Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

deoju posted:

I liked the appearance of JK Simmons. "Holy poo poo, he's in this?" Combined with a the character devoting his life to Gozer but getting tossed aside was funny to me. I thought there was gonna be some monologing and hamming it up. Nope. Blam. loving dead. Jokes on me. Maybe there was supposed to be more, but I loled based on that.

I like JK Simmons but since it was basically a brief cameo I'd have loved for them to get Paul Reubens to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
I was surprised in my cinema that it was only about 1/3rd full. Overall I liked it quite a bit (maybe 3 / 5) but -:

Everything after Gary and Callie hooking up as the Gatekeeper and Keymaster - felt like there was a massive quality dip in the writing, editing and humour.

The soundtrack didn't fit in a few places at all.

The mini marshmallow men in Walmart scene went on too long. My more cynical side wonders if they was added in later after all the baby Yoda love.

Phoebe distracting Gozer with the poor jokes didn't work at all for me and kind of removed a lot of the tension and sense of menace out of the last act.

Ghost Egon should have been cut down a lot to him helping Phoebe with the proton pack, a far briefer scene of him with the original crew and hugging his daughter would have been better. Instead it goes on for quite a bit and becomes a little too mawkish.

Ray not believing Egon over his apocalypse theory seems very out of character.

I guess my main complaint is that I wanted it to be a little more gritty like the original, whereas this does seem more aimed at kids and younger teens.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I was surprised they resisted throwing Slimer in, they do have Muncher, which is very similar though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Do they confirm who the families grandmother is?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

no, pretty sure they don't mention it at all

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

PriorMarcus posted:

The toaster.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's not Janine, that much is made clear.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I feel like the post credit scenes should have been the other way round, the Winston stuff mid cred and the Dana one as the fun sign off piece

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

deoju posted:

I liked the appearance of JK Simmons. "Holy poo poo, he's in this?" Combined with a the character devoting his life to Gozer but getting tossed aside was funny to me. I thought there was gonna be some monologing and hamming it up. Nope. Blam. loving dead. Jokes on me. Maybe there was supposed to be more, but I loled based on that.

That's what made that bit work for me. For how many times we've seen the cult leader devoted to the Elder Whatever in the goal of power and usually gets killed at their first failure, seeing the cult leader end up being regarded as no more special than the rest and on the get killed list just fit well.

Looke posted:

I feel like the post credit scenes should have been the other way round, the Winston stuff mid cred and the Dana one as the fun sign off piece

Agreed.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Eagle-eyed fans in r/ghostbusters noticed in the trailer that Venkman is wearing a wedding band so hopefully that means he married Dana.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's what made that bit work for me. For how many times we've seen the cult leader devoted to the Elder Whatever in the goal of power and usually gets killed at their first failure, seeing the cult leader end up being regarded as no more special than the rest and on the get killed list just fit well.

it could work as a gag if the movie did any sort of buildup to it. that isn't there at all, the character isn't established as having any significance or meaning to the goings-on that the movie can then undercut (ie, Shandor's return being part of his plan), he just shows up more or less out of nowhere

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

FoneBone posted:

it could work as a gag if the movie did any sort of buildup to it. that isn't there at all, the character isn't established as having any significance or meaning to the goings-on that the movie can then undercut (ie, Shandor's return being part of his plan), he just shows up more or less out of nowhere

I thought there was buildup. Going from the comment in the diner and various signage, Shandor built the town and mines. The temple in the mines was described as appearing overnight. That he was in a glass coffin shows he was well preserved for a reason, and when he turned to look at Podcast, assuming a resurrection at some point is on the table. Granted, it wasn't huge buildup, but it was there.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, we don't get a huge amount of context for what kind of man Shandor is. I would have liked to explore his motivations more as he is pretty much the instigator of everything. Who were his followers? Why follow him etc? We know from the 1984 film he felt "society was too sick to survive" and in this it implies he wants to rule/destroy with Gozer but there's not much else. Still, I do like how Gozer killed him.

I did feel Gozer was more human and less otherworldly in this. The 84 rendition genuinely feels like something from a different plane of existence, this Gozer was a little more super-villainy and human in her mannerisms, like in the way she lounged on the chair

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 19, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Karloff posted:

Yeah, we don't get a huge amount of context for what kind of man Shandor is. I would have liked to explore his motivations more as he is pretty much the instigator of everything. Who were his followers? Why follow him etc? We know from the 1984 film he felt "society was too sick to survive" and in this it implies he wants to rule/destroy with Gozer but there's not much else. Still, I do like how Gozer killed him.

