Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

On the other hand, if they gave you more money that could be exchanged for any number of goods and services

Well, yes. But I went into that conference room expecting "Thanks for all your hard work, here's a t-shirt and an ice cream". Like, I could be disappointed there was no bonus, but I knew that was never in the cards because, well, :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I still think about the place I worked where the boss said he'd accept my requested salary but I'd not get bonuses. I accepted that. I found out later he always made excuses to not pay bonuses and I got like a couple hundo for new years. gently caress bosses.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Oh drat, my bad, I didn't realize it was Tempoarily.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So for those who had been following the drama at my workplace: the $250k of work that was essentially given away by my VP has ballooned to "a few million" based on the completion of the audit. He has been soft-demoted and his authority has been greatly curtailed. He is now solely in charge of client-facing communications. Its a bit embarrassing watching him try to save face and spin things, saying stuff like "Ive decided to take a step back and let [other VP] handle things so as to not muddy the waters". The other VP has taken over management of this project and things are marginally better; there is an actual schedule now.

My interview the other week didn't pan out so I'm still looking for an exit plan :shepicide:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A member of our lovely userbase submitted a ticket that was basically "This isn't working, Tim says someone needs to fix it." What "This" is, in what way it is not working, or who Tim is was left a mystery. IM the user through Teams, mention the ticket number and ask what is happening, the user asks what the ticket number is... This'll go great.

I still have no idea what the issue is because any questions I asked was answered with "That's not what I said" (Then how come I can copy-paste it right from the conversation?) "I've worked in IT for 35 years" (Why is it alwats 35 years?) "I'm very frustrated, I don't need your attitude" (All I did was ask if you got an error message) and "I'll just talk to your manager" (Good luck with that, I just emailed him the transcript from Teams and he's known for playing the "You wanna come to me after making GBS threads on my people? I'll go to your boss's boss, let's throw down" game to protect us)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cthulu Carl posted:

A member of our lovely userbase submitted a ticket that was basically "This isn't working, Tim says someone needs to fix it." What "This" is, in what way it is not working, or who Tim is was left a mystery. IM the user through Teams, mention the ticket number and ask what is happening, the user asks what the ticket number is... This'll go great.

I still have no idea what the issue is because any questions I asked was answered with "That's not what I said" (Then how come I can copy-paste it right from the conversation?) "I've worked in IT for 35 years" (Why is it alwats 35 years?) "I'm very frustrated, I don't need your attitude" (All I did was ask if you got an error message) and "I'll just talk to your manager" (Good luck with that, I just emailed him the transcript from Teams and he's known for playing the "You wanna come to me after making GBS threads on my people? I'll go to your boss's boss, let's throw down" game to protect us)

Please update us

My favorite content in this thread is people getting some comeuppance for being bad coworkers.

I had another good one with my willfully computer illiterate coworker yesterday.

:v:"Henry, I hate to bother you, but I can't log in."
:)"Can't log into what?"
:v:"It just says 'bad gateway.'"
:)"What says that? Your main desktop login?"
:v:"My work page."
:)"The what? Here, I'll help you."
Turns out they just can't log into the main company administrative resources page, which is just a directory for various stuff they need their username/pw to access. I still don't know what it is they need to access yet, though.
:)"Ok, what specifically do you need to log in to?"
:v:"I just need to log in to the site."
:)"Yes, I understand, but what do you need access to once you log in?"
:v:"My work page, I need to log in so I can do the work page!"
No idea what this is about still, there's about 8 different resources to log into, including HR, purchasing, Outlook via the internet, department intranet, TimeClock, etc.
:)"Ok, if I can get you logged in, tell me the first thing you are going to do when you log in."
:v:"I'm going to clock in!"
:)"Aha! You need to log into TimeClock."

So I googled 'site:companypage.com "timeclock" which links me directly to the TimeClock portal and they can log in. I felt a little bad just doing it rather than talking them through in case it happens again, but during this whole process they were doing things like mixing up the address bar and the search bar, closing the whole browser when they just wanted to open a new tab, etc. and I know that any path of actions outside their normal morning log in clock in routine would result in vapor lock. They are old and I feel sorry for them sometimes because the world is fast and confusing for someone their age but dammit learn to use the tools you need to do your job.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 19, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

This guy would get his e-mails printed out and then try to "click" the hyperlinks on the printed sheets of paper and would start going apeshit when nothing happened, slamming the "link" on the page over and over.
I'd love to know what outcome he was expecting from poking an underlined piece of printed text on a paper. That the paper should change content? That the link would open on his computer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:)"Ok, if I can get you logged in, tell me the first thing you are going to do when you log in."

FYI, that's a VERY good question. I haven't done desktop/user support in a long time and I don't think I would have come up with that, even when I was "in practice".

