Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean, I liked the part where it was awesome, but I thought the villagers ganking a trolloc was a nice little bit of foreshadowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, I liked the part where it was awesome, but I thought the villagers ganking a trolloc was a nice little bit of foreshadowing

i do think it's nice that they've shown multiple instances of the people there actually having some tooth to them, including nynaeve just absolutely gutting a trolloc on her own, because it gets really tiring when literally all you see is panicked villagers running around like headless chickens while only the Designated Heroes kill things. even beyond the foreshadowing for the later fight at the two rivers and them overall being the remnants of a lost kingdom it's just kind of refreshing to see genuine action from the people whose home is getting attacked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I completely agree. I honestly couldn't be happier* with the series. The fact that it got made at all is incredible, let alone that it's this good.

*BRING BACK B-ZANE

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I completely agree. I honestly couldn't be happier* with the series. The fact that it got made at all is incredible, let alone that it's this good.

*BRING BACK B-ZANE

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wonder if faile will get axed too

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Watching the second episode right now I'm geeking out over Hopper

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

🤞

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I thought people might be hungry for react content. My girlfriend's predictions based on nothing more than having seen the three episodes.

- Rand becomes the Dragon
- Egwene becomes a powerful Aes Sedai but ends up getting sidelined in the final battle because Rand has to have the bulk of the glory as the main protagonist.
- Nynaeve becomes a Darkfriend out of hatred of the Aes Sedai.
- Perrin and Egwene have a thing
- Rand and Egwene end up together
- Mat or Perrin dies at some point
- Lan dies defending Moiraine
- Moiraine sacrifices herself defending Rand
- Reluctant alliance with the Whitecloaks
- Perrin becomes king of the wolves

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Intruder posted:

Watching the second episode right now I'm geeking out over Hopper

It gets better!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Colonel Cool posted:

I thought people might be hungry for react content. My girlfriend's predictions based on nothing more than having seen the three episodes.

- Rand becomes the Dragon
- Egwene becomes a powerful Aes Sedai but ends up getting sidelined in the final battle because Rand has to have the bulk of the glory as the main protagonist.
- Nynaeve becomes a Darkfriend out of hatred of the Aes Sedai.
- Perrin and Egwene have a thing
- Rand and Egwene end up together
- Mat or Perrin dies at some point
- Lan dies defending Moiraine
- Moiraine sacrifices herself defending Rand
- Reluctant alliance with the Whitecloaks
- Perrin becomes king of the wolves

that's basically 100% accurate

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

technically mat DOES die

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

i think she read the books and just trollin you with like nynaeve being a darkfriend. shes manipulated you bad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

With Perrin already having a beard how do we get page after page of descriptions of how itchy it is and he keeps scratching at it?

e: oh my god mashadar looks so loving cool!

Intruder fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 20, 2021

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I absolutely loved in e1 when Nynaeve growled back at the trolloc and just went ham with her knife. Absolutely stellar moment.

Also, Mat getting to safety, realising the girls arent there and turning around and going back out was such a perfect moment of that side of his character, which isnt mentioned until Book 2 otherwise

I blitzed through all three episodes with my non-reader partner and they're looking forward to next weeks episode. But i'm considering rewatching with the info tab thing going now

Pocky In My Pocket fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 20, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Episode 2 ruled. Imagine hating this show. Lol. loving loser redditors

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My wife called Rand being the main guy the instant he was shown. God it’s so easy.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Brandon Sanderson made a thread on reddit about the show, he basically disagreed with some of their decisions, but is happy about where it's headed. https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qxt9h5/some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_one/

He makes several more comments down the thread as well.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Dead mentor as a trope isn’t much different from what we got. :shrug:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My wife did not figure out rand was the dragon. She thought rand or mat. She thought the dagger was significant in the wrong way. Also Perrin's wife is a darkfriend too right? I think those earrings are significant somehow based on Dana having matching ones on the same ear.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I just watched it again on a regular television with a friend. it's very pretty, i would have made some different editing decisions but it is really really good. i do wish the dialogue was a little more true to the books. "to be fair" appeared in dialogue 0 times over ten million words

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I need at least one "sheepswallop and bloody buttered onions" in the show

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

ad090 posted:

Brandon Sanderson made a thread on reddit about the show, he basically disagreed with some of their decisions, but is happy about where it's headed. https://www.reddit.com/r/WoT/comments/qxt9h5/some_thoughts_from_brandon_episode_one/

He makes several more comments down the thread as well.

