Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tyro posted:

Thanks smooth jazz and nitsuga.

The chart in the manual doesn't have a 16" 205/65 option, then only 16" in the chart is a 205/55, also listed at 38 psi.

The tire/wheel combo arrived from tirerack filled to 34.5 psi and that calculator you linked to nitsuga says 33 psi.

:shrug:

Here's what I've heard of on the internets : https://www.intercotire.com/using_chalk_method_determining_psi

I have never tried this, no idea how reliable it is, but it does kinda make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tyro posted:

Thanks smooth jazz and nitsuga.

The chart in the manual doesn't have a 16" 205/65 option, then only 16" in the chart is a 205/55, also listed at 38 psi.

The tire/wheel combo arrived from tirerack filled to 34.5 psi and that calculator you linked to nitsuga says 33 psi.

:shrug:

I’ll say that I’ve never run anything but what’s in the door jamb in the the fifteen years or so I’ve run winter tires even with some tire size changes. Combination of not considering the need and not wanting to anger whatever TPMS system. This year will be the biggest (going from a 225/40R18 to a 225/45R17, but I might honestly just try them at 39 PSI.

Tire Rack has some interesting articles that might be worth checking out too, e.g.: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=168

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Interesting, thanks. I ended up setting it at 36 yesterday and resetting the TPMS (which was super easy, so I can easily top them up and reset if needed). I had a few minutes to kill before going to work today so I did the chalk thing and the tread pattern looks nice and even on the pavement so I'll probably leave it there for now and see how they handle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've always read to store tires above -10C and TireRack says the same thing. Around me all the tire storage places advertise that they have heated indoor storage so it seems like its a thing.

I have warm-ish storage and a winter set so it's really only a question of when to swap them on. Probably soon as the rubber is getting harder in the low temperatures anyway.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

rifles posted:

All-weathers are designed with better winter performance in mind compared to all-seasons and are a sorta new concept. All tires are compromises of course, but I've heard great things about the Michelin Crossclimate 2s, especially if you're in a place with a cold winter but not quite bad enough to want or need dedicated winter tires.

This varies between manufacturers if it isn't just marketing wank or exactly the same thing. All Continentals of the general category are just 'all-season', for instance, but the DWS literally stands for Dry/Wet/Snow.

The only tires I see declaring a difference with 'all-weather' are weird brands I've never heard of and BFGoodrich.

Edit: Apparently firestone too, but these are mostly in SUV sizes, and appear to be barely any different from a siped all-season, still falling the same kinds of short of a proper snow tire.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 26, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ranzear posted:

This varies between manufacturers if it isn't just marketing wank or exactly the same thing. All Continentals of the general category are just 'all-season', for instance, but the DWS literally stands for Dry/Wet/Snow.

The only tires I see declaring a difference with 'all-weather' are weird brands I've never heard of and BFGoodrich.

Edit: Apparently firestone too, but these are mostly in SUV sizes, and appear to be barely any different from a siped all-season, still falling the same kinds of short of a proper snow tire.

All-weather tires earn the three peak mountain snowflake rating, and several major brands have them

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Michelin A/S 4 tires I ordered over a month ago from Costco finally showed up at the local warehouse.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Charles posted:

All-weather tires earn the three peak mountain snowflake rating, and several major brands have them

quote:

Originally used as a designation for winter tires, the 3PMSF symbol is now featured on some all-season and all-terrain tires with snow performance that meets the testing criteria.

Thanks for the info. Still seems it has nothing to do with the 'all-weather' designation. That's just a rating a tire can earn and it's getting slapped on some all-season mudders that meet it. It's for "10% better on snow/ice" but 10% better than what?

Hell, Blizzaks don't even have that rating except for a light truck variant. It's required in some places like Canada, so this smells of crafty market segmentation to appeal to truck and SUV owners who don't want to be bothered with winters.

It's being paraded around as a standard. It isn't. There's an awful lot of lingo and dumbing-down in tire sales and this is certainly one of them. If one believed even half the poo poo that gets pushed about tires...

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 27, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
But.... Blizzaks do have the 3PMSF designation? It's a specific testing criteria that winter tires had to meet, and certain all-season tires can meet as well.

