Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

That or those rock squirrels

Where are those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

jacohl cave, the one with all the skull buttons

objet d'art is the de facto ap grind world 2 and even world 3 until you reach movers

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Objets d'art are way better than anything else if you have L5 Death. Movers are literally at the end of the game, and you can't do the quick save exploit from the GBA version.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also remember if you bring transfuse on two characters (blue magic spell) and raise you have infinite free MP

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
A couple of things I'm reminded of as I replay XII.

One, god, hammers and axes (and hand bombs) really are just poo poo. They really should have changed the damage variance for IZJS/TZA. I don't have a problem with them rolling low damage sometimes, that's their thing, but it is absolutely loving ridiculous that I pick up an 81 attack power axe and am suddenly hitting for 10 damage. Like come on.

Two, I do love how TZA fixed up the chest rates and such. It's always great finding equipment that's like two whole license levels ahead of what I can get in stores.

Three, I kinda wish there was an option to just reset your license boards instead of having to go back to Montblanc and get rid of your boards completely. Okay, so honestly, this is only an issue for Shikari, since it wants to get the low LP quickenings for access to the early game ninja swords, and then late game reset its board to get the high LP quickenings for access to the endgame ninja swords. But still. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I peeped the damage formula out of curiosity and man that really is ten kinds of dogshit, lol. Why does it feel like FFV was the only game to handle random damage weapons properly?

(for anyone that cares, usually the multiplier for weapons that leads to damage variance is Attack x (1 ~ 1.125) but for those three it’s Attack x (0 ~ 1.1). According to the wiki the variance in FFV led to a 50 ~ 150% difference in damage.)

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

grieving for Gandalf posted:

does anyone have that site with all the FF4 background stuff that didn't make it into the game

the world is extremely fleshed out, it's just that there was nowhere near enough room in the script to include it all

like, Mysidia is the home of a great conflict where people abused the power of light and dark in their magicks and all of their strongest stuff was sealed away after a cataclysm stemming from their unchecked power. where is that in the game?

A couple pages back, I know, but here's the FFIV settei book translation:

http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ff4comp.htm

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

One, god, hammers and axes (and hand bombs) really are just poo poo. They really should have changed the damage variance for IZJS/TZA. I don't have a problem with them rolling low damage sometimes, that's their thing, but it is absolutely loving ridiculous that I pick up an 81 attack power axe and am suddenly hitting for 10 damage. Like come on.

For some reason this seems like it's just a Final Fantasy thing. FFV and FFT both make axes have an extra-wide range of damage variance, too.

It's one of the things the Struggle for Freedom mod on PC fixes, which is cool. Axes and hammers in SFF are just heavy-hitting weapons, with hammers having the ability to proc disabling effects, which on its own made Foebreaker a way, way better job. SFF outright removes hand bombs, too, replacing them with knuckles so that Monks can do more damage with punching if you want.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF5 axes also have the perk of quartering defense, so they can handle high-defense enemies more easily than other physical jobs even with the inaccuracy and high damage range.

It also helps that the Death Sickle is a rare drop in mid-W1, which both outclasses any axe until W3 and is also the most convenient access to Instant Death you get for awhile (and a lot of bosses are surprisingly vulnerable to that!). Then there's the Rune Axe, which is nasty when paired with a magic stat boost to the point that it's easily a top five weapon in the game, in my opinion the best after the Chicken Knife.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Chicken Knifes effect in PR can't be bypassed via commands anymore, tho

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the other hand you can get two of them now with quicksave abuse unless they've patched that out already.

https://twitter.com/konarofu2/status/1458970843740995588

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Just thinking ahead on FFV, how badly would I screw myself not using any offensive magic jobs? I don't think there's any barrier change gimmicks bosses or anything of that sort, is there?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Does the Chicken Knife still do it’s “normal” SFC/GBA damage? It seems like that would have been fixed so they can pretend there’s a choice between dealing with pointless random encounters for a weapon one job can use or grabbing a weapon like every job including knights can but Idk.

multijoe posted:

Just thinking ahead on FFV, how badly would I screw myself not using any offensive magic jobs? I don't think there's any barrier change gimmicks bosses or anything of that sort, is there?

