Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

banger after banger of comics

ahhhhh comics are so good

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zerilan posted:

It's also an even relationship, both people get as many digs in on each other as the other. There's no lopsided power dynamic and it's not everyone largely ganging up on one person.

There's enough times where they're more sniping about other things that they share (the recurring "we have no money" jokes) to break up the snipes back and forth too. In Dustin it's almost always the same person getting the dunks in.
And probably something to be said about the way the "girls cant drive!" "boys be drinking!" strips actually showing them a lot (since its a reused joke), in an exaggerated manner, and focused specifically on the two. Like Leroy does come home drunk, complete with it being late at night and his office attire all loose. Loretta does wreck the cars complete with comically coming in with just the steering wheel. And it's focused on the pair, not using them as stand ins for All Women or All Men.
Where as the strip often shits all over workers or Dustin or whoever in a way that's usually not shown or blows something out of proportion or whatever, and the general veneer of "All [demographic] are like this"

Also one of the recurring bits is them in marriage counseling with an exasperated counselor so, even "They're married....and hate each other!!!" being the entire premise aside, it's clearly in on the joke of itself and that makes things easier to swallow.

e: Also, not to over analyze gag-a-day strip about 2 married people sniping on each other as the punchline, but there's just enough slight smiles and general body language and just like surrounding set up that I can even without the sex strips kind of buy that these two people probably do, actually, in their own way, like each other and this is just what they Do.
If there was just one strip where they had no snipes and were just having a hug or making eyes at each other, I could believe they'd do that.
Where as the strip where Dustin's dad hugs Dustin just rings hollow no matter the context.

rannum fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 20, 2021

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Huxley posted:

Dustin: "I hope you die."

The Lockhorns: "I hope we both die."

Arlo and Janis: "I hope when we die they bury us in the same coffin face to crotch so we can 69 through eternity."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

What an rear end in a top hat.

Wilbur works at being a piece of poo poo

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Childhood is Hell

1) The odds aren’t zero. Probably…

2) Even lamer.

3) He’s a sociopath and went mad aeons ago.

4) No but if the shirt says “sexy grandson” you definitely should

5) :shrug:

6) That they don’t need your permission to be themselves you little poo poo.

7) In the ground, obviously.

8) Yes. Definitely.

9) No, they can only feel pain.

10) Yes, an open-mic rap battle

11) Yes but also if you vote Democrat as well. You figure out what to do with that I’m not your dad.

12) Any object can be art if you depict naked people with it.

I’d make a good dad I think…

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

Wow, Lunker was optimistic.
Lunker's too good for this or the Retail world. :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Calaveron posted:

Arlo and Janis: "I hope when we die they bury us in the same coffin face to crotch so we can 69 through eternity."

Nah that's 9CL (but without enough legs). A&J would be "when we die I want to be buried in the same coffin." "Why's that?" *whisper whisper* "OH YOU! *laugh*"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I can only hope they end this storyline with “let’s stay just friends, we’re no good as a couple,” but MW has a bad track record on things like this.

And He Did! December 9, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True January 2, 1919

Gay and Her Gang January 3, 1930

Oaky Doaks June 4, 1936

Mopsy August 12, 1937

Up Front September 15, 1944

Dark Laughter October 22, 1949

Those Were the Days April 25, 1957

Wee Pals February 24, 1966

Dogbert August 30, 1966

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Someone mentioned Caesar isn't in the TV show (I've never actually seen an episode) and I kind of wondered why. After reading this one, I think maybe I understand. It seems like most of the time Caesar is just a vehicle for a punchline, like the setup for this joke wouldn't work with Riley. And since jokes like this generally wouldn't work as well in a TV show, maybe they just figured it would be easier to get rid of Caesar entirely. It also kind of sets Huey as an "alone against the world' type rather than having someone who understands him and (mostly) agrees with him. At least that's kind of how it feels. Has there ever been any official statement on why he didn't make it into the show?

e:

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter October 22, 1949

Don't dead open inside.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 20, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days April 25, 1957

Panel 2's couple know what they want and they know how to get it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True January 2, 1919

Should we tell him?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Remember that Estelle only has a cat because Mary didn't want it.

