Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
quick! into the Turdus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the garden, I always watch out for anything with species name "foetida", which pretty much speaks for itself. There is at least one "foetidissima".

Two rose species that are in commercial trade are Rosa foetida and Rosa spinosissima. R. foetida has absolutely gorgeous yellow blooms, and there's a cultivar, 'Austrian copper', that has glorious orange-red blooms with yellow backs.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Recent critters, great and small.

One of my strawberries arrived with a mass of hexagonal eggs on it, so I held onto them to see what would happen. A bunch of tiny beetles emerged, clung together in a ball, and died in fairly short order. I assume they weren't from around here and didn't care for the climate or food options.

I somehow unbookmared this thread and this reply is extremely late, sorry.

Those are stink bugs, Pentatomidae. Fun thing about their behaviour is that females lays eggs in multiples of seven. There are some hatchlings covering a few eggs, so I can't count them all , but there are probably 28 eggs = 7 * 4 on that strawberry.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I really enjoy trying to find out the etymology of scientific names :)

Enfys posted:

I have a soft spot for the wren, Troglodytes troglodytes

This is an odd one, since it means "cave dweller". Twice. Could be because they build nests like this, a dome of moss with an entrance hole on the side.

McGavin posted:

I feel sorry for the Eurasian Eagle-owl, Bubo bubo.

This is an onomatopoeic name, which means that it imitates the sound of the animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeYaKGOGBpk

Yeah, that's about right.

Both these were named by Carl Linneaus in 1758. He knew Latin and Greek and had a sense of humor.

McGavin posted:

The great grey owl probably has the coolest Latin name though: Strix nebulosa.

nebulosa means 'foggy' or 'clouded'. It's probably a description of the patterns on the feathers.

Tree Bucket posted:

The wedge-tailed eagle gets Aquila Audax, which sounds pretty rad.

audax means 'bold', like the jumping spider that was in the title of a previous iteration of this thread Phidippus audax

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Latin explainer has logged in.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

McGavin posted:

The Latin explainer has logged in.

Ah, got a Greek guy over here

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Inspector Hound posted:

Ah, got a Greek guy over here

Bugeranus is Greek

"ox-crane"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Bugeranus is Greek

"ox-crane"

Of course Bugeranus is Greek. I've seen 300.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

axolotl farmer posted:

I really enjoy trying to find out the etymology of scientific names :)

I've been wondering about this- a lot of scientific names are Greek words Latinified. (It should be Tyrannosauros not Tyrannosaurus!) Is there a reason for that? Are there not enough latin words available? Does greek sound better? What's going on?!?

e: a favourite bit of etymology is the kookaburra, dacelo- it's just an anagram of the latin for kingfisher, alcedo...

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 29, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Apparently it's words from whatever language Latinified

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

axolotl farmer posted:

I somehow unbookmared this thread and this reply is extremely late, sorry.

Those are stink bugs, Pentatomidae. Fun thing about their behaviour is that females lays eggs in multiples of seven. There are some hatchlings covering a few eggs, so I can't count them all , but there are probably 28 eggs = 7 * 4 on that strawberry.

Thanks! At least they didn't smell up the place.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Big worm

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Worms are so weird.

My bird feeder is doing business with the colder weather. Nothing unusual for my region, but having a house wren for a regular visitor is new for me. I've also attracted goldfinches, red-bellied woodpeckers, either a downy or a hairy woodpecker (I can never tell them apart at a glance), chickadees, cardinals, titmice, a pair of juncos, and so so many blue jays. I've had 5 blue jays at the feeders at once.

I love birds! :allears:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
so from the few posts I've had in here. I have crows. I feed them in the front yard on my sidewalk with peanuts.

It's gotten to the point where they'll fly over and land on the power lines when I open the front door in the morning. Normally, around 0830-0900. Cool, cool.

But there is like a rogue crow, that comes into my backyard, early around 0730-0800. Right outside my bedroom window, in the back of the house. And just will not shush their crow mouth. Just constant cawing, that if I've deciphered from the internet, means irritation.

I know they're smart as poo poo, but... have they figured out I sleep in the back of my house, and are waking me up to feed them in the front of the house?? I wouldn't put anything past them, but knowing where I sleep inside my house ... i just don't know, man.

I love them and I'm glad they come around. but .. are they peeking in the windows, or something?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

blight rhino posted:

so from the few posts I've had in here. I have crows. I feed them in the front yard on my sidewalk with peanuts.

It's gotten to the point where they'll fly over and land on the power lines when I open the front door in the morning. Normally, around 0830-0900. Cool, cool.

But there is like a rogue crow, that comes into my backyard, early around 0730-0800. Right outside my bedroom window, in the back of the house. And just will not shush their crow mouth. Just constant cawing, that if I've deciphered from the internet, means irritation.

I know they're smart as poo poo, but... have they figured out I sleep in the back of my house, and are waking me up to feed them in the front of the house?? I wouldn't put anything past them, but knowing where I sleep inside my house ... i just don't know, man.

I love them and I'm glad they come around. but .. are they peeking in the windows, or something?
I bet they have figured that out, yes.

I wonder if the time change screwed up that one crow. It still thinks 7:30 is 8:30.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

I bet they have figured that out, yes.