I mean, it’s your main source of crowd control and elemental damage, it’s doable but also its not like Tactics where you need to level magic jobs to get more magic jobs and make the old ones better so you can just change your mind at any point if you buy spells ahead of time just in case. But also I guess if Mystic Knights don’t count as “offensive magic” then you won’t even be that badly off.

I guess it’ll suck to have to hunt down relevant monsters for !Blue if you wait the entire game though.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 20, 2021

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Fork tower probably isn't doable unless you stockpile a bunch of rods to break. That wouldn't lock you out of the end of the game but you wouldn't be able to get the world 3 sub and therefore no mime job and you'd only get 2 tablets for the legendary weapons.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

multijoe posted:

Several.

That said, it's definitely doable. No750 is no direct casters of any sort, including WHM, Chemist, and the music jobs, and gets a good number of succesful playthroughs every 4JF. Just dropping BLM/RDM/SMN/BLU/GEO/Time Mage is going to be smoother than that by leaving you WHM (lets you make any fight a battle of attrition), Chemist (can technically solo the entire game as a level 1, spending most of it mini and frogged, if you're willing to do a lot of reloading while stealing), Bard (mass Stop/Haste and level manipulation), and Dancer (... Equip Ribbons I guess? Or the sole melee rep if you're doing specifically magic but not offensive.)

Even if you define it VERY expansively, no NIN because of scrolls and no Mystic Knight because it uses MP, Ranger/Berserker/Monk/Knight, RNG/RNG/SAM/SAM, and SAM/THF/2x BST have all succeeded this time around. Ranger in particular gets to freely select between the three classical elements as soon as it unlocks, and Beastmaster can bring exactly one of nearly anything to a fight.

Fork Tower is I know fine if you mix Mystic Knight in, and probably easily doable with anything but Monks only via Mage Mashers; the failstate for Silence not proccing again in time to refresh is just bouncing back to the start of the battle, so just autobattle and go do something else until RNG works out for you. Monk would need to stack reflect rings or spam Chakra and wait out his entire MP pool.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 20, 2021

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

multijoe posted:

The only real trouble spot would be Omni in the Fork Tower, but a Mystic Knight with Silence Spellblade can handle that easily. Otherwise you can use Mage Mashers for Silence procs then beat up on him while he's silenced.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

blakelmenakle posted:

The only real trouble spot would be Omni in the Fork Tower, but a Mystic Knight with Silence Spellblade can handle that easily. Otherwise you can use Mage Mashers for Silence procs then beat up on him while he's silenced.

Doesnt that dude have a massive attack power if he's silenced or berserked?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Doesnt that dude have a massive attack power if he's silenced or berserked?

If Berserked, yes, he's a significantly harder hitter than Minotaur (lv53, 100 attack, 20 multiplier vs lv37, 99 attack, 9 multiplier.) But silenced he just tries to cast and fails.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

On the other hand you can get two of them now with quicksave abuse unless they've patched that out already.

https://twitter.com/konarofu2/status/1458970843740995588

I'll try that!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You also just... don't have to do Fork Tower. Everything after Pyramid in world 3 is optional as gently caress.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

multijoe posted:

It's basically impossible to screw yourself. You don't miss out on anything permanently by not leveling certain jobs. Absolute worst case scenario, you can just grind them out if you need it.

But also, offensive magic jobs are extremely good, so you should level them anyway.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thunder rod+thundaga is all you need if you wanna grind jobs on statues and experiment.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thank you for the FJF science all!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

For some reason this seems like it's just a Final Fantasy thing. FFV and FFT both make axes have an extra-wide range of damage variance, too.