Just wait. In six months time, Toby will get an aquarium but Ian will become jealous of the time she spends taking care of the fish. As she's explaining this problem to Mary, they'll run into Estelle...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals February 24, 1966

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlJ8ZCs4jY

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "390 - Jucika Measures Blood Pressure"

"391 - Jucika And The Children On Vacation"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cobalt-60 posted:

Dustin features terrible people being lovely to each other and it's never funny.

The Lockhorns features terrible people being various degrees of lovely to each other, yet it manages to at least be chuckleworthy.

I wonder what the difference is.
Having read interviews by the Lockhorn's artist, the factor is that she and her late husband actually loved each other. Compare to Dustin, where I'm not sure SKelly has ever felt love towards anything in its life.

And the Lockhorns sometimes has a "they're bickering all the time but they're mutually enjoying it" vibe.

Also the Lockhorns keeps it to Loretta and Leroy, and doesn't get sidetracked complaining about lazy millennials/radio djs/people with tattoos and dyed hair.

And neither one of them has the entire universe hating them for no apparent reason, unlike Dustin who is mysteriously so loathed that women he literally just says "hi" to will hate him.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

God, Wilbur is just the worst.

Comedy theory: Wilbur reincarnated as Dustin and it's all karmic retribution for him.

Might as well post my dailies while I'm talking Lockhorns:
The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Judge Parker (July 2021)

Sam goes to see Alan.

Surprisingly, this actually appeals to Alan and lifts his spirits.

Also Neddy got a new place to live.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Well, I guess that's quicker than using touchstone, I guess, or Blueberry proving, once again, that ACAB, or OK, now I KNOW we've done TIHS story before!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

This one threw me for a loop when I first read it. As far as I can tell, a yegg means either a thief or a beggar. I think a rowdie just means crazy/wild/drunk, according to Urban Dictionary.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Kell and Rhonda get rescued (July 6 - August 1, 2004)

First appearance: Aby Eyeshine. (Technically she was in one panel last week -- well spotted, Maltesh :) ) A mechanic by trade, of course, Aby will be with us for a while. In fact, she's still here: she makes regular appearances in the strip to this day.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

This one threw me for a loop when I first read it. As far as I can tell, a yegg means either a thief or a beggar. I think a rowdie just means crazy/wild/drunk, according to Urban Dictionary.

Yegg is usually another synonym for thug, roughneck, hoodlum and, yes, goon. Sometimes it's used specifically to mean a burglar who specializes in safecracking. You see it a lot in old pulp fiction.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/19/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/18-20/47

("Mut," you may ask? For over 40 years (mid-1930s to 1975), the Chicago Tribune waged a campaign for simplified spelling, eliminating unnecessary duplicate or silent letters.If you page through the Trib from those days, you'll see etiquet instead of etiquette, burocracy for bureaucracy, frate rather than freight, sherif instead of sheriff, and so on and so forth. Obviously, it never caught (or caut) on, and the Trib finally gave up.)

Smokey Stover 7/30/44

That's a good monkey.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 20, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 16, 1948)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That is some loving awesome in Val. We ain't gonna kill you (yet) but make no fucks about it, if you so much as wink or sneer at Aleta, she will slit your throat, and Val will simply ask for more bacon.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Haifisch posted:

Having read interviews by the Lockhorn's artist, the factor is that she and her late husband actually loved each other. Compare to Dustin, where I'm not sure SKelly has ever felt love towards anything in its life.

And the Lockhorns sometimes has a "they're bickering all the time but they're mutually enjoying it" vibe.

Also the Lockhorns keeps it to Loretta and Leroy, and doesn't get sidetracked complaining about lazy millennials/radio djs/people with tattoos and dyed hair.

And neither one of them has the entire universe hating them for no apparent reason, unlike Dustin who is mysteriously so loathed that women he literally just says "hi" to will hate him.

