Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1461379266873069578

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

That all sounds really cool and should deliver on their "Navies Matter" promise. I like that port buildings upkeep a given amount of merchant ships. It represents that there were enormous shoreside support industries, employing masses of people, to make global trade possible. And they haven't finished blockades yet, but I imagine it can be made very elegant - you just say that a bockaded port building can't produce or be a Lane destination. Maybe this also puts the dockworker pops out of work and now the blockaded party has a Problem.

Perhaps they could give us some more control over Shipping Lanes, so that we might avoid raiders via a longer route, naturally at the cost of more Convoys to maintain the Lane. You'd need constraints to avoid finicky micro of course. You don't want a tedious situation where someone is continually moving their Lane, and the other side is having to continually update their raider orders to match.

Fray fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 18, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

"There are currently no political parties in the game."
[Booing]
"OK, fine, look we put the Tories in."
[Booing intensifies]

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Fray posted:

That all sounds really cool and should deliver on their "Navies Matter" promise. I like that port buildings upkeep a given amount of merchant ships. It represents that there were enormous shoreside support industries, employing masses of people, to make global trade possible. And they haven't finished blockades yet, but I imagine it can be made very elegant - you just say that a bockaded port building can't produce or be a Lane destination. Maybe this also puts the dockworker pops out of work and now the blockaded party has a Problem.

Perhaps they could give us some more control over Shipping Lanes, so that we might avoid raiders via a longer route, naturally at the cost of more Convoys to maintain the Lane. You'd need constraints to avoid finicky micro of course. You don't want a tedious situation where someone is continually moving their Lane, and the other side is having to continually update their raider orders to match.

Just have a spin up and cool down time for convoys and you would be all set. It could be something you do when you are anticipating conflicts. Move convoys away from belligerent coast lines to make convoy raiding more of a pain.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad we're finally learning about straits

I can't figure out what "tracing supply" means though.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 18, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'm more interested in naval changes than land. While the army ones are interesting and fit the period better than the v2 system indervidual armies still work better for eu4, but this kind of naval system could actually be portable if they crack it - HOI4 does similar but I think it's frustrated by the existence of indervidual naval ships in HOI4 and the inability to force battles.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
HoI4 also suffers from the relatively short timeframe making actually building up a significant navy from scratch basically impossible, so there are a lot of nations for whom the naval game is just off the table and they just rely on their allies who already have good navies to do the heavy lifting.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

In my experience the naval game in HoI4 is to throw as many naval bombers at the enemy fleet as you can.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

HoI IV successfully represents real-world naval battles from the time, in that engaging in one at all was a horrific risk which could have completely devastating results for reasons which might remain debatable for decades afterward even with detailed accounts from all sides.

And then, yeah, that it turns out naval aircraft are way more disposable than naval vessels while being nonetheless able to damage or sink ships.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Hellioning posted:

In my experience the naval game in HoI4 is to throw as many naval bombers at the enemy fleet as you can.

Light cruisers loaded up with the best engine and all the latest scouting equipment and nothing else and set to never engage to find the fleets then watching as the entire enemy fleet disappears under naval bombers.

Very ahistorical but also hilarious.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I just realized something wonderful. Vicky 3 is an autobattler.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

karmicknight posted:

I just realized something wonderful. Vicky 3 is an autobattler.

aw poo poo. now I'm in
can't wait to blame my poo poo general rolls for losing WW1 :cry:

edit: wait this sounds really fun??

scaterry fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 19, 2021

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The RNG is bullshit!! - Douglas Haig , 5th july 1916

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I mean that's how the actual battles (not the moving around the map) works in Victoria 2. You can have a kick rear end Six Attack uber General but if you get enough totally random attack rolls then it's 'sorry idiot have fun in dead guy town'

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I want a victoria 3 t-shirt like the ones the devs have

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I want the Train Warriors spinoff where I can play as Sherman and hit Moltke the Elder with my sabre

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need an entire victorian outfit that I get changed into every time I play.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rynoto posted:

Light cruisers loaded up with the best engine and all the latest scouting equipment and nothing else and set to never engage to find the fleets then watching as the entire enemy fleet disappears under naval bombers.

Very ahistorical but also hilarious.

that's not that ahistorical :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I want the Train Warriors spinoff where I can play as Sherman and hit Moltke the Elder with my sabre

Just make sure on the Little Bighorn map you do not pursue the Sioux.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Is there a strategy in Vicky2 to splitting up two great power alliances. As japan I want to Ally NGF or britain but theyre allied to each other and will never accept my alliance offer.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've got bad news about Victoria 2's diplomacy mechanics

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Is there a strategy in Vicky2 to splitting up two great power alliances. As japan I want to Ally NGF or britain but theyre allied to each other and will never accept my alliance offer.

Spam navy and beat them both to poo poo in a great war so one falls to rebels, easy

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Ask the Kaiser to make a public speech

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You should never want to ally Britain, they're poo poo allies.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Never Ally Perfidious Albion

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Ok, should I stop being a coward and just attack Spain's Philippines? I have 0 navy yet but have just unlocked tech for battleships and am working on naval base 4's.