I did feel Gozer was more human and less otherworldly in this. The 84 rendition genuinely feels like something from a different plane of existence, this Gozer was a little more super-villainy and human in her mannerisms, like in the way she lounged on the chair

Point. Most we get for that is if someone's connected to a temple that appears overnight, that's generally a red flag on the Evil Cultist Warning Signs list. A little more going into his motivations would've been nice. Granted it might be there in the Ghostbusters game. I've barely played it, but I do know they did some more with Shandor in it.

In a related note, I'm working the full Ghostbusters weekend at work. I've never gotten so many 'Have you seen it yet?' questions from customers before and so far everyone's leaving their showings with smiles.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Karloff posted:

The lighting was a big part of it too. But yes, I do think Gozer moved differently in this one. I chalk this up to hiring an actor instead of a trained model. As a side note, I was terribly distracted because I knew, I just knew, that had to be a famous person I recognized but I couldn't figure out who…

I'm told the actor was Olivia Wilde.

As much as I was hoping to see new things instead of retreads, I liked the Gozer plotline and what it added to the mythos. I liked seeing a more menacing version of the character doing more things. I really could have done without some of the direct quoting of dialogue and of shots from the original film—the "There is no Mom" was a low point for me, and I didn't like how they recreated the terror dog transformation so closely.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It has been a while since I played the game but if I recall Shandor actually betrays and takes over Gozer and becomes the main villain. Which is a bit of evidence I guess that this film strikes the game from continuity as there is no reference to that. The game also says that Shandor pumped the mood slime into the city which I thought was a cool connection, but again, presumably gone ftom continuity.

One semi interesting thing is that there's a cool scene where you see a number of dates on the wall that show when various disasters that were possibly Gozer related happen. The final date is 2021 which was presumably done with CGI as this was pushed back from 2020.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Icon-Cat posted:

As much as I was hoping to see new things instead of retreads, I liked the Gozer plotline and what it added to the mythos. I liked seeing a more menacing version of the character doing more things. I really could have done without some of the direct quoting of dialogue and of shots from the original film—the "There is no Mom" was a low point for me, and I didn't like how they recreated the terror dog transformation so closely.

Agreed with there is no Mom beat. It was such a shame because I think that scene could have been really cool and creepy and interesting - like actually having the kids talk with Zuul for more than a few lines could have given that character more personality but they sidestepped it in favour of references. Coming back home to see your Mum possessed by Zuul is a scarier variation of that possession scene and could have been compelling, but the fact they had to give her the same line and later put her in a similar dress and then do the same thing with the transformation just came off as weird.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Karloff posted:

It has been a while since I played the game but if I recall Shandor actually betrays and takes over Gozer and becomes the main villain. Which is a bit of evidence I guess that this film strikes the game from continuity as there is no reference to that. The game also says that Shandor pumped the mood slime into the city which I thought was a cool connection, but again, presumably gone ftom continuity.

One semi interesting thing is that there's a cool scene where you see a number of dates on the wall that show when various disasters that were possibly Gozer related happen. The final date is 2021 which was presumably done with CGI as this was pushed back from 2020.

I wouldn't quite say the game's been stricken from continuity. Same for what comments I've seen around about GB 2 being stricken. We have a huge gap of time where a lot could've happened. Shandor could've still betrayed Gozer, but thought he got back into Gozer's good graces only for 'LOL, no'. He still could've been responsible for the mood slime Vigo took advantage of. We don't see Vigo references or GB 2 references since this was more dealing with the Gozer stuff. Case in point, Oscar grew up and moved on with his life, preferably away from anything paranormal related, and Dana ended up marrying Venkman somewhere along the road. Her not showing up with the guys could've very well been a 'I'm not dealing with this Gozer poo poo again'. If there's another film, we could see more side plots Shandor set in motion that either never panned out or someone else decided to take advantage of.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That's true, as you say, I guess with such s time gap a lot could have happened. Perhaps something comics could fill in.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Karloff posted:

That's true, as you say, I guess with such s time gap a lot could have happened. Perhaps something comics could fill in.

The current comic line is more or less in it's own continuity. Once the GBs meet up with the Ninja Turtles, it gets hard to consider it in line with the movies...

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

WonkyBob posted:

One of the Blurays has really awful colour "correction" and the entire shot looks green (even Murrays face), I wonder if the colourist had similar thoughts. "I'm sure this looked greener... I'll just..... Tweak this.... A little.... What do you mean I can't revert changes?"

https://www.theraffon.net/spookcentral/gb1_homevid_compare.htm

The first DVD I bought was that 1999 version with the heavier purple hue, wish I knew more about colour grading because I'd love to get the colours in the 2160p version to match it.
That's a really good comparison. Some fan actually got ahold of and scanned a 35mm print, complete with cigarette burns, film grain, missing frames, and scratches - got a chance to watch that last night on a projector. It's probably the closest I'll get to seeing it as it was in the 80s.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

WonkyBob posted:

The toaster.

