Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Is the price for these listed anywhere yet? They’re usually about 100-125 Britain bucks, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

AnEdgelord posted:

Soulblight is by far the best one. You will use everything in there except maybe the skeletons and even then you may end up using them eventually since the only thing holding them back is zombies being better at their job.

All the other ones seem kinda middling, especially the Slaanesh one. Though thats probably because every unit in the Slaanesh Battletome sucks.
I would say Slanesh is decent but only on the back of being most cohesive. Buy another box of archers (who are bad but get some use), grab lord of pain to make myrmidesh battleline and build from there. Throw slangors through the window. On the other hand, Lumineth one is a random grab bag and soulblight get two halves that do not gel together (but the units by themselves are decent)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oh no...The bonereapers is the army I wanted to start collecting....any chance these might be orderable later like with dominion or indomitus?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Battleforce is likely only here for the holidays, but all the individual parts are things you can grab any time. You'll just end up probably paying slightly more all told.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Honestly the Lumineth one isn't bad, except for the Bannerblade. The original battleforce or whatever isn't worth the money anymore anyway so this is solid. You get a decent set of infantry and cavalry, the Lord-Regent is a good hero, the Ballista is fine. Only thing really missing are Sentinels and a Cathallar.

I guess the bladelords don't really make a ton of sense since there's no Scinari in that box to bodyguard.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 19, 2021

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

Honestly the Lumineth one isn't bad, except for the Bannerblade. The original battleforce or whatever isn't worth the money anymore anyway so this is solid. You get a decent set of infantry and cavalry, the Lord-Regent is a good hero, the Ballista is fine. Only thing really missing are Sentinels and a Cathallar.

I guess the bladelords don't really make a ton of sense since there's no Scinari in that box to bodyguard.
Add Teclis with those Sentinels and the Scinari and you already have 2000 points!

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So I'm bored at work so did a point rundown of the boxes for whomever it might matter
OBR: Can make a legal 1000 pts army, box clocks on 1140 pts
LRL: Is legal at 1000 points but is only around 815 pts, so some additional purchase would be required
HOS: 1030(sligltly more if you build painbringers as twinsouls) but only has one battleline. This can be remedied by grabbing lord of pain as general.
SG: Only 875 but you get two standard battlelines and a conditional one. 125 left over is about the cost of necromancer

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/dragons-are-on-their-way-but-not-before-a-quick-balance-pass

So apparently GW has done something as unheard of as in doing more playtesting and subsequently dragons are seeing a points increase. There's also a balance sheet for AoS coming next month.
No word on when the dragons themselves will land though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Good job GW. Now if only they'd stop writing the imperium as unambiguous good guys in the vast majority of their fiction.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
The Battleforce boxes have become a bit of a trap, imo. I've bought two so far - the Skaven one from two years ago, and the Tzeentch Arcanite one the year before. Both times, the armies have been nerfed into the ground afterwards and are in really rough shape now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Looking forward to the balance update next month, I wonder what other shifts are coming.

E: also if you think Tzeentch is in a bad place right now, I’m not sure what you’re looking at. Tzeentch remains an extremely powerful faction.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/dragons-are-on-their-way-but-not-before-a-quick-balance-pass

So apparently GW has done something as unheard of as in doing more playtesting and subsequently dragons are seeing a points increase. There's also a balance sheet for AoS coming next month.
No word on when the dragons themselves will land though.
Dragons are still crazy powerful. I'm getting at least 2 boxes :smaug:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Good job GW. Now if only they'd stop writing the imperium as unambiguous good guys in the vast majority of their fiction.

It's bizarre that they do considering they just dropped this article https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

I'm not a big fan of Stormcast, but at least some of the lore I've read firmly puts them in "not good guy, just against Chaos" category. The snippet that comes to mind is when they "saved" a village from a Chaos incursion. After the Chaos forces were beaten (nurgle, iirc) the villagers ran up saying "thank you for saving us". The leader just said "we weren't saving you, we were stopping Chaos" then proceeded to order the execution of the entire village to prevent any tainting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Stormcast being good guys depends entirely on which Stormcast group you're dealing with. Some of them are genuinely great people who love and protect, like the Hallowed Knights and the Anvils of the Heldenhammer.