They're UK's Sphere, and im all over mainland china. Sorta scared at what the AI may bring against me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Build up a navy; if you're lucky you can trick Spain into landing their whole army on a little island somewhere. Set up warships around it and they can't leave. Then start occupying everything else.

e: How's France doing. I noticed you haven't mentioned them as a potential ally.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Ok, should I stop being a coward and just attack Spain's Philippines? I have 0 navy yet but have just unlocked tech for battleships and am working on naval base 4's.

They're UK's Sphere, and im all over mainland china. Sorta scared at what the AI may bring against me.

A late game Japan can take the UK but mid-game they might have trouble. Your big advantage against the UK is that the AI tends to really suck at getting troops across the ocean so you have a lot of opportunities to pick them off in smaller groups, or even sink them with your own navy. Where the UK can cause problems is that they have a lot more troops available than you'd think so they will just keep coming and if you let them get a foothold they can start stacking ridiculous numbers that will make them impossible to dislodge. As Japan you also have a ridiculously huge army available, but you want to make sure you get them out there into enemy territory as quickly as possible rather than getting them all trapped on the home islands. A real spicy strategy is to go straight for the British isles themselves, but they might be too far away for you to reach. You're probably better off just camping the war goal and letting ticking warscore do its thing for you (although Victoria 2 AI can be kind of annoying where you can have a warscore well beyond what it says you need to win, and they just refuse to accept your demands because they haven't really lost anything).

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is maybe a dumb ask but could someone give me the like, experienced Paradox person's pitch on Victoria? It's the one I've never really been able to sink my brainteeth into and the dev diaries on 3 look great. What's the elevator pitch for crazy grand strategy people if CK is characters, EU is map painting, etc.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orv posted:

This is maybe a dumb ask but could someone give me the like, experienced Paradox person's pitch on Victoria? It's the one I've never really been able to sink my brainteeth into and the dev diaries on 3 look great. What's the elevator pitch for crazy grand strategy people if CK is characters, EU is map painting, etc.

Victoria is a socio-political-economic simulator, set during the hundred year period when humanity experienced its most rapid upheaval in those areas.

Also, the V2 warfare talk uppage makes me really glad that the devs are trying something different this time.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Orv posted:

victoria is about crashing the economy, hopefully in a way that helps you but probably just fucks over everyone instead

it is also about trains

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Orv posted:

its the greatest computer game ever made

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Orv posted:

it's a political/economic simulator from a period of history recent enough that you can apply your understanding of contemporary politics and economics (and turn your country of choice into a strife-torn hellhole)

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Orv posted:

Nation-gardening interrupted by the UK/USA/Germany/France suddenly running over and kicking your sandcastle causing you to develop a decades long grudge that results in the utter annihilation of said nation.

Edit: Also (multiple) WW1(s).

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 21, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Orv posted:

Victoria is about the people. Not CK-like characters representing the ruling class of your country, but the masses of people, their material circumstances, and their political ideals. Victoria covers a period where most of the world found their lives drastically changed by industrialization, and so you oversee this transition. Basically every gameplay system in Victoria is centered around units called Pops, representing your country's population. Pops have jobs which can either produce natural resources, turn resources into other resources, or provide some kind of service that either modifies other pops' production or provides some kind of resource to the state (like soldiers or "bureaucracy"). Pops have needs like food and clothing and they engage in trade to acquire them. Pops have political beliefs which influence the way they vote of your country has elections, which can potentially allow them to join rebellions, and which are affected to a large extent by their economic conditions. You may be kind of familiar with pops in Stellaris, but pops in Victoria are a lot more complex and autonomous. Most of what you do outside the realm of war and diplomacy is some degree of nudging pops one way or another, like into different jobs, or providing government services for your pops, or building railroads, etc, and exactly what you can do is further determined by your country's laws. If CK is an RPG and EU4 is a map painter, then Victoria is a society-builder.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 21, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
All good answers, thanks everyone. Definitely gonna keep an eye on 3, we'll see if I dare installing 2 that I apparently already somehow own.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
2 is equal parts amazing and frustrating tedium. it has the highest highs of any current PDS game, and the lowest lows.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
If you're the type of mapgame player who plays not to paint the map but to craft a story or create your ideal country, Victoria is the closest series to your ideal gameplay. Because its mechanics reflect the entire country--not just provinces, not just armies, but every living person in the country--it shows better than any of Paradox's other games what it really means to your people and your nation when you do something. If you expand your industry, your country prospers not just because a number went up on an abstract development counter but because that industry means your pops are earning wages and making goods that other pops want to consume. If you go to war, your pops will suffer for it, not just because an abstract war exhaustion counter went up but because some of them loving died, they're gone, and you can't get them back.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I definitely started as a map painter exclusively, back in the light amounts of EU3 I played and then CK2. These days I'm more interested in letting a story develop or at its most gamified going for some of the more bizarre achievements that sort of make stories happen by force, so that sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if you really want to succumb to the sickness install ricky and get to pop splitting

are the good ricky mods even still around anywhere?