Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Punctuation seems like it could change a lot here.

There's a big and terrifying difference between the implications of "Human, Body contains a soul" and "Human Body, contains a soul".

I'm pretty sure it's the first one, their "rank" is "LV1 Human" and then the description of that rank is "Body contains a human soul". Which is... still kind of a weird description that raises a few questions.
I'm not sure I believe Kris is dead, but I keep thinking about how in Undertale, (spoilered for that one person who said they were just playing it) Flowey is a dead kid who got resurrected through Determination, which is the only thing keeping him alive with no soul. Is there a connection? I'm hesitant to say yes because we don't know if souls and determination work by the same rules in the Deltarune universe. But it's definitely another pushpin on the corkboard, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kris is alive, yes.

The living dead.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
kris is just going through puberty

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nebalebadingdong posted:

kris is just going through puberty

Oh, so they're going through something worse than death.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
The thing that’s really killer is just how banal all that sadness is. There’s nothing extraordinary about the monsters’ depression in this one—they live in what we’re all literally conditioned to read as JRPG Paradise, it’s named Hometown ffs, but they all have very normal and sad problems that don’t have any tinge of adventure or romance to them. Only Kris seems to truly be bridging that gap between mundane sadness and the fantastical, and it’s at considerable cost to them, or at least fairly evident struggle. Everybody else just seems…stuck.

To us, the player, it’s been built brick-by-brick to break our dumb hearts and set us on edge. It’s a brilliant setpiece even in these two chapters. Like I am hooting and hollering for Hometown as a writer because it’s such a poo poo-hot literary device, a whole-rear end Earthbound epilogue a chapter, studded with cool hooks that invite speculation.

But I really do wonder how Kris sees it. We get hints of Kris’ broad opinions and feelings, but they reject us seeing anything more than that, sometimes literally just closing a book we commanded them to read. (Or does Kris pick out the How to Care for Humans book from the big shelf that’s there on purpose when we just pointed them that way? Where does that abstraction break down?) Other people tell us about Kris, but they’ve been absent from everyday life for so long it’s like we’re hearing about another person.

I guess I’m saying I get why Toby Fox has talked about this story keeping him up at night for a long time, because it sure keeps occupying my mind despite playing it weeks back now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I hadn't seen this before even though it's dated from Oct 2.

It works for like 80% of lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEz3COc0T8Q

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Sans and Asgore have a conversation where Sans says the flowers are a captive audience, and some people think that means NOTHING? :psyduck:

E: Also an aside, does anyone else's save file have hundreds upon hundreds of hours played piling up? For some reason my save file is at like 766 hours. Feels like something that's probably been talked about but I'm unaware.

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 19, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Neuronyx posted:

Sans and Asgore have a conversation where Sans says the flowers are a captive audience, and some people think that means NOTHING? :psyduck:

In the context of the Light World? Probably not. It's a fairly mundane setting that may have some things hidden deep beneath the sea.

In the context of the Dark World though? Oh they'll probably take on another meaning. Though not much we can really say on that front yet given there's only 2 chapters out right now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I genuinely think just about everything in the light world is completely mundane.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Neuronyx posted:

E: Also an aside, does anyone else's save file have hundreds upon hundreds of hours played piling up? For some reason my save file is at like 766 hours. Feels like something that's probably been talked about but I'm unaware.

Minutes, not hours.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I genuinely think just about everything in the light world is completely mundane.

I think Toby is still functioning on the vestige of his abandoned first draft idea for the Light World where everyone was a human, and they became a monster only while in the Dark World. So far the only hint of anything being strictly outside the bounds of "normal" in the Light World is how freakishly strong Undyne is, otherwise it's basically Night In The Woods, "they're people who look like animals."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Roulxs will become a giant worm god and clone Susie a bunch of times

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Toby is still functioning on the vestige of his abandoned first draft idea for the Light World where everyone was a human, and they became a monster only while in the Dark World. So far the only hint of anything being strictly outside the bounds of "normal" in the Light World is how freakishly strong Undyne is, otherwise it's basically Night In The Woods, "they're people who look like animals."

