Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Martytoof posted:

So about that big stash of sample floppy disks I picked up.

Would anyone be interested if I did a “one per day” kind of post? I was thinking I could set up a gopro in front of my S950, pop a random new disk in and we discover what’s on there together? Could be nothing, could be an amazing few samples, could be a bad disk. Once I figure out how to get the files off floppies I can start posting them along with each youtube video.

Doing one per day (and let’s be honest I probably won’t remember to do it every day) I probably have enough for a few months of content.

I mean I want to do it regardless but not sure if I should start a separate Samplers thread. I’m feel like this might JUST be skirting the edges of being actually related to “synths and synthesis” and you guys have been incredibly generous putting up with my Akai fetishization so far but I definitely don’t want to derail unless we want this to actually be the sampler thread as well.

Samplers are synth enough. I'm down for some mystery floppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Would anyone be interested if I did a “one per day” kind of post? I was thinking I could set up a gopro in front of my S950, pop a random new disk in and we discover what’s on there together? Could be nothing, could be an amazing few samples, could be a bad disk. Once I figure out how to get the files off floppies I can start posting them along with each youtube video.

Doing one per day (and let’s be honest I probably won’t remember to do it every day) I probably have enough for a few months of content.

I mean I want to do it regardless but not sure if I should start a separate Samplers thread. I’m feel like this might JUST be skirting the edges of being actually related to “synths and synthesis” and you guys have been incredibly generous putting up with my Akai fetishization so far but I definitely don’t want to derail unless we want this to actually be the sampler thread as well.

Seeing as I just got a hardware sampler I'm fuckin here for this idea :hmmyes: :stroop:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

CatBlack posted:

Samplers are synth enough. I'm down for some mystery floppies.

yes & yes

Personally (and I know I'm the weird one & there's other reasons for the format), I'd be way more down to read a post here and listen to a soundcloud clip than watch a video. Would be *extremely* cool to make them available for download in 16/44.1khz or at least easily sample-able (Soundcloud is way better for this than youtube, ime)

That being said if it is in fact months of interesting noises I don't wanna talk you out of what could be a sick youtube monetization come up

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely not a monetization play here — I’m incredibly bad at content production but this would be a fun way to explore it. I’m happy to do all of the above. I think I’ll do the youtube thing regardless so I can share it w/my friends on twitter, but I’ll put up a soundcloud which would actually probably be the easiest way to share these farts or screaming babies or something.

OK well I guess unless anyone has any actual objections I’ll figure out how to make this happen next week. My first priority is to actually back up these floppies to protect against when I inevitably accidentally rest them next to my big box of rare earth magnets while I’m waving a degaussing gun around. I don’t actually have a computer with a floppy drive that is capable of running omniflop (only have an old OS9 powerbook with a floppy). My other option is to run each one through the S3000XL and use Mesa (wait can Mesa actually download samples?) or Recycle to download the samples one at a time which is also valid.

To be clear, youtube wouldn’t be just a video of the sounds themselves — it would be just me bullshitting while I load the floppies in and react to what’s loaded and figure out how to pitch them around to sound correct. The actual files I would 100% make available either via google drive or soundcloud or both.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 20, 2021

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

havelock posted:

I bought the Baby Audio Spaced Out plugin and it's lots of fun for the sale price of $40. Fun space-y reverb and a beat synced delay thing that you can blend together nicely.

I'm still trying to master all the modulator options in bitwig, but I've got a long way to go. I know it's not as popular, but does anyone have any tutorials they like for this?

I got Spaced Out earlier this year and like it also, high CPU usage but it's super lush and capable of some interesting textures.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Get thee hence, you know we want it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Do make YouTube videos about mystery sample disks. Don’t make a new sampler/sampling thread.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Got my Mantis case today. Everything seems good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A56W1UhjEsI

More Moog Little Phatty + Eurorack stuff. This time, I have the S&H from the Entropy controlling the Phatty's pitch. It kind of sounds like Total Serialism from the mid 20th century. My music professors would've been so happy.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Martytoof posted:

Definitely interested in this. Samples for the Rample throne!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Also, it's just a fun little ditty but I've finished something that's not dark drone ambient for the first time since like 2014:

https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/cirrus

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

RocketMermaid posted:

Also, it's just a fun little ditty but I've finished something that's not dark drone ambient for the first time since like 2014:

https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/cirrus

That's really fun!

I just wrapped up a synthy cover song for the end of SpinTunes. And here's is the original.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm hawking my copy of Live 11 Suite over in SA Mart if anyone's keen.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985770

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm hawking my copy of Live 11 Suite over in SA Mart if anyone's keen.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985770

I'm downloading your album.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

I'm downloading your album.

Hell yes, get it in ya.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Is it my imagination or are these dead, gay forums even deader than usual, if not gayer?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

petit choux posted:

Is it my imagination or are these dead, gay forums even deader than usual, if not gayer?

most of the other threads I frequent are pretty alive

if you don’t like the pace of SynthThread then be the change you want to see

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All my imagination and creativity happens while on walks and taking naps and it all melts away as soon as I actually try to put pen to paper so content that isn’t lessons from Synth Secrets or waiting on hardware is sparse.

Also work takes up all my Adderall time so there’s that too. I wonder what kind of person I’d be if all my capacity was spent on creative pursuits :negative:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

All my imagination and creativity happens while on walks and taking naps and it all melts away as soon as I actually try to put pen to paper so content that isn’t lessons from Synth Secrets or waiting on hardware is sparse.

Also work takes up all my Adderall time so there’s that too. I wonder what kind of person I’d be if all my capacity was spent on creative pursuits :negative:

have you tried smoking reefer?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am barely able to operate a shower faucet when I’m high, let alone compose a song. I have tried, it does not work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use whatever pocket computer you got on hand and hum the melody or rhythm into a voice memo.

