Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
That's good to hear, nice to know that it's not really a drawback. Thanks for the replies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dumb half-measure IMO, the best roof is no roof

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Papercut posted:

What's the deal with glass roof cars? Do people with them not find it uncomfortable on sunny days?

My gf refers to me as a "daywalker" and "soulless ginger" (I'm not, i'm blonde) and the glass roof in the Ford is fine even in the constant Nevada sun.

I was fully prepared to have to apply tint to it, but so far, it isn't needed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I have a non-EV with a big sunroof and I basically don't notice it except for when I have to drive some other car and suddenly everything feels weirdly cramped and gloomy.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the opinions guys, hearing that it's not a big deal is a big weight off my shoulders in deciding on what options to potentially get if I go the polestar 2 route.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'd also like some opinions on this. I live in a pretty hot summer state so I'm afraid the polestar clear roof would cook anyone inside on 90+ degree days.

Mine came with tinting, but the glass roof is an optional feature I believe. On a sunny day I don't notice any difference from my last car, which had a metal roof

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the glass roof comes in one of the packages, I forget which one, but it was one of the main features that I liked from that package so it may determine if I pick that or not.

Also that's a gorgeous vehicle.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Dumb half-measure IMO, the best roof is no roof

When weather is perfect, sure. I like the clear roof in rainy or cold conditions

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

When weather is perfect, sure. I like the clear roof in rainy or cold conditions

Well this is an objectively wrong opinion.

No roof or no car, I say! Buy a rain coat, you big baby!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sonic Dude posted:

I can only speak for Tesla’s roof, but I’d bet they’re all basically the same. It’s really only noticeable on the hottest and brightest of days. When it was 100 degrees out and no clouds in the sky, the top of my (bald) head felt warm after a half hour of not moving. I sunburn very easily and it wasn’t anywhere close to burning, just warm. If there are any clouds or you’re moving/changing angles in relation to the sun, it’s fine. I haven’t noticed significant dirt, because it’s very tinted and I tend to wash the car every few weeks in the summer.

I was worried, too, since my old car and my wife’s current car have panoramic sunroofs (with a retractable shade) and those both got very hot in the sun. I considered ordering a clip-up roof shade before I got the car, and I’m glad I didn’t because it would have been a waste.

I’m taking a trip to the south next year in April, and I might order a shade, or I might not because the sun won’t be as intense in spring. I definitely don’t need it in the tropical paradise of Ohio, though.

This is useful information, since it stays 110 or higher for half the loving year.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Even Seattle gets 110 degree weather now lol global warming

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there any reason I can't get regular snow chains or cables for my ID.4? We're heading up to Tahoe soon and want to be prepared in case the weather turns, but I've never had an EV before and I want to make sure they're not "different" in some way.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I don't like sunroofs because they generally reduce headroom.

I need headroom because I'm close to 6' 3" with a tall torso. My wife's 2003 Mercedes C240 is a tight fit (not to mention the lack of width for my knees).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there any reason I can't get regular snow chains or cables for my ID.4? We're heading up to Tahoe soon and want to be prepared in case the weather turns, but I've never had an EV before and I want to make sure they're not "different" in some way.

Nope. The wheel arch isn't that tight either, so many different types of snow chains or socks fit. Big bonus for the fit and for the traction that it's RWD.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

My gf refers to me as a "daywalker" and "soulless ginger" (I'm not, i'm blonde) and the glass roof in the Ford is fine even in the constant Nevada sun.

I was fully prepared to have to apply tint to it, but so far, it isn't needed.

During one of my test drives of a Mach-E, I was told that Ford applies an IR coating to the windshield of Mach-Es with the glass roof to help reduce heat buildup in the cars. I have no way to verify that fact, but on the 90 degree days we got in the Midwest this summer, the car was not particularly oven like when getting into. Nothing like older cars used to feel like getting into (like my first ‘89 Mercury Sable).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Orvin posted:

During one of my test drives of a Mach-E, I was told that Ford applies an IR coating to the windshield of Mach-Es with the glass roof to help reduce heat buildup in the cars. I have no way to verify that fact, but on the 90 degree days we got in the Midwest this summer, the car was not particularly oven like when getting into. Nothing like older cars used to feel like getting into (like my first ‘89 Mercury Sable).

You could rent a FLIR camera if you're really curious (maybe looking for thermal leakage in your home as an excuse).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

I don't like sunroofs because they generally reduce headroom.

I need headroom because I'm close to 6' 3" with a tall torso. My wife's 2003 Mercedes C240 is a tight fit (not to mention the lack of width for my knees).

Sunroofs usually do because of the space the opening mechanism takes up. Glass roofs usually don’t. The Ford actually has more headroom with the glass roof. The glass is slightly thicker than the steel of course but then there’s no headliner.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sunroofs usually do because of the space the opening mechanism takes up. Glass roofs usually don’t. The Ford actually has more headroom with the glass roof. The glass is slightly thicker than the steel of course but then there’s no headliner.

Agreed. I couldn't sit up straight in the back of the model s, but the model 3 has plenty of room because of the glass roof.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I didn’t notice my Mach-E getting that warm due to the glass top at all this summer.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I test drove an E Niro, it seemed really solid aside from the much less intuitive implementation of regenerative braking compared to the one pedal driving on a Tesla. You have to use these paddles on the steering wheel and it's not terrible but it's certainly more clunky.

I just always leave it at max, don't really change modes ever (on the Ioniq, but same principle).

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Meanwhile: https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/Tesla-ranks-almost-dead-last-Consumer-Reports-16632996.php

Tesla ranks almost dead-last on Consumer Reports reliability list

quote:

Following a tumultuous year for Tesla including a company relocation helmed by CEO Elon Musk, viral reports of cars on fire and other self-admitted quality control issues, Tesla has plummeted on Consumer Reports’ annual list of most-reliable carmakers.

