Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1460363752839299079

I'm guessing this is "What if Miles spun out of Logan's whole deal and not Peter's?" which begs the question:

Will there be "What if Laura Kinney was (yet another) clone of Peter Parker?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what if wolverine had FOUR claws

makes u think

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know that none of it makes anatomical sense, but having the claws come out between the fingers make a sort of visual sense. How does it work when he has four claws?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comes out the top like they did for the first 25 years of his existence until the movies decided they came out between his fingers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only really come out between the fingers consistently in the movies. In the comics the vast majority of the time they come out on top of the hand. Obviously each artist has their own style. Anatomically it makes zero sense either way so it's not really worth it to get nitpicky now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

The only really come out between the fingers consistently in the movies. In the comics the vast majority of the time they come out on top of the hand. Obviously each artist has their own style. Anatomically it makes zero sense either way so it's not really worth it to get nitpicky now.

Right, like how does he bend his wrist when they aren't out?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

It makes perfect sense; wolverine’s claws extrude out of portals to the claw dimension.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Didn't ultimate sabertooth or someone in the ultimate x-men lineup bust out four claws to prove he was superior to wolverine at one point?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Azubah posted:

Didn't ultimate sabertooth or someone in the ultimate x-men lineup bust out four claws to prove he was superior to wolverine at one point?

Yeah Ultimate Sabretooth had four on each hand, but one of the four on one hand was broken.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

Don't recall that, but during World War Hulk Hulk had Laura up by her arms and asked if she wasn't missing a claw, and she said 'no' and gouged out his eyes with her foot claw.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
hopefully there's more than this coming for the "what if" books, they made a big deal out of labeling Zdarsky's spider's shadow as part of that series and it seems like a good way to let creators let loose on wacky stuff

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Four claws looks weird. Not a fan.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Four claws, but only one is hot!

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Maybe that's Deadpool's daughter? What if... Gerry Duggan never left the title?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gerry recently wrote a really fun Deadpool comic for the Inifnity Comics on Marvel Unlimited that had him teaming with Sue Richards. A weird team up that worked really well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The FF one of those that just started going up is also pretty promising. It's Reed and Sue going on a married couple's double-date with Ben and Alicia to a fancy space restaurant that's then gonna get robbed.

There's a surprisingly nuanced bit where the menus bug Ben for 2 reasons which play into each other and are comedy on the surface but more meaningful I felt: The menus are holograms AND they're in French (cuz fancy place) and Ben gets huffy, but then Alicia has to ask him to read them to her and it makes total sense, because she's a Braille reader and thus those menus are really lovely to give her. And Ben's embarrassed because his French isn't good and thus he can't help her properly. :smith: (They do crack some jokes when he tries to cover by throwing out some middle-school level Spanish)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Right, like how does he bend his wrist when they aren't out?

They're supposed to be housed entirely in his forearms so he retains wrist movement, but sometimes artists make them visibly too long for that to be possible.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Speaking of Wolverine, I saw this story on Bleeding Cool news.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/john-byrne-creates-wolverine-origin-comic-as-he-would-have-told-it/

Basically John Byrne us releasing his own X-Men fan fiction, and he is doing his own version of Wolverine and his origins. It's certainly.....different.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gaz-L posted:

The FF one of those that just started going up is also pretty promising. It's Reed and Sue going on a married couple's double-date with Ben and Alicia to a fancy space restaurant that's then gonna get robbed.

There's a surprisingly nuanced bit where the menus bug Ben for 2 reasons which play into each other and are comedy on the surface but more meaningful I felt: The menus are holograms AND they're in French (cuz fancy place) and Ben gets huffy, but then Alicia has to ask him to read them to her and it makes total sense, because she's a Braille reader and thus those menus are really lovely to give her. And Ben's embarrassed because his French isn't good and thus he can't help her properly. :smith: (They do crack some jokes when he tries to cover by throwing out some middle-school level Spanish)

Speaking of, to throw back a couple of months to a hilarious comics firestorm, is Alicia saying Ben's a "hero" by that terrible standard?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

TwoPair posted:

(I mean who wants to watch a Deathlok flick)

I did and it was pretty good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upgrade_(film)

Kidding aside, I dropped the McDuffie Michael Collins Deathlok comics on the person who showed me that movie in response, and she loved them.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of Wolverine, I saw this story on Bleeding Cool news.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/john-byrne-creates-wolverine-origin-comic-as-he-would-have-told-it/

Basically John Byrne us releasing his own X-Men fan fiction, and he is doing his own version of Wolverine and his origins. It's certainly.....different.