Could you post some choice quotes? Reddit keeps demanding I sign up, and no.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Not sure how I feel about some of the changes yet, but the definitely 100% double-cool thing is the intro/credits sequence

imo way cooler than the GoT intro/credits sequence everyone loved at the time

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

RandolphCarter posted:

Could you post some choice quotes? Reddit keeps demanding I sign up, and no.

Sanderson posted:

Haven't watched the final product yet, as I wasn't able to make the premier. Disclosure, I'm one of the producers. My part equated to reading the scripts and offering feedback directly to Rafe, the show runner. I'll be watching tonight, and there are a few details I'm curious to find out about in regards to whether he took my advice or not.

Biggest thing he and I disagreed on was Perrin's wife. I realize that there is a good opportunity here for Perrin to be shown with rage issues, and to be afraid of the potential beast inside of him. I liked that idea, but didn't like it being a wife for multiple reasons. First off, it feels a lot like the disposable wife trope (AKA Woman in the Fridge.) Beyond that, I think the trauma of having killed your wife is so huge, the story this is telling can't realistically deal with it in a way that is responsible. Perrin killing his wife then going off on an adventure really bothers me, even still. I have faith that the writers won't treat it lightly, but still. That kind of trauma, dealt with realistically and responsibly, is really difficult for an adventure series to deal with.

I suggested instead that he kill Master Luhhhan. As much as I hate to do Luhhan dirty like that, I think the idea Rafe and the team had here is a good one for accelerating Perrin's plot. Accidentally killing your master steps the trauma back a little, but gives the same motivations and hesitance. One thing I don't want this WoT adaptation to try to do is lean into being a tonal Game of Thrones replacement--IE, I don't want to lean into the "Grimdark" ideas. Killing Perrin's wife felt edgy just to be edgy.

That said, I really liked a LOT about this first episode. I prefer this method of us not knowing who the Dragon is, and I actually preferred (EDIT: Well, maybe not prefer, but think it's a bold and interesting choice that I understand) this prologue. I thought it was a neat, different take on how to start the WoT. I really liked the introduction to Mat, and in screenplay form, I thought the pacing was solid--fast, catchy, exciting. People are complaining about it, though, so maybe in show form it's too choppy. When I was on set, I liked the practical effects, and what I saw of the acting--so I'm expecting both of those to be great in the finished product.

EDIT: For those complaining about Abell Cauthon, I did try to get this one changed too. So at least they heard from one of us, offering complaint, before going to production. I always had a soft spot for him. I didn't expect them to change this, though, with Mat's more gritty backstory. Again, I do wish they had taken a less "grim" feel to all of this, though I do think the details of introducing Mat were interesting and a nice acceleration of his character. Which is a good thing, since the series will need to condense from the books, so moving character beats up in time is going to generally help with that.

This team is excellent, I have to say. Episode six is the best--least, I think that's the number of the one I'm thinking about--so be on the lookout for it. But they have real respect for the story, and are good writers. This is an enormously difficult project to undertake, and I'm quite impressed by Rafe and everyone involved

It's curious you'd ask this, as I personally didn't even think to ask this. I wasn't there during brainstorming or in the writer's room. I don't not one who can answer this question.

But at the same time, I view the first three books of WoT as adventure fiction. It's not until Book Four that I see it transitioning in the worldbuilding/political intrigue epic that it eventually becomes. So it feels appropriate for the start to be adventure feel.

I mean, the opening of Eye of the World is pretty derivative plot-wise of Fellowship of the Ring. Small town. Mysterious wizard. Dark Rider. Town at the edge of what they know. Ferry crossing. It's a straight up fantasy quest. This isn't bad; the setting and characters are original (only one-to-one character lift is Bill the Pony, done as more of a nod, as Bela) and many plots are repeated across works. (Much of the start of Mistborn borrows from heist narratives.)

But adventure fiction is very much in the WoT's DNA. It's always been interesting to me that RJ started moving into a more political intrigue narrative right before A Game of Thrones came out. I like how he anticipated the rise of this style of fantasy. We often laud GRRM for his part in this movement, but RJ was right there too.

