Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Alright, finished up the MSQ tonight just in time for Endwalker tomorrow.

Wait what's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For Palace, will I also need to regrind all of the weapon and armor levels if I start on a new class, or is it universal?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

For Palace, will I also need to regrind all of the weapon and armor levels if I start on a new class, or is it universal?

It's universal, for both armor and weapons.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, not only is aetherpool universal on your character, it never diminishes or decreases unless you specifically convert it to grips to get the glamour weapons.

This leads to some side strategy as well; for example, once you hit 99/99 in POTD, you no longer get any personal benefit from opening silver chests and should outright ignore them if solo since you can't get aetherpool boosts and the other options are exploding chests or mimics.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

The Gunslinger posted:

I picked up Gunbreaker and Dancer at 60, it really wasn't a big deal. I've played other MMOs, this is not super complex. ARR was a ridiculous slog with a payoff that I couldn't really care about because of its awful pacing and frequent bouncing around between 30 different characters. I love everything else about the game, it's like my ideal MMO in every other aspect. My free company is awesome, I like the dungeon content, I like farting around in the golden saucer and in general I find there is a lot to love about the game other than the story. It just feelslike the story is in my way all the time. But as someone else said, I'm coming late to a game that's been around since the PS3. That's a lot to grind through when so much of it is mandatory.

Anyways thanks for the advice and letting me vent thread. I'm going to take the advice of whoever suggested a small break, something I probably should've done after ARR. When I come back if it's still pissing me off I'll just buy a skip and revisit any story content worth seeing.

Yea I don’t say what I say to new players as a kind of judgement of character or otherwise. If you are having fun then that’s all I could hope for ya. I just truly believe there’s something special about the pacing and the structure of it that works out in a magical way, and I don’t want anyone to miss out on it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so, just to confirm, for the duty roulette, you only get the reward it states once a day? i thought i could level out company seals as level my other classes at the same time but did not get any seals, i assumed the bonus was the one time per day thing? or is it cos that class wasnt at the level point for gc seals or something?

i like the game a lot, but theres a lot of uhh MMO stuff in this MMO that kills my brain sometimes. the stuff that puts me off totally from any mmo. (my mmo creds are UO which was just hilarious wild west fun to boring WoW in 2004 and never played again after level 25 and some dicking around in SWG) but i like it as a single player ff game. even more now i just discovered via the internet it takes place in (i think this is some late patch/expansion spoiler) well, on, the same planet as ivalice :eyepop:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vikar Jerome posted:

so, just to confirm, for the duty roulette, you only get the reward it states once a day? i thought i could level out company seals as level my other classes at the same time but did not get any seals, i assumed the bonus was the one time per day thing? or is it cos that class wasnt at the level point for gc seals or something?

i like the game a lot, but theres a lot of uhh MMO stuff in this MMO that kills my brain sometimes. the stuff that puts me off totally from any mmo. (my mmo creds are UO which was just hilarious wild west fun to boring WoW in 2004 and never played again after level 25 and some dicking around in SWG) but i like it as a single player ff game. even more now i just discovered via the internet it takes place in (i think this is some late patch/expansion spoiler) well, on, the same planet as ivalice :eyepop:

Re: the spoiler, not exactly. Eorzea has a place with the same name as a region in another game, full of references to that game, but it's not the same place as in that game. This game pulls from a bunch of other FF games like that. If you like the game it's referencing it can be a treat to enjoy (or can be annoying when they change things), but it's not a shared universe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And yes, Roulettes only give their bonus xp/seals/whatever once a day.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Even though one character can have every job how many of you prefer to have one character per job? It's an old mmo habit I can't seem to shed.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Correct, the specific roulette bonus is once daily. You can still get normal clear rewards on subsequent runs (tomestones, wolf marks, etc) but you are better off served doing specific instance queues if you, say, wanted to level in dungeons.

Horace Kinch posted:

Even though one character can have every job how many of you prefer to have one character per job? It's an old mmo habit I can't seem to shed.