God, Wilbur is just the worst.

Comedy theory: Wilbur reincarnated as Dustin and it's all karmic retribution for him.

Might as well post my dailies while I'm talking Lockhorns:
The Lockhorns

I agree with everything said so far about how the Lockhorns are better than Dustin because they’re written with an undercurrent of equality and consideration, but I think there’s another reason as well: it’s because the anger and frustration itself isn’t the punchline.

This comic is a great example of this. Yes, the premise is that Loretta talks too much and has one-sided conversations and it’s a very 1960s “women, amirite??????” vibe on its own. But that’s not the joke itself. The joke is the clever wordplay that Leroy makes. And it is clever wordplay, so it’s funny, and it’s independent of the sexist premise - Leroy could be saying it in a business meeting, or on the phone with friends - so it’s using that premise not as a joke or an insult, but as shorthand for the setup.

I think that’s a major difference. In Dustin, there isn’t much cleverness, mostly only meanness: Dustin is written as a dunce to be mocked, unaware of his own idiocy and thus an aggravation to everyone around him, and the punchline is often the disdain and mockery he is shown. Take this one:

The punchline here is that even when Dustin is right, even when he is what a woman claims she wants, she will reject him, because Dustin Is Always Bad. There’s nothing clever in this, nothing interesting in what she says or how she says it, nothing to drive thinking or appreciation, just smug satisfaction that the Always Wrong character is still Always Wrong.

This is why we can believe that the Lockhorns actually love each other despite only seeing bickering and insults: because all the things mean and petty about them are setups for the actual joke - funny wordplay and clever misdirections - rather than being a joke about how petty and mean they are. The joke isn’t “Loretta spent all of Leroy’s money” - that would be an awful, sexist, tired joke - the joke is how she rationalizes it by pointing out how much they saved because it was all on sale. The joke isn’t “Leroy is a dullard who will never succeed”, it’s that Loretta asks if instead of trying for a raise he might try and solicit bribes.

It isn’t always the case, and I’m sure there are plenty of Lockhorns where the hate or the sexism is the point, but never as consistently and as constantly as generational hate and sexism are the ‘punchline’ of Dustin.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Man, I miss StumbleUpon.

Popcom

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Note Shelley’s blue nail polish. Early on, someone emailed me to say that Shelley’s blue nails looked like “dragon’s claws”, which I really enjoyed. I probably coloured them in blue three times in 1998 but that has stayed with me ever since. Every time I see blue nail polish on someone now, I think, dragons’ claws.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: Kell and Rhonda get rescued (July 6 - August 1, 2004)

Wait, how do "farm animals" work in hellworld? Why are they sitting around naked outside The Wild? Is this just a particularly nudist-friendly workplace, or is it perhaps some kind of BDSM fantasy camp? Or... actual slave labor? :ohdear:

...We aren't supposed to think about this beyond the "link farm" pun, are we?

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Wilbur's a man of hidden depths; just when you think you've got him figured out, he finds a new way to demonstrate that he's an even worse person than you thought.

But hey, I'm glad that Estelle's going to take in the dog, at least. I'll be even more glad if she doesn't take Wilbur back, obviously. Maybe adopting the unwanted pets of other Charterstone residents could be her new thing? She's got Mary's cat and Wilbur's dog...next up, Toby gets a tortoise or something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I feel doxxed.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Man, I remember StumbleUpon. Dang.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Slammy posted:

Mopsy August 11, 1937

Mixed Mopsy Arts

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (March 18-20, 1918)

Well, shoot, now that the Skipper's Wife is my new favorite character, I might have to change my screen name

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Easy, Cap'n, or that little girl is going to gently caress you up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Take care with swans! (10/1936)

Gotta say, the title is upselling this one pretty strongly

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Friends don't let friends buy those lovely little suitcase turntables that destroy your records

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Take care with swans! (10/1936)

Gotta say, the title is upselling this one pretty strongly

Es ist ein schöner Morgen im Dorf und du bist ein schrecklicher Schwan