One thing I actually did like about those panels was Logan's healing factor in its slower, OG version, was never a fan of the way it became almost supercharged in later years and trivialised almost any injury. The first time I saw it in action was after Scalphunter went full auto on him and the next issue opened with him lying on the ground wrecked and waiting helplessly while everything knit back together. Nowadays, he'd probably just shrug it off and keep fighting without missing a beat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sentinel Red posted:

One thing I actually did like about those panels was Logan's healing factor in its slower, OG version, was never a fan of the way it became almost supercharged in later years and trivialised almost any injury. The first time I saw it in action was after Scalphunter went full auto on him and the next issue opened with him lying on the ground wrecked and waiting helplessly while everything knit back together. Nowadays, he'd probably just shrug it off and keep fighting without missing a beat.
Hell, in the original version it wasn't fast enough to save him if you deliberately cut major arteries. (Though that came up in Murderworld, so Arcade could have done his math wrong.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Logan is definitely one of the characters who's been done some damage by the "widescreen" trend, which has resulted in a lot of pre-existing characters getting what amounts to a power boost.

I'd also put Luke Cage on that list. It ruins some of his street-level charm if he's casually toting trucks around like he did in Bendis's Avengers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have never heard of the "widescreen" trend before

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It was a really prevalent phrase in the early aughts, and kind of referred to those big blockbuster style action comics like The Authority, Planetary,The Ultimates, etc.-- lots of splash pages, lots of short but wide panels (this was a big thing with Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch) and in general a more decompressed, "cinematic" narrative style. The idea was fewer chatty, dense, continuity-laden comics, more comics that gave readers spectacle and big set-pieces made possible by the theoretically "unlimited" effects budget of illustration.

I'm not sure if it's still in broad circulation but for awhile it was really the hot look, and a term that was thrown around quite freely to the point that the meaning got pretty diluted and unclear eventually.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's been on my mind a bit since the last issue of Grant Morrison's Superman and the Authority was entitled "Widescreen," which I thought was fun.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

How Wonderful! posted:

It was a really prevalent phrase in the early aughts, and kind of referred to those big blockbuster style action comics like The Authority, Planetary,The Ultimates, etc.-- lots of splash pages, lots of short but wide panels (this was a big thing with Frank Quitely and Bryan Hitch) and in general a more decompressed, "cinematic" narrative style. The idea was fewer chatty, dense, continuity-laden comics, more comics that gave readers spectacle and big set-pieces made possible by the theoretically "unlimited" effects budget of illustration.

I'm not sure if it's still in broad circulation but for awhile it was really the hot look, and a term that was thrown around quite freely to the point that the meaning got pretty diluted and unclear eventually.
The other trait of 'Widescreen' was long arcs. Very few done-in-ones, lots of four, six, or more issues to tell a single story. Very much paced for the trade collection.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

FMguru posted:

The other trait of 'Widescreen' was long arcs. Very few done-in-ones, lots of four, six, or more issues to tell a single story. Very much paced for the trade collection.
I don't think it's fair to ascribe that trait to Widescreen comics, as it was prevalent in nearly every Big 2 comic from that era (not to mention that some defining works like Planetary were primarily composed of one-and-dones). The work that first comes to mind when I think of trade-writing is Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man, and that's probably the opposite of what a Widescreen comic is. I think it would be interesting to examine how the distribution of comics influenced how they were written and where the inflection points occurred, but this seems like an intersection of two separate trends rather than something Widescreen specifically innovated.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think there are three distinct movements here, that overlapped but developed independently:

1. "No more done-in-ones": This was dying by the mid-late 1980s and was something people were lamenting the loss of forty years ago, with the rise of "soap opera" comics like Claremont's X-Men, Levitz's Legion of Super Heroes, etc. It's not to say that done-in-ones had fully disappeared, but they were gone long before "Widescreen" got bandied about. Even naming arcs "The Fart Machine Saga Part 4 of 6" came way before the turn of the century, and was endemic by 1990 or so.

