Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I cant get over the fact that that is supposed to be Faye in that scene

what the gently caress!!!! what the actual goddamn gently caress!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm not gonna spoil this clip, just watch it

https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1461698018462384137?s=20

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I think it's clear that some people just cannot be given anime. Hollywood execs and chuds just can't handle it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
same
https://twitter.com/peepsalum/status/1461731632357031937

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

She should get herself checked, given how wooden she sounds.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

net work error posted:

I think it's clear that some people just cannot be given anime. Hollywood execs and chuds just can't handle it.

I keep hearing Alita: Battle Angel is good but haven't seen it yet. Maybe I ought to and it'll give me the push to pick the manga back up where I left off. Alita Last Order was still coming out at the time, and it's one of the coolest follow ups to an original series ever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i am going to sue netflix for psychological damage

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what the gently caress

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
somehow all the eps are like 45mins long lmao
this is all production by algorithm

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I keep hearing Alita: Battle Angel is good but haven't seen it yet. Maybe I ought to and it'll give me the push to pick the manga back up where I left off. Alita Last Order was still coming out at the time, and it's one of the coolest follow ups to an original series ever.

honestly one of the best action flicks of that year

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hollywood discovering anime is worse than Congress discovering it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honest Thief posted:

honestly one of the best action flicks of that year

I know James Cameron was really passionate about doing a Battle Angel movie for a long time, so there was a real desire there to make a good adaptation. I think originally Cameron wanted to do a movie from the cyborg racing arc, which I think would've been a cooler movie even if a general audience would have no context from the manga to fill in the setting & characters.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I know James Cameron was really passionate about doing a Battle Angel movie for a long time, so there was a real desire there to make a good adaptation. I think originally Cameron wanted to do a movie from the cyborg racing arc, which I think would've been a cooler movie even if a general audience would have no context from the manga to fill in the setting & characters.

The movie smushes the Hunter Killer and Motorball arcs together.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It was pretty good, but he had to make the martians the good guys of course.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it sucks we wont be seeing anymore of ed norton0s nova

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Alita's big anime eyes in live action creeped the poo poo out of me in the previews but apparently its actually pretty good? I think they did reduce them thank anime god

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The way the martial arts tournament in Alita Last Order incorporates advanced physics into all the cyborg martial arts is so loving cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i deeply respect how baa keeps finding ways to crank the weirdness dial further

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Feldegast42 posted:

Alita's big anime eyes in live action creeped the poo poo out of me in the previews but apparently its actually pretty good? I think they did reduce them thank anime god

that poo poo was so bizarre because I'm pretty sure it's not like she has bigger eyes than anyone in the original manga. Like what was the intention there?

the movie version of alita looks so hosed up

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

the animation work is insane and impressive how it doesnt look out of place, unlike say a mcu fight scene

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The big eyes would've really paid off in a sequel movie that covered the Tuned arc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

this, he would have ruled

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Living proof that capitalism is killing us all

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://twitter.com/pyritvalentine/status/1461718249838628872?s=20
what does this person think realistic means

if anything everyone is more of a cartoon character in the translation to live action

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Nov 19, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TBF there's really no way Ed was going to be adapted to live-action and have it not be painful.

Now you might look at that and think that maybe this whole live-action idea is ill-conceived and shouldn't be done in the first place. However,

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

they put out some press releases patting themselves on the back for hiring a non-binary actor to play Ed

presumably to bypass any controversy in making an ethnically ambiguous character lily-white

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Nov 19, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Eh, who knows, last I heard Robert Rodriguez said he wants to do a sequel if that boba fett series brings in money

Stranger (and dumber) sequels have happened

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hard to tell just how much the good reviews are being astroturfed, or if it's just that a great mass of people are conditioned to be pure consumers. The amount of reviews saying the acting is good is especially funny.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Dr. Killjoy posted:

they put out some press releases patting themselves on the back for hiring a non-binary actor to play Ed

presumably to bypass any controversy in making an ethnically ambiguous character lily-white

Posted this in the TVIV thread (good for a laugh they loving love the show lol) but I wish we didn't have every non-binary character = loud annoying theatre kid.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think Billions has a non-binary character who's grinding to be a buttoned down & bloodless corporate functionary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Posted this in the TVIV thread (good for a laugh they loving love the show lol) but I wish we didn't have every non-binary character = loud annoying theatre kid.

What about Kamen Rider Naki?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Grey’s Anatomy added a non-binary doctor played by someone who really succs on Twitter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hard to tell just how much the good reviews are being astroturfed, or if it's just that a great mass of people are conditioned to be pure consumers. The amount of reviews saying the acting is good is especially funny.

It's only got a 46 on Metacritic so if they're astroturfing someone deserves a refund.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think you're right. with marvel and the general quality of this streaming poo poo, people will gratefully devour and slop put in front of them. pathetic

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Actions good and it looks good but the storyline is a mess. Shout out to Cristoph Waltz for doing his best.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i started 86, if anyone is familiar with the light novels and can tell me if it gets bad about this whole racism theme

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

i started 86, if anyone is familiar with the light novels and can tell me if it gets bad about this whole racism theme

It gets and stays pretty good about the whole racism theme - intelligent, nuanced, and furiously angry.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mars Chronicles is also really good. Shame it updates so slowly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ed isn't non binary though, her name is just Edward and she repeatedly says she's a girl iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ed isn't non binary though, her name is just Edward and she repeatedly says she's a girl iirc

Umm if you would consult my headcanon I believe you would find...