Tire Rack 3PMSF

Note that it's only testing acceleration traction on snow, and not braking, turning, or ice traction. Notably for A/T tires, certain BF Goodrich TA KO2 tires have the three peak designation, and other do not. The tread design is the same, but the DT models that do not carry the three peak designation are a different rubber compound for longer tread life.

Notable "all weather" tires from no name brands include the Cross Climate 2 from Michelin, and the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. "All weather" is more of a marketing term from Michelin specifically, in that they're describing them as an improved all season tire that carries the three peak designation.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 27, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Michelin A/S 4 tires I ordered over a month ago from Costco finally showed up at the local warehouse.

I've had mine for a bit now, and they kick rear end. It's been raining lately and the grip is great. They're definitely not full summer tires but they are a quality product that more than meets expectations. Billions of times better than the Hankooks that came stock.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

PitViper posted:

But.... Blizzaks do have the 3PMSF designation? It's a specific testing criteria that winter tires had to meet, and certain all-season tires can meet as well.

They do. I need to stop listening to my dad on this poo poo. He was confusing it for the older M+S designation which there wasn't even a 'test' for. Should have been suspect when he brought up studding them too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've had mine for a bit now, and they kick rear end. It's been raining lately and the grip is great. They're definitely not full summer tires but they are a quality product that more than meets expectations. Billions of times better than the Hankooks that came stock.
That’s good to hear. I’m not expecting summer tire performance from them. I just want a nice tire that I don’t need to worry about swapping out for my winters as soon as it starts to get cool.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

That’s good to hear. I’m not expecting summer tire performance from them. I just want a nice tire that I don’t need to worry about swapping out for my winters as soon as it starts to get cool.

You won't be unhappy with them. I also had a set of AS3+'s on my 4th gen swapped MR2 and they were brilliant on that and probably helped keep the transmission in one piece. Their characteristics when running out of grip are very predictable and nice.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

How would people feel about running PS4S all winter in the Seattle area? I’m moving before the end of the year from the Bay Area where I have never had to worry about cold. On the handful of potential snow days I would just not drive, and otherwise I wouldn’t really be doing any spirited driving while it was cold and wet, just errands and the like. I will be bringing the OEM wheels with runflats with me that still have a meh amount if tread left but I would prefer to not have to swap them on.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
If you are conscious of there limitations, and not putting a crazy commute down, i don’t think it’s a big deal.

It hovers around 40-45 most of the winter.

Anecdote, I ran 300tw (sdrive) year round for a handful of years on my primary car. Avoided snow, otherwise just drove it. I never felt like it was close to sketch unless I was ripping like it was the summer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheBacon posted:

How would people feel about running PS4S all winter in the Seattle area? I’m moving before the end of the year from the Bay Area where I have never had to worry about cold. On the handful of potential snow days I would just not drive, and otherwise I wouldn’t really be doing any spirited driving while it was cold and wet, just errands and the like. I will be bringing the OEM wheels with runflats with me that still have a meh amount if tread left but I would prefer to not have to swap them on.

you can get by but stay home if its 42 or less out. will you have protected parking? those tires shouldnt be exposed to cold weather at all, much less driven in it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I’ve driven PSS and PS4S well under freezing on many occasions. Recognize the limitations in those conditions and it’s fine.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

TheBacon posted:

Definitely don't. Constant driving in low temperatures will damage them in ways that aren't apparent until you go hard on them the following summer (we're talking delamination bad, ask late C7 guys). Also their rain performance is laughable after 5-10k miles of wear, because they just wear so goddamned fast. Lots of summer tires these days are made to have peak performance when brand new and go to poo poo in less than two oil changes.

And remember that while it might be 45F when you left, now you just spent a little too long in the restaurant and now it's 39 and damp and 40+mph gusts and you still have to get home. "I won't drive hard on them" doesn't mean poo poo when you need to stop before hitting that downed tree or confused oregon plate.

Find a good UHP All-Season. This is the region for them. Don't listen to the screams about 'compromise' as if you're going to the track on them.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Thanks for the replies everyone

Ranzear posted:

Definitely don't. Constant driving in low temperatures will damage them in ways that aren't apparent until you go hard on them the following summer (we're talking delamination bad, ask late C7 guys). Also their rain performance is laughable after 5-10k miles of wear, because they just wear so goddamned fast. Lots of summer tires these days are made to have peak performance when brand new and go to poo poo in less than two oil changes.