See I don't even mind the variance that much, as long as the variance isn't as ridiculous as the game makes it. As was pointed out the damage formula can roll anything from 0 to 1.1 for the weapons' damage variance which is what makes them really lovely. It's also weirdly lower on the high end than other weapons (which get 1.125 instead of 1.1). I feel like something like 0.5-1.25 would be a much better compromise, since that would allow for big hits every so often, as well as hits that, while significantly weaker than what you "should" be doing, aren't loving two digit damage. It would still make axes and hammers a little weaker than other weapons (as the average damage with that variance would still be less than 1) but it wouldn't make them so goddamn useless.

Harrow posted:

SFF outright removes hand bombs, too, replacing them with knuckles so that Monks can do more damage with punching if you want.

Hmm, I dunno that I like that change much, actually. It is true that Barehanded/Amber Armlet are pretty well useless in XII, but hand bombs do have a use, they don't get an accuracy penalty in bad weather like bows do, and don't just flat out miss like crossbows do (although given the damage formula, doing two digit damage feels like the same as missing). So I would actually be kind of annoyed by that change, it feels like it would've been much better to just fix the damage variance for hand bombs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Twelve by Pies posted:

It is true that Barehanded/Amber Armlet are pretty well useless in XII, but hand bombs do have a use, they don't get an accuracy penalty in bad weather like bows do,

How did I never know this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hmm, I dunno that I like that change much, actually. It is true that Barehanded/Amber Armlet are pretty well useless in XII, but hand bombs do have a use, they don't get an accuracy penalty in bad weather like bows do, and don't just flat out miss like crossbows do (although given the damage formula, doing two digit damage feels like the same as missing). So I would actually be kind of annoyed by that change, it feels like it would've been much better to just fix the damage variance for hand bombs.

SFF also took away the accuracy penalty in bad weather for crossbows and lets crossbows combo, so the change is compensated for at least a little bit. Now guns and crossbows are both reliable ranged weapons and crossbows fill a similar role to what a non-random hand bomb would be. That said in the context of the TZA job system, the jobs that could use hand bombs didn’t really need them anyway (especially Machinist).

Even with the PS2 board, SFF’s crossbows fill the role hand bombs would have, as a Strength-scaling, weather-agnostic ranged option.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

That said in the context of the TZA job system, the jobs that could use hand bombs didn’t really need them anyway (especially Machinist).

I disagree with that, if you go Foebreaker/Shikari (like I did with Basch in my last playthrough) hand bombs are the only ranged weapon you get. You can always just use Telekinesis for flying enemies I guess (or just use another character) but it was still a useful thing to have a ranged weapon handy. I'm guessing SFF gives Foebreaker some other ranged weapon though, but for base TZA Foebreaker having hand bombs is very useful depending on what you pair it with.

e: never mind Shikari gets access to guns, forgot about that. Still, if you start out as Foebreaker, it's hand bombs or nothing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I usually play with game audio through my monitor's built-in speakers and use my headphones for voice chat, I have difficulty parsing speech when they're both coming out of the same speaker. I knew my monitor speakers were crappy but until doing some comparisons I didn't know they dropped the bassline from Lenna's Theme entirely. So I'd never heard it before now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I disagree with that, if you go Foebreaker/Shikari (like I did with Basch in my last playthrough) hand bombs are the only ranged weapon you get. You can always just use Telekinesis for flying enemies I guess (or just use another character) but it was still a useful thing to have a ranged weapon handy. I'm guessing SFF gives Foebreaker some other ranged weapon though, but for base TZA Foebreaker having hand bombs is very useful depending on what you pair it with.

e: never mind Shikari gets access to guns, forgot about that. Still, if you start out as Foebreaker, it's hand bombs or nothing.

That's true, Foebreaker doesn't get another ranged option other than hand bombs, and SFF doesn't give them one. In general, though, SFF's rebalanced jobs option intentionally makes each job a little less "complete" so that your characters need two jobs, instead of TZA's jobs which were originally designed to be standalone. And Telekinesis comes pretty late so you definitely feel the lack of a ranged weapon or reach weapon (poles or spears) if a character doesn't have one.