Wouldn't fathom it. The reason I clicked with and stuck with 14 for almost 8 years now is one character is enough and I never need to redo unlocks or quests unless I want to.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

I could not ever bring myself to make another character tbh. The amount of overhead required in doing all the hundred+ hours of story again for no real reason is a dealbreaker. I enjoy being able to have access to everything on one character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

I tried doing that for similar habit reasons when I first started playing. The MSQ will break you. Other games with alts as the intended method will (ideally) have ways to make getting those alts up to where you want them easy. FF14 doesn't have that.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Not to mention it'd be screwy for anything beyond the base game jobs, since I'm relatively certain jobs that unlock at a higher level only unlock for that specific character, not your account. So if you wanted a machinist alt, you'd have to sit through 50 levels of MSQ as some other class to even unlock MCH. Expansion jobs past HW aren't as much of a hassle since you "only" have to get to the requisite level to unlock them, but they'd still be a pain. Also what do you do about crafting jobs?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Horace Kinch posted:

I understand people that do it for RP reasons but just for gameplay reasons, I would never do it. I hated it in WoW and wouldn't ever want to do it again.

I do play another character on another data center to play with IRL friends but maintaining that gets to be a pain in the rear end sometimes too. When Endwalker releases I might ignore that alt for a few weeks while I get everything settled on my Excalibur main.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The roulette bonus is once a day, but the “Adventurer in need” bonus can be received as many times as you like so long as you are queuing as the appropriate role.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
In my mind my character has a slightly different personality as each job. Maybe the job actions and stances help with that.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Horace Kinch posted:

Honestly can't even imagine doing that. I have 3 jobs over 70 and one at 80. That would be 4x running through ARR/SB/SHB MSQ. Uh, no.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

No, that's nuts

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Horace Kinch posted:

Oof, definitely not. So many things in this game are gated by MSQ completion, which takes forever even if you skip cutscenes. Alts are only for people who have already done everything on one character. Quality of life is so much better when you have one class at 80 already. You get bonus XP and can fly around everywhere and have access to more tomestones for gearing up, the list goes on and on.

It can be hard to shake the idea that your character only does one thing, but once you start working on other jobs that goes away. The WoL is a dabbler, they can do all sorts of things.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Horace Kinch posted:

I'm doing one character per armor set and even that is stupidly insnae.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why even level a class if it doesnt contribute to your amaro

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bruceski posted:

Re: the spoiler, not exactly. Eorzea has a place with the same name as a region in another game, full of references to that game, but it's not the same place as in that game. This game pulls from a bunch of other FF games like that. If you like the game it's referencing it can be a treat to enjoy (or can be annoying when they change things), but it's not a shared universe.

thats not what the multithreaded reddit with image and map evidence tells me. :colbert:

anyway, eorzea is a different landmass and not the area im talking about, the area im talking about is on the landmass to the far east map, under that theres a cloud cover with a area and people have done hardcore detective work with other maps and, its ivalice and it might be just after ff12

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ahjgyw/the_location_of_ivalice_on_the_ffxiv_world_map/ map image in the link

edit: oh hang on i just looked at the ff12 map lol. well whatever, still cool.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 19, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Bruceski posted:

And yes, Roulettes only give their bonus xp/seals/whatever once a day.

that figures. i did just unlock expert delivery now and got rid of the stuff i have in my armoury and then wound up with missing stuff from other classes but hey, almost ready for another rank. soon glamour prisms will be mine

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

derra posted:

The roulette bonus is once a day, but the “Adventurer in need” bonus can be received as many times as you like so long as you are queuing as the appropriate role.

oh is that what it means? so i see an adventure in need (tank) and if i fulfill that role i can keep getting the 2000+ seals that it lists under it?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

oh is that what it means? so i see an adventure in need (tank) and if i fulfill that role i can keep getting the 2000+ seals that it lists under it?

Yup, just incentive for folks to queue on jobs that are needed to get parties rolling, it basically updates the needed job on the fly. Even if the needed role changes while you are queued you do get the bonus, it snapshots as of when you start matchmaking.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

that figures. i did just unlock expert delivery now and got rid of the stuff i have in my armoury and then wound up with missing stuff from other classes but hey, almost ready for another rank. soon glamour prisms will be mine

If you haven't done it, there's an option that drops gear in your inventory instead of your armoury which makes keeping stuff you are using and random crap you've found separate a hell of a lot easier. There's also a little symbol on items in your armoury that means the gear is in one of your gear sets.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Tortolia posted:

Yup, just incentive for folks to queue on jobs that are needed to get parties rolling, it basically updates the needed job on the fly. Even if the needed role changes while you are queued you do get the bonus, it snapshots as of when you start matchmaking.

