Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vagabong posted:

Isn't the E.U bank essentially run by France and Germany, the two biggest economies? I'd imagine a UK with the Euro as the currency would have similar levels of pull.

Yeah, the real punchline is that the UK had every opportunity to be the big swinging dick of the EU, and arguably already was, and chose to throw it all away in a nationalistic tantrum and inevitably become a third world country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1461686492754067456?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the real punchline is that the UK had every opportunity to be the big swinging dick of the EU, and arguably already was, and chose to throw it all away in a nationalistic tantrum and inevitably become a third world country.
That's possibly a good thing for the world as a whole.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What is #remorsegate?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

What is #remorsegate?

lol poor Boris has to be PM and get married and pretend to be a loving father.

Story : PM allegedly told a room full of telegraph journos and other assorted cunts that he was experiencing 'buyers remorse' over his recent marriage and fatherhood.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 19, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good thing he chose to get married in a church that's famous for granting quick easy divorces to english leaders

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah, the lawsuit where you hope both sides lose.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Sometimes it’s like watching a wasp land on a stinging nettle: someone’s going to get stung and you don’t care."

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Genuinely hard to believe that there are real people who exist out there buying copies of The New European

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I thought these days you could get thrown in jail for reading the New European

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol that Boris cucked that Sun oval office and then this enters the news

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I'm on holiday right now, and have a Halifax Clarity credit card, which is one of those ones for foreign use, because can you imagine if your regular card worked the same elsewhere? Can you?

Obviously it's been a while since I've been away so I checked it on the app and changed the PIN at a bank machine. I get here and use it twice no problem, then it starts getting declined. I called them and they say they sent a letter in August that they were going to close it at the start of November due to disuse, but I never got it. That doesn't seem to explain the £17 i was able to spend on it, but I feel like I took reasonable precautions here. Now I'll probably incur a 3% fee paying for the hotel on my regular Amex for starters, hopefully I can pay the rest of the trip with my Post Office card.

Is there anything I can do here? They won't reactivate it, so besides looking to change banks when I get home, is there anything I can do? Try to get compo or something?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

BizarroAzrael posted:

anything I can do here? They won't reactivate it, so besides looking to change banks when I get home, is there anything I can do? Try to get compo or something?

write a posh sounding complaints letter detailing the facts and that you were left at a disadvantage in a foreign country without being properly informed and you feel let down etc and wait a week or so and they will more than likely offer you x amount of compensation, because if you accept that then it doesn't go to the ombudsman and automatically cost them an amount slightly higher than x

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The EU bank is essentially run by Germany, which as an economy that still actually makes things in factories is not necessarily in sync with us these days. France is in there too, but are sort of famously not necessarily always on our side either. We obviously have less influence out of the EU than in it, but that doesn't mean joining the Euro would have been good for the UK.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it'll quite decline that much, but it's going to be a pretty embarrassing reversal when Britons with a pair of degrees start going to drive taxis in Poland to send money home. Except that house prices in the UK can never go down no matter what wages do, so rather than buying yourself a nice little place outside Wrocław after a few years abroad you just manage to scrape together the deposit to rent a house share in Reading.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think it'll quite decline that much, but it's going to be a pretty embarrassing reversal when Britons with a pair of degrees start going to drive taxis in Poland to send money home.

Lol no. Maybe in 50 years if things go really tits up.

e: I could maybe see say Finland though, even now it's not a terrible deal. And is almost equally as bleak as Poland, but with less rabid catholicism.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 19, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
As if Poland would let them in.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Yeah, Finland has jobs for IT people especially and the income limit for a visa is 3k€ I think, which is at the very lower end of IT wages. And having lived in the UK for 5 years I can say that housing tends to be better.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ataxerxes posted:

Finland has jobs for IT people especially
Just because we're currently a nation of malevolent clowns swimming in a sewer...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having to learn Finnish would be a negative, but potentially coming out the other end being able to speak Finnish would be a plus.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

DesperateDan posted:

write a posh sounding complaints letter detailing the facts and that you were left at a disadvantage in a foreign country without being properly informed and you feel let down etc and wait a week or so and they will more than likely offer you x amount of compensation, because if you accept that then it doesn't go to the ombudsman and automatically cost them an amount slightly higher than x

Yeah this is the right approach. The second they hear ombudsman they'll give you cash to go away because otherwise it's a ballache

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Counter point : when they HEAR ombudsman they tend not to roll over so they don't look like they're making exceptions for people who threaten them.

