Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

How dare you fault me for spreading the good news of Zendo to other families :colbert:

Magnetic North posted:

So, how does the "Paypal and through the BGG Marketplace" actually work? I see some modern vendors say Paypal but then they also accept normal rear end credit cards without an account. I ask because I don't really use Paypal basically ever. The last time I tried to use it, I literally could not give the person my money for some frigging reason and I had to mail them a personal check like a caveman.

Basically, you pay the seller directly via paypal, and the seller 'logs' it via BGG. BGG sees the log, notes 3%, and puts that on the seller's 'tab'. Once the tab gets to $10, BGG will send the seller an invoice.

You, as a buyer, only have to worry about getting funds to the seller. I do not have a way to deal with credit cards, but if you have Venmo that also works with me. If you wanted to get real esoteric, we could talk about like Steam or Amazon gift cards or what have you. If you win a bid, just say hey I am Magnetic North and we'll go from there.

Reposting for new eyes on new page:

For US peoples, I am auctioning off a large portion of my collection on BGG. All bids start at $9, so may get some sweet deals.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/291776/holiday-9-auction-el-grande-big-box-forbidden-star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I assume the $9 starting bid for Zendo is you will pay me $9 to take Zendo from you? I’ll bid $20

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Send it to me and I'll make a Office Space style video destroying it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

You know, if I end up not getting a bid for it sure. Make it a KS update for your RPG cards.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait why is everyone so down on Zendo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Glagha posted:

It's a terrible game for terrible people!

running joke from our annual game draft thread where someone took it first round :v:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Glagha posted:

Much like Wingspan, it was overrated*. Unlike Wingspan, there was a lot of fun in hating on it - I'm sure some better historians will jump in.

e: draft thread #2, which contains some Zendo fun as well as some stuff from the first one.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 19, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
First game of Pandemic Legacy with the family went well!

We lost the first game thanks to bad draws, but won the second thanks to misreading a rule. Going by the book we get less funds next month to compensate. Also, the bonus card got ripped a bit when we tried to scratch it. Any place online where I can look up the text?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Glagha posted:

Zendon't

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zendon't stop believing

Game day tomorrow! Managed to fill enough for a 5 player game, miiiiiiight get a 6th.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shadow225 posted:

Basically, you pay the seller directly via paypal, and the seller 'logs' it via BGG. BGG sees the log, notes 3%, and puts that on the seller's 'tab'. Once the tab gets to $10, BGG will send the seller an invoice.

You, as a buyer, only have to worry about getting funds to the seller. I do not have a way to deal with credit cards, but if you have Venmo that also works with me. If you wanted to get real esoteric, we could talk about like Steam or Amazon gift cards or what have you. If you win a bid, just say hey I am Magnetic North and we'll go from there.

Alright, I'll take that under consideration. I've paid goons for games before (gutterdaughter and Jimbozig) so they can attest to my honor.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Zendon't stop believing

Game day tomorrow! Managed to fill enough for a 5 player game, miiiiiiight get a 6th.

Zendo good.

Lets us know how you get on, this this your first play?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tis!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Zendo is really good, gently caress the haters, I still don’t regret picking it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also I picked it third round, after picking up Caylus and T&E, so y’all Zendo haters can suck it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Just remember the big baddies are not monsters you can attack and you're all good.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tekopo posted:

Zendo is really good, gently caress the haters, I still don’t regret picking it.

You can play Zendo with anyone and it's 60 seconds to explain. It's good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Zendo rocks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Infinitum posted:

Zendon't stop believing

Make sure and read the activation rules for Deep Ones, Father Dagon and Mother Hydra over a couple of times, in my first game we hosed up and had them all activate the same way because the text for each one starts in a similar way to the others, when in reality they do different things.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

But I like pain

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Whatever butters your biscuits, mate.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

Just remember the big baddies are not monsters you can attack and you're all good.
Also just remember to slide everything in the water back a space when you move forward on the travel track.
Also just remember that the room action on each room can only be used once per turn.
Also just remember that you can’t use items in the Brig.

This post is more for my benefit than anyone else’s tbh,

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
“The structure is invalid if any red cuboids are present which are not part of a set of n red cuboids touching one another such that they form a single complete loop, where n is a prime number”.

I no longer speak to the friend who ran with this rule. This is because upon hearing the rule I bit clean through my own tongue.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Some Strange Flea posted:

Also just remember that the room action on each room can only be used once per turn.

Say what

One day I'll play this game right

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

“The structure is invalid if any red cuboids are present which are not part of a set of n red cuboids touching one another such that they form a single complete loop, where n is a prime number”.

I no longer speak to the friend who ran with this rule. This is because upon hearing the rule I bit clean through my own tongue.
That's a pretty lovely rule. Like even rules that have simple ORs can be quite difficult to get.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Same, except my friend said "let's play Zendo".

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Keep throwing out Unfathomable tips. I'll def make sure to keep them all in mind.

The Watch It Played 45min video was good and informative as well, plus I've tried to read over the book twice to prep. Shhhhould be ok

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Zendo was fun until someone tried to "win" it with a rule like that and then that was it and it was never played again because that's what the game now means.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ok, I know I just said i like pain, but why would you play with custom rules, why would you play with structures bigger than 3 elements, why would you define a rule in terms of invalid arrangement instead of valid, and why was this person let out of their cage.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Zendo was fun until someone tried to "win" it with a rule like that and then that was it and it was never played again because that's what the game now means.

