Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Possible way to convince him to get vaxxed maybe though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008

sheri posted:

No, you need a person's consent to take out a life insurance policy on them in almost all situations. It would be impossible without his cooperation.

That makes sense, and it's more likely to get his consent for that than convince him to get vaccinated.

General Probe posted:

Possible way to convince him to get vaxxed maybe though?

I've tried everything from explaining exactly how the vaccine works on a cellular level to the Catholic church's views on fetal cell lines. If I push any further I'd be risking the relationship with my mom. I at least convinced her to "listen to your doctor" who initially told her not to get it until a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it's a non-starter and I can find some other way to mitigate the risk. I'll take the E/N stuff to the covid thread.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hey, I'm an academic exploring other careers and I've been offered a job selling life insurance. It's a job I've heard horror stories about, but on the other hand parts of it seem like just the change of pace I need.

Can anyone speak to their experience working in that industry?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Hey, I'm an academic exploring other careers and I've been offered a job selling life insurance. It's a job I've heard horror stories about, but on the other hand parts of it seem like just the change of pace I need.

Can anyone speak to their experience working in that industry?

Some of those life insurance sales "jobs" are actually just MLMs. Is this job being offered by one of the big mainstream providers (Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, etc.) or some fly-by-night third party?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's a big mainstream provider (or rather, a local office of one of them) but it does have a LOT of the MLM flavor to it, especially being a commission-based pay schedule.

I'm going to say no, in part because the schedule it requires is just not compatible with my other obligations right now. Luckily my spouse has a good job and we're not hurting for money right now!

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Nvm

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 22, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does anyone know anything about HOA insurance in here? Ours has a policy from like 1985 and one of the old HOA members is convinced it's some kind of special grandfathered policy that you can't get anymore and which we should never change ever.

I can't really see what's terribly special about it from my reading...but then again I'm not sure what's normal or not in this industry.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Does anyone know anything about HOA insurance in here? Ours has a policy from like 1985 and one of the old HOA members is convinced it's some kind of special grandfathered policy that you can't get anymore and which we should never change ever.

I can't really see what's terribly special about it from my reading...but then again I'm not sure what's normal or not in this industry.

Bring it to a broker and ask them for help. Ask the old people what specifically they think is special. I'm no insurance person but given the tight regulations around it it's really unlikely there is anything special that is beneficial to you.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean if it's the same policy they've had since 1985 they might not be wrong. But I'm sure they've been updated to the current forms...

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Bring it to a broker and ask them for help. Ask the old people what specifically they think is special. I'm no insurance person but given the tight regulations around it it's really unlikely there is anything special that is beneficial to you.

They don't actually know themselves. This is The Lore passed from HOA members past. Okay, I'll talk to a broker and see if they can see anything special about it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So my car needs $3,000 of repairs (two doors and a windshield), my deductible is $1,000, so submitting a claim was a no brainer. The shop is hoping to do the work in November, so nobody's touched my car and I haven't signed anything yet.

Unfortunately State Farm just let me know that the repair shop charges a higher hourly rate than SF will agree to pay, so SF will only cover $900. This is less than my deductible so I would get Nothing, and my rates would presumably go up for having a claim

Since no work has been done yet, can I just... cancel the claim? Is that a thing? This doesn't seem like it benefits anyone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unfortunately State Farm just let me know that the repair shop charges a higher hourly rate than SF will agree to pay, so SF will only cover $900. This is less than my deductible so I would get Nothing, and my rates would presumably go up for having a claim

Your insurance companies responsibility is to "make you whole", i.e. repair your vehicle to pre-accident condition or give you thge money to do so or total/take your vehicle and cut you a check to buy a vehicle in the same condition as pre-accident.

With that in mind, how did you find yourself in this situation? Did you use some body shop that your insurance company didn't approve of for some reason? If so, can you get your car moved to one that is "in network" to make this job move along? Who pays for that depends on how you ended up in this spot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

Your insurance companies responsibility is to "make you whole", i.e. repair your vehicle to pre-accident condition or give you thge money to do so or total/take your vehicle and cut you a check to buy a vehicle in the same condition as pre-accident.

With that in mind, how did you find yourself in this situation? Did you use some body shop that your insurance company didn't approve of for some reason? If so, can you get your car moved to one that is "in network" to make this job move along? Who pays for that depends on how you ended up in this spot.