If you just make them THINK about the ombudsman then you're all good.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Perfect Element posted:

Counter point : when they HEAR ombudsman they tend not to roll over so they don't look like they're making exceptions for people who threaten them.

If you just make them THINK about the ombudsman then you're all good.

As someone who's run complaints teams before this is much, much closer to the truth.

As soon as you mention ombudsman it's straight off to legal to deal with, because we really don't want to fall foul of the Fair Treatment of Customers TCF measures.

Mentioning escalation means that it'll get dealt with even more by-the-book than before because the regulator really, really doesn't like it when you settle to avoid the FOS.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Well, can’t wait to see the reaction to Rittenhouse from our totally normal press and media

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
The trick with complaining to any large corporation is to make it sound like you're not after compensation. Don't put an exact number on the losses you made, don't even mention them other than "this has left me out of pocket" towards the end of the communication. Talk about how their failure made you feel, not what it cost - make sure that "disappointed", "let down", "helpless" are the main line of your complaint. Get specific about the emotional aspect of it - in this particular case that it's a holiday you've been looking forward to for ages (resist the temptation to turn it into a sob story about going to donate a kidney to an orphan or something), you're suddenly in a foreign country with your primary means of payment unavailable, etc.

While they're obviously heavily bound by policy the point is to try and make an emotional connection with the person you're dealing with, who after all is having to plough through dozens of these an hour (this is also why it's really important not to get angry or snarky because the person you're talking to isn't the one who put you in this situation) and you want to be put in the "Bung them a few quid for goodwill" pile, not the "Escalate it up to a manager who gets a bonus for telling you to gently caress off" pile. Putting the "left out of pocket" bit at the end *should* mean - assuming you make that connection with the rest of it - they then see that as the quickest way of resolving the issue. If they offer you something less than your losses then you can roll out the "Well that doesn't even cover my losses" and give them a figure (one that you can definitely back up with paperwork if needs be, because you might still end up having to escalate), and hopefully they'll give you that *plus* the original compensation.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Well, can’t wait to see the reaction to Rittenhouse from our totally normal press and media

Daily mail: "17 year old allowed to gun down protestors attempting to stop him doing a mass shooting but if I was to run over a pregnant green "activist" I'd go to jail for life! The double standards in the UK court system!!"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I work in customer service/tech support for an american company and if a customer ever starts threatening legal action I have to tell them to contact our legal department and put the phone down.

Getting angry with front line agents rarely changes anything, they're following the policies and procedures they're told to and by asking them to bend the rules for you you're asking them to risk their job. Try to escalate to a manager, if they can't/won't help google the company and directly email someone higher up the chain.

I had a problem last christmas with Sony that their support were completely unwilling to help with but it got sorted out realky quickly and easily after we sent an email explaining the situation to whoever it is that gets the messages sent to the CEO of customer service's public email.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I wonder how Starmer really feels about sharing a stage with a woman who thinks his wife is a race traitor for marrying him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/transport-for-north-tfn-rail-b1960906.html

quote:

Boris Johnson strips Transport for the North of powers after it criticises his rail cuts
Government drops Northern transport authority as ‘co-client’ of new rail line

Ministers have removed funding and powers from the umbrella transport authority for the north, in what Labour described as a “Whitehall power grab” following the body’s furious reaction of swingeing cuts to the flagship Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR) project.

The chair of Transport for the North (TfN), Louise Gittins, branded the government’s Integrated Rail Plan (IRP) “woefully inadequate” on Thursday, after it massively scaled back the NPR project linking Manchester and Leeds and ditched the bulk of the HS2 high-speed track extension from Birmingham to Yorkshire.

One industry source said that the removal of TfN from responsibility for developing NPR was intended by ministers to reduced scrutiny and accountability and “hide their own mismanagement”.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said the move was clear proof of opposition in Whitehall to the North having a strong voice.

TfN, which is overseen by a board of northern mayors and council leaders, had proposed a £36bn scheme for a new rail line between Manchester and Leeds, with a stop in Bradford.