2. "Widescreen": Certain aspects of this were really crystalized with The Authority in 1999, but arguably the first big "widescreen" comic was Morrison/Porter/et al's JLA in 1997. The Justice League comics had turned into the long-running-plot-thread continuing saga type books that were popularized in the 1980s, with diminishing returns as editorial fiefdoms kept taking Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Flash/Green Lantern/etc. away from the JL books, turning it into a serial about the personal lives of Nuklon, Blue Devil, Captain Atom, Amazing Man, Ice Maiden, Metamorpho, and other c-listers. This actually kind of worked in the Giffen/DeMatteis run, but absolutely was not by 1997.

So the Morrison JLA went back to the Big Name Heroes fighting Huge Threats and focused less on interpersonal dramas. It was all your favorites in epic stories, which in turn influenced the Authority, Mark Millar's Ultimate Marvel contributions, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, and pretty much everything Jeph Loeb ever wrote. In treating comic book stories like movies, it stripped away a lot of the narrative cruft to tell blockbuster stories.

3. "Writing for the trade/Decompression": Trades collecting the entire run of a series basically did not exist prior to 2000, when the previous two trends emerged. A vanishingly small number of books got "complete run" trades, and those that did were either big event/crossovers, or 'prestige' books where even then companies (mostly DC) would do weird haphazard out-of-order collections of Sandman or Starman. There were some comprehensive reprint projects (Marvel Masterworks, DC Archives) but they were high priced hardcovers of decades-old collector's items, mostly.

It was more of a thing in non-big-two publishers to put out collections, but even then (look at Love & Rockets as an example) they were hardly comprehensive, and in some cases smaller publishers pushed trades because it was a better for the budget than trying to keep a backstock/second printings of individual issues around.

When Bill Jemas took over Marvel, one of the first big controversial things he did was stop massively overprinting books/going back to do second printings of hot issues, in favor of putting that publishing budget/warehouse space towards building a trade collection. People hated this for various reasons. Once that system was in effect, a lot more people were "writing for the trade" - a lot of explicit 4-8 issue arcs -- and with that came the criticism that they were "stretching things out" and "decompressing" their stories.

Another thing that doesn't fall into any of these categories explicitly is something Priest pushed hard and implemented in his 1998 Black Panther series, which was writing "seasons" of a comic. Having had practically everything he'd written in the 1990s cut short and/or canceled, he didn't have any faith that his Black Panther book would last beyond the originally pitched 12 issues. So when writing Black Panther, he mapped it out so that it could wrap up in a satisfying way when it was canceled after a year. When it became clear it wasn't getting canceled, he planned another "season", with the idea that maybe it would go past issue 24, but probably not. This continued for over sixty issues.

This was something a lot of writers did not take to heart, the late 1990s/early 2000s are littered with books like Wildcats 3.0 (and even less remembered Vertigo, Wildstorm, etc.) books where they were canceled after 8-10-20 issues and the creators would lament how they were really going to kick things into high gear in issue 35 or whatever. Which probably indirectly led to Jeph Loeb style "payoff after payoff" books where everything happened NOW and was BIG and BRASH and HAD SO MANY GUEST STARS, lest people lose interest.

I am curious what people even consider "widescreen comics" though, and if anyone remembers Ellis's less successful pitch for "Pop Comics" or whatever. I am probably forgetting several attempted Warren Ellis genres here.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I am curious what people even consider "widescreen comics" though, and if anyone remembers Ellis's less successful pitch for "Pop Comics" or whatever. I am probably forgetting several attempted Warren Ellis genres here.

one of the big examples of widescreen comics i usually see brought up when the term is discussed is the first Civil War

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ultimates 1 and 2 are the first thing I think of when I hear 'widescreen comics'.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It sure beats tall-screen! Always funny when you have to hold your book up vertically for a two-page spread. I feel like Top Cow stuff like The Darkness and Witchblade did it more, maybe a 90s trend.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Ultimates 1 and 2 are the first thing I think of when I hear 'widescreen comics'.