It's one of their recommended shops, so no issue there. State Farm is telling me that they have fixed rates that they will reimburse for certain repairs, and they disagree with the shop on what needs to be done.

The shop says the windshield will be $600 and SF will pay $400.
The shop says both doors need to be replaced at $1,200 apiece, while SF says they only need to repair dents totaling $500 :negative:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

At that point I'd be filing a complaint with my state regulator first thing in the morning and let them sort this poo poo out.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

At that point I'd be filing a complaint with my state regulator first thing in the morning and let them sort this poo poo out.

Thank you, I think that's what I need to do. I feel like they are banking on me saying "eh this is small peanuts, I'll just POOP*"

*Pay Out Of Pocket, a common insurance acronym

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's one of their recommended shops, so no issue there. State Farm is telling me that they have fixed rates that they will reimburse for certain repairs, and they disagree with the shop on what needs to be done.

The shop says the windshield will be $600 and SF will pay $400.
The shop says both doors need to be replaced at $1,200 apiece, while SF says they only need to repair dents totaling $500 :negative:

This kind of disagreement is really common with non-partnered shops (mostly dealerships) but it's weird to see it from a partnered shop. Have you asked SF if they can move the vehicle to another shop that will do the work for the rate they're paying at no cost to you? If SF recommended the shop and you went there it's entirely their fuckup.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've only needed to do that twice in my life, and both times it was AMAZING how quickly they immediately did that thing that they were supposed to do based on the insurance product they sold me and that I had been paying for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Virtue posted:

This kind of disagreement is really common with non-partnered shops (mostly dealerships) but it's weird to see it from a partnered shop. Have you asked SF if they can move the vehicle to another shop that will do the work for the rate they're paying at no cost to you? If SF recommended the shop and you went there it's entirely their fuckup.

Yeah, the first thing I did was ask to transfer to another partnered shop, and the soonest I could get in for an estimate was December 9th.

I'm fed up with waiting and just want them to give me the product I am paying for, and sometimes that requires legal encouragement

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I would ask your adjuster and agent point blank why you're involved with a pricing dispute with a in network shop. Do you actually need new doors? Have they disassembled them to see damage to crash structures? Are they saying to start there and if the dents don't come out you replace the doors?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Also have you escalated to a manager? There is a lot of new blood on the ground floor of insurance adjusting right now so you might have someone who doesn't understand the process very well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah this is really weird. A network shop and an insurance estimator often might disagree on the work needed, but that’s invisible to the customer. The shop would say “oh we need 6 hours to repair this” and the estimator might say “come on this is 4 hours max” and then they’d agree to something.

Repair vs replace on the doors is also odd because it’s a big price discrepancy you’ve mentioned. Is it the entire shell or the door skin the shop wants to replace?

I’d second calling the manager of whoever wrote your estimate and ask them why you’re getting dropped in the middle of a dispute on repairs from a network shop.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

El Mero Mero posted:

So the short and useless answer is "it depends." If they're on the actual form edition still as their old rear end 1985 policy that could have major perks, but also major drawbacks that will boil down to A. what coverage form the HOA policy is on (CP0010?) and B. how it's endorsed from there.

ISO (who writes most of the "standardized" insurance coverage forms across the standard market) typically updates their policies to address failures of coverage (which would mean the language would get more restrictive over an older edition) and/or to address an emerging risk that simply wasn't a thing when the past edition was written (eg computer and cyber related risks), which could mean you gain important coverage or could mean something is more clearly excluded. They only update policies every decade or so unless something VERY unfavorable happens in litigation. I would definitely have an independent agent (not the current account controller) take a look and if you are on an ancient rear end edition of a form, ask them to explain to you what the benefits and drawbacks of moving to a more current edition will be.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, I'm in the open enrollment period for my insurance I get through my job. Usually I decline these two, but it mentions critical illness and accident coverage. I'm 39, no major comorbidities, no children, but I am wondering with covid if this is something I should consider or not. It certainly is possible despite two vaccines + booster that I could have a breakthrough infection, even a bad one. My work already provides short and long term insurance through Unum which covers 60% of my salary/month.

the critical illness has two options, a MetLife "low plan" for 3.53 every two weeks, and a MetLife "high plan" for 7.06 every two weeks. the same two plans are available for accident at 1.20 and 2.12 respectively. My overall benefit cost every two weeks currently is around $62, so this wouldn't be a major increase.

thoughts?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
What are these 2 specific plans offering to cover, you told us how much they cost but not what the benefits are? Presumably the other 40% of your pay and your deductible on your health plan

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh my bad, here are the two summaries. doesn't look like they address the other 40% of my income

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Ok, so you are being offered 2 separate coverages one for sudden illness and the other for sudden accident or injury.