Ahh came in here to ask exactly that. I guess Egon found a way to reproduce asexually.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Spores, molds, and fungi.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Has a great time last night. Wife dressed up with me. Lots of adults and children wanted pictures with us. Movie is good. Theater manager asked us to come back tonight.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hunter Leopardson posted:

I was surprised in my cinema that it was only about 1/3rd full. Overall I liked it quite a bit (maybe 3 / 5) but -:

Everything after Gary and Callie hooking up as the Gatekeeper and Keymaster - felt like there was a massive quality dip in the writing, editing and humour.

The soundtrack didn't fit in a few places at all.

The mini marshmallow men in Walmart scene went on too long. My more cynical side wonders if they was added in later after all the baby Yoda love.

Phoebe distracting Gozer with the poor jokes didn't work at all for me and kind of removed a lot of the tension and sense of menace out of the last act.

Ghost Egon should have been cut down a lot to him helping Phoebe with the proton pack, a far briefer scene of him with the original crew and hugging his daughter would have been better. Instead it goes on for quite a bit and becomes a little too mawkish.

Ray not believing Egon over his apocalypse theory seems very out of character.

I guess my main complaint is that I wanted it to be a little more gritty like the original, whereas this does seem more aimed at kids and younger teens.

It's actually a little spooky (lol) how closely everything in this post mirrors my own reactions.

Movie was good, not great, especially in the third act as noted above. I'd definitely be interested in seeing an expanded cut. And I'd definitely see any future movies with this crew. But another problem I had was with the crew - Phoebe and Podcast are great (except for the name - someone gotta change that), but Trevor and the girl are really 'nothing' characters. Trevor is 'generic teenage boy' and the girl is 'the girl.' Wish they had a little more personality. A couple more assorted thoughts -

Maybe I just need to see it again, but what exactly was Egon's plan? We see in the beginning, he's tearing rear end away from the mountain with a loaded ghost trap that contains one of the Terror Dogs. And he's using it to lure something else into the Mega-Trap. But what exactly is he trying to trap here? First I thought it was Gozer, but doesn't Gozer need all the Keymaster/Gatekeeper poo poo to happen before she can come to life? Then I thought it was the other Terror Dog, but why would he need to use the Mega-Trap when it's already been made clear that the regular trap will work for them?

It definitely seemed like at the end they were setting up some other kind of Gozer shenanigans (with the "prophecy" and Ivo Shandor coming back to life) and then suddenly swerved into 'nah we just gonna re-do the GB1 plot again'.

Another issue was that if they were going to have the original crew, they definitely should have been integrated into the movie better. Before going into it, I was worried they weren't gonna be in the movie at all and then just show up at the last minute to save the day. Which is....exactly what happened. I can believe that after Ghostbusting dried up, Venkman and Winston would gently caress off to do other things. But it's really a tough sell to say that Egon found some huge apocalyptic psychic force threatening to destroy the world and called Ray about it and Ray was just like 'lol you crazy man.' He even got the Revelations quote tattooed on his body! Also (and I'm aware my thoughts are getting pretty scattershot right now), I don't see Egon being the type to scrawl that Revelations quote in 'crazy-man-graffiti' all along the entrance to his farm, but whatever.

Further to the Ray stuff, he gets a call late at night from some rando little girl, gets annoyed at the mere mention of the Ghostbusters to the point of hanging up, but then at the slightest push he launches into a detailed backstory exposition drop (which i guess, to be fair, is a pretty 'Ray' thing to do), but he doesn't actually get much information from the person on the phone at all. Then he rounds up the old crew to head out there with proton packs ready....on a hunch? They even had that joke about Ray being Podcast's only subscriber at the end. They could have had a running gag where Podcast is actually uploading ...podcasts of the stuff he's recording all throughout the movie, and that's how Ray figured out that the poo poo was hitting the fan and that he needed to round up the gang to bust some heads. Maybe the implication is that that IS what happened, but it didn't come through in the end.

Ok this post got much longer than I was anticipating, but one final note - I actually liked the post-credits scene with Janine/Winston, but what was the point of having that cut scene from the original with the coin? Seems kinda pointless.

