Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I am getting a strange error message whenever I try to update my LP with the latest update; specifically, this:

it says i'm 'triggering the security service' with my post but I'm...literally just trying to post an update, lol. I even tried it in the test poster and that went through without an issue, so I don't know what I could have done to cause this :shrug: I can reply in other threads with zero issue, and there's nothing particularly different about this update either, it's all lpix images and text and that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Can you post the text you're trying to post on, like, Pastebin or something? Sometimes there's some fairly specific security rules that have something to do with trying to post code but probably have more false positives than were actually triggered correctly.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Huh, that's really weird, I've never seen that before. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Maybe you should page an admin (probably astral) or make a thread about this in the tech forum.

Or maybe you're trying to secretly hack the forum.
Or it's some kinda false positive of some security check.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mix. posted:

I am getting a strange error message whenever I try to update my LP with the latest update; specifically, this:

it says i'm 'triggering the security service' with my post but I'm...literally just trying to post an update, lol. I even tried it in the test poster and that went through without an issue, so I don't know what I could have done to cause this :shrug: I can reply in other threads with zero issue, and there's nothing particularly different about this update either, it's all lpix images and text and that's it

I guess CloudFlare doesn't like something in your post and is thinking it's a hacking attempt or something like that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IGgy IGsen posted:

Huh, that's really weird, I've never seen that before. I didn't even know that was a thing.

Maybe you should page an admin (probably astral) or make a thread about this in the tech forum.

I'd say post it in the Technical Issues Thread. Also, add this:

TheMcD posted:

Can you post the text you're trying to post on, like, Pastebin or something? Sometimes there's some fairly specific security rules that have something to do with trying to post code but probably have more false positives than were actually triggered correctly.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TheMcD posted:

done: https://pastebin.com/LmbsivzT

also crossposted in technical issues, i wasn't sure whether to put it here or there since i thought that was for, like, hardware issues and stuff :v:

Mix. fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 16, 2021

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

EDIT: OK, it's something with the equations. Once I remove them I can post it fine. Ask Astral about it, he should be able to figure out what's going on.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

That looks more normal than some of the poo poo I've done so I'm not sure what the problem could be, unless I'm missing something.

So uh... unless someone else catches something egregious:

Kheldarn posted:

I'd say post it in the Technical Issues Thread. Also, add this:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: OK, it's something with the equations. Once I remove them I can post it fine. Ask Astral about it, he should be able to figure out what's going on.

I can remove those easily, it's not like they're vital to the update or anything :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's almost certain to me that the equations are triggering some sort of code detection system. At some point the software just sees 23+12=35 and shits itself thinking it's malicious code.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Something as basic as that still shouldn't make any systems tremble in fear but I don't know how it's set up or how truly evil basic math can be.
Maybe posting about it in the aforementioned thread could be a good idea either way.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Specifically, it appears to be:

) and 22=24

The world's worst SQL injection mitigation, seriously...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah it let me update it the second i cut all the math out :v: thanks for the assistance

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Something Awful Forums: No Maths Allowed

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow, LP really DOES rot your brain!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

No one seems to have done Fuga:Melodies of Steel so far. I checked the master list etc.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

illegal LP update. not allowed

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hi, I'd like to solicit some advice. I've been working on a plan to make a thread/threads chronicling my play through FF14's expansions, starting with Heavensward. For the last six months since I started the game I've been writing about the Realm Reborn base game in the MMO-HMO discussion thread, but since I'm moving into an expansion now we all agreed it'd be a good idea to make a new thread here rather than clogging up the main chat thread with giant spoiler blocks or risking having the game ruined for me by posting in the Spoiler thread.

I've been working on getting several posts ready to launch it, and doing so left me with a small quandary: how much information about the Realm Reborn portion of the game should I lay out before I just launch into the stuff I'm actually covering? Final Fantasy 14 is a story that's all about the little details and set-up and payoff. I know I want to have a Dramatis Personae section that I can update as I go, and that I can use that to share information about my existing character relationships and past events. But in term of the actual plot, would it be better to start with a brief retelling of the ARR plot, something like the Mass Effect 2 Genesis DLC that lays out what I've been through before this? Or would it be better to just begin Already In Progress and pause for asides/flashbacks if I feel like they're relevant or necessary context?

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I would link to your website with the previous write ups so those who want to follow along can catch up that way. That way you don't have to spend a half dozen updates doing a "Previously on..." style catchup.