There's the bunker making the garbage noise and the egg that can be taken back from the dark world and duplicates itself in the fridge

To me it really suggests somethings up in the light world too and I really wouldn't be surprised if that become more dramatic as the story progresses

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This isn't relevant to much but what's up with oninonsan or whatever, I keep thinking it's supposed to be some onision thing.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Oh, and so my earlier post isn't completely incoherent, here are the other posts they are in reference too.

Frisk soul:https://doge-w-a-bloge.tumblr.com/tagged/frisk-soul-theory (actually many posts conveniently tagged.)

Reset:https://determinators.tumblr.com/post/666961714971033600/hey-so-susie-right-uh-so-i-thought-it-was-odd
https://friskibitz.tumblr.com/post/666972624393535488/misremembered-something-herw-gaster-may-have

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note does anyone else secretly fear none of the future secret bosses are gonna hit as hard as SPAMTON G SPAMTON like I think the [BIG SHOT] is going to be hard to top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RbLZvJhSb8

Hey it seemed like it'd be hard to top Jevil.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 19, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

multijoe posted:

There's the bunker making the garbage noise and the egg that can be taken back from the dark world and duplicates itself in the fridge

To me it really suggests somethings up in the light world too and I really wouldn't be surprised if that become more dramatic as the story progresses

Oh yeah, there's a subtle bleed of what's probably Dark World bullshit that's building up in bits and inches that yeah will probably compound significantly by the time we get to the end of the game. To my earlier point, I figured Toby's whole "humans Light, monster Dark" idea would culminate in all of Hometown becoming part of the Dark World or the Dark World overtaking Hometown completely so you'd eventually get that moment where everyone's monster forms are revealed, and you'd get that cheap pop where like you see Undertale Sans again however briefly after a whole game of having to put up with Human Sans just mercilessly styling all over you. Something to that effect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The flowers probably don't appreciate being imprisoned. They might be full of spite and vengeful...

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Imprisoned is one view, but another view is being made to live a sheltered life in an otherwise inhospitable area, cared for with all of the attention of a helicopter parent

Not that either is correct, mind

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A third view: They're flowers, they're not capable of abstract thought nor are they aware of what a perfect metaphor they are for Asgore's unhealthy inability to move on and let go.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

A third view: They're flowers, they're not capable of abstract thought nor are they aware of what a perfect metaphor they are for Asgore's unhealthy inability to move on and let go.

Yet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The first thing the flowers do upon gaining sentience is hold an intervention for Asgore.

Red: Asgore, my man, you've done a great job taking care of us and you're a good guy with a lot to offer the world. But you're in need of some tough love, and by that I mean your life is a pathetic mess and you need to get your poo poo together immediately.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We're going to open the bunker and just find a chainsaw bound to the floor by a bunch of ropes with talismen tied along their length.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm definitely half expecting the bunker to be a fake out and once we finally enter it turns to just be a regular office where a spooky internet ghost is making his video game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Berdley's room is probably best a mystery for the ages but I do gotta wonder.

On top of apparently desiring nipples, I do wonder if it features in that Kris and Berdley have similar taste in girls.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Berdley's room is probably best a mystery for the ages but I do gotta wonder.

On top of apparently desiring nipples, I do wonder if it features in that Kris and Berdley have similar taste in girls.

Do you mean Asriel and Burghley?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah that's Asriel's deal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I mean more the implications that Kris is also into Susie... as well as Noelle, and Ralsei...

Incidentally, heart-less Kris and their zombie-like movements seem... oddly familiar as being a badly depressed (and hungry) teenager.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean more the implications that Kris is also into Susie... as well as Noelle, and Ralsei...

