers win the World Series, but at least next season Vin Scully starts calling games.

He teams up with Red Barber, who'd been calling 'em for the Dodgers for a decade at that point, and then it's truly time for Dodger baseball. I love watching Bootsie and the whole neighborhood following the team.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Mar 6, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 7-8, 1990)

A+ Calvin face here. :discourse:

No Blind Alley today

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

That dog looks like it used to get work in Achewood and has moved on to appearing in other comics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

two vast and trunkless legs of stone stand in the desert. near them, on the sand, half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose open eyes, and protruding tongue, and drool of hot passion tell that its sculptor well those passions read. which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things, the hand that mocked them and the heart that fed: and on the pedestal these words appear: my name is jack, walker of dogs; look on my buns ye prudes and despair!

Bogor

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I feel that the awfulness of how the other characters treat Dustin distracts from the even more awful rest of the comic. I'm still baffled that the one last week where the punchline was "women are so vain that they will literally starve themselves to wear an article of clothing isn't that funny" made it to press.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Just some good old-fashioned relatable content about having a wife with an eating disorder.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Dustin features terrible people being lovely to each other and it's never funny.

The Lockhorns features terrible people being various degrees of lovely to each other, yet it manages to at least be chuckleworthy.

I wonder what the difference is.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cobalt-60 posted:

Dustin features terrible people being lovely to each other and it's never funny.

The Lockhorns features terrible people being various degrees of lovely to each other, yet it manages to at least be chuckleworthy.

The Lockhorns are written like actual human beings. Unlike a right winger's mouth pieces and punching bags.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cobalt-60 posted:

Unlike Dustin, the Lockhorns isn’t written by a far right political cartoonist.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Slammy posted:

Up Front September 14, 1944

a reference to the Warsaw uprising, Slovakian uprising, Romanian coup, Bulgarian coup, or?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Unlike Dustin, the Lockhorns isn’t written by a far right political cartoonist.

It's also an even relationship, both people get as many digs in on each other as the other. There's no lopsided power dynamic and it's not everyone largely ganging up on one person.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HAIR DRYERS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

GOODNIGHT!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zerilan posted:

It's also an even relationship, both people get as many digs in on each other as the other. There's no lopsided power dynamic and it's not everyone largely ganging up on one person.

It's like two bulls with their horns locked in a evenly matched struggle but it's never outright hateful or ugly. e; OH poo poo I GET THE TITLE NOW

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I never would have figured out such an obscure and unknown character if it wasn't spelled out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 12, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 12, 2000)

Garfield Classic (February 12, 1990)