Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The two good communication systems in online shooters are the apex legends ping system and communicating exclusively with the words booyah/c'mon in splatoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best voice chat was playing UT99 and making your character say “I’m on fire!” when you fell in lava

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Resident Evil 6 was very bad but at least you could have Leon give thumbs up gestures as your coop partner gets murdered by zombies

i kinda like re6

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Apex Legends (or maybe it was Titanfall 2) which had that really well featured contextual voice/communication system which you see more of these days

This is probably the way to go if you want more fully-fledged team coordination without the huge moderation issue of text/voice communication for public lobbies. It's a fascinating linguistic/semiotics problem: you need to create a system that has enough breadth and depth to be able to communicate a variety of information in a context-dependent way, but you also need to make sure that doesn't leave enough ambiguity for it to be used in a hostile way. League didn't put a lot of this kind of thought into their own smart ping system, so you have the ability to ping nearly anything - whether champions are alive/dead, the state of your cooldowns, what items a champion has, etc. - and it's used maybe 80% of the time to spam ping your teammates when they die or spam ping their items to criticize what they're buying.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

The best voice chat was playing UT99 and making your character say “I’m on fire!” when you fell in lava
the best ut99 voice chat is having your speakers cranked loud in a computer lab and someone has a custom skin + voice pack of bender who tells you to bite his shiny metal rear end, and you get in trouble for it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feels Villeneuve posted:

apropos of nothing there was nothing funnier than like five years ago when every Tom Clancy-esque game had an E3 "vertical slice" trailer with fake voice chat that depicted players being immersed in a level of squadmate role-playing that even Arma II players don't do

stay frosty

On the other hand, this is what real multiplayer comms sound like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKG0T3CJJus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vermain posted:

This is probably the way to go if you want more fully-fledged team coordination without the huge moderation issue of text/voice communication for public lobbies. It's a fascinating linguistic/semiotics problem: you need to create a system that has enough breadth and depth to be able to communicate a variety of information in a context-dependent way, but you also need to make sure that doesn't leave enough ambiguity for it to be used in a hostile way. League didn't put a lot of this kind of thought into their own smart ping system, so you have the ability to ping nearly anything - whether champions are alive/dead, the state of your cooldowns, what items a champion has, etc. - and it's used maybe 80% of the time to spam ping your teammates when they die or spam ping their items to criticize what they're buying.

Or you can do what Destiny did and make it so activities that won’t work without extensive communication do not have matchmaking. If you want to raid, you have to make some friends so you can talk to them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

some of these assholes have, unfortunately, been invited to a discord
look i mean well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hi

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ahoy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
sup thou

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

haveblue posted:

:hmmyes:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Not much, you?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sonic forces off to a good start

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Just started SMTV and this game seems pretty good

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

everybody should watch revue starlight

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Yeah, I would feel insulted by that statement. Even as a kid I knew anime sucked.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

anime is win

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

anime is bad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anime is

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lol that EA hosed up so bad with the Star Wars Battlefront 2 lootboxes that Disney started charging them extra "license fees" to discourage them from making another one.

The Battlefront 3 name is cursed as hell.
https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1461869546235740160
https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1461869549255548935

Hwurmp posted:

anime is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg5fR05st58&t=20s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shinjobi posted:

Rarity owns

:pusheen:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

sonic forces off to a good start

Eggman has been torturing Sonic for months

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Eggman is a very good pokemon collector

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bought an item from the mogshop in the first soldier, thats just, a radio that clips to your belt and constantly plays very loud music, that you cant turn off or drop. i dont think it does anything other than arbitrarily make your game harder, for a not insignificant amount of gil. this game has kind of a weird sense of humor sometimes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

but i had a shootout in the sector 6 playground and used the chocobo slide as cover so im prepared to call it goty

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

bought an item from the mogshop in the first soldier, thats just, a radio that clips to your belt and constantly plays very loud music, that you cant turn off or drop. i dont think it does anything other than arbitrarily make your game harder, for a not insignificant amount of gil. this game has kind of a weird sense of humor sometimes
apparently, im discovering, there are rare achievements for winning the game with the radio, the item that prevents you from leveling up, and a self inflicted doom that i guess puts a time limit on your match. basically nethack conducts, within the context of a battle royale. thats a fun idea

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Chairchucker posted:

Eggman is a very good pokemon collector

holy poo poo, fuckin SONIC is the gritty anti-trainer play-as-a-pokemon reboot i always craved???

:smith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

homeless snail posted:

Pretty cool that First Soldier allows you to role-play as Jack from Stranger of Paradise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

anime is win

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

Eggman has been torturing Sonic for months

and then you see him and he's totally fine and quipping away, like eggman's torture was putting beans in his chili

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looper posted:

and then you see him and he's totally fine and quipping away, like eggman's torture was putting beans in his chili

The fiend

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'd probably have given First Soldier at least a chance if it weren't on mobile. seems goofy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Not much, you?

fethers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'd probably have given First Soldier at least a chance if it weren't on mobile. seems goofy
i hope that they port it to, literally anything else one day. its too good a game to be stuck on mobile. i'm playing with my phone hooked up to a monitor and on a ds4 and pretending its a bad ps3 game but, its still a phone game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fable II:

Oh hi Stephen Fry

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

i hope that they port it to, literally anything else one day. its too good a game to be stuck on mobile. i'm playing with my phone hooked up to a monitor and on a ds4 and pretending its a bad ps3 game but, its still a phone game

it's fun, then? I didn't have any expectations for it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Have they announced the next FF7 spinoff yet? Wonder what word that starts with G they’ll use

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

Have they announced the next FF7 spinoff yet? Wonder what word that starts with G they’ll use

Grundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's fun, then? I didn't have any expectations for it
i like it a lot, it does a really interesting and mostly successful job of distilling ff7, into a third person shooter + battle royale. i got into an extremely cool duel in the final circle earlier that was maybe one of the most, cinematic battles i can remember having in a multiplayer game in a long time, genuinely felt like something out of advent children. we were both playing the ninja class which can turn invisible for a little bit, taking turns trying to sneak behind each other to get a melee combo in, while the other desperately tried to follow their footsteps and shoot where they thought they were. jumping and flipping over bullets, and up and over walls, and trying to use magic to zone each other until the whole area is just, full of poison clouds and thunder storms and whatever the thing is that you summon when you cast blizzard

i lost because, its a lovely phone game and for some reason it made me swap out the good smg that had gotten me a bunch of kills up to that point, with two shotguns, but aside from that it was sick