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It is a good question because some users get into the weeds on how something isn’t working (and will use computer words they half remembered from an episode of CSI). Ask them what they want to do and go from there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I made the mistake of asking for a pin to locate something and they're insisting an area 5 minutes out of town is somewhere in Ohio.

E: We are not in Ohio, or a bordering state. But he almost got the right country so that's good.

"What format is are those coordinates in?" should not confuse a 70 year old. They grew up with lat long ffs

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

I'd love to know what outcome he was expecting from poking an underlined piece of printed text on a paper. That the paper should change content? That the link would open on his computer?

Same. When she was telling me this I thought I had to be hearing something wrong. I asked what outcome he expected, but she didn't know either.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I had a customer claim we would purposefully adjust the big clock in the parking garage so she would think she was still in her hour window, miss it and have to pay 1, 50 more due to that.

My boss said to let her out for free, I refused and let her pay completely.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Please update us

My favorite content in this thread is people getting some comeuppance for being bad coworkers.

I had another good one with my willfully computer illiterate coworker yesterday.

:v:"Henry, I hate to bother you, but I can't log in."
:)"Can't log into what?"
:v:"It just says 'bad gateway.'"
:)"What says that? Your main desktop login?"
:v:"My work page."
:)"The what? Here, I'll help you."
Turns out they just can't log into the main company administrative resources page, which is just a directory for various stuff they need their username/pw to access. I still don't know what it is they need to access yet, though.
:)"Ok, what specifically do you need to log in to?"
:v:"I just need to log in to the site."
:)"Yes, I understand, but what do you need access to once you log in?"
:v:"My work page, I need to log in so I can do the work page!"
No idea what this is about still, there's about 8 different resources to log into, including HR, purchasing, Outlook via the internet, department intranet, TimeClock, etc.
:v:"I'm going to clock in!"
:)"Aha! You need to log into TimeClock."

So I googled 'site:companypage.com "timeclock" which links me directly to the TimeClock portal and they can log in. I felt a little bad just doing it rather than talking them through in case it happens again, but during this whole process they were doing things like mixing up the address bar and the search bar, closing the whole browser when they just wanted to open a new tab, etc. and I know that any path of actions outside their normal morning log in clock in routine would result in vapor lock. They are old and I feel sorry for them sometimes because the world is fast and confusing for someone their age but dammit learn to use the tools you need to do your job.

Timeclock is not a tool he needs to do his job, it's a tool his job requires to monitor him doing his job. The way he was given to log into this monitoring system wasn't working

It's the duality of IT services, they complain when users don't follow the instructions, they also complain when users don't work around issues themselves, by logging into a third party site or something.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Funktastic posted:

a job application asked me to rank if torturing a person was worse than prostitution

quote:

I’m trying to change fields from copywriting freelancer to something in the admin assistance sphere. It could be that my greenness is showing, but is it typical for applications to ask you to rate atrocities?

After submitting a resume and cover letter, I was directed to fill in an online form. The form started with asking me to rank traits from most to least like me. I’ll admit I kind of rolled my eyes, but I did it.

Then we got to a very long list where I had to rate items from best to worst. These items included things like “a blunder,” “prostitution,” “justice,” “a telephone,” “poisoning the town’s water supply,” “a good idea,” “torturing a person,” “receiving a medal for bravery,” “a lover’s embrace,” and more.

I had no idea what to do, and I also felt that this is basically some pseudoscience masked as smart interviewing. If I said “imprisoning an innocent person” was worse than “torturing a person,” I don’t know that I’d be a better or worse admin assistant than someone who swapped those. Is there any merit to this method? Was there some secret right combination that wouldn’t make this company think I’m a terrible person?

P.S. I’m adding a screenshot to this email just to prove that I’m not making this up.

And the screenshot:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Maybe you shouldn’t apply to be an admin assistant for the Medellin cartel then dude

AntiZorn
Sep 23, 2007
Pillbug
Ripped directly from a "What Final Fantasy Character are You?" online quiz.

Edit:. As an admin assistant, you should have ranked telephone higher.

AntiZorn fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 20, 2021

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

I see your mistake. By admitting to your love of adventure, you have revealed yourself to be selfish and inconsiderate of your family and place in society! Obviously you will wantonly abandon your important post of administrative assistant, the moment you hear the call of adventure.

Seriously though, you should have put "telephone" first.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Dongsturm posted:

I see your mistake. By admitting to your love of adventure, you have revealed yourself to be selfish and inconsiderate of your family and place in society! Obviously you will wantonly abandon your important post of administrative assistant, the moment you hear the call of adventure.

Ah, but you forget.

Being an administrative assistant is the greatest adventure of them all.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Why is prostitution in the bottom half of the list?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats a good way to not get a job at those brothels in Nevada.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

thats a good way to not get a job at those brothels in Nevada.