Others are just the worst loving people, as bad as the worst of the Space Marines, like the Knights Excelsior or the Celestial Vindicators.

e: the core ones, the gold and blue Hammers of Sigmar, are very much 'well i guess you aren't the worst but you guys have done some bad poo poo'

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Stormcast being good guys depends entirely on which Stormcast group you're dealing with. Some of them are genuinely great people who love and protect, like the Hallowed Knights and the Anvils of the Heldenhammer.

Others are just the worst loving people, as bad as the worst of the Space Marines, like the Knights Excelsior or the Celestial Vindicators.

e: the core ones, the gold and blue Hammers of Sigmar, are very much 'well i guess you aren't the worst but you guys have done some bad poo poo'

The Hammers started out as one of the more heroic, but the sheer amount of deaths they have had have darkened many of it's members.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Floppychop posted:

It's bizarre that they do considering they just dropped this article https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

I'm not a big fan of Stormcast, but at least some of the lore I've read firmly puts them in "not good guy, just against Chaos" category. The snippet that comes to mind is when they "saved" a village from a Chaos incursion. After the Chaos forces were beaten (nurgle, iirc) the villagers ran up saying "thank you for saving us". The leader just said "we weren't saving you, we were stopping Chaos" then proceeded to order the execution of the entire village to prevent any tainting.

To go with what Mors said those Stormcast where the Knights Excelcior generally considered the most evil Stormhost.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I never paid attention to the dragons and holy poo poo their warscrolls are insane.

The really good news in that rebalancing article is that AoS is getting the same quarterly rebalancing efforts as 40k which is great.

Talas posted:

Add Teclis with those Sentinels and the Scinari and you already have 2000 points!

the $$/points value on Teclis is really good if nothing else

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Finally got around to buying a start collecting tzeentch deamons box to start my first army. Probably not the best choice for a first army but I like the models a lot so whatever.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 20, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
At every stage in the Tzeentch battletome there was a simple choice and a complicated one and the writers chose violence.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's a very complex faction to play but an incredibly powerful and versatile one.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ugly John posted:

The Battleforce boxes have become a bit of a trap, imo. I've bought two so far - the Skaven one from two years ago, and the Tzeentch Arcanite one the year before. Both times, the armies have been nerfed into the ground afterwards and are in really rough shape now.

I'm getting the Slaanesh one because I think the mortals look cool anyways, plus Warcry usage.

Slaanesh can't get any worse, right?

Right?

:ohdear:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

So I'm bored at work so did a point rundown of the boxes for whomever it might matter
OBR: Can make a legal 1000 pts army, box clocks on 1140 pts
LRL: Is legal at 1000 points but is only around 815 pts, so some additional purchase would be required
HOS: 1030(sligltly more if you build painbringers as twinsouls) but only has one battleline. This can be remedied by grabbing lord of pain as general.
SG: Only 875 but you get two standard battlelines and a conditional one. 125 left over is about the cost of necromancer

Thanks for this, I've been thinking about OBR

Do I need anything extra for OBRs past that?

(also side question: are 500pt armies in AoS a thing?)

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm getting the Slaanesh one because I think the mortals look cool anyways, plus Warcry usage.

Slaanesh can't get any worse, right?

Right?

:ohdear:

1. You are responding to a guy who says Tzeentch was nerfed to the ground, so I would take that statement with a grain of salt
2. Slanesh is easy to fix since what brings them down hardest is pricing (180 pts for archers wtf is that)

GreenBuckanneer posted:

500 points is not really supported, but you can start playing Path to Glory at around that level(600 more likely) if you have people for it. Game is not really build for games smaller than 1000 pts beyond PtG imho.

As far as contents of the box I'm not super savvy on OBR but since you can already build legal 1000 list I think you might either bulk up on guard or add some cavalry/additional stalkers.

