Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

I hate stroads

tracks good stroads bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

parked my rx-7 for the winter :sigh: see you next spring bby girl

e: wrong thread

*u were jousted to death by a poster riding a trolley*

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://i.imgur.com/DHAI6Fh.mp4

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
RWD sports cars (and their piece of poo poo drivers) strike again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n71RKXgrgGQ

edit: wait is that a porsche (porsh uh)?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lil poopendorfer posted:

gently caress you rear end in a top hat

post a link to your rx-7 please :shobon:

if you had plat i'd just pm this to you but here's a post in AI (spoilered so no one needs to be triggered by my RWD sports car or it's piece of poo poo driver):

click

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

this is a great use of hazard lights

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

if you had plat i'd just pm this to you but here's a post in AI (spoilered so no one needs to be triggered by my RWD sports car or it's piece of poo poo driver):

click

okay cager

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I had an rx7 just like that but not in that awesome color

small cars are the best cars, driving them too fast is just so fun I'm never changing

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
on behalf of the 1.35 million people dying every year on the road

go gently caress yourself

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pryor on Fire posted:

this is a great use of hazard lights

yeah, it self employed in the crumple zone, elon musk would have his loving mind blown

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol, drat

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pryor on Fire posted:

I had an rx7 just like that but not in that awesome color

small cars are the best cars, driving them too fast is just so fun I'm never changing

gently caress your rx7, go jack off to your murder machine somewhere else

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Murder machine rx7 lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

Murder machine rx7 lol

lol i missed this thread

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

the train president, everyone

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1461123117603041283?s=20

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the future began when president diamond joe entered the kidcrusher 9000 and never looked back

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

withak posted:

It is always someone panicking and mashing the accelerator instead of the brake. Even if the car is stuck at full throttle for some reason the brakes will always win. It isn’t even close, the engine at full throttle only slightly increases stopping distance. Anyone who says their accelerator was stuck and they weren’t able to stop was not actually hitting the brake.

to be clear this was only a problem on cars made before the toyota acceleration "issue" when the government mandated that drive by wire systems basically will ignore throttle input if the brakes are being applied.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

pam_theyrethesamepicture.jpg

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

withak posted:

It is always someone panicking and mashing the accelerator instead of the brake. Even if the car is stuck at full throttle for some reason the brakes will always win. It isn’t even close, the engine at full throttle only slightly increases stopping distance. Anyone who says their accelerator was stuck and they weren’t able to stop was not actually hitting the brake.

this is only true of modern cars

e: a pointless caveat tbf, since anyone claiming their engine overpowered their brakes is not likely to be driving a car old enough for that to be true

hot cocoa on the couch has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Nov 18, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that thing is 9000 pounds btw

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

lobster shirt posted:

judges and juries, 99% drivers all, are insanely lenient with this poo poo because they don't want to set a precedent of someone getting punished for negligently operating heavy machinery

Honestly it doesn't even make sense to throw the book at these people. Harsher punishments won't suddenly make people better drivers. Being a "good" driver and expecting that to somehow contribute to safer roads is like being a "green" consumer and expecting that to end climate change.

It's a systems and infrastructure problem. The person in that article should never drive again but that also applies to millions of people who haven't killed anyone yet but roll the dice on a daily basis.

Alternatives have to be put into place and barriers to living car free have to be removed or mitigated.

One could argue that legal protection for drivers is a barrier to living without a car but I feel like focusing on individual responsibility moves the blame and focus away from those with the power to influence or block change.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cars: still bad. even if electric.

How Americans’ Appetite for Leather in Luxury SUVs Worsens Amazon Deforestation

An examination of Brazil’s immense tannery industry shows how hides from illegally deforested ranches can easily reach the global marketplace. In the United States, much of the demand for Brazilian leather comes from automakers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/17/climate/leather-seats-cars-rainforest.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Honestly it doesn't even make sense to throw the book at these people. Harsher punishments won't suddenly make people better drivers. Being a "good" driver and expecting that to somehow contribute to safer roads is like being a "green" consumer and expecting that to end climate change.

It's a systems and infrastructure problem. The person in that article should never drive again but that also applies to millions of people who haven't killed anyone yet but roll the dice on a daily basis.

Alternatives have to be put into place and barriers to living car free have to be removed or mitigated.

One could argue that legal protection for drivers is a barrier to living without a car but I feel like focusing on individual responsibility moves the blame and focus away from those with the power to influence or block change.

i mean you're mostly right but to some degree the lack of consequences for this behavior creates a feedback loop of people doing dumb and risky poo poo because most of the time nothing happens but even when it does you usually can just say "oooopsies!" and you're forgiven unless you're DWI

not to suggest that we need more cops enforcing poo poo but it's hardly drilled into anyone that you can possibly loving kill someone when you're taught to drive.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

it's ok to be excited about this one

https://twitter.com/Dale_Bracewell/status/1461126267877486597?s=20

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A housing massacre: https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbOT1PN1Lg/

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

the environmentally conscious hummer owner. does that person exist

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1461199029753159682

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/lordhyperkill/status/1461167562310496259

check and mate ebike haters

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

wow, I've been there. buffalo is what I imagine detroit to be like on a small scale.

Buffalo Central Terminal:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

imagine if an ebike weighed several thousand pounds and had massive blind spots

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

imagine if an ebike weighed several thousand pounds and had massive blind spots

It really is just impossible to make any headway with people so willfully obtuse

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

butlerian jihad, but for cars instead of thinking machines

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

butlerian jihad, but for cars instead of thinking machines

we live in the sci-fi parody universe so the relevant anti car novel is actually Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

i mean you're mostly right but to some degree the lack of consequences for this behavior creates a feedback loop of people doing dumb and risky poo poo because most of the time nothing happens but even when it does you usually can just say "oooopsies!" and you're forgiven unless you're DWI

not to suggest that we need more cops enforcing poo poo but it's hardly drilled into anyone that you can possibly loving kill someone when you're taught to drive.

Yeah. Infrastructure changes are best obviously, but in the short/medium term a change from arbitrary, sparse enforcement of rules by cops to consistent automatic enforcement would make a big difference on many levels.

Ideally speeding, illegal parking etc would be automatically enforced with small (income/vehicle scaled!) fines. They wouldn't have to be big at all if the expectation was that you would get caught, not the exception. It's nuts that there are laws banning speed cameras! Sure they can be used in a racist manner, but it's hard to make them as racist as an actual loving cop

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the fact that its a beamer just tells me she was texting and driving and she has a really good attorney

what’s the deal with bmw drivers? they’re like this everywhere. i don’t even drive yet it’s so noticeable. mercedes drivers aren’t like this. audi, maybe… smh

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

mawarannahr posted:

what’s the deal with bmw drivers? they’re like this everywhere. i don’t even drive yet it’s so noticeable. mercedes drivers aren’t like this. audi, maybe… smh

No, they are. Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc all driven by people that dont respect others as humans

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

500excf type r posted:

No, they are. Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc all driven by people that dont respect others as humans

that’s true, but there’s something extra about bmw people, like the same thing that makes people act like cokeheads while stone cold sober.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
The more money you make the more your relationship with humanity becomes adversarial until you have no humanity left

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

the type of person that buys a german luxury car in america is the type of person that has decided that their class and privilege separates them from the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Oldy but a goodie, researchers conducted an experiment to measure yielding behaviors across different types of cars (with a main consideration of car value)

The Streets Blog article does a great writeup and the results are exactly as you would expect

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2013/07/16/study-wealthier-motorists-more-likely-to-drive-like-reckless-jerks/

The car war is a class war, of course we should have known