Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Daycare colds suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good soup! posted:

Daycare colds suck

yeah it’s a crazy amount of stress right now and knocks out having childcare for a solid week. wait till the really lovely stuff like croup comes back.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah if you're lucky the kid will just have croup once in daycare. Loved driving to the ER at 1am in snow to get relief for croup.

do kids who stay at home until grade school just catch up with a poo poo load of illnesses first year in school? I figured daycare put my kid through immune system training.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Benagain posted:

My parents allowed us to stay up late to watch episodes of Masterpiece Theater on PBS, which was really clever now that I think about it.

watching hockey on broadcast TV with my dad and stove-popped home grown popcorn is my go-to child memory

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

sonatinas posted:

yeah if you're lucky the kid will just have croup once in daycare. Loved driving to the ER at 1am in snow to get relief for croup.

do kids who stay at home until grade school just catch up with a poo poo load of illnesses first year in school? I figured daycare put my kid through immune system training.

That's what my kids' pediatrician has said. They'll be exposed eventually one way or another.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah it’s a crazy amount of stress right now and knocks out having childcare for a solid week. wait till the really lovely stuff like croup comes back.

oh hey we just got notified about a croup case in our kids toddler room at daycare

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Benagain posted:

oh hey we just got notified about a croup case in our kids toddler room at daycare

that one will gently caress you up when it happens it’s like boom 104+ fever out of nowhere. and always in the middle of the night.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that one will gently caress you up when it happens it’s like boom 104+ fever out of nowhere. and always in the middle of the night.

it’s the worst to hear a barking in the middle of the night and you don’t have a dog.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh god my partner gave our 2 year old a banana and a few minutes later found her with the dog in his crate sharing the banana together :3: :barf:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

sonatinas posted:

That's been the experience with my kids. My eldest was in some form of childcare since infancy, over the years they caught all the colds, hand foot and mouth disease, the works.

Because of the timing with Covid, our youngest was never in any sort of childcare. From birth till toddler, they were never sick. That is until they started daycare this past September. Colds colds colds, all the fuckin colds. The little one is just doing a fuckin speed run it sucks rear end.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oh god my partner gave our 2 year old a banana and a few minutes later found her with the dog in his crate sharing the banana together :3: :barf:

your child's class is Beastmaster

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

your child's class is Beastmaster

She is unusually good with the dog... :thunk:

Hell, it'd make my job easier

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have a wizard with low dex and a high charisma druid. It's pretty funny.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Three year old just described herself as "odd like a theropod.'

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i love it when my kid says something hilarious and then I hate it when I later figure out he's literally just repeating a line from a Netflix cartoon.

even worse when he and his brother conspire to recreate entire snippets of repartee that are whole cloth stolen from some show.

god dammit.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Thanks for the advice regarding my son's anemia. The blood test didn't show anything too scary so he's eating iron supplements until the next blood test. He seems to like it, it's chocolate flavored.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i love it when my kid says something hilarious and then I hate it when I later figure out he's literally just repeating a line from a Netflix cartoon.

even worse when he and his brother conspire to recreate entire snippets of repartee that are whole cloth stolen from some show.

god dammit.

Yeah, it's kind of impressive when they go off and recite 2 minutes of monologue about dinosaurs perfectly though.

The pro move is to get them hooked on something classic. My ex and her family would do the same thing with Shakespeare, and that seemed sophisticated.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
TIL if my 2yo is trying to pitch a bullshit tantrum because she doesn't like that i said no to something, i can just mock her crying to her face and go WAHHH WAHHH and laugh, and she thinks it's hilarious. Instant mood change! Dunno if this would work with any other kids or if it's just cuz it's my kid

In this case she was mad because i told her she couldn't climb and stand on the coffee table, because I'm a tyrant

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i remember once a friend of mine said "haha my son said something so funny today. he said 'watch out for my butt!'"

and I was like dude that is from fuckn Frozen.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

TIL if my 2yo is trying to pitch a bullshit tantrum because she doesn't like that i said no to something, i can just mock her crying to her face and go WAHHH WAHHH and laugh, and she thinks it's hilarious. Instant mood change! Dunno if this would work with any other kids or if it's just cuz it's my kid

In this case she was mad because i told her she couldn't climb and stand on the coffee table, because I'm a tyrant

once a moderator always a moderator

one week away from new baby. my wife is tired as hell and she says im the one doing the nesting as i clean every inch of our apartment. i just want to be a good dad!!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I thought you already had kiddos!

Best of luck fwiw the 2 weeks before my first was born I was a completely manic blubbering mess. So much stress and uncertainty were coursing through my veins. I also remember my wife asking me things like, 'if we get in a car accident in the middle of nowhere and I'm pinned in the car from the waist down, I want you promise you'll cut the baby out of my stomach even if it kills me. Promise me!'

It's kind of normal I think, so try and enjoy the ride! I'll be thinking about you fellow poster and family! I'm really happy for you its an amazing journey. :)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dreylad posted:

once a moderator always a moderator

one week away from new baby. my wife is tired as hell and she says im the one doing the nesting as i clean every inch of our apartment. i just want to be a good dad!!

Enjoy your last week of sleep for a while! Gl hf

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Thanks! Looking forward to it, sleepless nights and all.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

we bought bulbs that removed blue lights for when we had to wake up at night and feed the baby. made middle of the night feeding a lot better and baby wasn’t blinded too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

we've just had a steady nightlight situation everywhere in our house since we had kids. as they started walking and waking up at night we just put them all over.

i like the subtle green glow ones that look like an old timex watch glow.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pro newborn tip: you and your partner each take on a task for night time stuff. Like if one feeds, the other burps/changes diaper.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

What's the proper response when your 3 year old is playing on the playground and another kid comes up to her and tells her "You don't need that mask, covid isn't real"?

I wasn't sure how to get out of that one without starting a fistfight in front of my kid with the other kid's parents, so we just had to leave.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah i would just leave.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

What's the proper response when your 3 year old is playing on the playground and another kid comes up to her and tells her "You don't need that mask, covid isn't real"?

I wasn't sure how to get out of that one without starting a fistfight in front of my kid with the other kid's parents, so we just had to leave.

tell the other kid Santa isn't real either and bounce

nah just leave

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"dad this tortellini is pretty spicy"

what the fuuuuuck

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My friends niece calls seltzer water "spicy water" lol

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
my 4 year old also calls any kind of spearmint or similar gum “spicy gum”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

spicy doesn’t necessarily mean spicy hot. my kids slam Creole seasoning on everything. but we still get “this is too spicy”. it mean there is too much of a particular taste, not just hot. this is too spicy = this has too many parsnips yesterday.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter turned 10 months old this week and she is probably a week or two away from sprinting through our home and I am going to be joker laughing about how fast she is going to be bouncing around

She has my sense of balance and her mom's determination we are hosed

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

baby gates, do access control.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

put round door knobs on all your doors it'll buy you time

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

also hope you got all you’re baby proofing done. that’s basically the deadline.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Good soup! posted:

My friends niece calls seltzer water "spicy water" lol

my daughter does this and it's super cute

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

We were watching Survivor tonight and there's an all African American alliance and they were talking about about how hard 2020 was, so we paused the show and had a long talk with our kids (10 + 7 and we're white canadians) about George Floyd and Black Lives Matter. I'm a bit emotional about it still, but it was really good. It was an easy talk tbh because they have biracial cousins so they understood the anger of 'what if someone treated those cousins badly because of their skin color,' but the racist police part blew their poor innocent minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Also we had half a bottle of tequila in us, but we totally nailed it