Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
is there like a shred of evidence she's been kidnapped or disappeared or is being forced into staging photos in her home

i realize proof isn't the point, the point is just to keep going "china bad!" until any discussion of the country is just swamped by this garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mila kunis posted:

is there like a shred of evidence she's been kidnapped or disappeared or is being forced into staging photos in her home

i realize proof isn't the point, the point is just to keep going "china bad!" until any discussion of the country is just swamped by this garbage

china is guilty until proven more guilty my boi

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Despera posted:

the story of a persons sudden disappearance after disclosing rape by a powerful person....

is really about tennis

so you must post about such events any time they happen, if it is not tennis that made you care about it, correct? can i see some of your metoo posts? or was it china that made you care about it? more specifically, the implication that china is suppressing her, which would need some kind of proof

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i wonder how many of these morons have ever been to china. they seem to be under the impression that its not a normal country with normal people, like if she was in a detention facility none of her friends or immediate family would know or be able to say anything about it and it would never get out. just loving imbecilic reactionary freaks

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
like i have no trouble believing her or that a man in a position of power would abuse it to prey on young women but these cretins just have to take it a level up and beyond

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
you idiots aren't even considering the cybernetically enhanced ninjas that the ccp have

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
"Believe all women" might be wrong but kidnapping the women is always wrong

yeah despera is really concerned for women.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Antonymous posted:

I called those types the 'losers back home'. There's a lot of loser-types who move to asia where their white privilege is not only intact but enhanced as they get a decently paid job with low hours and heaps of praise if they can say "我要一個漢堡“ during their daily trip to mcdonald's. The psychology of their loser existence conflicts with the praise and privilege and leads to the "Am I a loser? no, it is the chinese who are wrong" colonialist mindset. And there's also genuine right wing "white man's burden" types who post praise of trump on facebook while living in China. I dislike all of those folk and those like Laowhy. It's easy to see that their life is better in Asia (would Laowhy ever have a successful youtube if he stayed in whatever bumfuck place he's from?) and it makes them bitter.

see

I this perception is exactly the problem and that there's nothing wrong with interracial relationships even if I personally don't like the people in them. It's also my perception from being in China and Taiwan that the women in these relationships are not especially victims of some kind of exploitation, not anymore than any other typical human relationship and definitely not in the way people who are trafficked in SEA are. That's why the perception seems very ignorant and racially motivated, much like how white women were/are said to be 'victims' of 'predators' if they date outside their race. I can write a lot more if the thread would like to derail further, let me know.

I agree that human relationships are complicated and not easily reduced to a single term, but surely you can see the difference between what people are mocking here and people simply having a relationship with someone in a different country?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Judakel posted:

"Believe all women" might be wrong but kidnapping the women is always wrong

yeah despera is really concerned for women.

believe all women except tara reade

lmao that cpt_obvious got sniped with a 1 day probe after like 3 posts while this guy swampwalks through d&d shidding and farding all over the place

crepeface has issued a correction as of 02:20 on Nov 20, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:capitalism:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I agree that human relationships are complicated and not easily reduced to a single term, but surely you can see the difference between what people are mocking here and people simply having a relationship with someone in a different country?

yeah its weird as hell to conflate and pretend criticisms of sexpats is the same as condemning interracial/intercultural relationships

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lol even if everything is true in there, its still another big brained lib case of "I'm the victim because of my own greed"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i can believe that she was pressured into laying low (honestly, not a bad move for her). kidnapping is lol tho. this seems most likely:

Throatwarbler posted:

Peng Shuai posted a fairly lengthy, rambling weibo post.

It's a little hard to follow, as it isn't a chronological description of events and isn't intended to be, but basically:

She and Zhang had an affair that started 10 years ago, before he rose to the Politburo. He would have been the party secretary for Tianjin at this point, (still a pretty powerful position) and I guess in his late 60s, while Peng would have been in her mid 20s. 7 years ago (so 3 or 4 years later), Zhang left for Beijing to assume to Politburo position and never contacted her again. 3 years ago, he contacted her again, took her home, and (in her words) "forced her to have sex with him." She doesn't suggest that their previous affair wasn't consensual or use that description again. After this, she had dinner with Zhang and his wife. It's intimated that Zhang's wife was generally aware of the affair.

It's debatable whether "forced her to have sex" in this context meant he literally forced himself on her, or that she was cajoled or manipulated, but the remainder of the post is basically her complaining that:

- Despite having real feelings for him (at least, at the time of the earlier affair), she regrets having the affair with him because she couldn't stand being a mistress, and also his wife (who was aware of the affair) was kind of mean to her.

- She specifically compares his wife to the queen in a popular palace intrigue TV show set in the Qing dynasty, and herself to one of the downtrodden concubines who is presumably bullied by the queen (I haven't seen the show myself).

- She was tired of lying to her parents about it.

- She never received any money or favors from him (a lot of the western media uses the word "corruption" in their reporting, but Peng is pretty unequivocal in her post that Zhang did not offer her any other "benefits" for her time).

- He promised her "an explanation" on Nov 2 (when this post was made) and then fobbed her off again, hence this post. I'm not sure what her expectation was here - that he would divorce his wife and marry her? She doesn't say that but the rest of the post kind of implies something akin to that.

It's possible that there was at least one sexual encounter between them that was less than consensual, but if it was, Peng isn't (in her post) seeking any redress for it, but rather the whole post reads like an emo post by a jilted teenage girlfriend.