You did a really good job summarizing everything in the XIV thread with those updates! This way you can even link to and reference specific updates and so on if you need to.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I have a question I'd be interested in asking people here about; I know there are at least a few with relevant experience that would be helpful. It's a 'running a YouTube channel' type question, not an 'LP' question as such. I don't know if this is the right place on SA for it, or if there even *is* a right place on SA for that kind of thing, I'm not really sure where it should go. So first off I'm just asking where if anywhere round these parts is appropriate.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:justpost:

if there's a better place to post the question, we won't know until you ask it

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 20, 2021

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Alrighty. Brief background; I've been running my YouTube channel semi-seriously for almost four years now. It is the fault of people here at SA in large degree, because I was accused of being good enough in the original Master of Orion LP that ended up having someone gift me the avatar I'm still using and people thought I should stream and make videos and even though I thought I sucked at that (and did at first), it was the push I needed. There have been good moments, there have been bad moments, it's been mostly rewarding, but I also came to the conclusion this year that I was approaching my ceiling. Growth was slowing down, and nothing I tried in terms of improving my content was moving the needle. So I had accepted that it wasn't going to go much further and just leaned into what I enjoy for the most part.

The Historic Perspectives project, for those who don't know what it is, has been a passion-project sideline of mine for over a year. Journeying through human history told mostly through the medium of games. It's generally done pretty poorly compared to my more conventional strategy game-type LPs & tutorials. Then I made a video about the Giza monuments and the Great Pyramid of Khufu in particular as part of that late last month. For the first 10 days, it tracked right along with what a normal video does, which for me was a disappointment. But then this happened:

This is my first-ever low-key viral video. For context, it's been viewed twice as many times in the last 24 hours as my previous peak day of traffic for my entire channel. I've had as many new subscribers today as I usually get in two months. That's not an ego trip thing, a ton of this at least is me just getting lucky and the mysterious impenetrable ways of the Algorithm smiling on me. It's showing signs in CTR, viewer retention, etc. that it's probably not going to scale up much more than this, I don't know how long the wave lasts, all of that is just taking it as it comes.

That sets up my main question and reason for posting: have any of you had experience, or have unexperienced advice, about how to deal with a situation like this where there's one group of viewers that is stable but is looking for at least somewhat different content than another large group of 'incoming'. I want to do the best thing for the channel and for the audience, but I've never gone through this before so I don't know what that looks like, any possible 'best practices' on transitioning the balance of content to hopefully satisfy the new people while not alienating the old people. Or maybe I shouldn't even try to do that. Just looking for feedback from a community whose opinions I value.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 20, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Amanda Golka has done a number of videos how she basically went viral, and it turned her YouTube channel from a hobby into a full paying job. But also without compromises. She just continued to do what she did before (as people expected) instead of chasing trends. She's not exploding in subs, but her channel has pretty stable views and growth without her overworking herself. Which seems like a healthy attitude to have.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Remember, your virality was attracted by who 'you' are in the first place.
Don't change who 'you' are because you get popular, or you'll risk abandoning what drew people in the first place.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

My take on stuff like this has always been "Just do what you want to do" but that's not really great advice if you want to grow your channel or capitalize on an influx of new eyes from an unusually popular, but different, video.

A single video that does really well isn't really much of a needle mover though. You'll have to consistently put out stuff a particular type of audience enjoys.

I guess you'll have to ask yourself the question:
Is this hobby where you do what YOU want?
Or do you want to take it a step further and do what an audience wants?

Also, views aren't really a great metric on their own. You've already mentioned that you didn't get many more new subscribers for example. What about comments and other forms of engagement that you can find in the dashboard?
Chances are your video simply showed up in more people's search results for one reason or another. Can be a different set of tags you used or words in the title or subscription. This at least used to be something you could also check in your analytics.

Personally and anecdotally I noticed that people who followed me for my normal LP stuff didn't give a crap about the e-wresting I started putting out more predominantly. So I moved that to a new channel (after already spamming my original one with the new content for over a year.)
I never did any meaningful numbers with either type of content though, because the new type was even more niche than the LPs I did. So rather than hopes of growth this was more of a consideration to people who didn't want to get bombarded with stuff they don't care about but might still be interested in staying subscribed for when I ever do a conventional LP again. So if you enjoy what you did and maybe want to branch out that's also a thing you can do. But you'd basically be starting from scratch.

Anyway, that brings me back to my original statement of "just do what you want to do." Because I don't think there's any better answer you're gonna get. Despite all the words I just wrote.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

IGgy IGsen posted:

views aren't really a great metric on their own. You've already mentioned that you didn't get many more new subscribers for example. What about comments and other forms of engagement that you can find in the dashboard?

Comments, subscribers, etc are all high - might have been a misunderstanding somehow with what I wrote but I'm actually getting a lot of subs. What I'm seeing so far is that most of them aren't doing that from the video itself ... meaning more likely they are heading to the channel page and then doing it after they see what all is there which feeds into what you were saying about 'do what you want to do'.

@Quackles - fully agree with that, I appreciate the reminder/advice.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Sanguinia posted:

Hi, I'd like to solicit some advice. I've been working on a plan to make a thread/threads chronicling my play through FF14's expansions, starting with Heavensward.