I wonder if the time change screwed up that one crow. It still thinks 7:30 is 8:30.

that could explain it. but if they legit figured out I sleep in the backside of the house, even though I feed them in the front side. That's insane. And awesome

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

blight rhino posted:

Could be. I had scrub jays at my last place that would yell at me until I gave them peanuts, but not super early in the morning.

At my current place the birds are generally more polite and don't yell. The scrub jays know if my front blinds are open it might be possible to ask for peanuts, and will come to the tree outside my window to peer inside to see if I'm at my desk. The crows are a little more polite and standoffish, usually, and will land on a phone line in my field of view most of the time to more subtly ask, but will land in the tree sometimes, too. The Steller's are a wild card and don't show up as often, but they'll come right up to the window and would probably ring the doorbell if they could figure it out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I've been visiting the forest just out of town for about a year now, and this is the first time I've spotted this beastie! Maybe a metre long, or a bit over?
I would've liked a better photo, but he didn't like having me nearby, so I had to leave him be.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Is that a goanna?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yep! Varanus varius/lace monitor/tree goanna, probably.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bee or bee mimic? Perth WA, best shot I could get, the legs were dangling and laden with pollen.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Caught a peregrine having lunch while walking my dog. The lighting was terrible and it was way up a tree, but I did what I could. Shame I didn't get one of the magpie chasing it off.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Caught a peregrine having lunch while walking my dog. The lighting was terrible and it was way up a tree, but I did what I could. Shame I didn't get one of the magpie chasing it off.

It’s hard for me to judge scale here but I’m pretty sure that’s a Merlin and not a Peregrine.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

BetterLekNextTime posted:

It’s hard for me to judge scale here but I’m pretty sure that’s a Merlin and not a Peregrine.

You're probably right, we have those around as well. I just see the peregrines a lot more often so I assumed.

...or maybe they're all merlins?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The size difference is usually pretty apparent if you can figure out the scale. Merlins are about the size of a Kestral or Robin, while the Peregrines are just a little smaller than a crow. Both species have a lot of plumage variation but I'm not sure I've seen a peregrine with the real reddish streaking like your bird here, and merlin typically have more obvious broad bands on the tail.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Bee or bee mimic? Perth WA, best shot I could get, the legs were dangling and laden with pollen.

Looks like a blue banded bee to me - Amegilla, although I don't think our local ones have the metallic blue like some species do.
Edit: seems like the metallic blue is under the fuzz so you see it more in roughed up bald ones

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 23, 2021

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

Looks like a blue banded bee to me - Amegilla, although I don't think our local ones have the metallic blue like some species do.

That makes sense, it's not visible in the shot but there was a pale blue tint to the lighter parts. Cool.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

blight rhino posted:

My most friendly crow, the 1 legged dude, watches for me in the window from across the street and will try to swoop over in my line of sight when he sees me to get my attention

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This anole was almost black, sitting on the sode of my house in the sun on a cold day. He let me get close but was still alive.

I know they can change color to some extent--perhaps this is a way of absorbing every bit of warmth they can?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Found hanging from a bridge in east kansas

A bagworm!

I guess that's what this is as well.

Was also curious about this, East Texas:

They stood in a circle facing away from each other. When disturbed, they shuffled right back onto guard duty.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I will bet assassin bug nymphs until an entomologist comes in and embarrasses me

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Inspector Hound posted:

I will bet assassin bug nymphs until an entomologist comes in and embarrasses me

Yep, that circling behavior and the spiky abdomen make me think some kind of assassin.

Often you see them doing that around the eggs they hatched from but I don’t see any egg remains there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hello, this insect is currently alive and I'm really hoping you can tell me it isn't what I think it is.

Bay Area, California

Edit:found inside

Let me know if there's a better place to ask.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 28, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's a roach, maybe an oriental cockroach? I'm not a roachologist but it's a roach.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Scarodactyl posted:

It's a roach, maybe an oriental cockroach? I'm not a roachologist but it's a roach.

I thought it might be an oriental roach.

Welp, time to burn the house down.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Iirc these typically live outside and come in opportunistically, unlike eg german roaches. But maybe seek comment from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I only see these guys inside when it's really dry and they're looking for moisture. I have leaf litter outside and raking it up there's a mix of roaches, the brown winged ones, black shiny ones like yours, and the segmented native ones, and even with my slovenly lifestyle I very rarely see them indoors. I don't think seeing a single adult roach is a big deal, but seeing roach poop, egg cases, or small baby sized roaches that have likely hatched inside, is much more of a concern. If you're worried put some roach motels down and it should deal with any odd ones that are about. Someone else's nearby mess could be attracting them so burning your own place down might not help.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Hopefully that's a straggler, but if you see more - when I had a roach problem the things that helped most for me were sealing up all my pantry stuff air tight, cleaning up leaf litter around my house (they use it for highways) and sprinkling borax around all places they could get in. Just be careful it's not where any pets or kids you may have can get to it. If you free feed your pets, they won't like it, but you should consider moving to a fixed feeding schedule and be vigilant about cleaning up any spilled kibble / leftover wet food.

If it helps you, my mantra was "at least it's not bedbugs."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Red Queen posted:

Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Or houseflies. I've done that one and it suuuuuuucked.