Your consideration for the Critical Illness should be as follows:

Your benefit depending on coverage level will be a lump sum payment of the listed amount multiplied by the initial benefit coverage amount for that illness (most pay at 25% or 100%) for up to 5 illnesses over the life of the policy. So how likely do you think it is that you, a 39 year old person with no major comorbidities and no children will suffer a listed condition and need an additional $3,750 - $30,000 to get you through it financially. Keep in mind COVID does not appear to be covered.

So for example if you suffer a heart attack and have the $15,000 level of coverage they will pay you that lump sum in full at onset of the illness, and you can receive this benefit up to 5 times (edit: refer to the recurrence benefit table to see if an illness is covered more than once)

Your consideration for the Accident Insurance should be as follows:

Your benefit depending on coverage level will be a lump sum payment of the listed amount depending on the injury (refer to the table, the ranges are likely to account for different body parts ie a fracture finger will pay on the low side where a fracture spine would probably max this benefit out). So how likely do you think it is that you, a 39 year old person with no major comorbidities and no children will suffer a listed injury and need an additional $15 - $10,000 to get you through it financially. Keep in mind COVID does not appear to be covered.

So for example if you fall from a bike and fracture your rt. arm and are taken to the ER by ambulance and need 4 f/u doctors visits an MRI and 12 PT sessions you would probably get something along these lines: $1,000 for the fracture + $400 for the ambulance + $500 for the ER visit + $175 for the doctors visits + $100 for the MRI + $180 for PT for a total payout of $2,355.

These examples may not exactly match what is actually covered under each plan and you should speak to either benefits advisor or broker to obtain a fuller picture for yourself.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 4, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the explanation! yeah doesn't sound like something I need at all. my medical insurance is already really good because I work for a major clinic and hospital organization

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Edit: nm, resolution found

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 12, 2021

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is anyone familiar with retiree health plans offered by employers? I’ve accepted a new job that has this and it appears that this is a benefit I can opt for that will provide insurance if I leave the company prior to age 65 (after meeting the service eligibility requirement).

It also says after age 65 I could purchase health insurance through a private exchange and receive the company’s financial support in a health reimbursement account.

Does my explanation above make sense? I’ve never heard of plans like that, so I’ve got a lot of questions about them that I’ll have to be asking the benefits department about!

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
It makes sense but is very vague and lacking specifics, can you provide more detail?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

General Probe posted:

It makes sense but is very vague and lacking specifics, can you provide more detail?

Should have more info soon hopefully and I’ll provide it when I can, thanks!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Car insurance question:

My lovely wife got in to a car accident in a rental car a few months back. Our insurer (Geico) took care of most things, however refused to pay for the diminished value claim that Hertz brought. They went back and forth, but ultimately Geico refused to pay, and Hertz threatened to send it to collections. My wife just told me the result of everything last week since she took care of it. Is there/was there any other recourse? She rented the car on an Amex Platinum, which I read doesn't reimburse diminished value claims. Apparently most car insurance companies don't either. Are we just out of luck?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Car insurance question:

My lovely wife got in to a car accident in a rental car a few months back. Our insurer (Geico) took care of most things, however refused to pay for the diminished value claim that Hertz brought. They went back and forth, but ultimately Geico refused to pay, and Hertz threatened to send it to collections. My wife just told me the result of everything last week since she took care of it. Is there/was there any other recourse? She rented the car on an Amex Platinum, which I read doesn't reimburse diminished value claims. Apparently most car insurance companies don't either. Are we just out of luck?