All of this nitpicking might make it sound like I hated the movie, but that's not the case. I don't nitpick this much or write up big effort posts if I really hated something. There's a lot there to like.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I only wore my GB t-shirt and I had a little kid run up to me after the show, compliment my shirt, and then run off. He may have enjoyed my jumpsuit. Oh well hindsight.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Saw it last night, was expecting a tedious 'member-berry fest, but was very pleasantly surprised.

Soundtrack - Agree with an earlier comment that some uses of the old GB music (not the main theme) seemed a little out of place, but not too egregious.

Podcast - Don't think there was a single nod to his family situation, like how he got out of jail....

Ghosts - Not enough ghosts. Especially with the comment "the population of the cemetery is greater than the town". It was a ghost-town, but with almost no ghosts..

The biggest leap of faith - Would a town that small have a Walmart?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

CaptainN posted:

Nobody wants a Dollar General sponsorship.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Another thing of note, it's weird that the Sentinel Terror Dog didn't really factor in. In the opening sequence the fog seems to turn into a bipedal Terror Dog but we never see it in full. There are the two statues in the mine, but most of the Terror Dog stuff was of the standard variety. I didn't mind at all really, but I wonder if that's something that was cut out

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I wouldn't quite say the game's been stricken from continuity. Same for what comments I've seen around about GB 2 being stricken. We have a huge gap of time where a lot could've happened. Shandor could've still betrayed Gozer, but thought he got back into Gozer's good graces only for 'LOL, no'. He still could've been responsible for the mood slime Vigo took advantage of. We don't see Vigo references or GB 2 references since this was more dealing with the Gozer stuff. Case in point, Oscar grew up and moved on with his life, preferably away from anything paranormal related, and Dana ended up marrying Venkman somewhere along the road. Her not showing up with the guys could've very well been a 'I'm not dealing with this Gozer poo poo again'. If there's another film, we could see more side plots Shandor set in motion that either never panned out or someone else decided to take advantage of.

Why do people think the video game was ever in continuity in the first place?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Timby posted:

Why do people think the video game was ever in continuity in the first place?

Probably because it essentially serves as a continuation of the first two complete with the actors reprising their roles?

I’m not saying that makes it hard canon but it was certainly marketed as “It’s basically Ghostbusters 3!”

Kind of reminds me of Shadows of the Empire being a “canon” entry within the original Star Wars trilogy.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CaptainN posted:

They often build one to kill the small business in town, then monopolize prices
. That is the most realistic part of the movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

CaptainN posted:

I interviewed in a tiny West Virginia town once and the only things it had other than fast food were an Applebees and a Walmart

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Jiro posted:

Ahh came in here to ask exactly that. I guess Egon found a way to reproduce asexually.

I thought the toaster appeared in one of the trailers, scanned through them and found nowt then remembered I watched this Adam Savage set tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG6rEzyWSyc

There's a shot of the toaster at 2m35s (though this one has a debossed logo which I don't think the GB 2 toaster had), then the set dresser points out the box in a cupboard at 4m14s and says it's "the box from the second movie".

GB2 canon... Confirmed?

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

WonkyBob posted:

GB2 canon... Confirmed?

It was confirmed in the trailer that ends with Ray answering the phone at his occult book store from GB2

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I feel like almost every rewatch of the original gets me catching some little bit of acting that I didn't catch previously. This time around, it was Venkman mockingly sniffing the air after Ray says, "Listen! You smell something?" and the realtor mean mugging the poo poo out of Egon as he describes how the firehouse should be condemned.

Goddamn, what a fantastic film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And the store is the only reference to ghostbusters 2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think I'd put 2016 over this. It just felt too engrossed in reverence and too unambitious. It really reminded me of GB2 but one step removed castwise.

Ghostbusters stands on its own and every new one just feels like "Remember Ghostbusters?" Ghostbusters is amazing but being unable to progress remains its biggest problem. The closest the series has had to progress is the drat cartoon.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Avril Lavigne posted:

It was confirmed in the trailer that ends with Ray answering the phone at his occult book store from GB2

Reitman could handwave that away by saying something stupid like "in every reality Ray opened the store but they only fought Vigo in reality 7X32" but now we know Toasterwife was on set, though it looks like Egon may have been a Toasterwife beater as it's not in good shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Abner Assington posted:

I feel like almost every rewatch of the original gets me catching some little bit of acting that I didn't catch previously. This time around, it was Venkman mockingly sniffing the air after Ray says, "Listen! You smell something?" and the realtor mean mugging the poo poo out of Egon as he describes how the firehouse should be condemned.

I didn't realize Egon was telling Venkman what to charge the hotel guy on the sly by rubbing his cheek until... man, a couple of years ago if we're being honest. I'd feel worse about it but I've mentioned it to others and then they go "He was!?"