The consensus amongst my circle is that it almost certainly is true, because who would make something like that up? Zhang doesn't even come off particularly badly in the story - Peng does not accuse him of corruption or abuse of power (which would be pretty serious allegations), his wife didn't even seem to object to the affair, he's just what you kids would call a "fuccboi". I highly doubt Peng herself is in any real trouble, since again, her allegations are pretty mild, her weibo account is still live and her other posts are still up, I would guess that she's probably just lying low and off social media for a bit after sobering up.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/...genumber%3D1374

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1461595392336961536?s=20

quote:

Japan’s problems started when markets began to be liberalized in the early 1980s,

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mila kunis posted:

yeah its weird as hell to conflate and pretend criticisms of sexpats is the same as condemning interracial/intercultural relationships

Yeah but, people are going on about sexpats on stuff that doesn't even have anything to do with sexpats, just expats. Like the training center thing, "gently caress the sexpats that are losing their job am i right?" That's different from calling Haier a sexpat (who was a totally gross actual sexpat and I'm glad he's gone.)

I don't really care, it's not like white expats are a horribly oppressed community of people. But it is kinda stupid.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Despera posted:

no just the ones involving peng shuai

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Eh they may be partially correct. The Chinese housing market is depreciating in value and it has seen a bit of a slow down in manufacturing. It is too early to proclaim recession or some BS.

The 2nd tweet is pure bs

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lmao bruh

these people are turbo smooth brains

https://twitter.com/asredromer/status/1461705061835235331?s=20

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if anyone doubts the accuracy of throatwarblers summary this twitter woman who describes peng shuai as a victim downthread did a full translation of the post

https://twitter.com/RaducanuIN/status/1460420303905955840

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
In my (obviously anecdotal) experience, sexpat percentage is ~10-30% of the China expat population, varying significantly based on employment sector and your exact definition. Yes, training centres are higher, but so are short-contract multinational company workers.

It's a significant minority, but it's a minority, and imagining it otherwise is... cool if that's your hobby I guess? But it doesn't reflect reality.

Some internet thing I read way back classified expats as some combination of "adventurers, mercenaries, misfits, and runners", and that seems more useful, while still allowing plenty of ways to hate expats, if that's your thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NATOSource/status/1461707377741340680

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
guess it's time to install missiles in cuba again

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Atopian posted:

In my (obviously anecdotal) experience, sexpat percentage is ~10-30% of the China expat population, varying significantly based on employment sector and your exact definition. Yes, training centres are higher, but so are short-contract multinational company workers.

I'd agree with that, 10% seems about right. There is an actual problem with the fetishization of Asian women, white men (mostly) who see Asian women in a stereotyped and objectified way and that motivates them to come to Asia. And then there are just perverts who realize they can get away with it more in Asia.

Everyone knows a guy, I can definitely tell some stories. I knew an old pervert guy at a uni who got away with it for so long because the uni sucked and he had a Ph.D, so he was very useful to the uni. The other expats at the college documented the things he was doing, all signed it, and sent it to the higher ups at the uni. The one woman higher up who took it seriously was overruled until COVID allowed her to cut ties with him. It was a long, complicated thing. I probably still have the letter somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up later.

But he was one guy, and the 6 other foreigners there were just normal, non-perverted people (as far as I know.) If you take an expat at random there's a chance they're a pervert, a chance they're a weirdo. But most likely they're just a normal person.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Does anyone have that post with articles about how east Asia was advertised as sex r&r spot for our troops during the occupation of Japan and Vietnam war.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ughhhh posted:

Does anyone have that post with articles about how east Asia was advertised as sex r&r spot for our troops during the occupation of Japan and Vietnam war.

my grandfather was in the navy during the korean war and spent some time offshore in taiwan and when the dementia got to him he got pretty open with stories re: this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Nov 20, 2021

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
We_covid_failures_still_got_lotsa_untapped_ANA_energy.txt

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ughhhh posted:

this thread maybe?

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1435371927791550470?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Despera posted:

the story of a persons sudden disappearance after disclosing rape by a powerful person....

is really about tennis

joe biden

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

BrainDance posted:

I'd agree with that, 10% seems about right.

no it doesn't. there's obviously no real way to quantify this but its a massive downplaying of lovely racist attitudes that i've experienced from white expat communities abroad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1461412742229856257

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

disco_sales.png

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

ughhhh posted:

You can also just watch any media from the time like the rapist British thug James Bond in You Only Live Twice, written by beloved antisemite children's author Roald Dahl, pop culture east Asia exists as a wonderland of instant sexual gratification for white men

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the best and the brightest folks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jetto Jagga posted:

You can also just watch any media from the time like the rapist British thug James Bond in You Only Live Twice, written by beloved antisemite children's author Roald Dahl, pop culture east Asia exists as a wonderland of instant sexual gratification for white men

In the Vietnam war US Army platoons turned some of their bases into brothels are forced women often underaged to work there.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

mila kunis posted:

no it doesn't. there's obviously no real way to quantify this but its a massive downplaying of lovely racist attitudes that i've experienced from white expat communities abroad

Right, there isn't, there are just guesses based on personal experience.

I don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry you hang out with lovely people. The expats around Zhengzhou are mostly just normal people with that 1 in 10 or so being lovely, which is higher than it should be, but people pick up on that fast and those people get called out.

I can think of a few people who were awful, and they got exiled fast. Maybe it's different someplace with more people, I dunno.

Are you meeting alcoholic expats at lovely bars or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

In the Vietnam war US Army platoons turned some of their bases into brothels are forced women often underaged to work there.

very misogynist of you to suggest that underaged women are ever forced to be prostitutes