What state are you in? What does your adjuster (as in Geico's adjuster) say? What does your agent say? What does the rental agreement say?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

General Probe posted:

Ok, I got the benefits brochure, but not much else. I’m sure they’ll have a benefits presentation at which I’ll ask more questions, but this is all the info I have at the moment:

quote:

Retiree medical plan
<company> provides access to retiree medical and prescription drug coverage for those who meet the plan’s eligibility requirements.

• Group retiree medical coverage (including prescription drug coverage) when your employment ends, until you reach age 65 and become eligible for Medicare.
• <company> retirees and eligible dependents who are age 65 or over and Medicare-eligible can purchase individual health insurance (including prescription drug coverage) through a private health exchange and may receive <company’s> financial support through a health reimbursement account.

Another thing that I’ve never had to think about is a company car. I’m being provided with one at no cost, one which they say I should be driving for private and business use. I’m going to ask about how the insurance payments work. I assume its covered. I also assume I’d just keep my own car and my own insurance for it, but what if I decide to sell my car - do I keep my car insurance?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Another thing that I’ve never had to think about is a company car. I’m being provided with one at no cost, one which they say I should be driving for private and business use. I’m going to ask about how the insurance payments work. I assume its covered. I also assume I’d just keep my own car and my own insurance for it, but what if I decide to sell my car - do I keep my car insurance?

I don't know about the insurance questions, but it's my understanding that if you use it for personal purposes it's something you should be getting taxed on. If you don't have your own personal vehicle there is no plausible way to say you aren't using it for personal purposes according to the IRS. This is how it worked out when I had a company owned car when I was self employed.........if I didn't own another one personally I'd have to track mileage and poo poo.

Things may have changed, but I doubt by much.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I just had a conversation with a health insurance marketplace person and I can't seem to verify one of her claims.

Basically I'm trying to look at total possible yearly cost on two different plans.

Plan A:
146 monthly premium
200 deductible
700 out of pocket max
35% coinsurance

Plan B:
36 monthly premium
200 deductible
2900 out of pocket max
5% coinsurance

Now the way that I thought yearly total costs works is the following formula: monthly premium * 12 + out of pocket max. So plan A has a total potential yearly of 2452 and plan B is at 3332.

I get that plan B has significant advantages if I don't end up needing to use my insurance a lot, but I do a lot of gravity sports and the chance for injury is always there.

However, where I am now confused, is that the marketplace rep said this is actually how you total your possible yearly healthcare costs:

Possible total yearly = premium * 12 + deductible + ((OOPmax-DD) * coinsurance)

From a survey of online sources, that doesn't seem correct. But if it was, then plan B would totally be the way to go. But I thought that you had to reach the out of pocket max via coinsurance/copayments, not just by total bills.

Can anyone help me with a sanity check on this?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I’d say your formula is correct. With the caveat that only covered services count towards your OOP max eg if you get an out of network ambulance ride (which is basically all of them) and they bill you two grand it isn’t going to apply to your OOP max since it’s not a covered medical service.

My OOP max is $4000 and last year I ended up with around $7000 in liabilities because of ambulance rides.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah I’d say your formula is correct. With the caveat that only covered services count towards your OOP max eg if you get an out of network ambulance ride (which is basically all of them) and they bill you two grand it isn’t going to apply to your OOP max since it’s not a covered medical service.

My OOP max is $4000 and last year I ended up with around $7000 in liabilities because of ambulance rides.

Hey now, 5% of their maximum allowable amount ($8) will apply to to your out of network out of pocket maximum! :suicide:

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, I'm looking for info on behalf of my neighbor.

His wife has been diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. She's had surgery on her colon, but won't start chemo to get the lymph nodes until December. She is 37.

They have small children and no family to help. The are poor and the guy just recently got a decent job where they can afford insurance. If she dies he'll need money for childcare as he won't be able to quit his job.

Is there anyway this woman can get life insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Hello, I'm looking for info on behalf of my neighbor.

His wife has been diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer. She's had surgery on her colon, but won't start chemo to get the lymph nodes until December. She is 37.

They have small children and no family to help. The are poor and the guy just recently got a decent job where they can afford insurance. If she dies he'll need money for childcare as he won't be able to quit his job.

Is there anyway this woman can get life insurance?

It's an outside shot, but his new job may come with life insurance he can buy for his wife without requiring a medical screening. It'll be a relatively small policy (probably mid-five figures), but it'll be affordable, if (and that's a big "if") it's there.