Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

If I'm ever a billionaire, I'm going to buy the naming rights to Dodger Stadium, the Rose Bowl, and the Coliseum and change them to something horrible just to see what it will do to Bill Plaschke.

Considering he ACTUALLY LIKES some of the teams that play in those places I don't think he can handle it.

This is a quality tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"I'm still going to call it Staples" is one of the funniest moral stances I have ever heard

we cannot let our arenas be named after some bullshit
scam we must protect the proud traditional name of the office supply company that sells ink for $300 a cartridge

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It sucks that the BangBros arena never happened.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tampa Bay Lightning should play at the Captain Stabbin Center

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

MourningView posted:

"I'm still going to call it Staples" is one of the funniest moral stances I have ever heard

we cannot let our arenas be named after some bullshit
scam we must protect the proud traditional name of the office supply company that sells ink for $300 a cartridge

"Why can't we have a traditional name like Wrigley? "

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd bet anything that the Ricketts family sells naming rights to Wrigley within the next decade so it would be like Gallagher Park at Wrigley Field" there I'd absolutely nothing they won't do to make a buck.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd bet anything that the Ricketts family sells naming rights to Wrigley within the next decade so it would be like Gallagher Park at Wrigley Field" there I'd absolutely nothing they won't do to make a buck.

100%, once the dust has settled on the Wrigleyville renovations and things have calmed down with the city and neighborhood. The only question is if they’ll default to Wrigley Field at TD Ameritrade Park for tax purposes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Niwrad posted:

You can literally just keep calling it Staples. Comiskey has gone through a number of name changes and people still call it Comiskey or The Cell (after its old name US Cellular Field).

It's been 17 years since Jacob's Field became Progressive Field and I still occasionally slip and call it Jacob's. Hell, I've been there on Progressive Insurance employee nights when Flo herself was there to sign autographs (the line was 100 yards long) and I still sometimes don't call it Progressive.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the idea of standing in line to get an autograph from flo the insurance mascot is unbearably grim

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the idea of standing in line to get an autograph from flo the insurance mascot is unbearably grim

That is the grimmest thing I've ever heard about Cleveland.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's frightening how popular she still is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah I don’t think Paul Lukas is going to green light “I still call it Staples” T-shirts like they have for dozens of other stadiums, because nostalgia for a corporate sponsor like that is…weird. I get that it’s become a Proper Noun that conjures up specific memories, but it’s not like the arenas and stadiums that were named after people or memorials instead of corporate sponsors. It’s odd it’s getting that treatment, because I don’t even know what you call it to be site-neutral. LA Live Arena?

That said, I also have been a fan of sports that have had closer sponsorship ties for a long time and understand the argument that life was better when actual stores or legitimate products were the sponsorship instead of like crypto grifts, gambling, or worse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm going to keep calling the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl the MPC Computers Bowl

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IT WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEEF O'BRADY'S BOWL TO ME!!!!!!!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Unironically yes to this.

Tampa Bay's own lovely regional version of sports-bar sponsoring a bowl game absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about played in the worst stadium in MLB, this was a brand marriage made in heaven.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

harperdc posted:

That said, I also have been a fan of sports that have had closer sponsorship ties for a long time and understand the argument that life was better when actual stores or legitimate products were the sponsorship instead of like crypto grifts, gambling, or worse.

Yeah, big faceless corporate sponsors are not good but still better than investment funds, crypto or gambling. I guess it's a reasonable line for a lot of people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
tbf I still will call GR field The Cell or Comiskey occasionally.

Names are hard things to break.

It's not some moral stand, but also some names just like sound better and roll off the tongue better.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I think putting the .com at the end of the name just makes it sound extra tacky. However if penisland.net were to ever get a stadium sponsorship I'd be perfectly okay with the full name being used.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bad Boys Mowers Gasparilla Bowl!!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

For real good for her grabbing an infinite sized bag of money because I watched the bob odenkirk movie where she acts in it and she wasn't going to make it another way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yeah, big faceless corporate sponsors are not good but still better than investment funds, crypto or gambling. I guess it's a reasonable line for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be much less if the Staples Center was becoming the Toyota Center, Target Center, or even like Bank of America Arena. (Reminder that the Great Western Forum was named after a bank as well, it was a sponsored name as well).

this just feels like if one of the dot-com bubble companies around 2000 had enough money to go after an arena sponsorship and not just Super Bowl ads, except worse, because crypto is dumb as hell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

harperdc posted:

I'm pretty sure the wailing and gnashing of teeth would be much less if the Staples Center was becoming the Toyota Center, Target Center, or even like Bank of America Arena. (Reminder that the Great Western Forum was named after a bank as well, it was a sponsored name as well).

this just feels like if one of the dot-com bubble companies around 2000 had enough money to go after an arena sponsorship and not just Super Bowl ads, except worse, because crypto is dumb as hell.

bay area's always had issues with naming their stadiums dumbass poo poo but at least they had 20-30 years of non-tech boom poo poo to solidify most of their stadium names of boring names before they rebranded them

its about as bad as renaming Candlestick "Monster Park" or Oakland Colosseum the "O.co" tbh

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I will never stop calling the Vikings stadium the Metrodome :colbert:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I will never stop calling the Vikings stadium the Metrodome :colbert:

The Dolphins stadium has gone through like a half dozen names in the last 25~ years but it’s still referred to as Joe Robbie Stadium pretty often.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Superdome will forever be the Superdome, no matter the sponsor.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't know anyone who says Rogers Centre instead of Skydome

It's always Skydome or The Dome

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

My point was that Wrigley was the original corporate stadium name. I know it was named for the owner, but it was a huge brand name, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

fartknocker posted:

The Dolphins stadium has gone through like a half dozen names in the last 25~ years but it’s still referred to as Joe Robbie Stadium pretty often.
Yeah off the top of my head, Joe Robbie Stadium, Pro Player Park/Stadium, Landshark Stadium, Hard Rock

I apparently forgot just 'Dolphins Stadium' and I don't remember it being called Sun Life Stadium although I don't live in Miami anymore so who knows

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah off the top of my head, Joe Robbie Stadium, Pro Player Park/Stadium, Landshark Stadium, Hard Rock

I apparently forgot just 'Dolphins Stadium' and I don't remember it being called Sun Life Stadium although I don't live in Miami anymore so who knows

The Dolphins Stadium name has come a few times, usually when they didn’t have a corporate sponsor.

The Landshark/Sun Life thing was memorable in 2009 because not only was Landshark a dumb name and pretty widely mocked, but almost every time it was mentioned, it was also mentioned that their name rights were basically just for the 2009 regular season and would expire just before the stadium would be hosting Super Bowl XLIV in February 2010. So it stops having that name and gets rebranded yet again as Sun Life (Nobody had a clue who they were either) a few weeks before the Super Bowl because Landshark couldn’t afford the rights for the Super Bowl.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
The Milwaukee Brewers will never not play home games at Miller Park.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've always liked the KC stadiums. Kauffman for the Royals who was the founder of the team and Arrowhead for the Chiefs. Although I guess Arrowhead is Geha field or some poo poo now, don't even know what that is.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Crazy Ted posted:

I’d do it if she would sign my Tom Goes to the Mayor dvds.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

fartknocker posted:

Well yeah that's because it changes names every 3-4 years. Nobody's got time to remember that poo poo

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I think my favorite new stadium naming idea has got to be CLIMATE PLEDGE ARENA where they run air conditioners non stop to maintain a manufactured ice surface.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Heinz Field, PNC Park, PPG Paints Arena, Kraft-Heinz, PNC, and PPG are all in a mile wide circle. At least they're local companies. Plus PNC and PPG have Pittsburgh right in the name. And Heinz's offices are in PPG Place.

I wish they'd kept the switchboard ladies on Mad Men, wherein Flo was one.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Crazy Ted posted:

Wait people actually like Flo?

I thought the whole 'appeal' of those ads was that Flo and her team are all annoying, which makes people remember the commercials.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/cecilhurt/status/1463281482265419780?s=21 Really, really sad news if you follow CFB at all. Cecil was an amazing, hilarious writer but more importantly the kind of man who wouldn’t think twice about giving you the shirt off his back, and went out of his way to help younger journalists.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

He was a fantastic writer, that’s a shame

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1463562653847142404?s=21

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1463563124070653958?s=21

Lmao Cecil ruled

E: ahahaha https://twitter.com/38godfrey/status/1463563824620052499?s=21

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Never forget when the restaurant named Pink Taco tried to buy the naming rights for what became University of Phoenix Stadium (now State Farm Stadium).

Schremp Howard posted:

I’d do it if she would sign my Tom Goes to the Mayor dvds.

Rats off to ya!