The electric car manufacturer now ranks 27th out of 28 car brands on Consumer Reports’ list, above only Ford-owned legacy luxury brand Lincoln. Much of it has to do with the overall instability of electric vehicles in general — especially SUVs — which Consumer Reports’ Jake Fisher said during a presentation are the “absolute bottom in terms of reliability,” according to Reuters.

But considering that, at one point, the Tesla Model S excelled so much in Consumer Reports’ own analyses that the organization itself said it was “breaking the Consumer Reports Ratings system” due to its excellence, the low rank is tough criticism for Tesla and its legions of enthusiasts.

Among the concerns Consumer Reports had for the Tesla Model S, X and Y lines, according to CNBC, were issues with “heat pumps, air conditioning” and notoriously, misaligned panels. It’s also worth noting that Tesla’s Model X ranked dead-last among all cars for reliability, scoring a 5 out of 100.

The part about “the overall instability of electric vehicles” is BS given the #2 Most Reliable slot going to the Kia Niro EV.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Also less creaking compared to sunroofs. Another bonus I've noticed is that rain falls more silent on glass compared to most roofs.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cruft posted:

Well this is an objectively wrong opinion.

No roof or no car, I say! Buy a rain coat, you big baby!
I always go motoring with goggles and a scarf like a pilot from the Great War.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Poop poop!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the typical percentage of total cost of an EV that batteries make up? I'm seeing different figures out there, some say around 30% others nearly 50%. Is there that wide of a range?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I think the current going rate for a Tesla model 3 LR battery replacement is about $18,000 out of a $51,000 vehicle which puts it at roughly 35%. Probably fairly typical for vehicles with a 60-80 kWh pack size. Larger batteries will cost more.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just read that the EV tax credit passed the house, and bumps it from $7,500 to $12,000 if the vehicle is made in the US by union workers.

Which EVs would that even include, given Tesla and GM don't qualify due to the 100k units sold thing?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
That can still change, and the new rules as written do away with the cap on # of vehicles sold.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just read that the EV tax credit passed the house, and bumps it from $7,500 to $12,000 if the vehicle is made in the US by union workers.

Which EVs would that even include, given Tesla and GM don't qualify due to the 100k units sold thing?

It includes the two bolts. Maybe the mach-e if ford jumps through a hoop to make it "made in the usa"

Also tesla isn't unionized

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Isn’t the Lightning going to be made in the USA?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Isn’t the Lightning going to be made in the USA?

Yes lighting being union built was specifically a point in the announcement event.

I drove to the KIA dealer today after a movie and they had both the 2021 Niro EV and 2022 Niro PHEV in the lot. Talked for a bit but didn’t get into the numbers yet just wanted to see the cars in person today. They looked nice. Dealer let me know they have an EV6 coming in January and hey maybe I can wait a few months and check that one out instead :getin:

The ‘21 EV was a Premium kit so it was closer to 50k which ain’t exactly cheap. Do these still qualify for the EV tax credit? I’d need that + a not terrible trade in offer to off-set the purchase for me to really consider. The ‘22 PHEV was at 31k which seemed more reasonable and the 26 miles all electric range is just enough to cover my daily commute without using gas which, given that’s 95% of my driving, would be pretty loving great.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 20, 2021

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The ‘22 PHEV was at 31k which seemed more reasonable and the 26 miles all electric range is just enough to cover my daily commute without using gas which, given that’s 95% of my driving, would be pretty loving great.

Be sure to test some interstate on ramps and overtaking at highway speeds and the like with the PHEV. The ICE kicks in early and often and it really struggles. Maybe they've improved the smoothness with the newer model years, but I don't think the total power changed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Crate 350, man.

A wankle will fit better

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I looked at a Cross Turismo in person today and, drat. That is a fine looking car. The interior quality is so far beyond Tesla it’s not even funny. From my measurements, it seems the back seat is a few inches wider than the Model 3, which might be enough to make a difference. The roof height is of course much better.

The Sport Turismo looks better in photos, imo - nicer wheels, black window trim standard, and no body cladding, but I kind of see a winter benefit to the ride height of the Cross Turismo.

I’ve had a deposit on a plaid Model X all year, and they’re now estimating delivery in January. I don’t think I can keep going with Tesla, though. Musk is just such an rear end in a top hat, and I’d rather not drive a conspicuous car that also tacitly supports that attitude. (Not that VW doesn’t suck for numerous reasons.) I can’t get past the interior quality either.

Knox, how are you feeling with your Taycan a year on?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Polestar announced that their SUV will be produced in the US, probably won't be union labor though

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Model X is also the absolute bottom of the reliability charts and is dragging the entire EV ecosystem down with its problems

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ola posted:

A common phenomenon in finance is where two values might follow each other historically but suddenly diverge. Then bets are made that they will converge again later. So when the stock market went crazy and departed its correlation with reality, many assumed it would quickly collapse. Instead, reality has gone crazy as well converged upwards with the stock market on the Y-axis of batshit.

You'll get that when the elite have managed to siphon off so much wealth that they're desperate for things to invest it in and just throwing money at yolo bets.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Speleothing posted:

Model X is also the absolute bottom of the reliability charts and is dragging the entire EV ecosystem down with its problems

It’s not surprising - it’s a dumb design that competes in a segment where reliability just isn’t important. The low ranking of the Y is way more of a problem because that’s supposed to be their volume product.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, Apples grip on reality reportedly tenuous at best.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/18/apple-reportedly-aims-to-debut-a-fully-self-driving-car-in-2025/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hm, Tech Crunch reports that Bloomberg sources claim? Definitely something there!