Covermeinsunshine fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 20, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

1. You are responding to a guy who says Tzeentch was nerfed to the ground, so I would take that statement with a grain of salt
2. Slanesh is easy to fix since what brings them down hardest is pricing (180 pts for archers wtf is that)

500 points is not really supported, but you can start playing Path to Glory at around that level(600 more likely) if you have people for it. Game is not really build for games smaller than 1000 pts beyond PtG imho.

As far as contents of the box I'm not super savvy on OBR but since you can already build legal 1000 list I think you might either bulk up on guard or add some cavalry/additional stalkers.

What kinda size table do you need for that, my friend has a roughly 5x2 table that we play on for smaller 40k battles.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What kinda size table do you need for that, my friend has a roughly 5x2 table that we play on for smaller 40k battles.

Games 750-100 use 30" - 44" size. From up there to 2000 its 44x60. Gw sells this cardboard-mat packs (you don't need them, of course) and a single pack of those is sized for 1000 points.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oops!

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 20, 2021

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

JBP posted:

I want Guilliman to set up the second empire and attract the kind of progressives and cartoon hero humans, while the absolute lunatic factions go to the old guard and terra is considered the point that one type of evil radiates from

Wrong thread homeslice

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

For 2k points add Katakros with Arkhan, or if you want to go cheap, just add Nagash. Replace the Soulreaper and the Harvester with another 20 Mortek Guard and 5 Kavalos Deathriders.

Soulreaper is one of the worst OBR units and the Harvester has always underperformed for me. The Guard is much better, survivable and punchy, Kavalos for speed and grab objectives and the heroes I mentioned can bring back a bunch of models every turn.

OBR is not in the best place of the meta, thanks to the fact that you can't stack command abilities and they can't use the generic ones, so you've to think way more about what to use depending the situation.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Lucinice posted:

Finally got around to buying a start collecting tzeentch deamons box to start my first army. Probably not the best choice for a first army but I like the models a lot so whatever.

Actually got a question before I assemble these. Few months ago I asked here about how to build a 1000 point army and I had my general as a changecaster on burning chariot but like are they even any good? It seems like it probably isn't.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/21/dragons-outcasts-petite-knights-and-a-cave-troll-in-this-massive-sunday-preview/

For those who wanted dragons, it is time to prepare your wallet for they go up on pre-order next weekend.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/21/dragons-outcasts-petite-knights-and-a-cave-troll-in-this-massive-sunday-preview/

For those who wanted dragons, it is time to prepare your wallet for they go up on pre-order next weekend.
A Christmas miracle! :smaug:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Not usually. They go up on a Saturday afternoon EST and typically will have a promise that if you get in during the window you will get the thing because they’re made to order.

Thanks, looking forward to getting my new toy in 4-6 business months

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Aren't the Knights supposed to be Forge World? I thought Forge World stuff usually got a seperate mention, but I didn't see that mentioned at all in this article. If they're just GW... sweet, does anyone have any suggestions for what I can use them for in 40k standard? I kind of want an entire army of tiny knights in 40k.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There are plastic AT knights. The Acastus, Cerastus and Questoris are available from the GW store in this case.
But they're like the size of a terminator so maybe combat servitors for AdMech?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

'Despite their diminutive stature, these resin Forge World Knights are packed with crisp detail, just like their larger siblings.'

- From the article on the 15th.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

I didn't say Tzeentch, I said Tzeentch *Arcanites*, which is specifically the Tzaangor side, not the demons. There is a *big* difference.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
You ever have an idea for a scheme and that translates exactly to the result? This wasn't quite that but I did get something different than the horizontal or vertical rainbow gradients I usually see.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/22/win-an-entire-year-of-warhammer-releases-in-our-biggest-competition-ever/

Spend a lot on warhammer for six weeks to get warhammer for 12 months.
Or send a form for one entry to the drawing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I guessed 3 but I worry the answer was 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Same - I figured that the conductor on the right doesn't count as caroling because he has a shape that is very distinct from a musical note near his head whereas the other three all have notes.

Joke's gonna be on us though when it turns out we over-analyzed the world's easiest question.