As you raise the issue, though, I could see that there were other ways to have gone. I just didn't find it odd this was the way they went.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

bill = bela

:aaaaa:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks, interesting read.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

adhuin posted:

Dead mentor as a trope isn’t much different from what we got. :shrug:

I mean, yea it's a tired trope. But fridging the wife has that sexist flavor to it that makes it worse.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Unless she shows up later somehow it was pretty pointless.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Unless she shows up later somehow it was pretty pointless.

Eh, it had a point. I just think it was a point that could have been done better and with a different character. He didn't even really have to kill someone. What if he'd axed his Master bad enough to cause grave injury, but not bad enough to kill him. Perrin could still very easily be shown to be averse to violence and to thinking twice before acting once from that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Someone in the other thread noticed that when he axed her, she had her hammer raised facing him.

That, and the weird tension the two of them had earlier makes me believe the Laila Darkfriend theory, and that some part of Perrin instinctively was defending himself from her even if he didn't consciously know what he was doing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah i feel like some people wildly misinterpret egwene just wanting to be respected by those around her for whatever reason. i remember someone talking about how it was good that she died because otherwise she would have become some power-hungry tyrant and it was incredibly baffling as poo poo and i had to wonder how the hell they beefed that up so bad.

Gwaihir posted:

this is totally alien to me because I felt like after everything she went through in unifying the tower, all of her scenes as Amyrlin, the confrontation with Mesaana, finally whipping some sense in to the Hall and the rest of the Aes Sedai who want to be scheming as usual, it's all awesome. Just a great payoff after a long arc. The only quibble is just the reflexive thing with the seals, for me.

I wrote that Egwene's death might be a blessing in disguise, and I go over in great detail here:

Torrannor posted:

I generally like Egwene quite a bit, but arguing that any criticism of her is because "any time a woman uses her authority or power against the express wishes of a male character it's illegitimate" thinking is a bit much.

There's already the issue with the Oath Rod. Retaining it's usage might actually be a necessary thing to make people trust them at least a little bit, because right now, they're far and away seen as the most dishonest channeling organization. So if you combine keeping the Three Oaths with reforming the Aes Sedai to gain the genuine trust of the people, while also using the Kin to show that channelers can be trusted without them, with the medium term goal to abolish the Oaths, that would make sense. Instead Egwene spouts some bullshit how the Three Oaths are what makes Aes Sedai Aes Sedai.

As for her reign as Amyrlin after the last battle, just look at how she tries to get hooks into the Wind Finders and the Wise Ones with the goal to eventually bind the to the White Tower. In that meeting when she proposed exchange of Accepted/apprentices/Windfinders in training, her internal monologue makes it clear it's a step to eventually get the White Tower in control over those organizations. In contrast, the White Ones agree with it so other can learn from them. It's pretty disgusting of Egwene imho.

Then there are things like her being adamant that Rand is at fault for Asha'man binding Aes Sedai, and how that's totally unacceptable, and Rand better do something about that and he also has to apologize. But when challenged directly by Nynaeve how Egwene would then have to take responsibility for Elaida sending Aes Sedai to wipe out the Black Tower in entirety, she's basically unwilling to do that at all. And also the memorable scene where she complains that compulsion was used on the sisters captures after Dumai's Wells, and how that's a thousand times worse than compulsion being used against non-Aes Sedai.

Credit where credit's due, she reminds the Red Ajah that Saidin is now clean and that their purpose must change, and when Silviana replies that men are not to be trusted, she thinks to herself that the Reds will need to move beyond that sentiment. And she's certainly believing that Aes Sedai can learn a great deal from other channeling organizations, which is a far better attitude than most Sisters have. But she also has real flaws, and the biggest imho is that she has bought into Aes Sedai propaganda that the White Tower must "lead" (speak control) basically all channelers. Now that's probably in no small part because she's fantasy pope, head of the organization. The other channeling societies don't have a single all powerful leader (except the Black Tower, being modeled after the White Tower). The Kin and the Wise Ones are councils, and while there's a highest ranking Windfinder, there's a non-channeler in authority over her. So I think it's absolutely believable that Egwene would come to see Aes Sedai dominance over channelers more positively, it's the old "power corrupts" mechanic. This makes her character just more believable to me. I still really like her, but think those are real flaws she has.