Not being into Susie is a crime in hometown, and not the cool kind you do in closets

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that might be more due to fanart than canon, currently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's no indication that Kris' fondness for Susie is in any way romantic, and they are decidedly not into Ralsei.

I don't actually have a read on how Kris feels about Noelle, other than that they don't particularly want her as their +1 to the festival, which could just be because obviously they want to hang with the Soos.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Being the least into Ralsei isn't the same thing as disliking Ralsei. Kris has history longer than 48 hours with the other two. That Ralsei looks a lot like Asriel probably isn't weirding them out any less

Not wanting to go to the festival with Noelle also makes perfect sense since she clearly wants to go with Susie and they (Kris and Noelle) just started re-connecting. Kris has enough awareness to not impose themselves on that situation, in particular in a romantic way.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 19, 2021

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

which could just be because obviously they want to hang with the Soos.

I mean, who wouldn't?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

Kris has enough awareness to not impose themselves on that situation, in particular in a romantic way.

With the way the townspeople describe them, they doesn't seem like someone who would have this kind of this sort of awareness. Or any kind of social awareness whatsoever for that matter. I think it's simply they like Susie a lot and so they want to go with Susie, not Noelle. Doesn't mean Kris hates Noelle, it's just that they don't really want to hang out with her for whatever reason. Could have something to do with whatever terrible event happened involving Noelle's sister, or maybe they just drifted apart for more mundane reasons.

I agree Kris' feelings towards Susie aren't a romantic thing though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not saying Kris dislikes Noelle or Ralsei, just that they clearly like Susie the best of the gang, and are at least a bit put off by Ralsei, which makes perfect sense. Susie rules and ralsay drools

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

JuniperCake posted:

With the way the townspeople describe them, they doesn't seem like someone who would have this kind of this sort of awareness. Or any kind of social awareness whatsoever for that matter. I think it's simply they like Susie a lot and so they want to go with Susie, not Noelle. Doesn't mean Kris hates Noelle, it's just that they don't really want to hang out with her for whatever reason. Could have something to do with whatever terrible event happened involving Noelle's sister, or maybe they just drifted apart for more mundane reasons.

I agree Kris' feelings towards Susie aren't a romantic thing though.

Awareness was probably the wrong word. But since Kris is normally not outgoing at all imposing themselves on someone else sounds out of their character.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
ralsei has no respect for personal space and needs to stop hugging and touching people without asking first

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I'm actually really curious what's up with Kris and Noelle's relationship.

Like, clearly they were close friends at one point, even if Kris mostly demonstrated that through constant terrorism (and, in fact, still does default to that if Chapter 2 is any indication). But Noelle specifically likes being scared, reflects that Kris used to give her gifts in the past, and is clearly happy that Kris is paying attention to her again and wants to reconnect --which suggests that at some point, they stopped hanging out, and Kris was the one who pulled away.

Definitely sounds like they used to be best friends when they were small, until something changed the dynamic and made Kris even more isolated. Possibly the Dess stuff, though we need more context on why that would make Kris uncomfortable with hanging out, rather than turn Noelle into a hermit.

Even now, evidence suggests that Kris has complicated emotions regarding Noelle (or just really likes teasing her) but doesn't actually dislike her, so I really wonder what the background is here.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 19, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my guess is Kris became far more reclusive after the one-two punch of Dess’s disappearance and their parents’ divorce. most of the hometown dialogue in chapter 1 suggests Asriel is the only person they remained close to

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

I'm guessing that Dess's dissapearance and Asgore's firing are related. Maybe Kris/Asriel had something to do with it and Asgore covered for them, or maybe Dess was fleeing an abusive home life and Asgore refused to stop her.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
i really liked asgore in undertale and felt like he gets a raw deal at the end no matter what path you're on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i really liked asgore in undertale and felt like he gets a raw deal at the end no matter what path you're on

it's gonna be weird watching a bunch of old darkner flowerpeople compete for the attention of the most divorced video game character