Or a high level finance job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A madman should've been way higher

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

My company has spent half a year telling everyone to get vaccinated ASAP, because we work in public facing, high transmission environments.

November was to be the cut-off time, with all staff having to submit proof of vaccination, or if they were medically exempt, they would need documentation from a doctor explaining the legitimate condition preventing them from getting the shot.

So once November hit, a bunch of people were put on unpaid leave. Some refused to get vaccinated, for whatever real or imagined reason. Some of them just refused to disclose their medical information to the employer out of a privacy concern. We have a Union, who has gone to bat for these people. I understand about the privacy concerns, because your employer doesn't need to be up in your medical history, but the fact that we're trying to keep people from getting sick and dying kind of overrides that.

Anyway, I just got an email today saying that due to staff shortages, all of those people who are currently unvaccinated or were told not to report to work, well we need you back to work starting Monday. :ughh:

I feel bad for the people who cannot get immunized because of health reasons, because morons are going to get them killed. I can't wait for case counts to start blowing up in 2 weeks, while everybody makes the surprised pikachu face.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We have a client who requires that I have access to their internal email system to respond to the dumbass questions they ask me. As part of having an account on the system I must pass a few mandatory trainings. One of the trainings is active shooter training.

I work from home, if there's an active shooter here it's probably fuckin' me.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love those trainings. So what do you do when there is an active shooter? I don’t know, hide or go punch the person in the face I guess? Not like anybody is gonna come save you!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You shoot them back until they are dead. That last part is v important, you want to be telling your side of the story only.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I've had active shooter training. Turns out the main lesson is: run away. I could have figured that one out by myself, thanks.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

This is from a couple of pages back, but Barudak--you ever taken your team to the batting cages? They sell beer.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
The key to survivng an active shooter is, unsurprisingly, not being seen.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’re going full mandate for employees, gotta have proof of first dose by dec 4th. I’m surprised we didn’t do it months ago considering that most of them actually work in hospitals. There are already ~40 idiots on medical loa because our hospital contracts were requiring it and the idiots refused.

If you do get a medical/religious exemption and the hospital is okay with it you have to submit weekly swab results.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We have a client who requires that I have access to their internal email system to respond to the dumbass questions they ask me. As part of having an account on the system I must pass a few mandatory trainings. One of the trainings is active shooter training.

I work from home, if there's an active shooter here it's probably fuckin' me.

On the plus side you'll be armed so you can defend yourself.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DreadUnknown posted:

Why do you call the active? Is there an inactive or passive shooter just lurking about?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

champagne posting posted:

Why do you call the active? Is there an inactive or passive shooter just lurking about?

Yeah, the weirdos who open and/or concealed carry in grocery stores.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My job did tell me some people get too caught up in work to notice the emergency of an active shooter or fire, so they just keep working at their desk while everyone else leaves

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bobjr posted:

My job did tell me some people get too caught up in work to notice the emergency of an active shooter or fire, so they just keep working at their desk while everyone else leaves

My first company after college was in a building that had some issue with the fire alarm system and so we had to vacate the building for 20-30 minutes every week or two. This eventually became unacceptable to management and there was an email that said you would stay at your desk unless it was a scheduled drill. This policy didn't survive long because the fire department walked into our (supposedly) locked office, saw all of us were still there and forced us outside. We probably should have sued the company, now that I think about that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bobjr posted:

loving Christ, it sounds on the outside how it feels on the inside. Either everyone is so much louder than normal or this is really starting to get to me. Hold it together...

Ah, silence, much better, now maybe I can actually get something done now that Tammy isn't yammering away about guns or whatever the gently caress.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DreadUnknown posted:

Here's a helpful training video to help you develop that skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokGd5zhGJ4

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

One of the trainings is active shooter training.

My company has one of those. For whatever reason instead of just buying some off-the-shelf training program, they decided to produce their own. So it's got impressively dramatized video of a guy with an airsoft gun shooting up a Big Lots. It's actually filmed and acted pretty competently, I'm hoping someone at corporate managed to wrangle themselves into a directorial debut. They even have the guy playing the shooter wearing some right-winger confederate flag stuff.

The thing that we still joke about at work is where the last tip is "In last resort, fight back!" and it cuts to a video of one of the store workers hucking a Panteone cake at the shooter. You know, one of these:

It's loving hilarious, and we still joke about recieving a shipment of active shooter defense weapons when we get those in.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
RUN HIDE FIGHT!
That's the only thing I remember from our active shooter training video, because they repeated it every 30 seconds.
"blah blah blah RUN HIDE FIGHT! blah blah blah RUN HIDE FIGHT! blah blah blah RUN HIDE FIGHT!"

It's like "Stop, Drop and Roll". Hopefully I don't mix the two up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s really all you need to take away which is why they keep repeating it. When the adrenaline dumps you can’t think straight, so keeping it simple is the best thing to do for this particular training purpose.