And remember that while it might be 45F when you left, now you just spent a little too long in the restaurant and now it's 39 and damp and 40+mph gusts and you still have to get home. "I won't drive hard on them" doesn't mean poo poo when you need to stop before hitting that downed tree or confused oregon plate.

Find a good UHP All-Season. This is the region for them. Don't listen to the screams about 'compromise' as if you're going to the track on them.

I can remount the oem wheels with runflats then I suppose. I had been thinking next winter I would replace the runflats with pilot sport AS 4s but didn't quite want to do it this year. From a bit of research those seem like they would be perfect for seattle as a true winter/snow/ice tire seems excessive if I can just not drive with actual snow on the ground?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ranzear posted:

Definitely don't.

/edit: to reiterate in a more constructive manner: seconding Ranzear's advice

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I've already posted about the DWS06+ in here and maintain my recommendation.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone

I can remount the oem wheels with runflats then I suppose. I had been thinking next winter I would replace the runflats with pilot sport AS 4s but didn't quite want to do it this year. From a bit of research those seem like they would be perfect for seattle as a true winter/snow/ice tire seems excessive if I can just not drive with actual snow on the ground?

I ran older Conti DWS bumping into fall/winter in Vermont and they were great, though there I did swap to winter Blizzaks. In PA I've been running AS 3s for "winter" tires, and they actually do pretty well, even with snow on the ground. Speed and stopping expectancy helps a ton, but I think you'll be fine with something like an AS3 or 4, or a DWS06. An inch or two of snow isn't going to kill them, but if you can stay home, that's best. Other people have gotten stupider in bad weather, so there's that.

I did finally take off the Indy 500s, they stayed above 50* because I put a mini split in the garage and they started at a reasonable temp. :P I even remembered to clean and put wheel wax on the other set of wheels! Also, holy poo poo those wheels are hammered. Don't run nice wheels in actual winter folks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My AD08s definitely felt pretty sketchy when they got cold. Even drifted all the way into a ditch 2 minutes from my home. Granted I gave too much throttle when exiting a corner but it's a loving miata it can't do this on command under normal weather conditions.

So unless you're driving very little I'd also suggest winter or all season sets. Your good rubber will also last you longer.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tire Rack has been really hit or miss with shipping on my last three orders.

Ordered a set of RE71's - the last 16" Tire Rack had (2021 mfg date). Got here two weeks after shipping date. UPS.
Ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons, after the order was confirmed I was told "Oops sorry, updated Jan 11 ship date, not end of week"
Ordered a set of Continental DWS's instead - arrived in two days!

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
I guess this is the opposite of TheBacon's question: how much damage am I going to do to my winter tires if I take them somewhere warmer (mid-40s to mid-70s) for a month?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

the spyder posted:

Ordered a set of Continental DWS's instead - arrived in two days!

When I talked to my guy he was like "I'll put them (DWS06+) on order and we'll see when we can get you in... Nevermind, they'll be here tomorrow morning, cool."

So Conti is either doing something right or nobody is buying them. I guess they had released just two months prior so maybe stock was just extra good at the time, but I wouldn't have figured someone could throw Y rated 245r20 and 275r20 on the truck same-day.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've ordered tires on a Sat morning, and called my customer back in 4 hours later to get them installed. It all depends on the distributor, how they run their routes, and the kind of volume they do. Generally I'll get Goodyear delivered same day, but we have 3 US Auto Force warehouses and a Tire Hub warehouse within 30-40 minutes, so they usually get anything that's not REAL uncommon or not popular to me within 24 hours.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ok I'm thinking about what to do about tires on my new '21 CX-5 AWD. It's got some squarely mediocre Toyo A23 all-seasons on it from the factory. I'm torn on whether I want to do full-on winters for it since our winters are pretty mild here in Seattle, but I do go skiing which mostly means plowed highways and maybe some nasty conditions getting off the mountain after a snow day.