I’m also pretty confident that if the role becomes in need while queued you get it too. Like, if the roulette is healer in need but you go as tank, and the in need bonus switches to tank sometime during your queue, you get it, even without requeing.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Theswarms posted:

If you haven't done it, there's an option that drops gear in your inventory instead of your armoury which makes keeping stuff you are using and random crap you've found separate a hell of a lot easier. There's also a little symbol on items in your armoury that means the gear is in one of your gear sets.

I can be mistaken but I had the same issue as Vikar that when turning in items at my GC there was no symbol to identify if it was an item currently tied to an armor set and I wound up turning in a bunch of items I still needed, including the main hand of one of my classes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cyks posted:

I can be mistaken but I had the same issue as Vikar that when turning in items at my GC there was no symbol to identify if it was an item currently tied to an armor set and I wound up turning in a bunch of items I still needed, including the main hand of one of my classes.

There's a checkbox at the top of the turn-in window that says "don't include items registered to gear sets". That will let you avoid turning in stuff that other jobs are using.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Begemot posted:

There's a checkbox at the top of the turn-in window that says "don't include items registered to gear sets". That will let you avoid turning in stuff that other jobs are using.

Yeah. And to be extra sure, you can also exclude anything in your armoury chest.

I have a couple random items in my chests I use for one-off glams, so I sort and manually move my chests into my regular inventory before turning in for seals, and then I can just mash num-0 to turn in everything fast.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Tortolia posted:

drat I should level a healer then

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Goon Boots posted:

drat I should level a healer then

You can level a healer just by queuing, as your dungeons will almost always pop instantly.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Okay, I will be honest: I didn't find the Hildebrand stuff all that funny. But then I got to the part with the explosives on the beach(trying be vague) and this is hilarious.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It takes a little bit to get going and into the spirit of it, to be honest.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I just had the most painful Sunken Temple of Qarn....
Wiped 4 times to the first boss before we vote abandoned. Shame queue even as a tank was a solid 9 minutes but we just didn't have the DPS to get through it.
One of the players was clearly new (only one class and at level 36) but they weren't doing any mechanic nor even attempting their rotation as a black mage. I hate to kick somebody who needs that dungeon as part of their MSQ but what do you do? The healer wasn't great but acceptable, but they couldn't keep me alive with the thrash and final stings from the bees. From what I could visually tell, the BLM was just spamming Scathe.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 20, 2021

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cyks posted:

I just had the most painful Sunken Temple of Qarn....
Wiped 4 times to the first boss before we vote abandoned. Shame queue even as a tank was a solid 9 minutes but we just didn't have the DPS to get through it.
One of the players was clearly new (only one class and at level 36) but they weren't doing any mechanic nor even attempting their rotation as a black mage. I hate to kick somebody who needs that dungeon as part of their MSQ but what do you do? The healer wasn't great but acceptable, but they couldn't keep me alive with the thrash and final stings from the bees. From what I could visually tell, the BLM was just spamming Scathe.

Did you try and look up their rotation and tell them in a nice way what to do? We were all new once.
In fact, this thread is literally for new players.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think it's actually impossible to give friendly advice to a black mage without getting told to gently caress off.

And if they're just spamming scathe, they're beyond the ability for advice to help.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I tried to explain the Doom mechanic multiple times as a living BLM spamming scathe is better than a dead DPS but I got zero feedback from the BLM.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bot but I'm glad somebody voted to abandon as I really didn't want to kick a new player for being "bad". It also occured to me that the healer never casted adloquium or succor but I didn't catch that until after we left.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

What was the other DPS doing? Getting murdered by bees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I'm pretty sure all of the sub50 dungeons are tuned around 1 dos being afk, so I don't think his rotation was the problem.