Zendo is a great honeypot to identify people who shouldn't be let anywhere near boardgames is what I'm seing here

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Board games w/ a 5yo update: Via Magica is lots of fun. It's bingo with some bonuses, even got my wife (who hates games) to play this.

Speaking of Paolo Mori designed games: Fall of Rome is the most fun I've ever had with a Pandemic. Never played Legacy tho.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the great hallmark of a good board game, it instantly becoming tedious and difficult when someone tires to win

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's no winning as the master though. Only players guessing the rule can win or lose. It would be like if you had a game of Falling and had the card dealer win or lose. It's just moronic. It's really loving easy to come up with some esoteric bullshit rule as the master, and if you do, you are literally not playing the game as intended.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The game outright tells you not to be too complicated when making up your own rules for that very reason it's not that kind of game. You're game mastering, not trying to just say "guess what number I'm thinking of" and laughing at your friends when they couldn't guess it. It even gives advice to give clues that are helpful but not too helpful or cryptic.

Impermanent posted:

the great hallmark of a good board game, it instantly becoming tedious and difficult when someone tires to win

It's the equivalent of playing like, Descent or something, designing your own custom dungeon, piling every single monster in the game in the first room, and then declaring victory. The game literally doesn't work like that, gently caress off

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 19, 2021

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Had some friends over for game night. Late into the night thanks to Crokinole and alcohol. Played Viticulture, fun and tight, but still not sure if going for the "easy" purple cards is simply the best strategy or if more experience means you actually manage to ship some high level champagne before game end. Playing without the expansions.

Also got a game of The Estates. Wasn't very ruthless as most were new to the game but 3 of 4 are eager to play again (the 4th one "doesn't like bidding games"). I ended up 2nd with 4 points, the winner at 32 and the other two at minus. I really like how open it is in terms of strategy, every auction has a myriad of different strategies to consider.

Also, everyone but me have at least one kid and haven't slept later that 7 in the morning for the last couple of years, so coming here is basically a vacation for them lol. Hopefully we'll get through a game of Suburbia tomorrow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We’ve just finished April in Pandemic Legacy. 6 games in two days!

I’m spending the weekend with the family and my brother and sister are really into it, money well spent.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Spent my afternoon making a print and play version of Rocky Mountain Man from Nate Hayden and Blast City Games. Same designer from Cave Evil and other such impossibly out of print games that have cult followings.

Mounted the maps on two boards, the hexes don't quite match up perfectly though, maybe like 1 or 2mm off which is gonna bug me, but if I trim them down then the boards won't be the same size... Didn't realise when I was setting up the print files I would be able to have the whole board printed on adhesive in a single go so I split it up into two halves on standard paper size here in Australia. Would have made it super simple to have everything line up perfectly but you live and learn I guess.

It's a game about being a mountain man in the Rockies in the early 19th century, trapping beavers for their pelts and mapping out the Colorado River. Surviving the elements, negotiating encounters with Native Americans, other trappers and wild animals.

The production version of the game is a folio game, so I think my copy is overproduced in comparison. The real version has a coated paper map you draw on as you explore and comes with crayons that you can apparently wipe off to reset the map. I went with a sheet of acrylic and some markers on top of my fully mounted 2mm boards and all my tokens are cut out of the same 2mm boxboard.

It also all fits in this thin box including all the sleeved cards.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 20, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Thanks - I've had my eye on Rocky Mountain Men for a while, because it's apparently an evolution of Source of the Nile, a classic but an awkward fiddly one. Was the build hard?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Spent my afternoon making a print and play version of Rocky Mountain Man from Nate Hayden and Blast City Games. Same designer from Cave Evil and other such impossibly out of print games that have cult followings.

As someone who read a few 1820-30s mountain man memoirs this year, this seems relevant to my interests.

What is a "folio game"? The only description I found was from Decision Games and reads like a marketing blurb. Is it just descriptive of the fact that it doesn't come in a box? As in, it's just paper and sheets that can fit into a manila folder, or something?

I'm going to watch the how to play video later, but it's like 90 minutes long, so I'll ask now: do you think a non-wargamer could grok this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Game day done. Short and sweet reviews
- Royal Visit continues to be a fantastic "Hey we've got 15-20min. I can teach you the rules in 5" style game. Some fun emergent strategy, and I'm glad it's in my collection
- Lorenzo il Magnifico got brought out at the end for a 3p game. I like it, though the theme is dry AF, but holy gently caress does the manual need a revision. Tidbits of information scattered throughout.

My first game of Unfathomable ended in a Human Victory :woop:

5 player game, used the suggested characters + first play rules.
Quietly confident we got all the rules correct and nothing was missed - Thanks for pregame reminders, they were in the back of my head and popped up a few times

What meme am I thinking of? :v:

I was Jamie Snell and played Quick Draw + True Grit + 2x Rampage to murder all 6 on my turn before they could merc Svetlana

Absolutely fantastic game. Can't wait to play again.
Felt like the traitors waited too long to reveal and we were at 8/12 on the trip before the 1st reveal - Which as soon as it occured we all instantly knew who the 2nd traitor was.