But the government announced on Thursday that it would green-light only a small section of new track, with most of the route running on an existing trans-Pennine route via Huddersfield, bypassing Bradford.

TfN had been the co-client on the project alongside Grant Shapps’s Department for Transport (DfT) and was responsible for instructing infrastructure manager Network Rail.

But in a letter to TfN chief executive Martin Tugwell, the DfT said it would be taking sole responsibility for directing future work on the project.

David Hughes, director of the DfT’s Rail Infrastructure Group, said that the department intended to take “full and immediate responsibility” for developing NPR’s strategic outline case. TfN would then be relegated to an advisory role, becoming only a “co-sponsor” of the project.

etc

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

I work in customer service/tech support for an american company and if a customer ever starts threatening legal action I have to tell them to contact our legal department and put the phone down.

Same.
We get the occasional death threat, one guy threatened to get on the next plane and shoot up our US office.
US Homeland Security were called in on that one,
Turned out the guy did it to a lot of companies he bought things from.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Vagabong posted:

Isn't the E.U bank essentially run by France and Germany, the two biggest economies? I'd imagine a UK with the Euro as the currency would have similar levels of pull.

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

One way to super-Karen is to find out the email policy of the company you have an issue with. It's then easy to find out who the current directors/senior managers are and guess their email addresses.

I had an ongoing issue with my electricity supplier that just kept hitting brick walls via the standard route, so I sent an email to the directors. It's amazing what a bit of top-down pressure can do. After weeks of getting nowhere, I had the issue solved, an apology and £150 compensation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, Finland has jobs for IT people especially and the income limit for a visa is 3k€ I think, which is at the very lower end of IT wages. And having lived in the UK for 5 years I can say that housing tends to be better.

Man if I had 3k wage I'd consider myself rich.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Bad news everybody, Dacre won't be making GBS threads up Ofcom.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/nov/19/paul-dacre-pulls-out-of-running-next-ofcom-chair

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

The euro is bad for basically everyone except the Germans, it's also bad for France. And it has really put the EU in a problematic position. It was the EUs biggest mistake IMO.
It's amazing how horny some people were for the idea 20 years back. That was probably a big drive behind the success of ukip and their huge pound sign.

The rushed eastward expansion without any good checks against them going fash wasn't great either, but that was a Tony Blair idea so it figures.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Want a good laugh?
Watch this, and without googling it, guess what Austria did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyPtZlUr_j8

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

One way to super-Karen is to find out the email policy of the company you have an issue with. It's then easy to find out who the current directors/senior managers are and guess their email addresses.

I had an ongoing issue with my electricity supplier that just kept hitting brick walls via the standard route, so I sent an email to the directors. It's amazing what a bit of top-down pressure can do. After weeks of getting nowhere, I had the issue solved, an apology and £150 compensation.

The top management never actually have firstname.lastname@company (or whatever the policy is) for exactly this reason. At most places it just goes straight to second or third-line customer service - all you actually do is jump past the first-line reps which, to be fair, can actually be the only way to get some companies to do anything at all. It's ridiculous how many companies deliberately set their contact systems up as a labyrinth and only reward you with actual service if you can escape it.

Besides, top-level people never read their loving email even if you *can* get to them (hint - they're normally egotistical enough to just have firstname@ or initials@). If you actually want to get email to someone who can get poo poo done, find out who the CEO's PA is (you can normally work it out via LinkedIn or at a push through a little light social engineering through the press enquiries address), they *will* have firstname.lastname or whatever the policy is, and will just forward it on to the head of the relevant department sight unseen, which has the same basic effect as if you did actually manage to get through to Rupert Murdoch or whoever.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 19, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Want a good laugh?
Watch this, and without googling it, guess what Austria did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyPtZlUr_j8

Seriously, who watches this poo poo? 11 minutes of an angry egg shouting at me seems like something from the very deepest depths of OnlyFans, not something that has 100k subscribers.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Why should I watch an 11 minute video to guess what Austria did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seriously, who watches this poo poo? 11 minutes of an angry egg shouting at me seems like something from the very deepest depths of OnlyFans, not something that has 100k subscribers.

Meh, must be the masochist in me, I love bad films, I love bad political takes.
Jeff (never right about anything) is acting like Austria is rounding up and shooting people.
His comment section are the same too, all over Austria announcing mandatory vaccines.