That said, the main way to play SFF doesn't use the job system at all--the main version of the mod gives each character their own character-specific, "lore-appropriate" job. Balthier gets Leading Man, for example, which makes him a sort of Machinist + Uhlan + Chemist hybrid and he's generally a great support and reliable damage-dealer, while Penelo gets Dancer, which makes her a sort of Monk/White Mage combo. I'm using the "rebalanced 12 jobs" option instead because I like putting together job combos.

Almost every weapon type has been rebalanced at least somewhat. There are a lot more elemental damage-dealing swords and katanas now. White Robes don't boost holy damage anymore so Knight doesn't care about mystic armor. Greatswords now all have auto-buffs (like the knight swords in FFT I think?) but can't combo anymore so they're intended to be tank weapons. Crossbows ignore weather and can combo (they kinda rule in SFF). Axes and hammers are no longer random (and are also crazy strong). You can use shields with staves and rods. A few more pieces of light and heavy armor boost elements so you can put together some nice weapon/armor combos to get a good damage boost. There are a few other changes but those are the biggest weapon/armor balance ones. Also time magick has Quake spells now so Time Battlemages have some attack spells.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 20, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Objets d'art are way better than anything else if you have L5 Death. Movers are literally at the end of the game, and you can't do the quick save exploit from the GBA version.

I have yet to use a blue mage so I'm just using poo poo tons of Gold Needles. Not as fast but it's working fine. There's no way I have the patience to get any of the kobs to 999 abo though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How obvious was it at the time that FFV is actually an adaptation of The Neverending Story with the names changed?

Four of the heroes lose their steed at some point. The bad guy wields the Nothing. You get advice from a moss-covered turtle. The climax has you stranded in space where you remake the world with the mcguffin you had in hand. Though your dragon isn't fluffy in this one.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How obvious was it at the time that FFV is actually an adaptation of The Neverending Story with the names changed?

Four of the heroes lose their steed at some point. The bad guy wields the Nothing. You get advice from a moss-covered turtle. The climax has you stranded in space where you remake the world with the mcguffin you had in hand. Though your dragon isn't fluffy in this one.

I've never noticed this, so uh. You might be the first? :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so I'm at ExDeath 1 in FF5 and I'm getting crushed. This is where I gave up 10 years ago when I played it for the first time on PS1. It's also why I did a little level and abp grinding before I went to his castle in this playthrough. All my nerds are level 34/35.

I got Carbuncle. I have every spell and every other summon that I'm aware of. What the gently caress am I supposed to do about AoE zombie spam? I don't have any ribbons or status resist gear.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Have you considered simply downloading a completed save of FF5 and skip to the credits

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That seemed snarky. He’s weak to Slow, and regen is also very useful. Flame rings are very useful.

certain abilities like mug and jump and zeninaga don’t trigger the dispel reaction, and carbuncle is only important for the second phase

It’s really just a big DPS race without a gimmick. If you have light staves you can break them for HEAVY DAMAGE

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Weak to L3 Flare too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
wait isn't w2 exdeath the guy who hastes himself if you try to cast slow on him

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I knew about Float and cast Carbuncle. I have no idea why I didn't think to try Slow :doh:

That should probably help a lot. Is there a way to cast Protect on the whole party? Mashing right doesn't work! Or is that a separate spell?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Unless PR changed this, I'm pretty sure zombie only sticks if the attack that inflicts it actually kills you, so if you keep your health up it should be a non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yep. He deals heavy damage, especially if you're level 3 multiple, but if you can keep HP up (whether through actual healers or just letting your backline die to non-Zombie attacks while your frontline beats on him with !Spellblade Drain) he doesn't have any solutions to getting outhealed unless he's hasted himself and can Hurricane-Zombie Breath between your turns.