Something like those new Michelin CrossClimate 2s with the snowflake rating on them seems pretty dang appealing and skipping the dual wheelsets. Reviews seem pretty positive on them, especially for only occasional real snow driving with AWD. Are they a gimmick or worth it?

The OEM Toyos only have like 6k miles on them and feels kind of wasteful to toss them already but I'm sure they'll last like 50k+ miles and I can't wait that long for something better.

TheBacon posted:

How would people feel about running PS4S all winter in the Seattle area?

I run PS4S on my RWD E46 in Seattle year round just fine around town, as long as you aren't going to go out driving on the random 0-7 days a year it might snow or ice over. Most of the city shuts down and everyone works from home if it does snow, unless you're like an ER doc or something.

They work fine/great in wet-but-not-frozen conditions in the 30-50s which is most of the winter here. I also garage park them so they aren't always in the cold. I drove on them in the snow out of desperation/bad timing one time, and I made it home but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've got a separate set of winters for the E46 for real snow and winter driving like going into the mountains, but now with my aforementioned appliance CUV I'll probably ditch them and just always leave the PS4S on all the time now.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 20, 2021

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
How old is too old for winter tires? Bought a set of OE Mazda wheels today off Craigslist for $100 that came with some Hankook winter tires mounted to them. The tires look almost unused but the date code is 3711 (which I think means 37th week of 2011). I was originally going to swap my Nokian winter tires onto these wheels but now I'm wondering if I could just use the tires they came with. The seller had these stored in his barn/garage since he sold the car they were used with years ago.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Tire rack is usually good spot fit tire info, 6 years of use or 10 years stored is what they mention with the caveat that it's very tire dependent.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunters-ramblings/are-my-tires-too-old

If there's no cracks, deformation of the rubber, or any other signs that the rubber is shot, they might still have some use in them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If there's truly zero signs of any age-related wear - no cracking no matter how minor - and the rubber still feels rubbery to the touch then I'd trust them for maybe one last season.

I'd also keep an extremely close eye on them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A decent tire shop will just flat out refuse to install them if they are too old

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bob Morales posted:

A decent tire shop will just flat out refuse to install them if they are too old

With good reason, tbh. No tire with 6+ years on its DOT should ever be driven with an expectation to even remotely perform within it's original handling/safety specs.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

With good reason, tbh. No tire with 6+ years on its DOT should ever be driven with an expectation to even remotely perform within it's original handling/safety specs.

I feel like you mention this on a certain anniversary on purpose...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ranzear posted:

I feel like you mention this on a certain anniversary on purpose...

I mean, it applies as much to an economy car as it does to a Carrera GT...

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Got Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s and can concur that they are very cool and good.

Also if your tires are so old they don't have a DOT date of manufacture code then they cannot age. Checkmate, tire companies. :pseudo:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm pretty impressed with the Blizzaks so far. It's obviously much more noticeable that the wheels lose grip earlier in snow and ice compared to proper nordic winter tyres, but in return the wet performance is so, so much better that I don't notice much difference to the summers (yet). For reference I could get 4 wheel drifts going in roundabouts without much efforts in non-freezing wet weather when on (premium) nordic friction winter tyres.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This may be more of a suspension issue but I started noticing this after a flat so I'm starting here.

Last week I got a flat on one of my winter tires (rear driver's side) on my BRZ. I had it replaced with the same size and model tire, but since then I've noticed starting around highway speeds when getting on the throttle the car will pull to the left a little, and when letting off will go to the right. Its not a constant pull, gas on - nudge to the left, gas off nudge to the right, but will track straight after that.

I checked tire pressures and they're even across all of the tires. There's a depth difference of about 3/32s on the new one compared to the passenger rear side, could that be causing the issue? Or am I looking at alignment/suspension problems? My spare was pretty flat when I drove to the shop (about two miles) which made that short trip not fun (ABS/TCS lights on, car was running in limp mode).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Swap the wheels side to side and you'll have your answer

fwiw, i've noticed the brz is extremely sensitive to rear tires and causing pulling left on throttle / right lifting throttle

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The tires (Michelin X-Ice) are directional so I didn't want to have those on backwards, so I didn't do a side to side swap. I could try a front-to-back swap though.