Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

your second sentence is not wrong, but landing people on the moon is loving cool and you know it

like yes it doesn't mean the US "won" the space race in any meaningful way, but we can all come together on a completely nonpartisan statement admitting that landing people on the moon loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The Russians ferry us to the space station and our most notable recent space achievements are watching Bezos and Musk larp the 1960s space program.

The SLS is fully stacked and ready to roll out to the pad for a test launch early next year, and as flawed and stupid a program it is I still hope to all gently caress it works so I can have some kind of cool new rocket news to follow that isn't the Elon Musk Epic Le Bacon Pickle Rick Rocket or the Jeff Bezos Felt Emasculated Rocket

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh also in terms of recent space stuff we landed not one but two nuclear-powered car-sized rovers on mars using a goddamn rocket crane, that's pretty cool at least.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Blarghalt posted:

My family once took me along to a vacation in Europe once and about a week of that was spent in the UK.

I lost about fifteen pounds during that trip because it was less painful to starve than eat British food.

you guys didn't bother to try any indian food or kebab while you were there? cause I mean the indian food and kebab in the UK beats most of what's available in the USA

everyone knows british food sucks that's why, if you're stuck in britain, you have to eat non-british food

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I thought nando's was all right.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the russians still put people in space using soyuz capsules while the US is at the mercy of elong musk, so maybe russia actually did win the space race

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

the russians still put people in space using soyuz capsules while the US is at the mercy of elong musk, so maybe russia actually did win the space race

You know, it's a space marathon, not a space sprint.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

30.5 Days posted:

You know, it's a space marathon, not a space sprint.

:hmmyes:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

elon musk is doing space crossfit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Elongated musk is the stinkiest loving thing ever, it sticks to everything!!!!!!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One of the meals on my lifetime memory list was in a small pub in the UK. Not a gastropub, just a pub. My husband had smoked "poussin" (small chicken), I had curry. It was lovely.

Apart from that, apart from the renaissance of English traditional and fusion cooking in the UK, if you aren't eating curries and other non-English food, you're missing out.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

The SLS is fully stacked and ready to roll out to the pad for a test launch early next year, and as flawed and stupid a program it is I still hope to all gently caress it works so I can have some kind of cool new rocket news to follow that isn't the Elon Musk Epic Le Bacon Pickle Rick Rocket or the Jeff Bezos Felt Emasculated Rocket

china is doing extremely cool poo poo on the moon

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

all the really important space work is done on unmanned missions the rest is just a side show really

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ArmZ posted:

all the really important space work is done on unmanned missions the rest is just a side show really

Is your AV from Starman Jones?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

petit choux posted:

Is your AV from Starman Jones?

idk you'll have to ask squizzle

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

ArmZ posted:

idk you'll have to ask squizzle

I'm flying under Squizzle's radar RN, but on closer examination I guess not. It also looks like Squizzle attempted to draw a thong on you centaur, I didn't really notice that.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
All these slams on the Soyuz. It's the space Volkswagen, works great every time. Sure the US built new baubles every five years to funnel money to defense contractors, but the Russians built stuff that generally works.

Personally I can't wait to see the SLS suck rear end to make space nerds sad. You will die on this rock like everyone else. :)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
NASA spent millions resolving constipation issues caused by astronauts' low-residue diet.

The Russians used a pencil.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

GotLag posted:

NASA spent millions resolving constipation issues caused by astronauts' low-residue diet.

The Russians used a pencil.

Not even a poopknife, :sad:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Personally I can't wait to see the SLS suck rear end to make space nerds sad. You will die on this rock like everyone else. :)

The people following the SLS are not the people who think they're going to live on mars or whatever, those are all musk fans at this point. All that would happen if the SLS fails is NASA will be promptly privatized and sold to elon.

I guess on the plus side, by privatizing it you can almost guarantee the budget approved by congress will magically double for the first time in decades.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Casey Finnigan posted:

you guys didn't bother to try any indian food or kebab while you were there? cause I mean the indian food and kebab in the UK beats most of what's available in the USA

everyone knows british food sucks that's why, if you're stuck in britain, you have to eat non-british food

It's cheaper than in the US too, even in the middle of the London :v:

Kebab and a mountain of chips for 6 pounds, equivalent in the US would easily be 10 bux (2016 money)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I was in the UK I drank instead of eating whatever brown muck they called food

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Apart from that, apart from the renaissance of English traditional and fusion cooking in the UK, if you aren't eating curries and other non-English food, you're missing out.

That’s right. I became so incensed by the price of Indian food in this American city where I live that I learned how to make it myself, and it’s a really good thing to know how to do

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Professor Shark posted:

When I was in the UK I drank instead of eating whatever brown muck they called food

beer is a food, think of it like a cursed protein shake

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

that’s why it’s warm

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

30.5 Days posted:

I thought nando's was all right.

How cheeky was it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

It's cheaper than in the US too, even in the middle of the London :v:

Kebab and a mountain of chips for 6 pounds, equivalent in the US would easily be 10 bux (2016 money)

the us now has a lot of Indian food but still seems to be critically low on kebabs

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nando’s is awesome

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

hobbesmaster posted:

the us now has a lot of Indian food but still seems to be critically low on kebabs

idk if it's a new york or east coast thing exclusively but instead of kebabs we have what everyone calls "halal" which is mostly chicken and rice platters

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

hobbesmaster posted:

I was confused for years until I found out that what the Brits call a kebab I call a gyro. I mean, kebabs are much trickier to eat.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was confused for years until I found out that what the Brits call a kebab I call a gyro. I mean, kebabs are much trickier to eat.

Holy poo poo for real? I just blithely assumed they really liked their skewered meat on a stick

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
lol yeah shish kebab is not the same and the gyros from greek places are also not exactly like the kebab in europe

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Holy poo poo for real? I just blithely assumed they really liked their skewered meat on a stick

:same:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol yeah shish kebab is not the same and the gyros from greek places are also not exactly like the kebab in europe

Lmao well the world just lost a little bit of magic. I mean as far as potential street foods go shish kebab seems well suited so I never questioned the assumption

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get shish in places, its just default is doner. by orders of magnitude

doner is also on a stick, its the gigantic 50kg lump on a stick that they slice bits off of

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

HashtagGirlboss posted:

lol yeah going to europe and seeing a bunch of kebab places really confused me until I actually went to one

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've had proper stacks-of-meat style gyros in the US; it doesn't have to be meatloaf-style.

In Greece they put a couple of fries in them. Mmmmm.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can get shish in places, its just default is doner. by orders of magnitude

doner is also on a stick, its the gigantic 50kg lump on a stick that they slice bits off of

So more like shawarma?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
shwarma tends towards cumin paprika sometimes cardamom and is in pita. doner tends towards sumac and pickles and stuff like that and is in durum

theres not a huge difference

biggest difference is mexican al pastor, which has pineapples on top and can be pork cuz its from lebanese-mexican christians. and its usually tacos not lavash-style stuff

(almost always pork in fact cuz pork is cheap)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Greek fries are the food of the gods