Your posts in the FF14 thread are basically LP updates so I think you can safely include them in the TOC as the primer for people who neither played ARR nor read the previous/other ARR LP. You may want to clean them up a little, though.

An option is pasting the existing updates from the FF14 thread into the test poster (https://lpix.org/sslptest/). That lets you do things like remove the newbie-friendly spoiler tags and change the timg tags to imgs with minimal hassle, and gives you linkable posts for the new LP thread. You can of course use your chronicle site instead if you want to port the rest of the updates. Using the test poster might be less work, would be consistent with the "real" posts, and lpix/the archive is probably more stable than most other hosts. Some SSLPs in slower threads are posted entirely in the test poster to keep threads light.

Only problem with having updates in the test poster is that it doesn't work with Awful.apk, post search or other forum-specific things, but that is probably the lesser evil.

nightelf_37
Oct 13, 2021

by Hand Knit
Okay. Once more into the breach. This time, it's for real.

I'm putting together a SSLP of an indie game that's been done once before as a VLP of ver. 1.6, but this one's of ver. 1.8.

Intro here

Part 1 here

It's an indie game I've been really invested in when I first found it in a torrent of many other indie games (I prefer small games due to always lacking ROM and RAM for too many AAA and other official ones), so this has a special place in my heart.

The main pictures are probably too big, but what's the smallest maximum size in terms of width and height to be tolerable here and in LP Archive?

v Whoops. FIxed.

nightelf_37 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 23, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Both of your links go to the intro page.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Extra [ on the link to the undertale LP my man

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Okay, nightelf_37, you're doing a game that I actually like this time, so I'll be slightly kinder toward you. Iji is not a game that works in an SSLP—not only does inserting the logs the way you're doing break a ton of flow, especially when later areas will have much more text to go through, there are several segments of the game that have visual language that simply doesn't translate without at least some indicator of the actual motion. Not to mention that putting the game in an SSLP necessarily increases the length of time everything takes for a game that takes like an hour or two to beat if you're hustling. You have admittedly improved from the unbelievable trash that was your last attempt at this, and I respect that you like the game a lot—again, so do I—but you aren't the person to LP Iji if this is all you're capable of giving it. Your presentation is slow, uninspired, and lacking, the base concept you're working from is inherently shaky ground, and you will still never become loved by doing a Let's Play on Something Awful. Thanks. Bye.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Okay, nightelf_37, you're doing a game that I actually like this time, so I'll be slightly kinder toward you. Iji is not a game that works in an SSLP—not only does inserting the logs the way you're doing break a ton of flow, especially when later areas will have much more text to go through, there are several segments of the game that have visual language that simply doesn't translate without at least some indicator of the actual motion. Not to mention that putting the game in an SSLP necessarily increases the length of time everything takes for a game that takes like an hour or two to beat if you're hustling. You have admittedly improved from the unbelievable trash that was your last attempt at this, and I respect that you like the game a lot—again, so do I—but you aren't the person to LP Iji if this is all you're capable of giving it. Your presentation is slow, uninspired, and lacking, the base concept you're working from is inherently shaky ground, and you will still never become loved by doing a Let's Play on Something Awful. Thanks. Bye.

This post is so brutal I feel like I should take have someone on Etsy engrave it on a butterfly knife or something. Holy poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

This post is so brutal I feel like I should take have someone on Etsy engrave it on a butterfly knife or something. Holy poo poo.

Might as well do it on a kitchen knife if you want the entire thing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

All right kiddo, you better not mess with me cos if you do you'll make aquaintance with my two friends...

and

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Kinu Nishimura posted:

Okay, nightelf_37, you're doing a game that I actually like this time, so I'll be slightly kinder toward you.

That sounds like progress to me. You're getting closer nightelf_37. Closer to the day when Nishimura-senpai finally notices you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No, I'm pretty sure nightelf_37 has been thoroughly noticed.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

ultrafilter posted:

No, I'm pretty sure nightelf_37 has been thoroughly noticed.

Yeah, but if I had said "respected", Kinu probably would have blown a blood vessel.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

When one's posts cut so deep that they get engraved on kitchen knives we're far beyond gaining people's respect.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Just you wait everyone, we're going to see the greatest redemption arc of all time. He'll take all of this advice and use it to create an amazing LP that brings people from far and wide, the next Danganronpa LP. People will be spreading the word all over social media like "Yo the amputee sex guy made the greatest LP of this generation!" and people will have to pay $10 to come see it for themselves.

Don't let me down, nightelf_37! I know the rest of the goons are rooting for you too, they just have trouble showing their affection, like a schoolboy bullying the girl he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
perversely, all the jokes almost makes me want to see someone do an LP of the hosed up pokemon romhack

probably not nightelf_37 tho, he doesn't seem very good.