Which is why her death might be a blessing in disguise for the Aes Sedai. It's also probably not healthy to have a single woman being in charge of the organization for 250+ years, as would have happened if Egwene had survived the last battle. Cadsuane will probably at most have 20 years or so left before dying or retiring into the Kin? But that's idle speculation, sadly (RIP Jordan :( ). And Cadsuane has her own flaws. And unrelated, Egwene deserved her very badass death scene, plus nearly as badass pep-talk giving as a ghost to Rand. Also, why are we discussing Egwene dying in unmarked spoilers? Wasn't there somebody here who in the last few pages said that they're just now reading Towers of Midnight?

I find it incredibly ironic that Gwaihir lauds her for dealing with the scheming among the Aes Sedai, but totally ignores how Egwene in her own PoV in Towers of Midnight is scheming how to bind the Windfinders and Wise Ones to the White Tower. But if you just want to do away with criticism of a character you like by writing it off as misogyny, be my guest.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think there's a difference between enjoying the characters and thinking they make good decisions. I think your post is mostly correct, a lot of the actual choices she makes and reactions are definitely wrong. Objectively, from our pov, that's not really arguable. There's plenty of hypocrisy from the tower and she did buy in to it. The character and her journey and the position it occupies was just an enjoyable overall part of the story though.

I think at the very end, too, Nynaeve's response to her test for the shawl is an explicit rebuke of the way the tower has worked and the attitude it's cultivated over time, and I wish (again :smith: ) that Jordan had been around to do some more with the world later on.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
To be fair, I don't doubt at all that Egwene attracts a lot of misogyny. I can just imagine the usual suspects enjoying her when she dunks on other powerful women, but frothing at the mouth once she "talks back" to Rand. The beauty of that scene is that both were right and wrong. Rand is right that the Seals need to be broken, Egwene is right that the start of the last battle is not the right moment to do so.

One thing I wonder whether it can be change is how circles work. Rand more or less uses Nynaeve as a giant battery/generator to cleanse saidin, she isn't really doing anything. Similar with using the Bowl of the Winds to right the weather. It would be cool if Nynaeve (and Moiraine when Rand links with her and Nynaeve in the Last Battle) could contribute more. Perhaps make it a more group event, with all the linked people weaving the flows and the one leading the circle coordinating/bundling the flows?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Made it through the first episode.

Nope.

Y'all enjoy your tv show. I'll stick with the books.

Namaste.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Torrannor posted:

I wrote that Egwene's death might be a blessing in disguise, and I go over in great detail here:

I find it incredibly ironic that Gwaihir lauds her for dealing with the scheming among the Aes Sedai, but totally ignores how Egwene in her own PoV in Towers of Midnight is scheming how to bind the Windfinders and Wise Ones to the White Tower. But if you just want to do away with criticism of a character you like by writing it off as misogyny, be my guest.

for the record i'm like 100% certain the post i was thinking of was like a fraction of the length and more or less said that egwene was going to be an evil tyrant and that it was explicitly good that she died due to like some intensely bizarre reasoning that smelled like 'i don't understand her character and just think she's a bitch'

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Egwene is a cool character precisely because she's immensely flawed and a bit of a power hungry self-justifying psycho. There are multiple scenes, from the aforementioned scheming to bind other channelers to the tower, to the Deliberate Attempt To Make Nynaeve Uncomfortable, that make it very clear that she embodies both the positive and negative aspects of the White Tower. Nynaeve is a much better person.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SirSamVimes posted:

Someone in the other thread noticed that when he axed her, she had her hammer raised facing him.

That, and the weird tension the two of them had earlier makes me believe the Laila Darkfriend theory, and that some part of Perrin instinctively was defending himself from her even if he didn't consciously know what he was doing.

In that screenshot she's quite clearly looking at the ground, not at Perrin. You look at the thing you're going to hit, and that's the Trolloc.

I think Leila is going to be used as a reason why Perrin is standoffish towards Faile at first, in lieu of making Faile the biggest bitch in the whole wide world. It's just not an amazing way to do it, and a result of them trying to cram 14 books into 64 episodes. For example, it would have been better if Leila insisted on accompanying them and then turned out to be the Darkfriend in ep 3. Bam - the same "anyone can be a DF" message for the non-readers, and Leila put on screen for a reason other than to be a portable angst generator.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder how the show comes off to non book readers. They throw a lot of nonsense words out if you haven’t read the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Jedit posted:

In that screenshot [spoiler]she's quite clearly looking at the ground, not at Perrin. You look at the thing you're going to hit, and that's the Trolloc.

Nah she's looking at the loving axe in her tummy like any normal person would.

Also Laila and Dana have two completely different earrings.