Then by the time you sit down at your empire of gadgets you still feel the magic and can turn it in to something.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I am barely able to operate a shower faucet when I’m high, let alone compose a song. I have tried, it does not work.

have you tried smoking more reefer until you overcome your tolerance issues? (I’m kidding. I find that a 15-35 min nap is good for recharging right before switching from work brain to creative brain)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i had to do some (self induced) crunch to finish some music projects before the deadlines and then started a new job over the last few weeks so i haven’t been thinking about or doing that much music lately but i’ve slowly started noodling again

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Ok Comboomer posted:

I find that a 15-35 min nap is good for recharging right before switching from work brain to creative brain

I find that smoking 15-35 reefers is good for recharging right before switching from work brain to creative brain

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CatBlack posted:

I find that smoking 15-35 reefers is good for recharging right before switching from work brain to creative brain

I just smoke reefer all the time :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

CatBlack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_S3sd5JzU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

most of the other threads I frequent are pretty alive

if you don’t like the pace of SynthThread then be the change you want to see

Awright, post you fuckers!

JK, I probably spam this thread enough already, I imagine everybody is just busy getting through TG this week. Okay, here's something, I have a DIY kit I bought years ago that I only recently found, a Tapdrum. I don't know if it's good or not, but I'll be trying to assemble it just for practice if nothing else. That and my DIY synth, the Macchiato, is finally up and running. Nobody has ever mentioned this one ITT and maybe with good reason, I dunno, it's an Arduino synth. No hardware oscillator.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I bought a Digitakt last week and god drat this thing is awesome

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m too busy meticulously cabling and re-cabling my gear for optimal routing to worry about such trivial things as making music.

Sold my MPC One and I feel liberated :toot:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've been getting back into my Machinedrum lately and what I would love is a new version with the current Elektron OS features like temp patterns and reloading plus probability. I know there's the Rytm but :shrug:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Modular Addict got a Befaco restock, so I'm finally getting a Muxslicer and a STMix. They didn't have the new MEX expanders in stock, though.

Funny how the Mantis cases and the Befaco kits at two different stores restocked within a week of each other. Guess the supply chain stuff is slowly getting moving again. Ouch, my wallet though.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Johnny Truant posted:

I bought a Digitakt last week and god drat this thing is awesome

Yeah, the DT is really good fun. I've suppressed my urges to get more Elektron gear and am spending time playing around with ways to hook up my DT with my digital piano and have it play some layers of the piano via MIDI while I play piano over it and get drums out of the DT. Feels like there's a lot to learn there and a lot of different things to play around with.

It's done a good job at keeping me from desiring more synths, although it has made me interested in effects pedals to add into the mix, so cue lots of watching videos of the Empress Zoia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Volca FM came in :3: I haven’t set aside time to play with it yet but I can’t wait to go full Etrian Odyssey on this mofo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, the DT is really good fun. I've suppressed my urges to get more Elektron gear and am spending time playing around with ways to hook up my DT with my digital piano and have it play some layers of the piano via MIDI while I play piano over it and get drums out of the DT. Feels like there's a lot to learn there and a lot of different things to play around with.

It's done a good job at keeping me from desiring more synths, although it has made me interested in effects pedals to add into the mix, so cue lots of watching videos of the Empress Zoia.

I'm an Elektron fanboy now, got the DT/DN combo! :toot: Except I have had zero time to really dig into them, really looking forward to this thanksgiving break to let me play with my synths and put together a detailed to-do list :negative:

I also have a Zoia! :bubblewoop: But have had zero time to play with it! :cry:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

net work error posted:

I've been getting back into my Machinedrum lately and what I would love is a new version with the current Elektron OS features like temp patterns and reloading plus probability. I know there's the Rytm but :shrug:

https://github.com/jmamma/MCL/releases

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/megacommand-mcl-4-0/159098

Clavavisage fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 24, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Volca FM review: UI’s a bit eh, but I get why they kept it simple. I’m too used to having direct access to each operator, so I’m like drat how do I set the ratio/detune/etc. Not sure how I feel about bundling all the carrier and modulator EGs together, but it makes sense on some level since I can’t think of any cases where you need the tone shaping to be different between harmonics sources. Still, I can’t help but think there’s a reason for it…

E: but I’m also one of those jerks who think 4 operators is good enough for anybody, so :v:

It’s a nice little module, but FM requires enough parameter fuckery that the Volca MO requires some UI sacrifices. Still enough for me, unless I ever find a used Reface DX for a reasonable price.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 24, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CatBlack posted:

:hmmyes:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm kinda glad these holiday synth sales suck, my wallet is safe

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Opsix has been tempting me for a good while but eh, no time here either. drat.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm an Elektron fanboy now, got the DT/DN combo! :toot: Except I have had zero time to really dig into them, really looking forward to this thanksgiving break to let me play with my synths and put together a detailed to-do list :negative:

I also have a Zoia! :bubblewoop: But have had zero time to play with it! :cry:

DT/DN is an awesome combo -- I found Ivar Tryti's videos pretty helpful for wrapping my head around connecting them and using them together:

https://youtu.be/gq6oUVZ-1wQ

Need to get that combo working with the digital piano -- maybe this is the weekend to do that.

If you get the Zoia in the mix, I'd be interested to hear how that worked out. Seems like it would be possible to send MIDI with the DT to change parameters on the Zoia, which could let you do interesting stuff in patches while changing the sound of the DT and/or DN during a song. At least that's my operating theory as I watch these Zoia videos and try to tamp down the GAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

You may be interested in the unofficial firmware that fixes some bugs in the LFOs and allows for proper velocity over MIDI.