Funny, my mind goes to the first Authority series. Maybe it's the artwork of Byran Hitch?

If I was asked to define it, I would say it was very much a conscious decision bu the artist/writer to have a team that is devoted to dealing with threats that effect millions of lives, if not the entire planet or more of space.

It is story telling on a grand scale trying to emulate a Hollywood Blockbuster film but as a comic.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Question IRL posted:

Funny, my mind goes to the first Authority series. Maybe it's the artwork of Byran Hitch?

If I was asked to define it, I would say it was very much a conscious decision bu the artist/writer to have a team that is devoted to dealing with threats that effect millions of lives, if not the entire planet or more of space.

It is story telling on a grand scale trying to emulate a Hollywood Blockbuster film but as a comic.

The thing I'll always associate with "Widescreen" comics was Nick Fury and Hank Pym in the Ultimates 1 debating which actor would play them in the movie version, and Nick Fury looking full on into the fourth wall and saying "I hope it's Samuel L Jackson."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The thing I'll always associate with "Widescreen" comics was Nick Fury and Hank Pym in the Ultimates 1 debating which actor would play them in the movie version, and Nick Fury looking full on into the fourth wall and saying "I hope it's Samuel L Jackson."

Which is particularly funny because when Nick Fury first showed up in the Ultimates universe it was in Ultimate X-Men. (Which thinking back, the early arcs of that series were pretty wide screen in scope.)

And he looked a lot more like classic comic Nick Fury than the later Samuel Jackson version.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cloks posted:

Posted this in the X-Men thread because I confused it for this one :doh:

How Wonderful! posted:

I read it too and I didn't think it was bad. I wished it had been longer and weirder mostly, but what's on the page is still pretty compelling. I think the best chapter by far was the one about Shang-Chi, mostly because he had a lot of interesting stuff to say about letterhack culture and that one particular fan who developed a weird rapport with Doug Moench. I wish it had had more of that stuff and less hewing close to the canon of acknowledged great runs.

I do think the preliminary chapters about like-- how to dive into continuity and how to conceptualize the Marvel story as a big serial narrative were interesting, and I think would be super useful for people just getting into superhero comics.

Wanted to reply to these with a thanks for making me aware of this book. I grabbed the audiobook version and listened to it during work this week, just finished today. I think I broadly agree that the Shang-Chi chapter is the most interesting for long time fans just because the run in question was out of print for so drat long that it's basically new to anyone who doesn't remember it at the time or isn't an obsessive back issue collector. And the snapshot of just how long the progressive fight for half-decent representation has been going on is fascinating as you point out.

I did also really like the chapters on Spider-Man and Squirrel Girl/Ms Marvel, though, as well as the brief one on Night Nurse. The first is an interesting framing of the story in a way I'm not 100% sure I fully gel with, but it's compelling nonetheless. The second probably resonates more with Wolk's voice reading the passages about his relationship with his son. And the last is just a fascinating idea that's mostly a gimmick but an interesting sort of illustration of how history is largely the product of who we choose to focus on when examining it.

Plus some of the more jokey bits made me smile, like him pointing out how the biggest Claremont fans are the ones who mock his style the most. And the appendix summary of the MU's whole history going "And then Fear Itself happens... it's nonsensical and lasts for like 200 issues over 35 books but there's some very nice drawings of punching"

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wanderer posted:

Sort of. He gave up the Iron Fist to help defeat a particular villain, but instead of it being returned to him afterward, it was imbued into a dragon egg. Theoretically, Danny's off the roster and the next Iron Fist will have to wait until that dragon hatches and grows up.

Isn't Pei the new Iron Fist?

Vincent fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 23, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1463213260765900804?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gently caress yeah. I know things are gonna be different from Hickman's plans, but he'd been seeding Destiny coming back since HoXPoX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As I understand it, Hickman planned a short-term status quo change, not unlike Dark Reign, and they loved it so much they are slow rolling the rest of his story. Is that right? I might have missed some news. Getting more bits a good sign.